Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sureyeahdude t1_itbqp0w wrote

The Aquatic Gardens and Anacostia River Trail

ih8t314 t1_itcg2kw wrote

I’m in Burrville - so Marvin Gaye trail

BansheeLoveTriangle t1_itcjfhf wrote

What times of the year are aquatic gardens worth the visit?

sureyeahdude t1_itcmjzy wrote

During the lotus bloom in July they are the best but they are great right now and in spring and pretty much always. A true gem.

TelemachusTook t1_itddbxr wrote

Spring and fall are great times to go. Try to go in the morning to avoid crowds and you will find nothing but really nice elderly people who are passionate about using telescopic lenses to take pictures of dragonflies.

The marsh area is especially nice. There is quite a lot of wildlife, so if there is a child in your life who is interested in turtles, I’d definitely recommend.

Neither-Copy785 t1_itbs77s wrote

The Franciscan Monastery Gardens in Brookland. Absolutely beautiful!

msmith1994 t1_itc9t3l wrote

Also Murry and Paul’s! Cash only diner that’s been around since the 60s.

dcistoodamnhot t1_itejvrg wrote

My favorite DC breakfast and basically the only reason I keep cash on hand.

kittengr t1_itdcjbv wrote

And San Antonio grill! Best lomo saltado in the city.

Neither-Copy785 t1_itdoupy wrote

Is that place good? We have been thinking about checking it out but it always looks deserted which makes me nervous!

kittengr t1_itdp9mv wrote

It’s fabulous! It’s usually busy but it’s pretty big so that might be why you think it looks deserted. Also the windows are weird. I’d travel across the city for it. Fortunately it’s 3 mins walk 😂

LeektheGeek t1_itcthmz wrote

Hahaha not falling for this, Tiktokker!

norakb123 t1_itdqpk8 wrote

lol! You could always answer Wonderland Ballroom like that one hidden gem video a TTer did!

lmurp t1_itf6ndn wrote

His account makes my blood boil

[deleted] t1_itbtm32 wrote

[deleted]

Cool_Story_Bra t1_itc3a9i wrote

Ok but kinda true for the H street one. Nobody does talk about that and it’s the best option for late night after bar food in the area.

−1

[deleted] t1_itbumdt wrote

[deleted]

Al_Bert94 t1_itd0t4i wrote

Siam house is 🔥

9throwawayDERP t1_itd4lhk wrote

Best Thai in NW.

GlobalTradeBro t1_ite20b4 wrote

Nope - that’s Thai Pad

9throwawayDERP t1_ite379k wrote

> Thai Pad

Nah. Little Serow is second. Beau Thai in Mt Pleasant gets third. Thai Pad is good, but not great. Not a fan of Paragon. Still haven't tried the new one on Calvert. Mai Thai has gone seriously downhill. Soi 38 tries too hard, but isn't bad. Thai Chef is good and may displace Beau Thai for third.

But yeah, I like my thai food.

GenericReditAccount t1_itbqtyw wrote

Dumbarton Oaks garden and the park behind it

Not enough people know Green Almond Pantry relocated into the food hall on Grace Street a few years ago. They had to decrease their hours bc they weren’t busy enough in the evenings.

NPRjunkieDC t1_item0wi wrote

Just checked their menu and lots of tasty vegetarian options

MortimerAdler t1_ite6smt wrote

I finally made my way over to Dumbarton Oaks and was kind of disappointed that there was an entry fee at the garden gate. Did I go to the wrong place?

reborndead t1_itenu8v wrote

the museum has an entry fee. there's a park in the rear that is open to the public

GenericReditAccount t1_iteonwr wrote

The garden and house have an entry fee if $7. You can also get a season pass, which is a good deal if you go multiple times a year (we do).

The park/woods behind are free to access though, and have nice walking paths along a brook. Very pretty, especially in the Spring.

9throwawayDERP t1_itc29nv wrote

The parks in upper NW. Battery Kimble, Klingle, Res 630, Soapstone, Dunburton/Montrose, and Glover Park.

Most people in DC may seem to barely know about them, even though some of them abut 10 story condos. But they are gorgeous, especially right now in the fall and are usually pretty empty.

ajdigregorio t1_itcaay2 wrote

meats and foods (bloomingdale)

always blows my mind that there are people that haven’t been.

MLSing t1_itelsyj wrote

10/10 name too! Plenty of reasons to try it

slutbag69420 t1_itcnd7t wrote

McClellan’s Retreat is a great cocktail bar, club hell is a great jazz bar, red derby is a great dive bar. All a little under the radar, especially club hell

NPRjunkieDC t1_iteiwu5 wrote

Red Derby has great reviews! The other 2 are steps from me

BirdLawyerPerson t1_iter8jk wrote

McClellans Retreat has a fantastic selection of great whiskeys. Great place to drink whiskey or cocktails.

neil_va t1_itey9md wrote

Ah I used to use McClellan's as a date place when I worked closer to that area.

the__rural__juror t1_itcbkld wrote

Primrose's Happy Hour burger

Glenwood Cemetery

the gym at the Edgewood Rec Center!

manillafolda t1_itcbva3 wrote

BloomBars, Odd Provisions, and the Columbia Heights Green community garden

DCXPA t1_itdfdsp wrote

Second odd provisions. Some unique stuff and not too expensive. Plus they have rice balls.

NavyYardBro t1_itccm5a wrote

Broad Branch Market

IAmBoodle t1_itcjlqm wrote

The chipotle chicken sandwich is one of the best I’ve ever had and the chicken salad is incredible.

DrunkWoodchuck t1_itc7oky wrote

Huacatay (Edgewood) and Yangs Market (Eckington).

Capitol_Limited t1_itcjjh3 wrote

I remember when Yang’s was just a regular corner store that we would terrorize after HS on our way to the G8

exoticmatter421 t1_itclzqv wrote

Subbs by Carl in Brookland.

The place is a total dive but the subs are awesome and Carl is an amazing human, it’s normally packed for lunch.

tacuache t1_itcoqgi wrote

Open Crumb.

Frederick Douglass NPS.

The view of DC from Our Lady of Perpetual Help.

Anacostia Park Skating pavilion.

Amateursamurai429 t1_itcsa95 wrote

Columbia Heights -Mi Casita Taqueria, Elizabeth Pupuseria and Dely, Lymans Tavern, Rue Cafe.

Sparqman t1_itcgf1j wrote

Showtime

Alex3M3TI8 t1_itgbth6 wrote

Love Showtime. They also opened a sister bar around the corner from me in Brightwood called Neptune Lounge. Great bar.

lmboyer04 t1_itcrkoh wrote

SW Waterfront Park (just keep walking down the wharf after it ends), SW duck pond, botanical gardens and the outdoor garden which is open later

mmeeplechase t1_ite2r7o wrote

Bishop’s Garden on the Cathedral campus is super pretty and great for cozying up with a book or sketch pad.

webbmoncure t1_itdwe1u wrote

Fort DuPont park trails for legit mountain biking in DC.

Separate-Landscape48 t1_itdy6ze wrote

The 7/11 where people get routinely mugged on my block is dope when I roll in at 3am they’ll usually make me a fresh pizza while I drink my slushie

crabmusic t1_itg1cy1 wrote

Klingle Valley Trail for a short walk or jog is beautiful, especially when you go under the Connecticut Ave bridge. Some really cool graffiti down there too.

ghdawg6197 t1_itcsbix wrote

Until it closed, Pan Am market in Mt Pleasant. Great Indian food from a nice old lady in a convenience store. Nowadays? Probably Addis Paris cafe. The French toast is crazy.

thenewjs713 t1_ited3pv wrote

Lots of Green Space in Brightwood

blissfully_chilling t1_itgp9ya wrote

Grill from Ipanema on Columbia Road NW - food absolutely slaps and portions are huge.

awaymsg t1_itgv3gy wrote

Not sure if it’s “hidden,” but BreadSoda is a nice, somewhat affordable bar/restaurant in Glover Park

[deleted] t1_itjgijy wrote

[deleted]

awaymsg t1_itjgw98 wrote

Their happy hour is pretty generous. I think it's like $5 well drinks and select drafts. They also have sandwiches in the $8 range that come with a bag of chips, and their more substantial food is still less than $15. The place is never that busy, but lively enough that it doesn't seem empty or awkward. They also have games, pool tables, and I think ping pong?

YarLady t1_itdi9cr wrote

That would be telling.

rafdaman15 t1_iteh7tg wrote

The pinnacle apartment complex in NE.

mastakebob t1_itelg7j wrote

Jimmy Valentine's Lonely Hearts Club

Unsigned dive-y bar on Bladensburg in Carver Langston, surprising good beer selection. Same owner as Lil Ms Whiskeys.

NewsLuver t1_iteny62 wrote

Spirit of Justice Park

JosuetheBear t1_itcawdy wrote

There’s a levy I like near me.

heels_n_skirt t1_iteo43w wrote

Brookside garden, Paul Kee and Costco

ih8t314 t1_itcg4sg wrote

The Eastern Marker

−1