Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WeirdFrog t1_jc3uowv wrote

My go-to when I was in the area was Falcon Pizza, maybe not the best in the area but it was nearby and pretty good, great garlic knots.

dommywhoa t1_jc3zvzr wrote

Marco Polo and Yorkside in New Haven.

For Hamden, there's Sorrento's on Skiff Street and Paul and Eddy's on Whitney. I prefer Sorrento's, and they actually make a decent Sicilian. Paul and Eddy's does single slices but only between like noon-1pm. Am originally from New Jersey, so I get the sentiment totally.

ruiner9 t1_jc4batm wrote

Sapori is great. Also try Olde World on Whitney, they’ve got a great pie too. If you don’t mind a little drive, I think Rossini’s in Cheshire beats out any of the famous New Haven joints. Their sausage and pepper pie is to die for.

Morgan_3D t1_jc4en39 wrote

second for paul and eddies. its consistant. Olde world is good too but more new haven style

At1l t1_jc4mb8k wrote

DeMatteo’s in Hamden, Michaelangelos near Yale Bowl or Cappetta’s in West Haven. Dayton St. in Westville says Apizza but it’s not NH style. Google them and see if that’s what you’re looking for.

sjm293 t1_jc4ychb wrote

Zeneli’s is more of a Napolitano than NY but it’s excellent

Stonedpicking t1_jc543l9 wrote

Inferno in North Haven is excellent and more NY style imo

MochaUnicorn369 t1_jc55k9k wrote

You looking for a Koronet style slab? Not sure where you’d find that. I’d say Bellini is kinda New Yorkish. Their calzones are the best too.

MochaUnicorn369 t1_jc55rqx wrote

Grand Apizza North on route 5 in North Haven might be more New Yorkish. Good pie.

EvenEvan13 t1_jc59672 wrote

Sergio's Pizza on Rt 10 in Hamden, closer to Cheshire.

curbthemeplays t1_jc5s57h wrote

Aside from Pepe’s and Sally’s, and maybe some more char-focused newcomers like Nolo, most other places aren’t that different from GOOD NY style. The problem is most people expect pretty crap pizza when they think NY style.

HighwayCactus t1_jc7685m wrote

I agree about DiMatteo’s in Hamden - my partner grew up on Long Island and says it’s the closest to Long Island style pizza around here. It’s also super cozy and has been around for forever.

brewski t1_jc7x7ab wrote

Surprised to see that opinion by a "pizza snob".I've eaten there plenty since my kids seem to like the ambiance. Respectable pizza. Out in any Midwestern suburb it would be far and above the best pizza for hundreds of miles. But around here, it's probably like #20 on my list. Behind Mangia, Olde World, Odie's, Eli's, Ernie's, Zuppardi's, Dayton St, even Da Legna.

brewski t1_jc89gr6 wrote

You are the only adult I know who rates Paul and Eddie's as anything better than average for this region. Eli's took over the historic Bimonte's place and didn't change much. It's not top tier but I'll take it over Paul and Eddie's any day or the week. Cheese, sauce, crust. Better in every respect.

liskd t1_jce6pki wrote

Fairfield Pizza in Stratford or Planet Pizza in Shelton are real slice joints as you'd see in the closer NY suburbs (Westchester/Long Island/ North Jersey).