Submitted by Kryptonthenoblegas t3_yol3mk in RhodeIsland

So I'm Australian and grew up using the word bubbler but when I went to school abroad I copped a lot of (friendly) teasing and confusion since apparently the rest of the world actually call it a water fountain all the time and don't know what bubblers are. I've heard that you guys in Rhode Island call water fountains the same thing though so I was wondering whether that was actually true??

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

blahinator180 t1_ivemb6d wrote

Yes we do, bubbler is a brand name (like Kleenex or tempo for tissues). Here and southern Wisconsin we call them bubblers.

Edit: EvidentlyI am wrong and just perpetuating a myth. Apparently no one’s knows, though it might have something to do with the bubble valve in the faucet head. Apparently some companies describe the head of a drinking fountain as a bubbler.

As to why we, Wisconsinites, and Australians use the term for a drinking fountain; no one knows. Not that that is going to stop me from using the term, and passing it on to my kids.

https://www.sheboyganpress.com/story/news/local/2014/10/31/sheboygan-history-bubblers/18254395/

Kryptonthenoblegas OP t1_ivemw48 wrote

Oh sweet nice to know that some of you guys also use the 'correct' term lol. I didn't know it was from a brand name though, I assumed it's because the water kind of 'bubbles' up.

MargaretDumont t1_ivexdf6 wrote

Wait what??? This is from a brand name? Lifelong Rhode Islander here and had no idea this is why we say it!

Pedromac t1_ivez9mm wrote

Yeah the company that made the Bubbler brand of water fountains was in Wisconsin. So they call them bubblers too. And of course Massachusetts and RI bought them, so we can them bubblers.

orm518 t1_ivf9c1g wrote

I thought the brand name thing was an old wives tale.

pinktwinkie t1_ivfma68 wrote

Maybe, i think Chicago and Elkay have water fountains listed as bubblers in thier catalog

lazydictionary t1_ivfthuv wrote

It is not a brand name. The other poster is wrong.

The origin of the name is a mystery.

_CaesarAugustus_ t1_iveqlmx wrote

Wait…I had no idea this was a proprietary eponym situation! I love those. Thank you.

ellathefairy t1_iverxam wrote

I didn't either! But as a Rhode Islander who grew up in Massachusetts, i also have always called them bubblers.

lazydictionary t1_ivftap8 wrote

It's not. That's an incorrect urban legend.

_CaesarAugustus_ t1_ivfx59x wrote

I’m not sure where you got that from, lazy dictionary, but I did find info regarding a “double bubbler” fountain from WWI and how people came to call water fountains “bubblers” because of it. Maybe it’s a blend of the two? Some people had already called it that, and some came to call it that after the dual-stream water fountain.

pvdcaveman t1_ivfvqdv wrote

I’d like some proof that Bubbler was a brand name. Reasonable google search indicates that this is absolutely not true.

sandsonik t1_ivjk3d5 wrote

I always thought it was strange that it's just us and Wisconsonites who use the term, separated as we are by so many states. Cool to hear it's an Aussie thing too.

Water fountains are those things with statues in public parks. Pretty to look at, but you don't want t to drink from them!

ghostpepperlover t1_iven8i0 wrote

Absolutely true. When I moved to Florida in 8th grade I asked where the “bubbla” (spelling to emphasize accent) and everyone looked at me like a confused dog. But fun fact, the Double Bubbler was invented by Halsey W Taylor after he noticed workers getting dysentery from water fountains in the factory.

spoobles t1_iver9hb wrote

>everyone looked at me like a confused dog.

we call this "The Tucker Carlson".

left_based_diet t1_ivf3lis wrote

Don’t you insult RI’s Everyman! His parents must’ve worked really hard to pay for his 50K/year schooling here, how else would he have become a hard-working blue collar ordinary man of the people???

dc_dobbz t1_ivfl0qe wrote

I relocated in 2nd grade and it wasn’t any better. The other one that threw me was the use of “Lav” for rest room. I spent the first few months of second grade thinking my elementary school had a laboratory.

GotenRocko t1_ivf8bl7 wrote

Same thing happened to me but in college in Maryland.

overthehillhat t1_ivepaj9 wrote

Welcome to RI

We have grindahs and cabinets too

Tortankum t1_ivf5zd9 wrote

No one actually calls them cabinets. Unless you’re like 85.

ellathefairy t1_ives125 wrote

Cabinets is a New England thing?

Kryptonthenoblegas OP t1_ivev13i wrote

Just searched it up, seems like it. We call those milkshakes.

Tortankum t1_ivf62nr wrote

I’ve never heard anyone under the age of 80 use that term. If you ask the average rhode islander for a cabinet they will probably look at you weird and point to a furniture store.

overthehillhat t1_ivfy9xs wrote

UR being AwfullyAwful to my girlfriend who is 60 -

She calls them cabinets too

But

She doesn't drink them anymore -

pinktwinkie t1_ivfmrci wrote

Sad as fuck. Last time i was at the creamery i odered one, and they did bring a frappe which was fine, but they also used to bring over the big silver blender thing which they didnt.

ellathefairy t1_ivfehq3 wrote

I have never in my life heard of a frappe or milkshake being called a cabinet! Wow

−1

overthehillhat t1_ivfxr12 wrote

We always thought the culprit was the ice cream -

that was kept in the freezer cabinet-

laterbacon t1_ivf3p7e wrote

My grandfather said a cabinet has ice cream in it, a milkshake is just milk and syrup. He said a lot of things though

moviemakerjay t1_ivgr3pt wrote

People in MA say this too but replace “cabinet” with “frappe.” Me, from NY, always ordered a milkshake in MA and still got what they call a frappe so 🤷🏼

overthehillhat t1_ivfwyha wrote

Us old guys have just had to experience (endure)

Way more than you know

overthehillhat t1_ivevoea wrote

Dunno -

Definitely an RI thing - -

I don't drive more than 8 minutes away so its hard to tell what the rest of NE is doing

ellathefairy t1_ivfebp0 wrote

Ok does cabinet have a meaning other than furniture and presidential admin??

OldTimeyFapGhost420 t1_iveq36c wrote

Yes, but the ending syllable is -ah, in place of -er.

Kryptonthenoblegas OP t1_iveuoqr wrote

Yea we do the same thing, 'bubblah'

OldTimeyFapGhost420 t1_ivews9q wrote

Thank god. So it's just that pocket of savages in the great lakes region who say it wrong. They love their R's.

Kryptonthenoblegas OP t1_ivezw5j wrote

Wait so you're telling me they actually pronounce the r?? You're right, maybe they are savages...

OldTimeyFapGhost420 t1_ivf5axh wrote

It's just one tiny pocket in Minnesota if I'm not mistaken. For the record, they absolutely are. We here in Southern coastal New England are unabashed pricks. They're a bunch of smarmy, spineless, passive aggressive cunts. When you hear about how Americans are fat and uneducated, that's one of the epicenters that skews the statistics.

DullPunk t1_ivend6b wrote

Yes. A discord server with other Americans in there got confused when I said that

geffe71 t1_ivepjt8 wrote

Water fountains are in parks and mall/hotel lobbies

theebomba t1_iver3y5 wrote

We also say “Wicked”! Burrr, it’s wicked freezing out 🥶

Much-Raisin5122 t1_ivevnvl wrote

I remember the first time I realized water fountains weren't known as bubblers was back in the 80s on a field trip to slater mill I believe it was. I had asked an older couple where the bubbler was? And they responded in a British accent asking what I was asking for? I remember saying you know the thing you press the button to get a drink of water? The husband's response was the oh my, you mean the water fountain! Then laughed at me while pointing to the bubbler with a mocking tone saying g the bubbler is over there.

mykittyforprez t1_ivf7qoa wrote

Hey Brits - no laughing at the natives!

Much-Raisin5122 t1_ivfc854 wrote

I'm pretty sure he was laughing at the accent also. I could hear my boy voice saying...ya kno...where you press the buttin to get watah!

jma7400 t1_ivepa5m wrote

Yes we say bubbler.

Blacksheep01 t1_ivex3al wrote

I actually didn't realize Australians called them bubblers also, that's awesome! But yeah, Rhode Island and Wisconsin call them bubblers still, the rest of of the US has no idea what we are talking about lol.

Smooth-Goose998 t1_ivf4r7q wrote

Yes! We 100% call it a bubbler in RI. Growing up in RI a water fountain is something with a statue in it that has water spewing out and you drink out of a bubbler. I'm also so excited to find out people in Australia call them bubblers too!!

Rhody1964 t1_ivgsuc2 wrote

You DO? I thought we were alone in this one! Cheers!

egv78 t1_ivexss9 wrote

Some parts of Massachusetts call it that, too.

dc_dobbz t1_ivfliwv wrote

I KNEW there was something I liked about Australia (apart from Wallabies and Paul Hogan).

wickedtachy t1_ivfulyi wrote

Sure do, and its not a liquor store (beer wine liquor all have to be brought at retail store besides breweries etc). It's a package store....a Packy as it was.

Keiralee10 t1_ivfwd6c wrote

I’m a teacher from Massachusetts, and was teaching in a first grade classroom in Arizona. One of the tiny kids asked me if they could go get a water, but the water vending machine they usually use was out of service, so I told them that, and instructed them to just go to the bubbler.

They came back crying a few minutes later because they didn’t know what a “bubbler” was and couldn’t find it.

That was when I realized they are called something different everywhere else.

NessMcNesserson t1_ivh7oyq wrote

Yes! Haha I discovered this when I went to Australia and my friend refered to a bubbler and I damn near lost my shit! It was funny as!

Wise_Check6255 t1_ivhntll wrote

Yup. It's common in Northeast US to cal them Bubblers.

Megs0226 t1_ivexo6s wrote

Yes. I went to college in Maryland and asked someone where the bubbler was in the dorm and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. That’s how I learned that it’s unusual to call it a bubbler.

debbado t1_ivf5n3t wrote

When I moved from Connecticut to RI when I was a kid, between bubblers and cabinets (aka milk shake), i was confused.

orm518 t1_ivf98rl wrote

Bubbler is used routinely in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, plus some bleed into other New England states like New Hampshire and Maine, etc., and weirdly, Wisconsin.

Tenchiro t1_ivfdi1m wrote

We also called them bubblers when I lived in Portland Oregon, although just the outdoor ones downtown.

CapDris116 t1_ivfocbh wrote

Water fountain??? Like in a fancy park?????

ImCaffeinated_Chris t1_ivg5q0p wrote

Math class in Midwest I asked about a functions graph. "Does it look like how we draw seagulls?" All heads turned to me.

All people from RI would have understood.

Rhody05 t1_ivgkh8b wrote

Yes , I’ve called them bubblers my whole life. The water actually projects vertically through the piece which is called a “bubbler”.

bigdugie69 t1_ivhfhnd wrote

Idk what a water fountain is but yes I do know what a bubbler is!

We call drinking water fountains bubblers but a regular water fountain (like a regular decorative fountain) is a water fountain!

thread100 t1_ivhgyg2 wrote

New Hampshire too

saucyB52 t1_ivhn46j wrote

bubblers always had blue corossive stuff growin off the spout

i drank it anyways

leavingthecold t1_ivjz94m wrote

Never heard bubbler ( bubblahh ) until I moved to RI as a kid (khed)

cpr4life8 t1_ivkq95k wrote

Water fountain - Found in a park, square, garden, or in front of a building, etc. Used for decoration.

Drinking fountain - For the purpose of drinking water.

Bubbler - Midwestern term (mainly Wisconsin) for drinking fountain.

RivalSFx t1_ivlsjz2 wrote

In Rhode Island, USA. Water Fountain has nothing to do with getting a drink.

brenden77 t1_ivlxlnn wrote

Yes, yes we do. Welcome!

degggendorf t1_ivet7t9 wrote

Maybe I am not a real Rhode Islander, but to me:

Water bubbler = the water dispenser with the 5 gallon jugs you invert on top then dispense into a cup from the spout below, which bubbles as you remove water from the tank and it gets replaced with air.

Water fountain = the device you drink straight out of, which is connected to the water main and shoots the water up in an arc, like a fountain.

−9