Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MrSchnuffles t1_j6g5ni5 wrote

There will eventually be a year where I'm found lying face down on my partially cleared driveway with a snow shovel in my hand.

It seems that this year will not be the year.

TMacOnTheTrack t1_j6hzuyk wrote

Careful. Heart attacks whilst shoveling snow is the number one killer during a blizzard. I think like a dozen people died last month in Buffalo.

Take breaks. A cleared driveway is nice but your health is more important.

dr_shark t1_j6iz1o5 wrote

Great advice. Also, please try to get 30 minutes minimum of cardiovascular exercise a day. Harder to die of shoveling when you’re used to more strenuous activity.

dc_dobbz t1_j6hxhma wrote

We got 6 feet of snow in New England a few years back. Definitely thought that was gonna be my year.

RG3ST21 t1_j6kkzb1 wrote

If its the year I'm thinking, I remember the mayor of boston had to plead with people in a press conference to stop jumping out of windows into the snow.

cookiemonster1020 t1_j6ir6cz wrote

Never thought about it but that would be a nearly ideal way to kick the can.

born_to_kvetch t1_j6g9f2k wrote

Winter isn’t over yet.

Merker6 t1_j6gia8w wrote

Isn’t February peak snow month around here anyways? It sure seemed to be in Southeast PA growing up

Iamatitle t1_j6glalm wrote

Yep feb into march definitely seems to have the most accumulation

damnatio_memoriae t1_j6gsq3a wrote

blizzard of 93 was march but blizzard of 96 and 99 were both jan.

all three of shut the city down for a week.

i wasnt here for the other big ones in the 2000s but i think a couple were in feb and maybe one in jan.

rubermnkey t1_j6gxtwc wrote

we got like a solid 3 weeks off of school in 96 because it hit right when we were supposed to come back from the winter christmas/new years break. crazy shit, had to climb like a 12 foot tall banks of snow to get to the bus for a few weeks from how they cleared the roads, dug tunnels to all the neighbor kids backyards and had a big igloo for awhile. never know what the weather is going to be like around here though so fingers crossed snowmageddon 2.0 is around the corner.

jofijk t1_j6h0ozr wrote

Snowmageddon was early February 2010. I don't remember when the 2016 blizzard was but I feel like it was the last week of January at the earliest. I'm not getting my hopes up but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if we get hit with snow sometime in the next 2 months

damnatio_memoriae t1_j6gy4d4 wrote

yeah, same. so. much. sledding.

in 99 it was exam week so all our exams just got canceled lol.

garrag t1_j6ieu2v wrote

One of the best times of my life - long treks to meet friends, sledding/snowboarding neighborhood hills, nightly parties around fire pits. I was a senior in high school so we didn’t have to make up the missed days either!!

jlboygenius t1_j6ilvdn wrote

I think it was '93 or '96 when the gov shut down. My dad was home from work for a week or two. Gov opened back up and then we got snow and he was home for another week. he was getting reallllly bored. This was pre-internet so there wasn't much to do but play nintendo and watch tv.

RG3ST21 t1_j6kl462 wrote

Yes! it was a high I'll never have again.

knuckboy t1_j6hifky wrote

Around 2003 was a President's Day one that shut things down for a few days. I had a driveway ON Columbia Pike that was hell to dig out from the snowplows.

Endurance_Cyclist t1_j6gttqs wrote

Statistically, January 30 to Feburary 1 is peak snowfall season in D.C.

https://weatherspark.com/s/20957/3/Average-Winter-Weather-in-Washington-D.C.;-United-States#Figures-Snowfall

JuliusCeejer t1_j6gp4qd wrote

It feels like the last week of feb and first week of march is when we get our snow

BarukhPhoto t1_j6gtfbm wrote

I was raised in Philly during 60s & early 70s, and we rarely had snow, only an occasional snow or ice storm. Philly & SE Pa is east of the Alleghenies, which blocks snow coming in from the west. And so any major snow we did get was from rare winter nor’easters. I recall a common pattern of cold rain, followed by high pressure systems that brought sunny but frigid air. I think we had maybe 4 or 5 school closings in a 10 yr period (the threshold for school closing was far higher than it is today).

lmboyer04 t1_j6hsn6e wrote

People say this as if it’s surprising. We may associate Christmas and new years as “peak winter” but winter actually only begins on December 21 and lasts until March 21.

citygirldc t1_j6hs6kh wrote

The 2003 storm that closed the city for a week (feds closed, above ground Metro not running) was around Valentine’s Day.

CrossplayQuentin t1_j6igvh4 wrote

I remember that one! Dining tray sledding with my college crush ❄️❤️

citygirldc t1_j6ihzi3 wrote

I had met a new….friend at some heinous bar Valentine’s Day event. It was a fun week. This is how I know exactly when it was 😂

gothaggis t1_j6j07d9 wrote

yes, but here in baltimore its been over a year since we have had at least 1" of snow (so we didn't get jack shit last feb from what I remember)

pqcoyote t1_j6i44ov wrote

Winter hasn’t even started here yet, It’s been like a drawn out Fall. 😕

HollaDude t1_j6nlsnx wrote

True, but we've usually had our first snowstorm by now. With the big ones coming in March.

Thin_Bug_6405 t1_j6gittm wrote

Just wait til mid late February… just when you think winter is over lol

rsplatpc t1_j6i0dch wrote

> Just wait til mid late February

We will have 4 days of mid 60's weather, and then second winter will hit

msmith1994 t1_j6i3wh2 wrote

This was my first thought. I grew up in SW MO, which has a super similar climate to DC/is in the same climate zone. We would almost never get Dec/Jan snow, and then a random snow storm or two on Feb/March.

rev3nge914 t1_j6goqjl wrote

Read a news article this morning about how this is the longest DC, Baltimore, Philly, and NYC have all gone without snow. Also stated that it's not the record warmest winter, but definitely in the top 10.

fucktard_engineer t1_j6gr7a4 wrote

The new normal!

WhiskeyTigerFoxtrot t1_j6i5oa4 wrote

Climate change can actually bring increased levels of precipitation in some places. Climate and weather are two very different things and the latter depends on a whole complicated spectrum of factors. It's not necessarily "world getting warmer = less snow." Some areas will actually get more at some points if the conditions line up.

Lepidopteria t1_j6lmro4 wrote

We have no shortage of precipitation, it just isn't freezing :(

SnortingCoffee t1_j6ipcvk wrote

don't worry, it's only the new normal for this year, next year will be a whole new (even warmer) mystery

blues_and_ribs t1_j6g44dw wrote

I think the odds for snow peak in Feb. Then still a decent chance in March. If we hit, say, the middle of March with no snow, that’s when it’s time to worry.

Endurance_Cyclist t1_j6gu03u wrote

>If we hit, say, the middle of March with no snow, that’s when it’s time to worry.

Average temperatures this month are running more than 7 degrees above normal. It's time to worry.

blues_and_ribs t1_j6h4boh wrote

Overall it’s certainly trending in the direction where years like this are more common, but I recently moved back here after a long absence and this sort of thing is not unheard of. The last winter season I experienced here was 07-08, and it was quite similar to this. I remember because my job had me outside a lot that winter. The first snow wasn’t until late January, and IIRC it only snowed twice that season, and neither was very big. I also remember it getting into the low 70s the first week of January.

alizadk t1_j6g5e1o wrote

Welcome to the DC snow donut.

bingol_boii OP t1_j6g5geh wrote

I was born in dc

alizadk t1_j6g5lte wrote

Then you should be used to this. (I'm a skier, I'm pissed too, I just don't get my hopes up.)

overnighttoast t1_j6genmd wrote

We used to get snow every year until about 2018 so most of us aren't used to this.

alizadk t1_j6gggvs wrote

I grew up here, and have been back since I graduated college in 2004. There has been plenty of years that DC barely got anything long before 2018.

EC_dwtn t1_j6gnubo wrote

DC's had some winters without much snow in the past, but we're still seeing something historic this year.

Dulles just set it's record for latest day in the season with no measurable snow, and DCA is currently at 5th latest with no snow.

giscard78 t1_j6gltqe wrote

There’s been blips (2010 and 2016 come to mind) but it’s been downhill since 1996 here.

SummerhouseLater t1_j6hqil5 wrote

No, by now it had snowed in both those years, just not much. On average it’s just warmer.

TaylorCurls t1_j6gnnws wrote

Then you should know that it usually snows somewhere between Feb-April.

giscard78 t1_j6g6tq3 wrote

> Like, any time there's a chance for snow it turns to rain!

Cold weather usually comes from the west and precipitation usually from the south. Conditions need to be just right for snow here.

DC is also near the edge of the coastal plain. Back in MCPS, they’d give us snow days because it was snowy in Poolesville but raining in the east county.

OGkateebee t1_j6gnk5i wrote

Any Baltimore suburb peeps know this phenomenon as the Hereford Zone. Baltimore County has a special zone cut out for the far-north part of the county that touches PA so that the kids around the beltway wouldn’t be so lucky. Even growing up in Howard County we hated those Hereford Zone kids who always got off LOL

AllerdingsUR t1_j6hevtm wrote

Similar thing used to happen on the VA side! The Fairfax county kids would resent the eastern Loudoun students for getting off with no snow because Loudoun is huge and the western end is closer to Harper's Ferry than it is to DC.

SketchlessNova t1_j6iqlnb wrote

Northern Loudoun literally touches Harper's Ferry. But yeah, Loudoun and Fauquier were always quick to close because of the more rural areas making bus travel impossible.

Savageride t1_j6gar90 wrote

Blizzard 96…… just wait

DaBake t1_j6gqvfo wrote

That was in January but Smowmageddon and both Presidents' Day Blizzards were in February

ocaesar t1_j6gr35s wrote

Snowmageddon was crazy. No school for two weeks, I had just gotten an iPod for Christmas and discovered Pink Floyd and other music during that time. Great memories!

districtdathi t1_j6gevqn wrote

First off, I think a lot of our snow comes in the month of February, so snow season aint over, yet. Secondly, I'm a property manager who spends every snow day busting my back shoveling, so I'm not too upset. It does create a lovely ambiance, though, so I get it

nesspaulajeffpoo94 t1_j6ghxlc wrote

Any chance you can buy a snow blower to help?

districtdathi t1_j6gpsi5 wrote

That would be ideal! one of the push ones that looks kinda like a push-lawnmower would be awesome, but I work for a small, family-run business and I don't think we don't get enough snow to justify the cost. plus, the city outlawed new, gasoline run 2-stroke motors and I don't know if they make electric ones. It's worth looking into, though! Thanks for the suggestion!

nesspaulajeffpoo94 t1_j6gxz7e wrote

Electric if possible would be the good choice, wasn't aware the gas ones were not allowed.

Neferknitti t1_j6hsp4k wrote

I take full responsibility. I bought a snow blower this fall. We’re not getting any snow.

Mustangfast85 t1_j6gfxpb wrote

Snow is nice for about 1 day then it gets old and gross. I’m not complaining, I don’t even own snow boots here so I’d be cowboy for a day if it eventually does!

ballsohaahd t1_j6giu4m wrote

I believe this is called climate change. It’s literally never cold enough to snow and we have 60 degree days every week or so.

Lot has changed in 3-4 years lol

mklilley351 t1_j6gwbrt wrote

Snow usually shows up right when you start to think about spring so get ready for March

Brave_Bird84 t1_j6gkdho wrote

I’m thrilled! I grew up in upstate NY and I love it here b/c there’s less snow…except when we had that huge blizzard in 2015 I think it was….?

JuliusCeejer t1_j6gpfy7 wrote

2016 had a pretty big storm too, fucked my car up real good when I needed to be in person for a meeting after letting the snow melt and re-freeze under it for 3 days. Absolutely wrecked the paneling and needed a new exhaust because I was in a rush and panicked

TechByDayDjByNight t1_j6gz327 wrote

You must not be from here. We get snow in Oct or feb/march

There's plenty of time in the season

Devastator1981 t1_j6hl2u9 wrote

I’m good with no snow if we are getting highs in 40s (which we are). What’ll be annoying is if we aren’t in mid-60s for most of March.

pizzajona t1_j6gbacq wrote

30% chance of snow on Sunday

CanaKitty t1_j6gg0v9 wrote

Due to climate change, unfortunately this is how it will be from now on

GeezusLizard t1_j6gj790 wrote

Chill it'll probably snow in march after an unusually warm day

lunajive t1_j6gxaeo wrote

You mean I just got my Subaru for nothing??!!!!

lovelybeebug t1_j6hszhs wrote

Can you not! I hate snow. The accidents, the black ice, no work = no money, possible power outages, etc.

Au2288 t1_j6isv2q wrote

We’re clearly in 1st False Spring, somewhere in February we’ll get 2nd False Spring, followed by It’s Winter, Bitch, then in March we’ll have 1st False Summer followed by Surprise Bitch, it’s still Winter in April.

self-extinction t1_j6j7ge8 wrote

Maybe we, as residents of the region, should consider organizing large and persistent climate crisis demonstrations outside the various relevant centers of federal power that sit so close to us.

stewbugx t1_j6jdcic wrote

1. Winter isn't over
  2. You probably don't have a car. I fucking hate snow. If it does, I'm glad someone, aside from kids, will be happy.
  3. Feel free to laugh at me for #2, cause DC

Avenger772 t1_j6h1ezs wrote

DC hasn't had snow in over 380 days. The amount of days between snowfalls has gotten longer and longer over the past 100 years.

Yet climate change doesn't exist right?

TMacOnTheTrack t1_j6hzlua wrote

Me too! Damn climate change.

I thought this coming Thursday was our day. But that’s looking like rain too.

Le sigh.

heels_n_skirt t1_j6im6zr wrote

I hope you curse DC with a megablizzard

mattgif t1_j6ios1m wrote

Getting mad at the weather doesn't seem like a healthy mental choice to me.

hoofglormuss t1_j6jip5q wrote

I planted a winterberry last year to look good in the snow. THATS 75 BUCKS DOWN THE DRAIN!

[deleted] t1_j6geqwv wrote

[deleted]

Spaghetthy t1_j6gft7k wrote

climate change is a bitch

sfchillin t1_j6gg19p wrote

Snow is a thing of the past here. Get ready for 80 degree days in the coming winters

celj1234 t1_j6goo1d wrote

Snow in dc sucks

GoGoCrumbly t1_j6had9y wrote

Usually get the big ones in late Feb.

tmack99 t1_j6hdbl3 wrote

Drive north til you hit a ski resort

islesandterps t1_j6jdttn wrote

You'll be driving for a long time this year... none of the resorts on the east coast have gotten much snow either.

MockPhotosensitivity t1_j6i91zs wrote

Are you new to DC? Do you know what the DMV snow hole is? 😅

jumpyg1258 t1_j6ihcdy wrote

You can thank/blame me. I bought a snow blower last year and ever since it hasn't snowed once. I call it my snow insurance.

AtlasDrugged_0 t1_j6iy3pg wrote

twenty years ago we would get sub freezing temperatures and snow as early as December. Now we're looking at snowless winters from now on. Climate change is a bitch

seidinove t1_j6j81j4 wrote

Warmest January since 1950, according to weather and traffic on the 8s.

BingByronBong t1_j6j9gqf wrote

But you’d probably be quick to complain about it once it shut down part of the city…

DrDroDroid t1_j6jp5lb wrote

Might get snow on Dec 19th 2023 I call it

SaintEyegor t1_j6l273e wrote

My inner 8 year old is rooting for snow but my grown up self isn’t too disappointed. My company is completely set up for working remotely so snow days are pretty much a thing of the past.

JKDudeman t1_j6ghplt wrote

Winter is coming.

​

Edit: Did no one see GOT?

sassygirl101 t1_j6gj0t3 wrote

‘72 , 2-feet! It was grand!!

classicalL t1_j6gm4h5 wrote

There was snow in Nov/Dec. The biggest snow storms in MD tend to occur in Feb or the first week in March because it is wetter. All it has to do is get cold enough for a day or two.

k032 t1_j6gnjtn wrote

There have been huge snow storms in February and March around here.

reddqueen33 t1_j6ihlh2 wrote

Wintry mix predicted for 1/31 in MD around Annapolis for tomorrow (40% chance) so there might be an opportunity there.

We get a lot of snow in February sometimes and don't forget the occasional March last hurrah.

Lizzibabe t1_j6ihtz3 wrote

We still have Feb and March to go.

Spaghettidan t1_j6im2hs wrote

Now is a nice time to transition to a vegetarian diet. Climate be changing but you can help

wwb_99 t1_j6iqk09 wrote

This is going to be one of those years where be get no snow until St Patrick's day then get 2 blizzards in late march.

Bad_Account_Name t1_j6j60g9 wrote

This reinforces my decision to move to Minnesota.

MCStarlight t1_j6gz6wr wrote

Move to Colorado then

−1

CuriousCatAri t1_j6h7dhf wrote

So sucks. Haven’t seen a single flurry. Eff global warming and the especially the asshats causing global warming, meaning us.

−1

downvoteKING123 t1_j6hwwo3 wrote

Meanwhile the rest of the country is getting blasted 😡

−1

beelovedone t1_j6hyfhg wrote

Yeah it just hasn't been cold enough. We get snow in March too though so ya know.....there's time!

−1

LeoMarius t1_j6hmlmb wrote

It’s too warm because of global warming. Snow may become a rarity here going forward. It sucks, because I love snow.

−2

Csherman92 t1_j6hygjx wrote

Welcome to Washington. I sooo wish we got snow in Maryland

−2

bingol_boii OP t1_j6hyl77 wrote

There are like, 4 comments saying "welcome to dc." Just fyi, I was born and raised here. Been living here for 29 years.

−2

LuxidDreamingIsFun t1_j6i2tqt wrote

Growing up, I remember having a minimum of two snow storms a year, but usually more. I'm still in denial about having no snow this year. I'm hoping we get at least one late winter snow storm. I'll be so disappointed if we legit get nothing.

drupe14 t1_j6i22lo wrote

OP I can tell the “why” in your question is rhetorical but, our planet do be warming

−2

minion_toes t1_j6i6rvl wrote

This is the coldest winter for the rest of your life 😀 (unless you move)

−2

EmpressTita t1_j6hftrc wrote

What's wrong with you? Snow is not good for healthcare workers FORCED (by necessity) to go out in it. Not everyone gets an empty hospital bed when they stay overnight at work. Some of us have to sleep on the floor in facilities with no personal hygiene amenities (showers) or access to food.

−5

Jrpond t1_j6ii7bu wrote

Some people just love to watch the world burn

mattgif t1_j6ip5ku wrote

Whoa, were you bitten by a radioactive spider? Because that ability to twist any random statement to be about yourself is supernatural.