Submitted by ioftd t3_z4e8u7 in movies

From friends or strangers. What’s the best thing someone has said (in theater or at home) after a movie ended? I do not condone talking during a movie, but I like to hear impressions after a screening, especially when it’s unprompted.

My favorite - after watching Children of Men, someone a row back from me said, sounding somewhat distraught, “I thought this was going to be a funny movie about men having babies!”

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

After_Hovercraft7822 t1_ixqf4by wrote

I saw a free screening of The Dark Tower.

When the movie ended, I heard a young woman tell her date “I hated this. I really hated this. I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can see you anymore.”, get up and leave.

Guy looked mortified.

My other one was a midnight screening (remember those?) of John Wick 2. The teenagers behind us were cracking jokes the whole time and pissing everyone off. As the credits rolled, the woman next to them stood up and said sternly: “I rarely get out to the movies. I was really enjoying this but you clowns ruined it. I hope you boys grow up. I hope you stop disappointing everyone around you. And you <points to the main jokester> when you find yourself old, miserable, and alone, that you have the decency to kill yourself and not make your sadness everyone else’s problem like you did tonight.”

Response was mixed claps and a lot of “😬”

cory453 t1_ixrhbc4 wrote

She thought of that during the opening credits and held it in for the entire film. I respect it.

APiousCultist t1_ixrfqi8 wrote

This is a scenario where someone needs to just throw out a "Yo, shut the fuck up." (or fetch a member of staff)

toadfan64 t1_ixs9q3a wrote

I've done variations of this, and 3/3 times it has worked so far.

The problem with fetching staff is you end up missing part of the movie.

lmJustNewBootGoofin t1_ixstgbx wrote

would you rather miss one scene or have people ruin the whole experience though?

toadfan64 t1_ixsto4i wrote

I mean yeah, I have contemplated leaving to get a manager, but telling folks to shut the fuck up has worked so far for me.

garrisontweed t1_ixsdexi wrote

When i worked in a Movie Theatre.Had the first one.With a furious woman storming out of the theatre about twenty minutes into the Movie.Her date looked absolutely deer in a head lights as she said don’t contact me ever.The Movie-Swordfish.

I’m pretty sure it’s the scene where Hugh Jackman character gets a bj as he’s trying to break the code in time .

Shintoho t1_ixsxawe wrote

I mean that's really what he gets for taking her to see The Dark Tower of all movies

bob1689321 t1_ixwpstv wrote

That verbal smack down went from ayyy to errrmmm. There is such a thing as too far I think.

corinners t1_ixrf0j1 wrote

Not post-screening, but at opening night of Avengers: Endgame. Packed theatre, luckily a very respectful crowd. At the part where Ant-Man gets out of the quantum realm and has no idea what is going on, he visits that memorial with all the names of people who got snapped, and the dramatic shot of him finding his own name....in the dead silence the dude next to me leaned over to his partner and said, "Who's Scott Lang?"

Marvel movies can be a nightmare if you're a casual viewer so I hope he wasn't too confused for the rest of the movie.

bob1689321 t1_ixwpmoj wrote

Ahahaha that's hilarious

One of my friends saw Avengers Endgame having only seen the first Avengers movie back in 2012. He was pretty lost.

Kingjoe97034 t1_ixqes70 wrote

After Star Wars The Phantom Menace.

“That cute little kid becomes such an asshole.”

Euphoric_Ad_2049 t1_ixsog4b wrote

To add to this:

"That was crap wasn't it?"

Some woman after coming out of Attack of the Clones.

TheCitizen616 t1_ixqe2ye wrote

Coming out of Zero Dark Thirty, I heard a guy ask his buddy, "So was that based on a true story or something?"

LupinThe8th t1_ixrg9ee wrote

Believe it or not, Ant-Man and the Wasp.

I had a little kid about 10 in the row in front of me. He laughed the whole movie...and then we got to the credits scene.

It was like witnessing a Vietnam flashback. The kid just froze like a deer in the headlights, a look of absolute horror on his face. His dad had to walk him out of the aisle like he was dragging a dog to the vet. Needless to say, it was hilarious.

I'm actually a little jealous. I'd love to see those movies through the eyes of a kid, and not a jaded adult who's like "yeah, sure, half the marketable characters are staying dead, I bet".

tinoynk t1_ixqenri wrote

After seeing The Last King of Scotland with a couple friends back in high school, one said “that was pretty good, but what the hell did that have to do with Scotland?”

Immadownvotethis t1_ixqwoex wrote

…but they say what in the movie. Doesn’t it show him giving himself that title?

tinoynk t1_ixqxapb wrote

Could be, I haven’t seen it since theaters. Maybe my friend was in the bathroom during that part.

Grungolath t1_ixrt9q1 wrote

While walking out after Dark Knight Rises

Grandad: “what a load of bollocks that was I couldn’t hear a bloody word Bane was saying.”

puts hands up to mouth to imitate Bane while strangers awkwardly look on

ioftd OP t1_ixqipqt wrote

Another favorite of mine, I saw a screening of Armageddon and stayed after for a drink (the theater had a bar attached) and overheard someone say to their friends “The earth can’t get destroyed! Where would we live?!”

gm5891 t1_ixqg2bl wrote

After Midsommar ended, the guy sitting behind me commented "That was gross! I could have just gone to rotten.com!"

TheFalconKid t1_ixthugr wrote

This guy discovered time travel in 2004 and the first thing he did was go see a future movie.

Slo-MoDove t1_ixrxhdw wrote

"OH great, so they're gonna have to make another one..." (My mom, when the credits rolled for Rogue One.)

Talk about a CLIFFHANGER, right?? What happens next???

Typical_Humanoid t1_ixqecbo wrote

I forget the exact wording but after a Kiki's Delivery Service rerelease a late twenties/early thirties sounding guy sounding a bit dazed was describing to his buddy how relaxing it was. I wish I was social enough to have chimed in, because I agree. Like a tonic.

PhillyTaco t1_ixrn1v8 wrote

Opening night screening of X-Men 2 in West Philly.

Credits roll. Big black dude stands up: "That was the best movie since Milo & Otis!"

Waste-Replacement232 t1_ixsdgyc wrote

After the Northman ended, someone stood up and started clapping and said “Now THAT is a fucking MOVIE. FUCK Spider-Man.”

Bocephus8892 t1_ixqfx5j wrote

I remember seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody" and these three teen girls screamed out "we love you, Freddie!" as the credits rolled and it warmed my heart because I grew up as a Gen X'er and Queen music was part of my youth, but now I saw three Zoomer girls express the same love I had for Freddie decades ago. Just made me realize that music can bind generations, and it's wonderful.

Balzaak t1_ixrgfwp wrote

Lawrence of Arabia

“Well… at least I can say that I’ve seen it”

conpower t1_ixse802 wrote

Leaving Killing of a Scared Deer I overheard a stranger sayings “When I get home I’m going to look up what that was about”

lisabea19 t1_ixu6xeu wrote

LOL! I think that’s surely the thought process of anyone who saw that movie without a study sheet! I did semi-enjoy it. Thought there were some wonderful performances in it, but it’s not really a great movie that you can just decide to go and see.

Fragahah t1_ixr7oyj wrote

At the ending of Jojo Rabbit everyone clapped, but the older gentleman in front of us leaned over to his daughter and said pretty loud, “Well, that was one of the oddest satires I think I’ve ever seen.”

bob1689321 t1_ixwqc5u wrote

He's not wrong

Okay Sorry to Bother You is probably odder but jojo has a weirder concept.

JoelCStanley t1_ixrjaim wrote

After Kill Bill Vol. 1

"It was good, I just wished they had killed more people"

lostonpolk t1_ixr2ueg wrote

Saw Jaws in Imax last fall. At the end, when >!Quint gets eaten!<, a Gen-Y guy exclaims to his friend, "This movie is DARK!"

GO-KARRT t1_ixr4k34 wrote

Girlfriend wanted to see Jeepers Creepers. We were literally the only ones in the theater when the movie started. They showed up 30 minutes late, sat not even one seat of separation away, and talked the whole time but not about the movie.

As we're leaving "That was the dumbest shit I've ever seen. I don't even know what it was about."

Well no shit.

toadfan64 t1_ixs9xr9 wrote

Unless you couldn't hear them, I would of flipped shit if they didn't eventually shut up.

Yorgus453 t1_ixr72v7 wrote

A friend, who last minute tagged along with me and another friend to see The Pianist: "f#ck you guys, taking me to a holocaust movie! I know how f#cked up it was, and didn't want to see that, jeez".

magepe-mirim t1_ixr8hyy wrote

Went to see “the descent” when it came out with my mom. We lived in rural church lovin west Michigan and were not surprised to see that the theater was relatively empty. As the movie was starting tho a sweet looking elderly couple came in, walkers and all, and quietly made themselves comfortable in the front row. My mom and I gave each other a “wtf?” look, but damn if they didn’t sit through the whole thing without a peep.

After it was over on the way out we heard the man say to his wife “I don’t think that was the robin williams movie.”

Close second—saw spirited away in theaters when it came out and it was packed with a lot of cheerful parents bringing their little (like 4-6 yr old) kids.

People were trickling out at various points, but the exodus really kicked off with the no-face stuff. By the end there were parents all up and down the hall on the way out, crouching next to their sobbing, terrified children and saying “I’msorryimsorryimsorryimsorry” while the kids were wailing things like “YOU SAID THIS WOULD BE LIKE TOTORO!!”

aVVarmVibrantVibe t1_ixr54js wrote

Not post-screening, but during the climax of It Comes At Night, someone from the backend of the theater said “What the fuck.. What the fuck is this movie!?!”.

Volfie t1_ixr2klv wrote

During the 80s there was one of those periodic flirtations with 3D, that would flare up for six months and then disappear for another 15 years or so. As I was going into the 3d movie, I saw my cousin coming out. I said How was it? He said, quote, "It bit." unquote. The only scene I remember was a woman taking a shower and dangling her tits into the 3D space. He was right: it did, indeed, bite.

PTfan t1_ixr8gyi wrote

What movie was it lol

Volfie t1_ixsamcg wrote

No idea. We didn't wear the two-colored 3d glasses but some sort of lensed plastic that gave half the audience a headache.

noobvin t1_ixs12r0 wrote

At the end of Prisoners, which throughout the movie had the worst audience I had ever experienced, a lady exclaimed "That's it?!" These people kept laughing through the movie like it was a comedy. They were the worst. One of the people was one of those annoying people who kept asking out loud. "Did he do it?" "Is he the one?" "What's happening?!" I would just passive-aggressively glare.

Apprehensive-Bit-899 t1_ixscm5k wrote

At the end of Blast from the Past, someone in the theater shouted “Blast from my ass!” And the entire audience erupted in laughter.

FictionallyPulped t1_ixr5tp3 wrote

A couple

Inception: As soon as it faded to black, the entire crowd groaned. Still have not heard a reaction like that.

Antichrist: Walked out to the lobby and I randomly asked this old dude who had also seen it, what he thought of it. Just figured he might have a fun hot take. He just went "It was riveting!" and I quickly ended the conversation there haha

CinematicGestures t1_ixtzi3e wrote

Interesting, I was going to comment about somebody saying “YEAH!” at the midnight premiere of Inception when it cut to the credits.

JC-Ice t1_ixsn9ps wrote

Went to a screening of Bram Stoker's Dracula recently.

"I didn't know that Tom Waits played Renfield in this."

"I don't think Tom Waits knew that either."

BobGoddamnSaget t1_ixt2fiu wrote

After seeing Nobody with Bob Odenkirk last year, as I was leaving I heard someone say “He’s like John Wick, but white”

Isn’t Keanu Reeves already white?

JC-Ice t1_ixxbuga wrote

Keanu is part Asian...but hardly anyone knows that!

BarelyLegalAlien t1_ixqxbad wrote

“Oh daddy!”

By a random dude.

Film? Bones and All

No that’s not the best comment, that’s the absolute worst. I was already uncomfortable with the whole thing, that dude made it next level. This was in a crappy theatre with a dirty screen.

PrinceNuada01 t1_ixrccs4 wrote

Lot of huffing and laughing when Don’t Worry Darling ended

5ingu1arity t1_ixrl49b wrote

While watching The Hateful Eight, some people who left the movie early, about 45 minutes in, muttered about how they only talked in the movie and it was slow as they walked past us.
To top it all off, they also came in to the movie theatre late.

SalaciousDumb t1_ixro4xh wrote

I was walking in to see Justice League and overheard somebody leave say “I’m sure Jesse Eisenberg is a nice guy, but…..”

capcalhoon t1_ixrx3kl wrote

I was riding in the NYC subway, these two Puerto Rican teen gals next to me started talking about District Nine. One was telling her friend "It's about this shrimp man, and he was crazy! He ran around... it was hilarious!"

I still think about that girl from time to time.

Dark_Pinoy t1_ixs9f0c wrote

At the end of Everything, Everywhere, All at Once: "That was a fucking EXPERIENCE!"

UnfriendlyFire9 t1_ixs9g65 wrote

At the end of Iron Man, Nick Fury mentioning the Avengers Initiative gave the guy in the row behind me what sounded like an actual nerdgasm.

The-Movie-Penguin t1_ixsatfn wrote

When Barbarian ended, this bimbo stood up and shouted, “That was so stupid!” He looked around with a dumb smile on his face, waiting for a laugh. Nobody did. It was so wonderful.

Horkersaurus t1_ixrkya2 wrote

Kind of the opposite. I saw Calvary when it came out in 2014, in a small theater with about 2 dozen people. When the end credits rolled literally everyone just sat in total silence for a couple of minutes before shuffling out without a word.

ICUMF1962 t1_ixs9kjy wrote

I remember a teenager screeching “THAT WAS WORSE THAN TEAM AMERICA!” after Son of the Mask

speedfreak444 t1_ixsbsaa wrote

After the movie Joker I overheard someone say to their friends: “It was like sitting through a 2 hour funeral for someone you didn’t know… but in a good way”

stunts002 t1_ixsjc1u wrote

After I seen Avengers on opening night here in Dublin, there was a guy dressed head to toe in full marvel memorabilia proudly telling his friends it was hell boy in the after credits scene and that he owns all the comics where they have to stop Hellboy for ending the world.

In fairness, despite reading the comics myself I genuinely didn't recognize it was Thanos myself...

RedNeck_Intellect t1_ixsmrex wrote

When I was a teenager my friends and I went to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze, which featured a musical number by Vanilla Ice called “The Turtle Rap.” The song, as I recall, featured a section with the lyrics: Go Turtle, Go Turtle, Go Turtle Go!

After the movie was over, a little girl jumped up and started singing “Go Turtle Go” and accompanied herself with an improvised dance. A young boy, presumably her brother, stood up, made the universal “stop sign” hand gesture, and said, “Stop Turtle Stop!” At which point the girl kicked him square in the groin and he proceeded to cry at the top of his lungs.

My friends and I all agreed that this event was more entertaining than the movie that preceded it.

pimusic t1_ixsdub7 wrote

Coming out of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, I overheard two guys:

“Well…that was disappointing.”

“Yeah..I’ve never seen a movie with so much happening, where nothing happened.”

Ozlin t1_ixsfl63 wrote

After seeing Wonder Woman (the first one), a woman in the row behind me stood and said to her friends, "This movie can lick my asshole. They keep making the same fucking movie."

I thought it was an apt review after the third act flopped it back to typical superhero territory.

monkelus t1_ixsls1h wrote

After watching Eternals, some guy behind me ‘I’m gonna wet my pants, I would’ve gone earlier but needed a way to add some excitement’

Turok1134 t1_ixsn51q wrote

I can't remember exactly what was said aside from "what the hell was that?!" so I'm already fudging the prompt, but the reactions during and after Killing of a Sacred Deer were hilarious. You could literally feel the bewilderment after.

Also, nothing was said during this exchange, but right after I saw Rambo 4, me and some older dude locked eyes and nodded at each other. It's like we had an innate understanding that we just watched something genuinely badass and could communicate it with a simple look and gesture.

DakJernalz t1_ixsorr9 wrote

This was actually at the very beginning of Fast Five. In the beginning of the movie Paul walker and some other people are rescuing Dom from going to prison and they crash the bus he was on to save him. Some guy said "so they killed him". Shit was hilarious and stuck with me all these years.

Korbinz8 t1_ixt06t3 wrote

Walking out of "Top Gun: Maverick" earlier this summer I overheard an elderly woman say "I feel like I just ran a marathon." Completely understandable

RDeschain1 t1_ixrfhqf wrote

A women behind me after Tenet „what a bunch of nonsense“(translated, not the exact words)

It also seemed like nobody liked that movie in my theatre

kingofcrob t1_ixsuwd2 wrote

after 'The Tree of Life' someone loudly groaned, 'thank fuck that's over'.

JohnGillnitz t1_ixtik2m wrote

I was coming out of The Matrix and heard a bunch of tween boys who had seen the movie too. They were hung up on the flying part and how would you ever know if you could fly if you never tried? Then they wondered why they had to start from the top of the building and not just from the ground. Then one did a Superman jump dive and landed face first in the grass by the sidewalk. It was good commitment to a joke.

IgnoreMe733 t1_ixs6znz wrote

I was working at a movie theater when the first X Files movie came out. During opening weekend as people were leaving some guy said to another "It leaves it wide open for a sequel!" His friend then said "No, it leaves it wide open for next season."

toadfan64 t1_ixsajrc wrote

My neighbor who was basically like a grandmother to me went to see Ted with her daughter years ago not realizing what kinda movie it actually was. Needless to say, they left fairly quickly and had nothing nice to say about it afterwards, lol.

Shinerjinx t1_ixrrofb wrote

After I saw Convicted, starring Sam Rockwell and Hillary Swank, a woman behind me leaned over and said, “ I think he did it!”

Effective-Dinner-686 t1_ixs93en wrote

Not exactly a single comment but one of my favorite theater experiences ever was seeing Phantom Thread in a small theater, about 10-15 people were there. The theater put the lights on as soon as the credits started rolling and I think the lights coming on combined with the super psychologically intense final scene of the movie resulted in all of us (strangers) just staying in our seats and talking about the movie. It’s the first and only time that’s ever happened to me and it was really cool.

OpeningDealer1413 t1_ixuhlhr wrote

One of the most underrated movies of the 2010’s. Absolutely gorgeous piece of filmmaking

maxmouze t1_ixskz5u wrote

Didn't make it to the end to be an official post-screening comment but... I went to see "Cold Pursuit" shortly after its opening and some guy in one of the front rows was loudly eating and muttering throughout which was annoying. Then after the film's villain kisses another guy, he stands up and storms out, but stops to shout back to us "WORST. FILM. EVER." Which was fitting 'cause he looked like the Comic Book Guy.

goldenboy2191 t1_ixso2zo wrote

Not the end, but I saw 2012 in a packed midnight showing (remember how those were a thing?). After the insanity of the 3rd Act, a woman was leaving the theater and was walking across the main walkway to the exit. When all of the sudden this woman comically and audibly falls, we’re talking Loony Tunes style one minute she’s there next she’s not. She hits the floor and immediately stands up, not a sound in the whole theater… until one person, God bless ‘em, let’s out a very stifled laugh. The whole theater then busts tf up. She walked a little too quickly out of that showing…

ToasterUnplugged t1_ixtkwps wrote

Literally just happened tonight, and have no clue what film the theater was showing, but this old lady walks out and says to absolutely no one:

“I can’t believe I paid money to see that.”

DragonTonguePunch t1_ixtynhl wrote

Blade Runner 2049. Very little in my showing but when it ended, older dude in front of me got up and walked while muttering "A sequel 35 years and this was all I got?"

Greenforaday t1_ixt0yqw wrote

Went to see There Will Be Blood back in 2007 with a friend. His girlfriend at the time came with, but she went to see a different movie because TWBB wasn't really her thing. After the film ended we were walking out and she was there waiting for us, and the first thing out of her mouth was "Jesus you look like you just saw someone murder your dog."

BaconBitz109 t1_ixtcq3u wrote

After money ball, two older women in front of me: “that Brad Pitt is so damn pretty, you forget that he can really ACT”

ClassyLatey t1_ixts2pb wrote

I remember turning to my husband at the end of Argo and saying - this wasn’t a comedy!

EssOnMaChess t1_ixu5ynu wrote

Never forget going to see a movie in Manhattan in the late 80s and a trailer for some Matt Dillon movie about hot angsty young guys and girls in the Midwest came on. The narrator dude had that “In a world…” vibe and they gave it the whole dramatic Hollywood big budget movie trailer treatment, building to the end where all the action suddenly stops and the movie’s title flashes to the screen and the announcer soberly reads it before the screen goes black: “Kansas.” There was like two seconds of total silence, then the entire audience erupted as one in hoots of laughter. Never seen anything like it before or since.

Jabrichmond t1_ixujm0g wrote

This was during the previews, but one for a Transformers movie came on and once it ended, my brother half softly went “boooo” and a good number of people in the theater laughed

rick_blatchman t1_ixrbtoe wrote

I went to see Hannibal when I was 14. There was a group of twenty-somethings in there who laughed at different parts of the movie, and as I passed them in the lobby afterwards, they were still laughing while doing mocking renditions of the opera vocals from the score. Considering how much I hate that movie (and the book), their reaction is still funny to me.

FatCobraX t1_ixtw7j8 wrote

Interesting, you hate the movie and the book. I feel there are some major differences between them.

rick_blatchman t1_ixvoe2i wrote

At least there's still the first two, and Manhunter. Love those.

kleptophobiac t1_ixrrzbi wrote

I watched Damage at a one-screen theater in Carmel, California. I was very strongly effected by the film, and was feeling pretty raw coming out of the theater. So when the older woman standing on the sidewalk told her husband, loudly enough for all of us to hear, "Oh, those are the people who watched that pornographic movie!" I told her exactly what I thought about that comment, and loudly enough that her elderly husband got to enjoy the humiliation of not being able to do anything about it.