Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Rugrats-theme-song t1_iznx3iq wrote

Yeah just go to the dc parking enforcement website. ParkMobile will have the zone and time you paid for parking. I think you just upload the receipt and an explanation. As long as the information on the citation match the parking receipt it should get dismissed easily and all online

Hopefully you’re not like me and didn’t put in the wrong zone

Edit: damn there were hella typos

awaymsg t1_izo0cay wrote

I once put the wrong zone because I parked kind of in between two park mobile zones, and just typed in the number on the first sign I saw. Of course it was the wrong one, but DC still waived the ticket since I proved that I paid for the time and that the signs were a bit confusing.

frameddummy t1_izo6esc wrote

I've also had good luck contesting tickets. Usually they dismiss solely based on the explanation and uploaded evidence, in my experience.

Classic-Ad684 t1_izom30k wrote

Exactly. Once Ingot a ticket in the mail for running a red light. Was getting ready to pay. Something said look closer at the picture. I went online and blew up the photo and I did not run a red light at all. I was going straight but the left turn light was red. I circled, commented and explained there was no way I ran a red light. Uploaded all of that and sent it to traffic adjudication and the ticket was dismissed.

LumpyPumpkin21 t1_izp19r8 wrote

No matter what, it shouldn’t be on the OP to have to remedy someone else’s error - the whole situation just adds unnecessary burden into the OP’s life when they tried to do the right thing. Plus, it adds to the issue that the ticketing person & the arbitration staff are likely paid in some very small part paid out of the OP’s district tax dollars…

This is like when your medical insurance doesn’t cover something that you have proof they need to cover…and it’s on you to take the time out of your day to prove to them that they need to do their jobs correctly.

Brickleberried t1_izogxw9 wrote

7 of the 9 parking tickets I've been issued in DC have been wrong. I've been towed twice because of it, and both times, they couldn't tell me where they towed my car to. One of the times, they didn't even have a record of my car being towed. I had a whole rant about it earlier this year.

Thankfully, I've won every dispute, even if the arbitrator is snotty about it when I am clearly correct and gave a well-supported dispute.

LetThemEatVeganCake t1_izpopct wrote

My registration expired June of 2020 and I got a ticket in June of 2019 for expired registration. Like, even if it was the correct year, it would still be fine in June?? Pretty much every car on the street I was parked on had a ticket, smh

UntrainedFoodCritic t1_izpua5r wrote

It’s almost comforting hearing that it’s this bad in other cities as well. Richmond is known for this kind of shit

lmboyer04 t1_izob84j wrote

I’ve had this happen in another city and just appealed by mail. Was a pain in the ass and took them 3 months but they dropped it. Sorry OP also don’t understand why everyone is so annoying in these comments lol

Hand_OfTheKing t1_izogavf wrote

I've seen it frequently when the post is a complaint about anything related to DC government malfunctioning, I wonder if they simply feel personally attacked or what.

lmboyer04 t1_izogep5 wrote

I mean the DC government has always had plenty of problems… just in denial I guess

pancakeNate t1_izooprc wrote

I saw cops ticketing around the cherry blossoms one morning, in a zone marked by some "no parking during these times but not these other times" signs. A large family (probably Indian, based on their dress and accents, not exactly relevant except for their ability to decipher the qualified sign) showed up and pulled in to park in what looked like an open spot, which was in the middle of a bunch of other people parked illegally. As they started getting out, I warned them that there was a cop nearby who was ticketing all the cars. That cop heard me, then proceeded to berate & tell me off for warning them about the ticket. It was shocking. He'd rather have written that family a ticket than have them just follow the rules when told.

cptjeff t1_izot95v wrote

> He'd rather have written that family a ticket than have them just follow the rules when told.

Because the primary point of all of these rules is revenue.

invalidmail2000 t1_izotxgn wrote

It's definitely not.

−15

cptjeff t1_izou668 wrote

Then why does every city agency behave exactly as if it is?

this_shit t1_izpfak7 wrote

Used to live in DC, live in Philly now. Parking enforcement is a critical public service. Without it your city will turn into Philly: people park on the crosswalks, they park on the sidewalk. They park on people's private yards. They will turn the center lane of wide boulevards into a parking lane. They will double and triple park on the sidewalk. They will park in the single traffic lane of small streets. The sheer obstruction of cars in Philly is at a critical mass.

This is all because our parking enforcement agency restricts itself to enforcement in metered/permitted zones and literally ignores everywhere else. The police won't touch parking enforcement with a 10' pole.

The out of control parking is significantly diminishing quality of life. Some streets you have to walk in the road to get around cars parked on the sidewalk.

Effective parking enforcement is a critical public service.

NPRjunkieDC t1_izotb5p wrote

They probably work on commission. His reaction is proof

invalidmail2000 t1_izou331 wrote

Literally no police or any parking enforcement officers anywhere in or around DC work on commission.

NPRjunkieDC t1_izoubk5 wrote

Then why be so pushy? And say you're OK but then ticket you. They seem to take more pride in their work then other city employees

invalidmail2000 t1_izouh3o wrote

I can't look into every person's brain to describe their actions.

I can tell you though they don't work on commission.

slicknilla t1_iznz6h3 wrote

I recently had a 311 request that actually resulted in them ticketing the person I called for, which was honestly shocking as in the past they've just closed the ticket with no explanation.

emilianajuana t1_izoxtij wrote

Me too! I was shocked at how quickly they came too. But then I saw that the vehicle has over $3000 in unpaid parking tickets, so I wonder if it even matters…

slicknilla t1_izp2ibn wrote

I did actually check the one I reported, and they had no outstanding tickets. Maybe I just got lucky

Ouroborus13 t1_izobvpm wrote

I’ve requested to contest several parking tickets (all paid by ParkMobile). You don’t need a hearing. There’s an email option and you fill it out all online and then they put the ticket on hold while reviewing it. I’ve done this several times but have yet to actually hear one way or the other about any of the tickets. It’s always when I’ve paid via ParkMobile. As far as I can tell, they either don’t check or they give tickets and hope that you won’t contest them.

dmpastuf t1_izor2vz wrote

...and that? That my friends? that's corruption.

GuyNoirPI t1_iznvcgu wrote

Contesting the ticket’s going to take less time than the post.

Fletcherperson t1_izo0br5 wrote

Not true. I had the same issue and I went to contest the ticket multiple times and it wasn’t registered in their system yet, every time I checked. I’m with OP.

Ok_Concentrate_75 t1_izo31g3 wrote

Yea they are predatory and ironically the only consistent police force in dc...its a metaphor

Embarrassed_Bid_4970 t1_izohye4 wrote

The problem your having is that some people are assholes. I used to work for parking enforcement. So long as a citizen wasn't overly rude or disrespectful of me I'd do my best to help them navigate the complexities of the system. Whereas I had at least one coworker who fucking delighted in torturing people for no fucking reason other than she could (she's dead now, after suffering for a few years with a stroke, so karma is a bitch).

terpdx t1_izpxnoo wrote

You're right and OP is right with their "Edit 2" comment. People ARE assholes (anyone who's worked a retail/service job can attest), and this sub IS full of sanctimonious Redditors who claim moral superiority in one sentence and toss mud at you in the next.

What actually was said by OP is unknown - they could very well have asked if they were "all set" with that sarcastic attitude and tone I'm sure you've heard before - but we're supposed to give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

treefitty350 t1_izomiva wrote

Citizen? You genuinely let parking enforcement go to your head lmfao

−19

invalidmail2000 t1_izou76g wrote

I mean that's what they are.....

treefitty350 t1_izousat wrote

So is a parking babysitter. Calling someone a citizen is some military authority wannabe shit a LOT of the time.

−13

invalidmail2000 t1_izp4u5h wrote

Nowhere is anyone's official title 'parking babysitter'

treefitty350 t1_izp6n9t wrote

Yeah I'll show respect to the parking lot army when they stop pretending they're powerful

−2

embracethepale t1_izor0n7 wrote

Contest the ticket; there is a specific option for “paid for parking with app” or something like that. Take a screenshot of the park mobile receipt and attach it as proof. Annoying but very unlikely you’ll be stuck with this ticket.

Brainjacker t1_iznzblo wrote

Last summer I got a ticket for parking in zone 1 - stuck right on top of our zone 1 sticker. Dispute & move on.

kr1mson t1_izovqd0 wrote

Fuck those guys. I had the same thing happen to me. I walked up to a parking enforcement person (who was 100% illegally parked in her vehicle just playing games on her phone) and pointed directly at my car and the parking sign and asked if I was legally parked and if I would get a ticket and she said I was good... Not 10 minutes later she went and ticketed my car.

I fought it but DC parking is full of twats and they straight up denied any appeal.

Then they wonder why everyone hates public officials and any type of authority figures.

secretsquirrel1492 t1_izokta3 wrote

Only took three comments in to find people telling you not to drive. Shouldn’t take much longer to find the bike freaks.

pro-laps t1_izny71p wrote

just don't pay it - nobody else does

[deleted] t1_izoi409 wrote

[deleted]

invalidmail2000 t1_izotw60 wrote

Seems like a problem with park mobile not DC. But at the end of the day it's your job to make sure you are parked legally, not theirs.

TimeWorldliness t1_izooxhv wrote

It's DC, man. Everything's a fucking joke.

stupid_nut t1_izpc9kk wrote

I try to only drive into DC on Sundays when the parking is free.

IIIRenegadeIII t1_izpp2ny wrote

Wasn’t there a post not too long ago sharing a vehicle that had like $10,000 in fines, unpaid? If that car isn’t getting booted and impounded, honestly who gives a shit about even disputing a ticket then? Just ignore and don’t pay it, seems like no else is…

WC1-Stretch t1_izpvdpu wrote

My first parking ticket in DC was when I picked up a friend to take to the airport -- the parking enforcement car was blocking entrance to the alley behind her rowhouse. I parked against the curb and got her and her bag and returned, and the parking enforcement car had moved to double-park me, because they were out of paper to give me a ticket. So they told me I had a ticket that I'd have to look up. I did and contested it. My contest failed because curbside parking for greater than 2 hours on that street is reserved for residents.

It is preposterous.

Spaghettidan t1_izox9mz wrote

I just don’t pay for parking ever, and roll the dice. If you want my money you gotta work for it

AutoModerator t1_iznsg01 wrote

Your submission appears to be asking about parking.

Your first resources are available here and here.

Unless you are in a residential area of the city, there is no such thing as reliably free and easy long-term parking. Please read parking signs carefully, even locals get confused sometimes.

Useful apps for parking include ParkMobile for street parking and SpotHero for garage spaces.

Visiting a friend in the city? Ask them for a free visitor parking pass from any MPD station.

Did you receive a ticket? Are you guilty? If so, pay it. Pictures and incorrect information doesn't matter.

Parking resources for:

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

−1

2legit2lurk t1_iznvudu wrote

Annoying for sure, sorry OP. Do you have pics of the spot/car/signage? If you’ve got that and the e-receipt for the park mobile payment, IME getting it dismissed should be a piece of cake…or have I just been strangely fortunate thus far?

ocBtu t1_izpgwrm wrote

The downvotes are because everyone knows the meter maid is black. And blacks are off limits when one is complaining. Something about your friend's grandfather owning their greandfather, I think.

−6

Leather-Objective338 t1_izozdlh wrote

Calling someone pathetic for doing their job…relax

−17

djdmed90 OP t1_izp8z6f wrote

Her job isn’t to lie to the public so she can then write a ticket. I stand by what I said. Needless lying is pathetic, so if she or her coworkers do this, they’re pathetic.

[deleted] t1_iznwcx1 wrote

[deleted]

−20

wordsmith217 t1_iznzuul wrote

DC parking enforcement is not the police.

[deleted] t1_izo07cu wrote

[deleted]

−21

wordsmith217 t1_izo0bsm wrote

Right but in this case it sounds like OP dealt explicitly with parking enforcement so I’m not sure where you’re going with this.

[deleted] t1_izo1phq wrote

[deleted]

−22

wordsmith217 t1_izo1zqt wrote

I’m still very confused as to where MPD is involved here in any fashion.

[deleted] t1_izo29xo wrote

[deleted]

−4

wordsmith217 t1_izo2hvq wrote

What? 😂😂😂 I’m an apologist for simply telling you that parking enforcement and MPD are different entities?? Have a good day my man, sounds like you’ll need it.

veloharris t1_izo0nkk wrote

So you prove you paid and on your life goes.

−24

roadnotaken t1_iznvuiw wrote

*Dupont not DuPont

−31

PearlyPenilePapule1 t1_iznwxe6 wrote

Not OP, but my iPhone autocorrect does the same thing to Dupont.

ft_wanderer t1_iznyu85 wrote

Yeah the autocorrect drives me crazy with this.

medievalmachine t1_izo1h7d wrote

Well then it will eventually correct all the city bureaucrats and we should just switch now. DuPont.

ft_wanderer t1_izof3lt wrote

It really is quite arbitrary, since it’s named for the same Du Pont as DuPont. We should change it back and stop picking on this, as much as it makes me cringe for no good reason.

NorseTikiBar t1_iznzc8d wrote

I feel like if there were ever some sort of welcome packet for whenever people move into DC, updating your phone's autocorrect would be in the top 5 tips.

Mister_Snrub t1_izoad9l wrote

In Settings, create a text replacement. Use “Dupont” for the phrase and “DuPont” as the shortcut.

If you have a Mac, I believe any spellings you tell it to learn do sync to iOS, but there’s no interface for it that I know of on the phone.

borg359 t1_izoinrm wrote

This is an iOS issue. Don’t be a dick.

Blightking t1_izogbcc wrote

Have you considered not driving?

−47

djdmed90 OP t1_izogzv7 wrote

Oh god, I wish. I loathe driving and try to use public transit as much as possible, but still need my car periodically.

Blightking t1_izoi55v wrote

if you were going to dupont there's definitely public transport lol. eat the ticket, don't take your deathtrap next time

−57

djdmed90 OP t1_izoin6i wrote

Wow, I was agreeing with you and instead you attack me? Fuck you, dickhead.

GaijinYankee t1_izorl74 wrote

Come on man, I'm the biggest Metro fan on here, but it's common sense that public transit is not the solution for every trip and every person. And "deathtrap"? Seriously?

kirkl3s t1_izp4x6h wrote

Hey bro nice work you totally converted someone to your way of thinking by being a dickhead!

CUM-OMELETTE t1_izpnd6g wrote

Hopping on the train to let you know you should fuck yourself

chickunsendwich t1_izohorl wrote

"oh no I heckled a person tasked with parking enforcement into saying that she won't give me a ticket, and she gave me a ticket anyways! wtf!"

These workers encounter 100 people like you a day. Half of them will verbally accost the worker if they respond "yeah, you gotta fix that or you'll get a ticket". It's easier to just tell people they're set in order to continue with the drudgery w/o problems.

−58