Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

therealDrA OP t1_je5hipz wrote

Non-stop to LAX will be cool!

BitterStatus9 t1_je5vfyv wrote

Yeah until it disappears in 4 months. Same thing> Every. Time.

LearnByDoing t1_je5xx4u wrote

I've flown Breeze several times now. On time departures and arrivals, new planes, friendly flight crews. With PVD becoming a base it could also improve reliability with local crews and spare planes. Perhaps I've just been lucky so far but hoping they can keep it going.

beerspeaks t1_je5y4lb wrote

I'm rooting for Breeze, but I have my doubts that they'll succeed.

My biggest gripe is the infrequency and unreliability of their flights.

If a flight gets delay/cancelled, there isn't another flight on that route for 2-4 days, so booking anything when you're on a tight timeline isn't really practical given their current schedules.

I hope that them setting up a base here will improve some of the performance issues I've experienced from them over the past couple years.

therealDrA OP t1_je5zhhi wrote

I wish more Rhode Islanders would support TF Green over Logan. It is so much more convenient. Even if you have a connection it is easier.

degggendorf t1_je64yn4 wrote

> I wish more Rhode Islanders would support TF Green over Logan

Do many people not? The only reason I would ever consider the likes of Logan or Bradley is if they have a direct flight when PVD doesn't. And even then, it would be a tossup.

therealDrA OP t1_je664z8 wrote

There always seem to be people on Reddit asking for the best way to get to Logan from RI.

_CaesarAugustus_ t1_je6b0b8 wrote

At the risk of being a “well ackshully” guy…there are only so many flights that fly out of Green/Warwick. It sucks, but it’s true.

therealDrA OP t1_je6bbbr wrote

You can connect with one stop to anywhere in the world on United. You connect at Newark or Dulles or Chicago and the world awaits.

degggendorf t1_je6hj6k wrote

nonstop > 1-stop

therealDrA OP t1_je6nlf9 wrote

What I communicated further below is that Boston does not have as strong an international network as other east coast airports. So...you end up having a stop even when flying out of Boston in many instances. So I would rather have a one stop in Newark or Dulles out of PVD than a commute to Boston and a stop somewhere else.

degggendorf t1_je6q6v3 wrote

Well yeah, of course less driving and cheaper parking with the same number of layovers is preferable.

therealDrA OP t1_je6rau3 wrote

I guess my frustration is that many people (not you) automatically assume Logan is better because it is larger and do not even consider that PVD might actually be better in many cases...even for international travel and sometimes even point to point...use it or lose it as they say..and I want PVD to thrive.

Urbanitesunite t1_je6rf5g wrote

I actually would argue Boston has a pretty darn good international network for the east coast. Not like jfk obviously, but pretty good. Avianca just restarted flights to bogota from Boston yesterday, as a example .

therealDrA OP t1_je6xh11 wrote

I said it didn't have as strong an international network as Newark or Dulles which is true. They have a decent international roster, I agree

arivas26 t1_je6r0mn wrote

Flights from PVD to EWR and LGA get delayed contstantly. I would avoid connecting through them if I could.

therealDrA OP t1_je6wo4d wrote

I can't speak to LaGuardia but never had a problem at Newark. But then again I never do under a two hour connection. Latest flight had was 20 minutes.

_CaesarAugustus_ t1_je77zwy wrote

Hey, in 2019 we flew to Ireland from Green via Philly. Would I have rather nonstop? 100%. It was cheaper, and we had a membership with the airline. That being said, no stops is better than stops.

degggendorf t1_je7ak3y wrote

Wasn't Ireland Air or something doing non-stop to Cork from Greene a while back?

the_silent_one1984 t1_je7kz4i wrote

Norwegian did. PVD to Cork, Dublin, Edinburgh, Bergen, annnnd possibly Manchester, UK? They had a good presence but their own management as well as the 737Max did them in.

degggendorf t1_je7rln5 wrote

Ohhh I didn't realize that was all tied together, thanks for the correction/info

jagregory22 t1_je81btw wrote

In Spring 2018, you could catch a direct red eye from TF Green to Dublin for ~$350-$500 roundtrip. My wife and I were fortunate enough to take the trip with Norwegian while it lasted…Those were the days!

NoellaChel t1_je6t64u wrote

No driving to boston can cut your air fare in half many times so expensive trips go out of boston

degggendorf t1_je7a7s3 wrote

At this point, convenience is more important to me than strictly airfare

NoellaChel t1_je8517a wrote

I am with you but not everyone has same mentality

SeanRobertsFerngully t1_jeccqum wrote

Depends on lots of factors. I just went to Denmark out of Logan and took the train up early, met up with some friends and grabbed some dinner and hit a couple of bars. That was great before leaving. Coming back, I would have easily paid an extra 150 if it had meant coming back to TG green vs Logan. Landed at 5 and didn't get home til almost 10 which is a bit rough after 12 hours of travel

beerspeaks t1_je6uk6t wrote

It needs to be quite a bit cheaper to warrant flying out of Boston.

Airport parking in Boston is essentially twice as expensive as TF Green, plus the added time and frustration of going to an airport that is over an hour away versus one that is 10 minutes away.

degggendorf t1_je7adi9 wrote

>Airport parking in Boston is essentially twice as expensive as TF Green

Not to mention that Greene could be $0 in parking and $2 in bus fare or $20 in uber

NoellaChel t1_je854vp wrote

My last Cali flight was 1/3 od the cost from boston than was out of Green

karnim t1_je9uy0u wrote

If you park at the Logan Express it's $7/day, plus the $9 bus ticket each way.

beerspeaks t1_je9zda3 wrote

Parking off site and taking a bus ride that could be in excess of 30 minutes to the airport is not the endorsement that you think it is.

karnim t1_jea21jb wrote

When the actual plane ticket is half the price and doesn't have connections, it is.

fishythepete t1_je67xpj wrote

>they have a direct flight when PVD doesn't

This is pretty much going to be the case for most flights to a non-hub city. It’s 7-10 hours to get to Dallas from PVD. It’s 6 going from Logan which makes a day trip possible. You also don’t blow a day of travel if you have an issue with a connection - if your outbound flight is cancelled you have a more productive day and at least will be able to call into a meeting.

therealDrA OP t1_je6ck7v wrote

I guess it depends where you travel. I travel all over Europe and other international destinations and Boston is missing a lot of cities so would be at least a stop out of Boston plus the commute to Boston. Out of PVD I connect to Newark or Dulles and you can get anywhere.

monkiesandtool t1_je6onxk wrote

>It’s 7-10 hours to get to Dallas from PVD

Can support this; PVD to DTW to KAUS. 90 Min on the first leg and five hour transit time (four hours corrected for the time zone change)

Funny enough, the Boss was still not happy (rather I spend more time in the airports on connections getting a flight into Killeen instead of having to pay two guys two hours each to roundtrip to Austin)

Dances_With_Cheese t1_je61qx3 wrote

I’d argue those same issues are true for the larger carriers as well.

Air travel is basically a Greyhound bus with wings. Long gone are the days when you could consistently rely on a flight a few hours later if yours is canceled.

zporiri t1_je7t1rh wrote

You don't need to wait 2-4 days for a flight on a large carrier if yours gets canceled

ToadScoper t1_je5i8el wrote

These smaller-scale airlines always pop up in Rhode Island and immediately leave a year later. Remember when you could take a flight from TF Green to Iceland? That lasted for a whole year or two...

therealDrA OP t1_je5jk5k wrote

Well the particular fiasco you are referring to was Norwegian Airlines. Their business model was based on an all 737 max fleet. Then the 737max ban happened and they could not run the route profitably using the fuel thirsty 737-800 series. It wasn't a Rhode Island thing. Anyhow, why not root for Breeze because, if it succeeds, many non-stop routes not currently served will be.

ToadScoper t1_je5r4en wrote

Breeze would definitely be a win for RI if it works out

PawtucketPatriot t1_je5vvp2 wrote

Also, Breeze is setting up a base of operations. Those others (Norwegian, and soon to be Frontier) operated flights, but did not set up a base/hub.

the_silent_one1984 t1_je7ldkk wrote

Norwegian was at least in the process of opening a base before the 737Max problems plagued them

Urbanitesunite t1_je6fxc4 wrote

I’m for sure rooting for breeze. I’m a huge aviation geek and pvd desperately needs more flights to anywhere lol. More flights= cheaper flights=less need to go to Boston. But unfortunately, it’s gonna be hard for pvd to attract international flights when it’s squished between Boston and nyc.

monkiesandtool t1_je6peyl wrote

With the length of runway 5-23 being at 8700' it's comparable to the 4/22's at Logan (4L/22R = 7864' and 4R/22L = 10006').

What TF Green has,

1. Easy access to the Highway,
  2. Cheap Parking
  3. Being where the Patriots fly out from

stosyfir t1_je6hmei wrote

Pro for more Int'l flights leaving Teddy Greene: Not dealing with Boston or NYC.

Urbanitesunite t1_je6k44d wrote

If ri had a few connections to Europe and LATAM enough to promote competition, that would be great. I understand having to go to Boston for lengthy international journies like to Asia or Eastern Europe that the prov market could never support. But some of these routes to LATAM or Eastern Europe is literally 6 hours or under total. Short enough to be able to use a medium sized aircraft ( a321 for example) that can easily be filled due to its capacity of around 200 people.

BitterStatus9 t1_je5vno3 wrote

There are other stories of airlines connecting small markets non-stop. I remember taking a (nice) 6-person corporate jet to and from Pittsburgh out of TF Green about 7 years ago, can't remember the name of the carrier. They disappeared.

FranklinDC t1_je6341p wrote

Wow, how expensive was that??

BitterStatus9 t1_je6g4ug wrote

I was able to expense it to a non-profit consulting client, so it couldn't have been that expensive. About what you'd pay to connect through Newark or O'Hare on a large carrier like United.

Burn_ThemAll t1_je68tq5 wrote

Was it Sun Country? They were in PVD for a bit, I did a flight to Minneapolis a couple times and it was good but the airline pulled out after a year or two.

platzie t1_je79dvo wrote

Sun Country is still flying out of PVD. They used to have a direct flight to New Orleans which they stopped doing, but the flight to Minneapolis is still going.

Burn_ThemAll t1_je7femu wrote

Huh. Maybe it was temporarily suspended during the pandemic? I have family in MN and remember it was no longer offered, at least for a while. Good to know!

platzie t1_je7gcmm wrote

I think it could also be seasonal. I just checked and their flights from PVD to MSP start Memorial Day weekend and go twice a week through August, then down to once a week before stopping in December.

Burn_ThemAll t1_je7gzd3 wrote

Also good to know! Thanks for the info. I was last there in October, but I somehow had no idea Sun Country was running flights again. I booked with JetBlue out of Boston last trip!

therealDrA OP t1_je6cwa2 wrote

I think they chartered a business jet (six seats). Apples and oranges.

BitterStatus9 t1_je6fy9d wrote

It's not that different: a commercial carrier markets its trips on a regular schedule between two under-served (they think) airports. The requisite number of pax never shows up, and they fold. The only difference is the size of the plane. Providence is never going to generate enough non-stop traffic at prevailing prices to keep a carrier afloat, and the bigger the plane, the steeper the wall they need to climb to stay solvent.

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_je6ryub wrote

Not just that, but some of the flight paths were incredibly random. Providence to Ireland? Wildly popular with Americans, especially due to decently sized Irish populations located here.

Providence to.....Bergen Norway? Absolutely obscure and got cancelled a few months later due to lack of interest. Norway is a beautiful country, but there was never a market for Norwegians to flood into RI or RI to flood into the second most populated city in Norway

clp401 t1_je6pg44 wrote

RIAC gives airlines free rent for 6 months. After that, the airline can decide whether to stay and pay sky high rent at T.F. Green, or go elsewhere. That’s why a lot of these airlines don’t stick around. The rent is way too high and not worth it.

srh99 t1_je7y05w wrote

I’m hoping for them, I like the model of being able to avoid hubs. They need to get a little bigger though to be reliable for business travel. I had them cancel a flight and had to drive (Pittsburgh) once to get there on time. And on another trip we gave up, because the return flight kept getting pushed back later and later and later then they delayed the flight the next day because the crew got in late and needed mandatory rest. Understandable and fine for personal travel, but ng for business. The people are great though, the planes are clean and the pricing is great. Competition is good.

JannaSummer t1_je7i3c8 wrote

This is great news for the Airport Corporation

noungning t1_je749dj wrote

Only after they acquire 10-15 more planes. Otherwise, nope. I cannot waste anymore time and money with their BS.

therealDrA OP t1_je7784f wrote

They have 60 A220s on order

noungning t1_je77x1e wrote

I guess I'll wait until they're operating. But the current 5-6 planes aren't cutting it, especially when they're falling apart when they're new.