Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TVotte t1_jdppa6b wrote

LPT never wrap bananas in plastic. It makes them go bad.

OrgJoho75 t1_jdppi78 wrote

Look like 'pisang nipah' where it sold as banana fritters over here.

sashinexists t1_jdq3nko wrote

This is fucking sick! It would be cool if this was standard

−1

Orange_comfort t1_jdq5ngu wrote

We do it for tomatoes too. Keeps them fresh for longer. Or that's the belief anyway.

SnooHabits7630 t1_jdqa0ir wrote

This is how you'll find bananas in grocery stores in India. In all of them.

Poopedinbed t1_jdqbavk wrote

Becauae i wouldn't believe those were real bananas unless they were attached to the stall. Look at those chodes.

−1

CookingToEntertain t1_jdqi5sw wrote

When I was in south America I would buy one of these and put it on my balcony as a bird feeder. Would get so many cool birds all through the day

windofdeath89 t1_jdqo0xt wrote

I grew up in a banana growing area and it is indeed common to have these in smaller shops (Not supermarkets and the like).

You don’t have to buy the whole thing just take how many ever you want.

akayataya t1_jdqpsdr wrote

They tryin to copy them Brussel's sprouts

Scuba_BK t1_jdqqpba wrote

It will keep the bananas fresh for a long time

proto3296 t1_jdqs4d5 wrote

Do they remove the banana spiders???? Like what

derpmcturd t1_jdqumu1 wrote

what the hell is going on with those obese bananas

Lee2026 t1_jdr8s40 wrote

That’s are some thicccc bananas

extopico t1_jdra82j wrote

That’s a good variety too. Much firmer, stretchy flesh.

birdlawprofessor t1_jdrcywr wrote

Not quite? In my city in UP you will occasionally see green bananas sold like this alongside other vegetables, but in the fruit markets and at the grocery stores I’ve only ever seen them sold in bunches like they do in the west.

ToptenRubs t1_jdrd84e wrote

They are so girthy! Can’t wait to try to fit a whole one in my mouth

14X8000m t1_jdrf7ww wrote

Who wraps bananas in plastic? The gas released makes them ripen faster. Considering that they're already ripe, that means spoilage. It's also terrible for the environment.

APLJaKaT t1_jdrhaen wrote

That's cool. But how come they put the stalk in upside down?

KnudsonRegime t1_jdriiz6 wrote

The only reason it’s not is logistics. Bananas are notoriously quick to spoil in transit and fast transit is expensive. The banana trains in the US are still the fastest long haul freight method and they have priority over any other train on the tracks.

Since you can fit more bananas without their stalks it’s vastly more economical than wasting a bunch of space with non-edible material.

What nobody talks about is how stalked bananas are shipped LTL (less than truck load) and their carbon footprint is 20x+ that of bulk bunches.

MountainLog5291 t1_jdrkfkt wrote

I love when they put fruits and vegetables on polystyrene and wrap them in plastic. It’s so natural and biodegradable

odrea t1_jdrn3x5 wrote

more natural than that impossible XD

AVERSE_AVICE t1_jdrrafc wrote

a great way to cut out all that wasteful packaging... gif

WantsToBeUnmade t1_jds7b86 wrote

As an aside, I love how the same abbreviation (UP) can stand for such disparate places as the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Uttar Pradesh. I had to reread the sentence when my mind initially used the wrong one.

It's a neat contrast.

azechouser t1_jds87x1 wrote

This is an actual bunch of bananas. An individual banana is a finger, the small group is a hand, multiple hands is a bunch.

graebot t1_jdsejia wrote

Fuck you and the branch you grew up on!

Heterophylla t1_jdsgnoh wrote

What?? I thought they were made with a machine like sausages and they just used the banana peel as a casing.

JustABasicBadWitch t1_jdsmmrh wrote

Wait... I thought bananas grew in trees like coconuts??? Wait what the fuck does a banana plant look like? Are they not a type of palm tree???

Excuse me whilst I go down a rabbit hole about bananas... the last time this happened, I ended up calculating the weight of a giant sturgeon in both peel and unpeeled bananas...

marky294201 t1_jdt1043 wrote

Ive heard that american store bananas arent shit

NFASMG t1_jdtoiks wrote

Those small bananas are tasty.