Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jojenns t1_j60pmw5 wrote

A significant portion of Boston apartments have gas ranges. I mean its gotta be nearly half anyway I would argue even more. I dont think it is by any means a needle in a haystack situation you are in

garfield1211 t1_j60qr4j wrote

I agree. However, I’ve toured 15ish properties in Medford, Malden, Waltham and Burlington but couldn’t find one. Maybe the condos or independent houses still have it but unfortunately that doesn’t work for me :(

−4

riski_click t1_j60v6xa wrote

Lots of properties still have gas stoves.. You should ask them before you tour. Most of the luxury buildings and new construction will probably have electric though.

[deleted] OP t1_j617ei6 wrote

You can ask realtors/managers before you tour I guess. It’s not an unreasonable question, just not a common one. I ask weird questions that are relevant to my search all the time, like is there a tub because I don’t like standups. If you know what you want, they’ll appreciate not wasting time showing you things you don’t. Hopefully.

becausefrog t1_j618v4x wrote

Make your broker earn their fee. Tell them what you are looking for and make them find you places that tick all the boxes. Every triple decker I've ever rented had a gas stove and heat/hw.

They are going to be phased out though, so maybe expand your search to include induction cooktops if you are looking in luxury apartment buildings. You may find they are the best alternative.

throwawaycsdds t1_j61npya wrote

I have yet to find a place that doesn't have a gas stove and I'm hoping for electric. Maybe we need to exchange listings.

trimtab28 t1_j61qjhy wrote

My building in the South End does. They're actually pretty common bar in recently renovated places

verossiraptors t1_j629546 wrote

My man has spent weeks looking for a place with a gas stove instead of an electric one, a decision that has absolutely zero impact on the day to day life living in his new place. Weirdo stuff

garfield1211 t1_j62ameu wrote

Lol not at all. I’m originally not from this country and there are some things that I cook in need a gas stove and cannot be done on an induction cooktop. For eg. cooking a sandwich in this: https://a.co/d/6voti1n

I have been eating sandwiches cooked in this growing up and I want an option to cook one when I like once in a while.

Also definitely not a conservative. So much that I was fortunate enough to be offered a job in California but I chose one in Boston because this city (and state) is more liberal than the likes of SF & LA.

bostonguy2004 t1_j62i2bw wrote

Good call, real cooks and Chefs cook on gas. Much quicker and more even heating, responsive temperature changes, and instant cool down if you need it.

Not sure home people cook things like eggs on electric coils or ceramic? I feel like it always burns that way and induction is great, but expensive, so unlikely unless it's a pretty high end apartment.

Anyway, good luck! You might be able to see gas meters on the outside of the building, which would be a good hint that the Apartment Complex likely has gas stoves.

−4

sihtydaernacuoytihsy t1_j63uvmi wrote

No. We get almost none. Power seems to go out on the south shore & the cape every time a kindergartener sneezes. Outages in Boston are minimal and tend get fixed fast. (Electricians up here do get bat signals that they need to rush down to the cape... again... to do line work.)

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j644drr wrote

I'm not sure that the extra time to get initial heat matters overall. The time difference thing matters for quick cooking stuff, but if you're doing something like boiling a pot of water, cooking chicken in a frying pan, or something like that? The more efficient option is electric by a wide margin.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j646frx wrote

I'm not saying they're the same. Gas stoves are inferior. By a wide margin before you factor in..

50 year old appliance technology that's been slowly replaced for decades being a culture war flashpoint is among the dumbest things I've seen in my life and we've been living in exceptionally dumb times.

harriedhag t1_j67hcbe wrote

I’m surprised you aren’t finding any. Something to keep an eye out for, if an ad specifically says “tenant pays gas”, there’s a good chance it’s a gas stove. Two places I’ve lived were “tenants pay gas,” which was like $12/mo because it was only for the stove (gas heat was included in rent).

You should also be able to tell from pictures… gas stoves will not have a smooth flat glass top.

Budget-Celebration-1 t1_j680ik0 wrote

Im not so sure it’s about efficiency. It’s about properly cooking food. I myself have not tried a good induction stovetop so I’ll not make an opinion yet. But my understanding is that you need a really good one to have the same ability to control the heat and very specific cookware.

subarusub69 t1_j6a0zl4 wrote

A majority of the apartments in eastie have gas