Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Rindan t1_j5p7tdq wrote

It's really hard to not see someone either holding a massive turd, or a giant limp dick. It's not on my top 10 list of things to care about, and I have no rage boner, but geez.

Repulsive-Bend8283 t1_j5q801z wrote

From a certain angle it looks like two creatures made of arms, grundle, and groin tossing each other's salad.

rora_borealis t1_j5ql2l3 wrote

The best description I've heard is that it's a sexual rorschach test.

I'm amused and confused by the situation, but not angry or upset. It's just so WTF and awkward. The idea behind it is great, but the execution is.... not quite there.

PollutionEither9519 t1_j5tg0bn wrote

Damn. I always thought it looked like a massive turd. Now limp dick is in the mix too.

DarkMetroid567 t1_j5p6vza wrote

It's really unfortunate that the installation's best angles are all very specific. This one is probably it's worst; yet it's the one most visible when walking north on Tremont.

in_finite_jest t1_j5puo1f wrote

Most sculptors agonize over how their work looks from all angles. There are usually months of iterating through versions of different sizes to check what every possible perspective conveys.

I genuinely don't understand how this studio could have missed that this angle would become a meme and a source of mockery.

DarkMetroid567 t1_j5puxmc wrote

I mean, even this worst angle doesn't look terribly phallic in person. It's really something that comes across a lot more in the photos.

NoMrBond3 t1_j5tdff7 wrote

I mean I thought it looked worse in person. The questionable angle was undeniable.

wickedblight t1_j5stfdw wrote

The secret ingredient is money laundering, the art is secondary to moving assets around.

rezistence t1_j5v768s wrote

That's arguably the point. Creates interest through controversy. I'd be amazed if they didn't incorporate it and of course deny that.

usernmtkn t1_j5pskew wrote

Even the best angles aren’t very good, just kinda less bad.

DarkMetroid567 t1_j5qnu8m wrote

Disagree, I think the best angles (like the one almost directly west of the statue) look super good.

RickWest495 t1_j5pn7lh wrote

Or driving on Tremont where even more will see it.

meatcrunch t1_j5s9jht wrote

Yeah.. walking up tremont the day after it's installation was a trip. Turd angle the whole way up

DarkMetroid567 t1_j5qo8hn wrote

I don’t think it looks nearly as weird heading southbound, it looked fine when I last drove by there.

thebruns t1_j5q7jvg wrote

Plant a couple of pine trees and problem solved

SensitiveArtist69 t1_j5qlaeq wrote

Yeah that’s what’s so crazy to me, usually with this kind of things they look good from most angles but there’s a couple bad ones.

With this sculpture, more often than not it looks like something scatological or phallic or both

DarkMetroid567 t1_j5qow7p wrote

For me, it feels like it only looks phallic in the photos. But in person I get none of that — instead it looks more like Geodude from some angles.

Tzames t1_j5ozjx6 wrote

Guys, having been there in person. It’s not as bad as every photo of the worst possible view of the statue makes it out to be.

bahbahrapsheet t1_j5p2ywd wrote

Agreed. I don’t think it’s a GREAT statue but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it in person. It’s more impressive than you’d expect based on the pictures, especially the ones taken at this angle.

Bad_Mood_Larry t1_j5p70wg wrote

Personally I find it kinda of terrifying in person. It got some body horror thing going on.

Vandalgyon t1_j5qa9yy wrote

One of the side effects that I haven't seen many people mention is what this statue is getting viewers to do.

When I visited it, I watched a lot of people approach it from afar with a confused look, since it looks weird from some angles. Once they got closer and it started to make sense, they seemed to enjoy it more. It was literally bringing strangers together in a co-located spot by being a confusing object. Kind of like the shiny Chicago bean.

I also noticed families and friends trying to hug each other in the same way the statue was. Don't know if that was intended, but if a statue gets people to hug more then it's good in my book.

defariasdev t1_j5qdm0a wrote

This is a great point. Also i don't recall the last time people talked this much about a statue that wasn't vandalized for memorializing some old racist bastard. When I stopped by with my grandmother, there were strangers talking to each other about what they thought.

Sure, most of it was them saying they didn't like it but... STRANGERS. TALKING TO EACH OTHER IN A PARK. ABOUT ART. IN FUCKING BOSTON?! Statue Wins

BasilExposition75 t1_j5p8lzm wrote

I liked the park itself and the fact you could walk under it and up to it. Still ugly as fuck from afar. Should be a tear down.

BMac364 t1_j5pafhk wrote

The idea that you could walk up to and under it is cool, being both sheltered and exposed at the same time. The problem is that the goofy looking angle is from the street as you drive by. They should plant some trees behind it to ...."sanitize" this view. For $10m, I think we could get something like that.

Solar_Piglet t1_j5rpkmg wrote

Regardless of what you think about the shape of the thing it's far too big for the Common. It dwarfs everything around it and just looks completely out of place.

SphaeraEstVita t1_j5pipj4 wrote

I walk along Tremont almost daily so that angle is really the only one I ever see.

Weary_Barber_7927 t1_j5pf9cj wrote

Do you think it’s worth 10 million dollars?

Syncope7 t1_j5pw79n wrote

At this point, that’s a fruitless argument. The $10mil was privately funded. It’s already been built…. If anything it’ll cost more to dismantle it.

Solar_Piglet t1_j5rpuf6 wrote

six meth heads would cart that thing off for scrap in an afternoon.

Tzames t1_j5pfq5d wrote

I don’t think my opinion on how much it costs actually matters. My knowledge on how much money was spent on this and how much profit was made and who got paid is zero.

DooDooBrownz t1_j5q0mkb wrote

just be happy it's not made out of eggs, the city would be broke

random12356622 t1_j5qnijz wrote

The price something is worth is determined by having someone or someone(s) willing to pay that amount asked for it. So it is worth 10 million dollars, because we the people were stupid enough to pay for it.

Would I purchase it again, no. It looks like someone holding a turd from specific angles.

Remember, Boston is the place that purchased toilets that: 1) no one used, 2) broke all the time, 3) were expensive to install, 4) expensive to maintain, 5) so expensive that we decided to stop repairing them, and 6) took the place of something else that could have been there, like nothing, an empty space.

Also these toilets were supposed to be automatic cleaning toilets, and took jobs away from the people of Boston. - As far as I know the toilets were never clean, and a toilet of last resort. - Also you had to have special tokens/money to use the toilet.

philpaschall t1_j5p7v5q wrote

It actually looked better in the snow imo.

Half the complaints are that it’s art and not a statue. It has a cool meaning and looks as it’s supposed to from most angles. I bet it grows on people with time.

ammmarks t1_j5pitko wrote

👏bravo, and the other half is probably made by simple implicit racism

−7

Tzames t1_j5pu78l wrote

That’s a stretch and a half

gilgagorgon t1_j5pa3xw wrote

I was honestly really impressed with the detail in the hands. It’s pretty beautiful up close. But yes, that one angle is rough.

ErroneousEric t1_j5qj3fh wrote

At this point I'm more sick of people bitching about it than how meh it looks.

garfieldfan093 t1_j5qokch wrote

I went there in person and i actually thought it looked pretty good but it’s definitely better from the other angle

giritrobbins t1_j5yzk1f wrote

Totally agree. And it seems like everyone takes a zoomed in photo from far away as humanly possible

hotmilksand t1_j5p1cg7 wrote

i think everyone needs to get something straight

it’s either a touching homage to an historic embrace or a giant public metal turd penis and either way, it rules.

IslandinTime t1_j5q1pdg wrote

I stand with HotMilkSand, my guess is they understand embracing displeasure.

xxl_gal t1_j5qu5j1 wrote

It's what it's ruling over that isn't so great

Rats_In_Boxes t1_j5omci7 wrote

Can we petition the city to raise funds so we can have some heads attached to the disembodied arms? Or are severed body parts just a normal statue thing now?

epicjas0n t1_j5ozzti wrote

Sounds good until the head turns out looking like a hairy testicle

GabeAby t1_j5pr0v2 wrote

😂 look they might as well lean into it at this point

zeydey t1_j5on7qx wrote

Or maybe have them put the drape back over it?

septagon t1_j5ozx7u wrote

It could actually look amazing of the "heads" we're some kind of light instillation and they only appeared after sunset. People could come out as see it transform.

psychicsword t1_j5p7z7g wrote

I think it would look good as a wire frame of just the body with a minimum facade for the face. It wouldn't absolutely balloon the cost but it would still be enough to make sure that you think of it as arms rather than a penis.

CAPICINC t1_j5opn07 wrote

Bullet Bill gets loaded into a blaster for Mario Bros.

5teerPike t1_j5p0hgl wrote

Lol where were all of you when they asked the public to vote on which art project they'd install here?

Going forward, pay attention to what's happening in your own city if you hate this so much!

Edit: you don't have to like it, but I don't have to hate it!

SphaeraEstVita t1_j5pj95c wrote

They did not ask the public to vote on it. The committee had a Google Form where people could offer their input but this was not a vote and the questions weren't "which option do you like best" but instead "Which of the five MLK Boston design proposals do you believe best reflects the Kings' legacy? Why?" and "Which proposal most effectively addresses current social issues, and is also likely to remain relevant over time?"

[deleted] t1_j5pp455 wrote

[deleted]

−9

SphaeraEstVita t1_j5ppor8 wrote

The committee voted amongst themselves but there was never a public vote.

[deleted] t1_j5pqfre wrote

[deleted]

−11

SphaeraEstVita t1_j5pr1wm wrote

Paul English and other private donors funded it. It is not publicly funded.

[deleted] t1_j5prbtc wrote

[deleted]

−7

SphaeraEstVita t1_j5psarp wrote

I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make... If you are paying for art inside your house then no one else should have any say in it because that space is yours. If it is going to be in a public place then it should be something that the public approves of regardless of who is paying for it.

bbqturtle t1_j5p5pij wrote

The other ones were worse imo

Oblivious-abe-69 t1_j5pahpp wrote

I kinda liked the plaza one. Would have been really nice to have right in front of the state house.

If you look into the artist you’ll see he’s not actually very good, more of a conceptual artist than skilled one. Plus I’m assuming nobody wanted to tell him it looked like shit

[deleted] t1_j5ppekb wrote

[deleted]

−9

Oblivious-abe-69 t1_j5pst5a wrote

No I love it, but there are tons of artists who get by on concept that aren’t that skilled.

Actually my favorite post modern public sculpture is the tilted arc, also not terribly skilled creation. Literally just a big slab of steel Richard sierra put awkwardly across the federal plaza in nyc. The feds fucking hated it, it blocked the walk way, it collected trash and leaves, rats used it to run along. They ended up removing it many years later. I always saw it as a metaphor and jab at the feds.

This you know… ok I see the concept, the continuity of embrace, fluidity in composition. It’s semi realistic, which plays against them not having heads or bodies, kind of interesting. But you know… maybe reaaaaalllllllyyy check the angles and stuff to make sure there isn’t anything unintended implied.

Could have added some more defined fabric texture.. anything to break up that shape that looks like a turd dick. Still would have fit the concept.

Believe it or not it’s pretty easy to accidentally draw dicks into stuff

SphaeraEstVita t1_j5pjhft wrote

Strong disagree, I liked all of the other options whereas this one I actively disliked. The Empty Pulpit and Ripple Effects especially would have been cool.

giritrobbins t1_j5z03h6 wrote

I felt like the others were really derivative of other installations and monuments for different reasons. It likely wasn't the best, but it was the best of the options we had.

bbqturtle t1_j5pzp2o wrote

I like this one more because it stands out among other landscaping based monuments.

−1

jack-o-licious t1_j5rcxbe wrote

They didn't offer the public the option of an ordinary bronze statue of MLK standing atop a granite pedestal (like the famous George Washington statue). If they had, it would've won over this reductionist crap.

giritrobbins t1_j5z07dh wrote

Do people do large statues of people anymore?

I guess the Poe bronze is the most recently one I can think of but I think the trend has been to more abstract

Ill-Albatross-8963 t1_j5onk4b wrote

Name a bigger failure public art installation?

Have you seen the picture it was modeled after, didn't even do a good job with the try

Should look into whoever got paid for this thing for kickbacks

Chippopotanuse t1_j5ox2en wrote

So here’s the ones that jump out:

Lucille Ball shitshow

Elderly woman tries to fix priceless artwork

Ronaldo statue that looks like a bad acid trip

Balloon Fest 86 in Cleveland. Not really “art” but a public spectacle shitshow nonetheless.

But yeah…this MLK sculpture missed in every possible way.

Ill-Albatross-8963 t1_j5plgr0 wrote

The balloon one, oh man, yeah didn't air traffic and all

I dunno about the others, 10 million for this atrocity

[deleted] t1_j5opntr wrote

[deleted]

[deleted] t1_j5oq879 wrote

[deleted]

HeartFullONeutrality t1_j5ouwad wrote

Metal is expensive. Also, I'd guess shaping and transporting it costs money. How much do you think it should have cost?

[deleted] t1_j5ovglk wrote

[deleted]

−2

HeartFullONeutrality t1_j5ovsa2 wrote

Well, that's like, your opinion, man!

[deleted] t1_j5p6y8d wrote

I back his opinion

−2

HeartFullONeutrality t1_j5pciqi wrote

Cool. I mean, some rich douchebags decided to waste $10M of their money into building this monstrosity, why do you care? If anything, all the online snark has been worth it.

[deleted] t1_j5pifbp wrote

I am totally here for the snark, and possibly chaos.

I don’t care per se. Just don’t think this was the best use of funds, though agree everyone has the right to what they want with their money.

[deleted] t1_j5pzer3 wrote

[deleted]

−1

HeartFullONeutrality t1_j5s6qh5 wrote

Would they individuals that donated 10M for this have donated it if it was for affordable housing instead? furthermore, do they only donate to this cause, or do they donate to other, more social causes? how much affordable housing can you actually build with 10M? is it immoral to use money in anything other than affordable housing?

If it makes you feel better, one of my friends does fundraising for the arts. As a liberal, he hates that he needs to be surrounded by Republicans at fundraising events, but he says it's the only way to raise money, as Democrat donors are completely uninterested in donating to the arts: they all want to donate to feel-good causes, like the aforementioned affordable housing. Meanwhile, Republicans are more willing to donate to the arts (which is kind of unsurprising seeing how a lot of rich people use art to store value, if not outright to launder money).

nsolarz t1_j5pv3eo wrote

I'm gonna get downvoted to shit for this buuuut.... it looks way better in person. All these pictures from a distance far away are clearly not the intended way to view/experience it. the thing is ~20 feet tall, so your main viewpoint is looking up at it. funny how those pics don't make it to the top of r/boston...
One thing that is overlooked are the names inscribed on the walk around it, which is pretty powerful. This is not just about MLK.

Its not a perfect piece of art, but you should really experience it in person before you judge it.

Solar_Piglet t1_j5rq1nh wrote

> the thing is ~20 feet tall,

which is my biggest complaint. it ruins the aesthetic of the common. No matter where you are that thing just looks massively out of place due to its size. Its as big as the pavilion.

giritrobbins t1_j5z0hx0 wrote

It really isn't that bad. Soldiers and Sailors is fifty feet tall at the top a a hill, and the bronze relief near the state house isn't as tall but its wider and more intrusive I think.

If it was much smaller more people would climb on it and cause issues.

Solar_Piglet t1_j5zpmuo wrote

I've been there. Whether wide or tall, its volume is massive and out of place on the Common.

giritrobbins t1_j61238k wrote

And I've been by two or three times since it's opened. It's a matter of opinion about scale.

[deleted] t1_j5s4eut wrote

Am I allowed to climb on it? That might salvage it a little for me.

Solar_Piglet t1_j5tfue9 wrote

I don't recall seeing any signs saying you can't. Worst that happens is a ranger tells you to get off.

strawberryneurons t1_j5q2kqn wrote

Yeah I feel like the people complaining have nothing better to do. It’s annoying.

barfing t1_j5re11r wrote

All the complaining about this sculpture is making me like it more. Cool, you found the rude angle. Pat yourself on the back, Debbie.

TheLamestUsername t1_j5owrzt wrote

With enough snow it will look much better. However we probably won't be able to leave our homes when that happens.

IAmSnort t1_j5pils1 wrote

The little ducklings will still be the most popular public art in town.

oogaboogaaa2 t1_j5ovjdn wrote

The artist could have incorporated selections of the actual skeletal system underneath, like the shoulder blades and heart, to create more dimension in the piece and save it from looking like a turd penis. The anatomical formation of the hands in this piece is even poorly done. I could literally do better.

GoonAround t1_j5p06d6 wrote

I'm going to make a point to call someone a turd penis today

IIRizzII t1_j5ppuxc wrote

There were literally 100 submissions and they picked this one. 🤦🏼‍♀️

frauenarzZzt t1_j5qkt86 wrote

But did you see the final dozen they were choosing from? They all absolutely sucked. They should have done a better job soliciting proper designs.

strawberryneurons t1_j5q273j wrote

Prove it, do a miniature of it, otherwise you’re just typing. Look, I can do that too.

−4

oogaboogaaa2 t1_j5qaev1 wrote

Fuck off

strawberryneurons t1_j5qd9xn wrote

ha ha ha thank you for proving my point

−6

oogaboogaaa2 t1_j5rcm0v wrote

I’m a sculptor but ok, buddy, you won your imaginary argument. Thanks for proving that you’re a turd penis just like the statue.

Dajoey120 t1_j5omf71 wrote

I went with my GF and laughed after i saw this angle.

Let’s just say she wasn’t happy with me but i couldn’t not see a giant turd at this angle 😬

SnooPineapples8744 t1_j5qyjmj wrote

The problem is, it's anatomically incorrect.

Headless, torso-less arms. And if you stand in the middle you see a cutlet of Coretta's bare collarbone. No neck. It looks best from directly across the street.

Jewboy-Deluxe t1_j5p8hhr wrote

This post is so last week.

qppen t1_j5pqyqg wrote

It would be, but there was no snow last week.

jasongetsdown t1_j5phmoh wrote

Sick of this meme. It’s art. Not everyone is gonna love it.

koebelin t1_j5piub4 wrote

In the original picture the happy expressions on their faces are more striking than the embrace, which loses so much context just being arms and hands. They abstracted it too much, artists can do that.

89DEALS t1_j5ozob1 wrote

Is this the new Vitiligo Cock Awareness memorial?

Most-Order-9464 t1_j5pyuyz wrote

Haven’t seen it yet, dont think i ever will go out of my way to see it either. Ridiculous 😭

Gus_Pummels t1_j5qdyoa wrote

I have this poop for you, here

Justtryme90 t1_j5qw39j wrote

Getting real bored of these lame posts.

jotero32 t1_j5tbfrr wrote

I think we can save this work of art if we place a Dunkin in the middle.

Quirky_Butterfly_946 t1_j5ozpr1 wrote

Now it looks like someone is scarfing down a chocolate donut with white frosting

ConnieLingus20 t1_j5pb7us wrote

Why wouldn't they just put heads on the shoulders and arms? It would change everything

RickWest495 t1_j5pnuor wrote

If the heads are missing and you see the shoulders and arms, exactly where are you walking when you want under it?

stargazer4272 t1_j5pst2u wrote

Just the arms... Odd. If they have and arms,so you can tell they are arme it would have been ok.

beentheredonethatlou t1_j5q3mue wrote

Honestly yes , from this angle it looks like either a huge turd or a huge dick

But from the front it looks “better “

MeatSack_NothingMore t1_j5q4cy8 wrote

Everyone is going to hate this and then in 10 years there's going to be this weird local pride about it.

SaraSmilesssss t1_j5qohbt wrote

Semi-pornographic, snow covered turd.

seanhive t1_j5r1zqb wrote

I was gonna say, I just saw someone post a positive picture about this a few hours ago and I have to lean toward the positive outlook.

Once I saw the MLK/Coretta photo, I had an "oh" moment. Now I'm "getting to know" this sculpture. I don't know if that's the right approach for a sculpture artistically, but I'm fine with a sculpture that looks weird until you "get to know" it.

Let's see a year from now if it still makes sense.

scwelch t1_j5r7ixs wrote

Leaking something

DontUpvoteNotWorth t1_j5rav2o wrote

Does anybody support this statue? I feel like we can and should have a better one installed

2pumpsanda t1_j5rc6p5 wrote

To all the ladies who like doing a lil coke off a rager 😉

Sea_Consequence_7699 t1_j5rg0ag wrote

They should have just went the traditional route - nice marble plaque with a big base, engraved image, some kind words and be done. If he were alive he would be like wtf is that?

misterflappypants t1_j5rrqf6 wrote

you guys think you’re laughing now, wait until the kids start spray-tagging it with some squiggly veins

ScubaBroski t1_j5sa9xu wrote

This really cost about $10 million, eh?

shoecide t1_j5sbbic wrote

Oh. I see it now

set-271 t1_j5szdd7 wrote

It's either some girl nibbling on the side of a dude's dong..

Or some girl with her legs over a guy's shoulders and he's eating her out in between.

Sorry, it looks sexual either way.

nflreject t1_j5t095l wrote

Is that someone holding a tird? Or loaf of bread 🥖?

deadlyspoons t1_j5t1e4l wrote

Some people won’t be happy till they put up an equal-sized statue of Louise Day Hicks’s hairdo.

seasonalscholar t1_j5te3rp wrote

This is just terrible. The message was lost. And for 10MM??

MarcoVinicius t1_j62jmyh wrote

It's glorious!

Something about this statue really speaks to the shitty times we live in.

Edit: My other favorite part about this whole thing is that the artist went on TV and said that the people of Boston picked this. Great job trying to put the blame on us!

NothingColdCanStay t1_j5qrbij wrote

Art is interpretive, and you’re talking about it, OP. Thus, it’s doing something for your creative juice.

nukular_iv t1_j5oy4j0 wrote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

−1

FoodGuy44 t1_j5om48g wrote

$10 Million well spent….(sigh)

−2

yo_soy_soja t1_j5ora2q wrote

Tbf, it's $10m of some rich dude's money. Our taxes didn't pay for it.

gacdeuce t1_j5p04ra wrote

What do you think is going to maintain it for years to come?

−10

link0612 t1_j5p4g12 wrote

The private Friends of the Public Garden, who maintain most of the Common and Public Garden statues and facilities

TouchDownBurrito t1_j5p4mn6 wrote

The same private donors:

> Embrace Boston, a nonprofit organization that works toward racial and economic justice and is a part of the Boston Foundation, helped provide resources and $10.5 million in funds, including a maintenance fund, for “The Embrace” and the Freedom Plaza.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/15/arts/design/martin-luther-king-jr-statue-boston-common.html

gacdeuce t1_j5pxvhq wrote

That’s encouraging. Still an awful work of art.

[deleted] t1_j5p03zb wrote

Just gotta slap a brazzers logo & the picture is complete. 😌

−2

thatisgangster t1_j5p0ah2 wrote

When you hook up with a girl from nyc

−4

LEAKKsdad t1_j5p1g4w wrote

Just another stupid artistry take,

“I’m better than I think moment.”

“A simple statue of MLK not stylistic enough, I know, I will….”

−5

donkadunny t1_j5oopnk wrote

Let me tell ya, the incessant bitching about this public art installation (which is fine by the way) doesn’t do anything to make Boston seem less racist.

−30

blackdynomitesnewbag t1_j5oppd5 wrote

I’m black, and I hate this art

5teerPike t1_j5p0ywc wrote

So you accept others don't have to.

blackdynomitesnewbag t1_j5p2fcv wrote

Correct. All I’m saying is that we don’t have to seem racist to the rest of the world. There will be other black people elsewhere that will feel the same

5teerPike t1_j5p3035 wrote

Good thing no demographic is a hivemind nor a monolith.

That said, given MLKs own critique on the use of "dark vs light , black vs white" I can at least understand why someone would see some of the criticism as racist.

Edit: and I wouldn't call "that looks like a poo penis" criticism, but rather a reflection of what that person wants to see because that assertion is insulting and not constructive at all. It also reflects on the ignorance of people who just seemed to have 0 awareness that this project was taking place, selected by public participants in a vote out of 125 other, and was privately funded by donations. Enough people wanted this and participated in this that it happened. If you don't like the result, take that as a call to action to participate in the cultural development of your city more.

blackdynomitesnewbag t1_j5p3s7n wrote

The final result doesn’t look as good as the proposed renderings. Unfortunately, I don’t live in Boston proper, so I don’t get a say

bitspace t1_j5opp4y wrote

Who is allowed to have a critical opinion about it? Leslie Jones has plenty to say (while telling white people to sit tf down). I realize that it's a comedic bit intended to get laughs, but the question is sincere.

5teerPike t1_j5p15yg wrote

"here bhurrrr this look like a penis"

is an interpretation that speaks more to the person who wants to see that than what the art actually shows. You're free to see what you want, but now everyone knows that's what you're looking for subconsciously.

donkadunny t1_j5ovtco wrote

Who is allowed to have an opinion? Everyone. I’m not telling anyone to stop, nor do I have the capacity to prevent anyone from publicly having an opinion. I am just throwing my hat in the opinion ring.

−10

metrowestern t1_j5opmxu wrote

It’s not fine. It’s hideous, as is the amount of money that went into it.

5teerPike t1_j5p0v86 wrote

The private donations from people who voted for this statue?

donkadunny t1_j5ow2a9 wrote

You should call to get your money back.

−8

murdocke t1_j5p3rpc wrote

Complaining about an ugly statue isn't racist.

frauenarzZzt t1_j5ql9w1 wrote

How does pointing out the clear flaws in this sculpture and saying that Dr. King's legacy deserves better make people racist?