Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Drizztonyourface t1_iud1xt4 wrote

Seems like all of Asia is. Central and South America as well. It's perfectly fine to be racist, as long as you aren't American or european.

−1

Creation98 t1_iudj36s wrote

America truly is one of the least racist countries. You’ll be crucified for pointing that out on reddit though. Lol

He-is-climbing t1_iudk0p2 wrote

You're more likely to get crucified for the victim complex than any reasonable comparison between racial discrimination among different countries.

America ranks very low among other Western countries on most racial discrimination metrics because nearly half of our population exhibit some level of racist beliefs. America is a relatively good country to be a minority in in spite of our culture, not because we are intrinsically not racist.

Creation98 t1_iudkrv3 wrote

Fair enough. Though possessing “racist” beliefs is a very broad definition and is incredibly subjective.

Someone could possess some biases in America that some list deems to be “racist,” but still not be nearly as racist as, say a Korean, who has a blanket ban against all black people from their business.

marmorset t1_iuer93t wrote

Korean business owners don't ban black people from their stores, they're the only ones willing to open up in black neighborhoods and deal with the problems.

I grew up in a black neighborhood and Korean shopkeepers weren't following around black people (and the few white customers) because they're racist, they were doing it because they learned who the thieves were. Koreans business owners want to make money, they care about green more than skin color.

Creation98 t1_iueryzt wrote

You’re right. I do not disagree with you. I’m talking more about Asian countries overseas. Not Asian Americans.

marmorset t1_iuevjae wrote

I was in China a couple of times and I don't know if they were racist or not because everyone treats everyone else like crap.

marmorset t1_iues03m wrote

>America ranks very low among other Western countries on most racial discrimination metrics because nearly half of our population exhibit some level of racist beliefs.

Most Western countries don't have non-white populations as large as the US does.

And as a white who grew up in a black neighborhood, and now live in an area with more Indians than anywhere else in America, I can tell you that the racism in this country is not coming from where you think it's coming from.

bernardhayse t1_iuetohg wrote

>racism in this country is not coming from where you think it's coming from

I thought a good amount of it was structural, you know, like hiring practices and loans

marmorset t1_iuezhje wrote

I've worked for both big and small companies and black people were more likely to get hired than anyone else. If you're a black person with a college degree you're more likely to get hired than anyone else. Joe Biden said of Obama, "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man," and he was criticized for it, but if you fit that description and apply to a big company they put you on the fast track.

The people in banks lend to the people who are going to pay back loans. I don't think the issue is racism, it's personal financial history. I'm a real estate agent, there's no issue in black people getting loans or buying houses. If you can manage your money and have a stable history you'll get a loan.

The structural racism is in schools, black children get a poor education and the school system just claims it needs more money but nothing ever changes. Think about any case that became national news involving a black person and the police. Do you think any of those black men had a high school diploma?

Seventy percent of black children are born to unwed mothers, and it's been shown time and again that growing up without a father has a tremendous negative effect on both girls and boys. I have two kids and I can tell right away which of their friends come from intact families, which kids are only children, and which kids are from broken homes. That's the fundamental problem but it's hard to think of solutions and society has chosen to look the other way.

bernardhayse t1_iuf0yop wrote

Structural racism is definitely in your line of business. You must be familiar with redlining and which go hand in hand with the poor school systems.

Companies may hire black people but to say they are getting fast tracked is way off. Nepotism is rampant in positions of power with businesses. Small business hire people they know, I know from experience.

And there was a concerted effort starting with the Nixon administration to disrupt the family structure in black and hippie communities all the way through to Clinton. You are familiar with the crack epidemic and denial of home loans during the 50s when the vast majority of americans accumulated their wealth?

marmorset t1_iuff3hn wrote

I've seen no redlining. Most [of] my clients are non-white and they never have trouble getting mortgages or buying into specific neighborhoods. I see (non-white) people almost exclusively want to live with people like them.

If you run a small business nepotism makes sense, if that fails you've lose everything. Hiring relatives and people you know isn't to excludes others, it's to hire people you trust.

Although LBJ's Great Society didn't help, I don't blame either side for disruption of the black family, the rates of unwed mothers, for all races, shoots up immediately after abortion and contraception become legalized. Although it freed up women from being forced into marriages to avoid social stigma, it also allowed women to have children without being forced into marriage. It's not clear why blacks were more affected.

Unlike fentanyl and oxycontin, crack was a big city problem, it wasn't nationwide. New York, Newark, and Philadelphia were hit hardest by crack. It wasn't that black people were more likely to use crack, it's that people in big cities were the ones affected by crack, and that's where most black people tend to live.

While it's true black people in the past had a difficult time accumulating wealth due to government policies, those policies aren't in effect anymore and immigrants have no trouble accumulating wealth. I see it everyday, poor immigrant grandparents, parents go to college, their kids grow up in the suburbs.

I'm mixed race but look white, grew up in a black neighborhood, in a broken home, with a mentally ill mother, on welfare, and lived in the projects. Any kid who did well in school got good grades or "talked white" was relentlessly bullied, regardless of race. And since it was a majority black neighborhood and a majority black school, that meant mostly black kids. I don't know why that started and you can blame Nixon or Clinton, but black people have destroyed the lives of more black people than any government program or supposed racist conspiracy. Even today black men shoot other black men at incredible rates. I don't know the solution, but blaming the problem on racist whites in the 1950s is nonsense.

bernardhayse t1_iufg8qa wrote

You dont blame any fuckin side? Theres literally audio of John Erhlichman talking about disrupting the hippie and black communities with heavy handed drug policies. Like there's no debate about their intentions so idk why you're trying here.

Black people were absolutely more likely to be caught in possession of crack because their communities were heavily policed by design. Go google this shit. Wtf? And being denied homes hurt their wealth, you know what's easier to get than coke when you're poor?

The fact that you deny the existence of redlining is hilarious. I'm done with this convo.

South_Data2898 t1_iuecln6 wrote

>America is a relatively good country to be a minority in in spite of our culture

Lol. How fucking oblivious are you? The US has ~25% of the planet's prison population, ~33% of which is comprised of black people, when they are ~15% of the population in the country as a whole.

Get your head out of your ass dummy.

−3

marmorset t1_iuetjjr wrote

You're throwing those numbers around as if they mean something. If more black people are committing crimes then there are going to be more black people in prison and that's what's happening.

You can claim cops are racist, juries are racist, everyone is racist, but you can watch the news and see who's beating Asian people and Jews for no reason, who's getting into gun fights on sidewalks, and who's looting stores.

It's not racist to acknowledge that black people commit more crimes, but the biggest crime is that if you're a young black man growing up in the US you don't have a chance and no one is willing to look for solutions. It's easier to accuse everyone else of racism than deal with the fact that if you're a young black man in a big city, you're fucked.

−2

South_Data2898 t1_iuf8z74 wrote

"Black people just commit more crimes." says the totally not racist white person patting themselves on the back for how progressive his country is.

marmorset t1_iufis8f wrote

I'm mixed race, I only look white.

Black people commit crimes at a higher rate, it's a fact. That's the problem, not that black people are incarcerated for committing those crimes. Acknowledging reality isn't racist. And there are obviously problems, but if things are terrible for blacks in the US, I'd be curious to know why Nigerians are the most successful immigrant population.

bernardhayse t1_iugdtbi wrote

Because they were targeted for disruption, fool.

marmorset t1_iuieqq8 wrote

Lies and name calling, I see we've reached the end.

South_Data2898 t1_iufm1i1 wrote

"I only look white, but black people are just more criminal", says the totally not racist white person patting themselves on the back for how progressive they are.

Edit: Awww, da poor widdle racist troglodyte got their feelings hurt and blocked me. Hahahaha.

−1

marmorset t1_iuieeh6 wrote

Why don't you stop being a racist and liar? There's no racism involved in what I wrote and you're restating what I said. You're dishonest.

South_Data2898 t1_iuec95q wrote

You've never actually been to another country in your entire life, have you? American white people are hilariously naïve.