Submitted by ruuutherford t3_118a7tj in BuyItForLife

I'm stuck with an induction cooktop with small "burners" /magnets/inducers. Both carbon steel and cast-iron are NO GOOD at heat distribution! We have a multilayer non-stick that is way better at heat distribution, but is non-stick. I have bad feelings about non-stick because invariably they start falling a part and become poisonous garbage. Any ideas on something with excellent heat distribution that is not non-stick (can be seasoned)? thanks!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jaxonstevie t1_j9fwsj3 wrote

All clad stainless steel copper core is my go too when I’m not using cat iron, don’t know if the copper core truly helps heat distribution but it looks sweet

MadAss5 t1_j9g8mwa wrote

>start falling a part and become poisonous garbage

The pieces that fall off are in theory safe to ingest. It's when you over heat them that they give off toxic fumes. Not heating an empty pan is allegedly safe but either way no teflon style coating lasts anywhere near life.

Undrthedock t1_j9ga6lt wrote

Budget depending, but my Demeyere pans work incredibly well with my induction cook top. The heat distribution/retention is absolutely phenomenal. Stainless steel pans that cooks almost like cast iron when it comes to heat retention.

ConBroMitch t1_j9gl7qv wrote

Demeyere, All Clad, American Kitchen (look for these brands, that are 3ply (not 5 or 7) 18/10 stainless)

Edit: Also, look for fully clad meaning there is no line around outside of the base of the pan. (Most of the above are fully clad, but just make sure!)

Muncie4 t1_j9gqvco wrote

Why do you have to be so dramatical and call non-stick "poisonous garbage"? 19 people died from lightning last year in the US. 0 people in the history of the planet have died from non-stick flakes as they are chemically inert. Use what you got as you could snort a line of PTFE 20 miles long and nothing would happen. Now there is such as thing as irrational fear and if that's what ya got, I understand.

ruuutherford OP t1_j9gsvw5 wrote

I’m certainly over stating my adversity to Teflon. this thread is not a discussion on Teflon; it’s an ask for advice on non-Teflon BIFL induction pans. I wouldn’t be the first person to overstate opinions on www ;)

ClnSlt t1_j9gu1y5 wrote

If I recall correctly you need 2.5mm of copper and most on the market are 1.5mm. I buy the Mauviel 2.5mm copper and stainless steel - they work great. For a little cheaper SS option, Fissler is great too.

These aren’t non-stick. Just use lots of fat instead :).

llamakiss t1_j9gx0qb wrote

Stainless steel lasts forever. I inherited SS from 1976.

YouTube will teach you about how to pre heat them & the maillard reaction. They're easy to cook with when properly preheated and SS preheats quickly.

F-21 t1_j9gy4gn wrote

You want a pan with copper or aluminium in the base for good heat distribution.

Cast iron is good too cause it absorbs a lot of heat and also distributes it evenly (but is a slower heat conductor than copper or aluminium).

If you have a real cast iron pan and still experience uneven heating, I'm not sure any pan will help a lot. Might end up being cheaper to replace the cooktop instead.

AnotherPersonsReddit t1_j9h4ocx wrote

You literally have three options. Stainless steel or learn to cook with cast iron and carbon steel.

5spd4wd t1_j9h51ov wrote

The 'secret' to getting a skillet to sit flat is to buy the thick ones. The thicker they are (thickness of inside metal to outside metal) the flatter they sit. Brand really doesn't matter. Good brands use more metal.

complywood t1_j9hga5h wrote

I don't see any pans on the Mauviel site that have 2.5mm of copper, although I do see some on other sites. Are they discontinued?

They do have a set specifically for induction though. Very expensive!

GreatRhinoceros t1_j9hkn9c wrote

Stainless steel is usually pretty good and glides across cooktops nice and smoothly.

All-clad is always a good choice. I try not to buy a pan with multiple layers.

jaxonstevie t1_j9hmi9m wrote

That makes sense, I like the all clad a lot because they’re made a town over from where I live so there’s that local aspect that intrigues me, I’ll check out mauviel and fissler as well!

ClnSlt t1_j9hvr12 wrote

I believe Mauviel and All Clad are in the same price and performance category but I prefer the feel of Mauviel, especially with the cast iron handles.

They go on sale pretty often.

pan567 t1_j9i6zt3 wrote

I highly recommend the Demeyere Proline. I recently replaced my All-Clad Copper Core and D3 with them and I absolutely love them. They have not only incredibly even heating, but also the heat retention approaching that of cast iron.

They are designed for all cooking surfaces but made to especially excel with induction. Further, they hold up very well to the added stress that induction places on cookware. The lack of rivets, handle design, Silvinox coating, and excellent quality glass lids (that you have to buy separately, of course) are also major pluses, as is the sealed edge. They are, however, quite heavy.

CRThaze t1_j9igs8n wrote

Victoria Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron

• Cheap
  • Durable
  • Well Seasoned

UberDiver13 t1_j9j5jmx wrote

Saladmaster makes some great pots and pans. Guaranteed for life! I like them cause they are just industructable, and the handles are removable so you can also bake with them. In order to buy them new, someone will come to your house and cook you a meal and teach you how to use them properly. They are pricey....but definitely BIFL.

nasanu t1_j9jno6e wrote

My cast iron skillet (lodge) is great on my induction stove, not sure what issues you might have.

Anyway as has been suggested, I also have a Mauviel M'Cook 5-Ply and love it.

Slipstriker9 t1_j9jv0u7 wrote

If you think cast iron is bad at conducting heat then you can't be reasoned with. It is one of the best heat cunducting meterials used in cooking bar none. This sounds like you want magic.

If the burner is to much smaller than the pan either buy a large portable induction burner or learn to move the food around the pan. You know like the Chinese do in a Wok.

ruuutherford OP t1_j9k2ale wrote

The problem is un-even heating. I have never had this un-even heating issue until this (relatively affordable) induction range. The "burners" are too small! Like 6in across. This lady has the only video talking about it. She shows cooking various things, and how you can clearly see the hot-spot right smack in the middle of the pan. "Induction Stoves -- Watch Before You Buy One!" Helen Rennie youtube. time stamp 1:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CrI33N-Sjg&t=112s

For some reason no manufacturers talk about it. It isn't on the spec sheet when shopping for ranges! The only thing we have to go on is price of the appliance <=sucks, no way to shop.

ClnSlt t1_j9k47uy wrote

I used to ignore where things were made but knowing that All Clad is made in the USA makes me reconsider where I get my SS. I try to go out of my way to buy “local”.

nasanu t1_j9kci73 wrote

Are you in America? Because she says "Based on the comments I am getting, it looks like the US is in the dark ages when it comes to induction and the rest of the world has mostly figured it out.".

Honestly I can put my pans anywhere and the heat spreads. Like the lodge, the handle gets freaking hot, the Mauviel gets super hot all the way up the sides. But its physics, any metal is going to spread heat if you leave it long enough. But if you are trying to cook instantly then solid copper is basically what you need.

nogoodnopower t1_j9kefn8 wrote

cast iron is the only way if you want a pan that is going to last forever at an affordable price.

hoopla-pdx t1_j9l42db wrote

I just tried a few of my pots/pans on my induction cooktop and the heat distribution is definitely an issue. The Lodge cast iron skillet was definitely the best, but none did all that well.

You would need a lot of distribution metal between the magnetic layer and the food to really make it well distributed.

Muncie4 t1_j9lu5uv wrote

There is no environmental damage. You are reading articles about PAST manufacturing processes and applying today. No one uses PFAS or PFOA in PTFE pans today. And the amount of people with birds who use their pans wrongly (over heat the pans) to cause that danger is critically low.

ThisBrownGuy80 t1_j9lzrl2 wrote

Has anyone else used cookworld cook ware? I bought a small set in 2013, stainless steel -blah blah, but bottom line THEY LAST LONGER THEN HUMANS. Lol. You can run them dry, and steam any food. I use mine mainly for steak, and chops, and, what's that other thing!??? Right! STEAK!!! great for searing, steaming and easy clean up. If anything burns ON the pan, easy fix. Just run it with water , covered for 1 hour. Boom! Everything that was stuck comes off waaaay easier. But I have not run into any one else with a set of these.

• The metal does discolor after high heat sessions, and it changes the "look" over time, if that kind of thing concerns you.