Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Testy_MacTestry t1_jc3z86x wrote

I think there is a Sabarros at the train station!

YourCynicalUncle t1_jcck2um wrote

You're out of your mind if you think Sbarro represents ny pizza.

Best I've tried in the area that's NY style is Gia Marie's in East Haven. Depending on where you are in Hamden, probably 10-15 min ride

whosmellslikewetfeet t1_jc3wqvn wrote

Sorry bro, around here you get New Haven style apizza

loper6989 OP t1_jc3zp9q wrote

Lol

−5

Resurgemus t1_jc47bsx wrote

New Haven style pizza is world famous you know. It's not a joke. It's the best pizza in the world.

loper6989 OP t1_jc4frpg wrote

I been living near New Haven for 6 years. Being from New York, sometimes I want that style lol

Resurgemus t1_jc4q5jg wrote

Ok. Well... I can't recommend any ny style but Dimatteos in Hamden has great pizza. Not quite New Haven style, not quite NY, but excellent.

YourCynicalUncle t1_jcckm7n wrote

Native NYer and only here for 3 years. Sometimes I want pizza that isn't burnt

ruiner9 t1_jc4batm wrote

Sapori is great. Also try Olde World on Whitney, they’ve got a great pie too. If you don’t mind a little drive, I think Rossini’s in Cheshire beats out any of the famous New Haven joints. Their sausage and pepper pie is to die for.

DrewSharpvsTodd t1_jc4bswo wrote

I would classify Olde World as New Haven style

Educational_Map919 t1_jc50h7y wrote

Shhh

adramgooddrink t1_jc58rdb wrote

I mean, when you get down to it, New Haven style basically tastes like NY style with more flavor, right?

/s (partially)

curbthemeplays t1_jc5s57h wrote

Aside from Pepe’s and Sally’s, and maybe some more char-focused newcomers like Nolo, most other places aren’t that different from GOOD NY style. The problem is most people expect pretty crap pizza when they think NY style.

At1l t1_jc4mb8k wrote

DeMatteo’s in Hamden, Michaelangelos near Yale Bowl or Cappetta’s in West Haven. Dayton St. in Westville says Apizza but it’s not NH style. Google them and see if that’s what you’re looking for.

Resurgemus t1_jc4qmm3 wrote

I wholeheartedly agree about Dimatteos. Not NH or NY quite but excellent. Cappettas has ok pizza, excellent food in general, imo.

rayraidho t1_jc69r5t wrote

Sapori D’Italia I’m hamden is run by the same family as Michaelanelos FYI

HighwayCactus t1_jc7685m wrote

I agree about DiMatteo’s in Hamden - my partner grew up on Long Island and says it’s the closest to Long Island style pizza around here. It’s also super cozy and has been around for forever.

dommywhoa t1_jc3zvzr wrote

Marco Polo and Yorkside in New Haven.

For Hamden, there's Sorrento's on Skiff Street and Paul and Eddy's on Whitney. I prefer Sorrento's, and they actually make a decent Sicilian. Paul and Eddy's does single slices but only between like noon-1pm. Am originally from New Jersey, so I get the sentiment totally.

guapomalo t1_jc4aukk wrote

You are correct about Sorrentos( that sauce!!!)

DrewSharpvsTodd t1_jc4bkjb wrote

Paul and Eddy’s. I am a pizza snob. It is good.

brewski t1_jc7x7ab wrote

Surprised to see that opinion by a "pizza snob".I've eaten there plenty since my kids seem to like the ambiance. Respectable pizza. Out in any Midwestern suburb it would be far and above the best pizza for hundreds of miles. But around here, it's probably like #20 on my list. Behind Mangia, Olde World, Odie's, Eli's, Ernie's, Zuppardi's, Dayton St, even Da Legna.

DrewSharpvsTodd t1_jc854x0 wrote

Eli’s is shit lmao. What are you talking about.

brewski t1_jc89gr6 wrote

You are the only adult I know who rates Paul and Eddie's as anything better than average for this region. Eli's took over the historic Bimonte's place and didn't change much. It's not top tier but I'll take it over Paul and Eddie's any day or the week. Cheese, sauce, crust. Better in every respect.

Morgan_3D t1_jc4en39 wrote

second for paul and eddies. its consistant. Olde world is good too but more new haven style

EvenEvan13 t1_jc59672 wrote

Sergio's Pizza on Rt 10 in Hamden, closer to Cheshire.

WeirdFrog t1_jc3uowv wrote

My go-to when I was in the area was Falcon Pizza, maybe not the best in the area but it was nearby and pretty good, great garlic knots.

sjm293 t1_jc4ychb wrote

Zeneli’s is more of a Napolitano than NY but it’s excellent

Stonedpicking t1_jc543l9 wrote

Inferno in North Haven is excellent and more NY style imo

MochaUnicorn369 t1_jc55k9k wrote

You looking for a Koronet style slab? Not sure where you’d find that. I’d say Bellini is kinda New Yorkish. Their calzones are the best too.

MochaUnicorn369 t1_jc55rqx wrote

Grand Apizza North on route 5 in North Haven might be more New Yorkish. Good pie.

liskd t1_jce6pki wrote

Fairfield Pizza in Stratford or Planet Pizza in Shelton are real slice joints as you'd see in the closer NY suburbs (Westchester/Long Island/ North Jersey).

MeaninglessLiving13 t1_jcmgqbs wrote

Go back to where you came from scumbag and take your shit pizza with you

heathercs34 t1_jc3xzpm wrote

Have you tried Yorkside?

TheMusicGenome t1_jc43wxf wrote

Yorkside is Greek pizza. Not NY style.

heathercs34 t1_jc45kqt wrote

100% Greek, but closer to NY than New Haven?

TheMusicGenome t1_jc46lxv wrote

Closer but not quite right. It’s been a couple years since I’ve been in the regular NHV scene but I would probably suggest Est Est Est being closer to a NY style pie than Yorkside.