Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

FreezingRobot t1_ivfmv9t wrote

I'm voting no, because I don't feel like we need a convention, and if we did, I don't want the current crop of morons we have in the legislature in charge of it.

4ever48 t1_ivjsd8g wrote

The current crop of morons Thank You for your 'no' vote. The rest of us, not so much.

−1

valleyman02 t1_ivfq7pa wrote

I agree it's obvious to me that both those questions are so convoluted on purpose by Republicans. It sure seems nefarious to me. No on both questions for me.

−7

kyles08 t1_ivfshn7 wrote

The second question is required by law to be asked every 10 years. Neither party has anything to do with it......

valleyman02 t1_ivgfcdr wrote

I admit I'm not too familiar with this law.

−3

pahnzoh t1_ivggo7c wrote

Yet you assumed it was something nefarious orchestrated by Republicans.

Man the bias and propaganda is so inherently baked into people now.

BigBlueDane t1_ivfu9og wrote

I’m voting no simply to not have to worry about any potential negative changes to the constitution.

4ever48 t1_ivjs2z9 wrote

Right!!! Remember the 18th Amendment?? Definitely a bad idea. :-)

[deleted] t1_ivh0l0o wrote

[deleted]

mplaz23 t1_ivhf33h wrote

They already do all that shit right in front us then run our noses in it. We have constitutional rights…until they say F that we’re just gonna do this. And by they I mean both sides. They both suck and they are NOT here to help you and I.

StylinBill t1_iviammn wrote

Against this would be the most fucked time ever to let some of these idiots have access to changing the state const

lendluke t1_ivja2gb wrote

Any amendment requires a 2/3rds popular vote be added. We've already lost if you think 2/3 of all NH voters will vote for something horrible.

goddammnick t1_ivf67vj wrote

Im voting against this - with the current legislative body in office, I do not trust them to amend anything in good conscience.

RoadAdventures t1_ivfeuvy wrote

Voting against this actually ensures that only the legislative body can propose constitutional amendments.

I am voting against it anyway because it's not needed, but I wanted to point out that your reason is inconsistent with your vote plans.

RoadAdventures t1_ivfajsx wrote

The constitutional convention vote is required to happen every ten years, and will likely fail, since it failed by a mile last time and I know of nobody that is campaigning for or against it.

Even if it passed, any proposed changes would have to be approved by 2 thirds more of the New Hampshire voters.

On the other constitutional question, the Register of Probate constitutional question eliminates an elected office that no longer has any duties or powers - all those duties have been transferred to different state agencies.

archigos t1_ivgzwpq wrote

Just a clarifying point that I THINK some are missing here: This is regarding the -state- constitution, not the US Constitution.

yo_mama_5000 t1_ivgidxy wrote

I’m voting no. I see no reason for change. And I also feel like this is not the political climate to do such things.

Adeling79 t1_ivh5djj wrote

The current constitution is sexist and enables NH, a state of 1 million people, to have one of the world's largest parliaments. You don't think anything needs changing?

−7

Ted_Fleming t1_ivhbk9h wrote

Larger parliament means we are way better represented

mplaz23 t1_ivhgtki wrote

Bullshyt. It just means more bloated govt that can’t actually do anything except spend money on useless shyt we don’t need while our schools decline our health insurance premiums skyrocket, our energy costs are ridiculous, & our roads are a mess.

But hey well be better represented by more morons who don’t give a toss about you and I.

I’m talking about both sides. We need a viable 3rd party more than ever. Just think if we’d elected 2 senators that were truly independent & represented the people of NH (or any state that could get a 3rd party candidate elected) instead of a party agenda they would’ve been able to hold up almost every bill that passed through congress.

That is handing some power back to the people.

Our experiment in a small, limited government has been an epic failure since WWI. Both Eisenhower & Kennedy warned us repeatedly about unelected bureaucrats seizing power bc leaders come & go while they seize more & more actual power.

4ever48 t1_ivjr90v wrote

YES. This is just how I feel. I feel much better knowing I'm not alone.

mplaz23 t1_ivk54c8 wrote

Yeah I’m afraid you’re in the wrong place for fair & balanced…Reddit is heavily slanted to liberal viewpoints, which is fine but a lot of reasonable viewpoints get shredded on here bc it says something negative about a liberal politician or viewpoint.

4ever48 t1_ivkyhfz wrote

Yeah, but I though NH wasn't as liberal as other New England states (formerly from MA).

mplaz23 t1_ivl1n40 wrote

No NH is quite independent & traditionally has been the outlier of the NE states. Recently I have seen a shift to a more liberal state but it’s extremely tight.

The coast is extremely liberal as well as southern nh & parts along the act border.

I moved here from MA as well in 2015. It amazes me how so many people complain about the terrible politics of Mass (& the lack of affordable housing) as prime reasons for leaving yet they continue to vote a straight Democrat ticket thinking somehow things will get better.

4ever48 t1_ivjr11a wrote

Adeling79 I wanna be your friend!!!

ThisIsNotTuna t1_ivf9p1m wrote

I'm gonna be honest here. I must have read both those questions 10 times over. Yet, the blatantly convoluted syntax made it all but impossible for an average joe like myself to even begin to comprehend what the hell it means.

From what I gather, they're attempting to amend....something. With The Constitution, no less. If that's the case, it's a hard 'NO' for me. That's about as far as I got.

Selfless- t1_ivfic3q wrote

2022 Ballot Questions Explained

The League of Women Voters was created to assist people who were unfamiliar with enfranchisement to understand the system they are part of. They still do that.

ThisIsNotTuna t1_ivfxaol wrote

Thank you for the reference! Certainly more useful than some comments I've seen throughout this thread.

tinyoddjob t1_ivhz1ly wrote

Thanks for posting. I’m still a bit lost on question 1 but this helped with question 2.

SkiingAway t1_ivfnkhy wrote

The wording is complicated because they need to amend it in multiple spots to accomplish the goal.

/u/Selfless- 's link is also a good one.

But for a simple explanation:

The Register of Probate for your county no longer has any responsibilities or functions. This eliminates it as an elected position and gets rid of the multiple references to it in the state constitution.

It's getting rid of an archaic office that again, no longer does anything.

You currently get asked to elect someone to a completely pointless office. After this, you wouldn't.

There's basically no reason for anyone to vote against it unless you've got some strong opinions against the court/probate reforms from over a decade ago and want functions to go back to that office.....I don't know of anyone who actually holds an opinion about that.

ThisIsNotTuna t1_ivg06e9 wrote

>I don't know of anyone who actually holds an opinion about that.

Well, nearly everyone (in this subreddit, anyway) seems to have a strong opinion about...something. Perhaps not specifically this, though there are some who appear to have strong opinions on everything political.

It may just be contentious rhetoric from a select few. But that's what I've seen whenever someone asks a political question on Reddit.

grammarGuy69 t1_ivfca82 wrote

Try Googling the questions you don't understand. Use many different sources and eventually you will understand what it means. Don't just blindly vote or make assumptions, that's more harmful than not voting at all. Either take the time to understand the question or skip it.

−5

Encyclofreak t1_ivg84iv wrote

I'm voting NO as well. Too much potential for the crazies of the vocal minority to get their way.

[deleted] t1_ivgmsvz wrote

[deleted]

Encyclofreak t1_ivialpt wrote

Knowing how little research most voters do on the candidates, I still don't think it's worth the risk of voting for delegates who would seize the opportunity to try to make drastic changes.

4ever48 t1_ivjrp3d wrote

What matters is that whatever changes the delegates come up wiht MUST BE PUT BEFORE A VOTE OF THE PEOPLE. Either you trust democracy or you don't. Which is it?

Encyclofreak t1_ivktofh wrote

If a constitutional amendment is as vaguely worded on the ballot as today's questions, then I would absolutely be concerned how people would vote on it.

4ever48 t1_ivkxzkw wrote

Yeah. Especially the one about 'registers of probate' what the Heck!!

Time-Friend5627 t1_ivgvqsa wrote

These days? No way. Much more could go bad than good at this point.

[deleted] t1_ivgmmg7 wrote

[deleted]

Adeling79 t1_ivh57s6 wrote

Agreed. The current New Hampshire constitution is wildly out-of-date. It starts by referring to humans as "men" or - in the more common interpretation - of only referring to the male sex (Source). The Bill of Rights also only protects religious people, but not atheists.

New Hampshire has one of the world's largest Houses of Representatives, even though it's one of the world's smallest democracies (by population). There is no reason we could not trim the number of representatives down by a reasonable number, and then increase the salaries of those remaining so that our representatives need not be independently wealthy or retired (Source).

I could go on, but I don't think any reasonable person would object to those two suggestions being on the ballot, even if they don't agree with the ideas themselves.

[deleted] t1_ivh9m40 wrote

[deleted]

4ever48 t1_ivjqvtr wrote

Think of it this way. The more state reps, the more gridlock, the more nothing ever changes. Most Republicans LOVE this.

golfgrandslam t1_ivgprbg wrote

Hell no. The Founders called a convention to amend the Articles of Confederation and came back with an entirely new constitution. Give these people an inch and they'll fuck you for a mile.

dangerzonebjj t1_ivi1r7n wrote

The constitution was better than the articles tho

4ever48 t1_ivjqczb wrote

George Washington was in favor of passing a Constitution. Wasn't George a Founder?

Ok-Half971 t1_ivga2iw wrote

Voting no for many reasons. Political tumult. Also constitutional amendments require a 60% majority so it would be a waste of time and state resources. Please vote no if either of those points resonate with you!

tylermm03 t1_ivhiy51 wrote

No. Politicians are to greedy and insane to be allowed to edit the one document that ensures our civil rights.

beyond_hatred t1_ivj7u8e wrote

I would only answer "yes" to this if I knew what one thing they wished to amend. And then only if they were legally compelled to change only that one thing.

Otherwise,I don't trust them not to do something bad.

lendluke t1_ivj9w0y wrote

Any amendment requires a 2/3rds popular vote. Not sure what the concern is.

beyond_hatred t1_ivjhty7 wrote

In the NH constitution or the US constitution?

Based on some quick googling, there are two ways to amend the NH constitution - the first, by convention, requires a vote by delegates. It doesn't mention if a super-majority is required. This seems to be the method proposed on the ballot.

The second (legislatively) requires a 60% vote by legislators, and then 2/3 popular vote.

https://www.nhlawoffice.com/blog/2018/november/how-do-you-amend-the-new-hampshire-constitution-/

ItsMeFergie t1_ivhvkub wrote

I’m voting yes. It should be in our state constitution that fake maple syrup is made illegal. Any company/institution selling, manufacturing, promoting, etc… fake maple syrup should face life in prison and potential execution for treason. Only half /s

redeggplant01 t1_ivfa8ap wrote

If voters decide they want a constitutional convention then they would be tasked with choosing delegates to the convention at the next election, similar to the process for choosing state representatives.

Then, if three-fifths of those delegates agree on changes to the state constitution, the final changes would be put before voters at the next biennial election.

Lords_of_Lands t1_iviutnt wrote

I kind of want to vote yes so the politicians will waste their time trying to figure out what to amend rather than screwing over anything else, but I probably won't.

demoran t1_ivj65v4 wrote

Do I have to cosplay?

jdkeith t1_ivh9j94 wrote

NH or US constitution?

4ever48 t1_ivjq3qa wrote

NH. New Hampshire Constitution. The ballot question today is for calling a convention to change the NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE Constitution.

jdkeith t1_ivkv840 wrote

Yeah, then no. Thanks for the info.

4ever48 t1_ivjnonc wrote

Hey beyond, the one thing that I would amend would be the right to vote by mail. Actually, there are several paragraphs in the NH constitution that enshrine the 'absentee ballot' laws that we currently use. This is why I am voting yes.

4ever48 t1_ivjo0ul wrote

There is so much distrust of government in this thread it boggles the mind. Why don't you folks drop the pretense of democracy and just come out for full anarchy??

−2

[deleted] t1_ivfpzyq wrote

[deleted]

−6

JayBisky t1_ivhuap8 wrote

Nope the founders got it right the first time. Don’t need to revise anything

−6

Prestigious-Voice110 t1_ivjvb8h wrote

Um, the founders actually said the constitution should be ever evolving and it does not make sense for it to not change every certain number of years. They were smart enough to realize laws passed 40+ years ago were voted on by people who are now dead and gone and the currently living people who would be affected by laws should have the right to change them. Read up your history and do some logical thinking. There is always a need to revise everything.

ItsMeFergie t1_ivhvq75 wrote

Apparently all humans are men then.

Shirt-Medium t1_ividf6m wrote

They are synonymous in the constitution are they not? what would you replace?

ItsMeFergie t1_ivig44g wrote

I'm not going to get too deep into my own political beliefs. But I believe changing "All men" to "All people" is very appropriate. It's not even a woke issue just very old outdated terminology of a document written WAY before women had the right to vote. However I will still be voting no. Who know what other bullshit EITHER party would try to pull and with the current political climate of the nation no fucking way is it worth the risk. Synonymous can also be subjective.

NickTz20 t1_ivjscen wrote

Wants to be created equally, but doesn't want to break a nail in construction jobs.

−5

ItsMeFergie t1_ivk17wk wrote

Wants to be superior but doesn’t deal with a period every month hormonal shifts and popping kids out of them. But you pop off king. You dropped this 👑

NickTz20 t1_ivk1i0u wrote

That's your rebuttal 😂😂😂. I can assure you more men bleed daily than women.

ItsMeFergie t1_ivk1o2b wrote

Not sending a real rebuttal because an internet stranger isn’t going to change your mind. Not worth the effort. I feel sorry for the women in your life.

NickTz20 t1_ivk1uwb wrote

Oh I didn't see that response coming 😂. I'll let them know you're sorry for them.

4ever48 t1_ivjpred wrote

Uh, what are you talking about?? This is the state constitution, not the U.S. constitution.

. Between 1894 and 2012, New Hampshire voters approved eight constitutional convention questions and defeated five.

Article 100 the section title "Oaths and Subscriptions Exclusion from Offices, Etc.," of the New Hampshire Constitution governs the constitutional convention question.

HEY. Ya' learn something new every day.