Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

toddrob t1_j1kp6ph wrote

I drive straight through between South Jersey and Orlando regularly. Overnight is way better, in my opinion. I prefer to leave around 7pm on a Wednesday night, and it usually takes around 14 hours including a few quick stops for gas/bathroom/stretching.

I drove from NJ to Orlando during the day on Friday 12/2 and it took 17 hours. Longest it’s taken me is 18 hours when part of 95 was closed (in SC I think) due to a storm a few years ago. Overnight the longest trip has been around 15 hours.

I always put my destination in Waze and go whatever way it says. Usually it’s 295 in NJ and then 95 the whole way, with one or two beltways (295) around DC and/or Jacksonville.

Good luck!

Sinsid t1_j1l254e wrote

Ya 95 the whole way. At night that’s what Waze is probably going to say. During the day it might give you a few detours off 95 due to traffic.

Mr-MarkX t1_j1nc17j wrote

I would do that same when I used to go to my yearly trek to go see the Daytona 500 in February. Leave 6:00 PM Wednesday just after work, drive all night with 2 stops for gas, get to Daytona beach around 8:00 AM the next day. Was easy because we had 2 people driving and we would take turns. Took 95 straight all the way down, just had to be careful not to drive too fast since there would be stretches for miles where we were the only car on the road, so would stand out.

TheRacoonist t1_j1klzoc wrote

EWR to MCO

No_Appointment_1686 OP t1_j1km77a wrote

Going for 2 months. Wife has the pickup packed to the gills.

BenBishopsButt t1_j1mk6m4 wrote

Have you considered picking up the auto train outside of DC? Doesn’t save time but it does save the frustration of an extra 12 hours on the road.

Practical_Argument50 t1_j1kmpfz wrote

Drive to Loudon VA put truck on train take train down to Orlando.

LostSharpieCap t1_j1kq48f wrote

This is the only civilized way to go to Orlando. Sit back, watch the world roll by, eat, drink, be merry.

preppysurf t1_j1m85xz wrote

It’s not civilized at all. It’s a terrible experience. Much better to drive in the comforts of your own vehicle

mikeyd1276 t1_j1mjejh wrote

civilized if you splurge for the roomette. Take a sleeping pill around 7:30, wake up almost there.

choppedfiggs t1_j1kt5xz wrote

I always thought about this on the dozen trips I took to Florida from NJ and back but the cost negated the savings of not flying.

But I guess if you aren't doing it for the cost savings because of stuff you are bringing, it works

Nexis4Jersey t1_j1ldrzt wrote

You have to book at least a few months out for this route to get a cheaper price. And travel in Coach which isn't all that bad on this route since the seating is more spaced out and built for long distance travel. Its a very popular service often selling out during peak snow bird traveling months and its one of a few routes that turns a profit.

choppedfiggs t1_j1lfumk wrote

At its best, it's $90 a person and $325 for a pickup. At minimum that's $500. Plus when I checked prices right now out 2 months when no one is really traveling and it was $115 a person for coach, so $550.

And that $550 adds another 5 hours to your trip not including the other issues like time it might take to get on the train and situated. Plus of course the train leaves at a specific time so you have to stress about not hitting traffic on the way there and not arriving in time. So instead you arrive early which means you are wasting more time you could be driving.

It has pros obviously which is that you get to relax the whole time and it's more scenic and wear and tear on your vehicle and all that but the pros never overcame the cons of the cost plus time addition for me.

Sinsid t1_j1l27zg wrote

How’s that work? Got a website?

Significant-Mention1 t1_j1kn4pl wrote

The western route is a nicer drive if a little longer mileage. Getting around DC can cost you all the time you save with the shorter route depending upon traffic. I almost always go 81 after getting stuck too many times in DC.

T_D_A_G_A_R_I_M t1_j1kn5q3 wrote

I liked going over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel and then picking up 95 at the VA/NC border. That route is about an hour longer but it's more scenic and avoids DC congestion. I've never done the other route you mentioned above. However, most times I'll just use Google Maps/Waze and follow whatever they suggest is quickest.

SirMctowelie t1_j1kpdhc wrote

Correct. I'd rather be moving then sitting and the bay-bridge is awesome. Avoid the DC beltway at all costs.

peter-doubt t1_j1kphz5 wrote

Maps ... suggestions are out of date 2 hours after you make the critical choice. That means you're near Philadelphia when DC traffic determines your fate!

ShowerBeer- t1_j1l2vy3 wrote

All the top navigation apps are constantly checking for faster routes or detours, and will adjust the route as needed

peter-doubt t1_j1lv00o wrote

Once you're halfway across Pennsylvania that won't matter.. at all

Castor_and_Pollux123 t1_j1kxcde wrote

Do not exceed the speed limit in Virginia.

zac987 t1_j1l66cc wrote

~speed monitored by aircraft~

preppysurf t1_j1m81v3 wrote

You can exceed the speed limit and should do so to keep up with the flow of traffic. Stay under 20 MPH over and always under 85 and you avoid reckless driving. 77 MPH in a 70 and 74 in a 65 is plenty safe.

I drive 10s of thousands of miles in Virginia every year. I know what I am talking about.

TrueAd3615 t1_j1m3y2u wrote

Why? The only state I've seen a consistent trooper presence is Georgia.

BenBishopsButt t1_j1mkiri wrote

It is extremely easy to catch a criminal charge in VA if you drive the way many people drive here in NJ. Not just a ticket, not a simple civil infraction, a full blown criminal charge.

VaMoInNj t1_j1mkxx7 wrote

VA State Troopers have a thing for NJ plated cars. To the point that when I moved to NJ I got a vanity plate that made it clear that I was from VA so they would leave me alone.

Torvaldr t1_j1mpiwv wrote

They have a hard-on for any out of state plate.It's not personal.

Source: Been pulled for speeding in VA with 5 different state plates over the years and various anecdotes from others. Yours included.

VaMoInNj t1_j1l0165 wrote

Take 95, but once you get to DE, take DE-1 south and then catch US 301 to the Bay Bridge and then US 50 back to the DC Beltway / I-95. Save a bunch on tolls, and you miss all of Baltimore and most of DC. Delaware recently redid 301 to be all freeway grade, and once in MD, it becomes a surface highway but has no traffic lights.

Can also stay on 301 South in Bowie, MD and take it down into VA and catch I-95 again just north of Richmond. Adds a toll for the Nice Bridge between MD/VA, but if DC / NOVA traffic is crap, it will save time.

Mastersheex t1_j1mio7y wrote

Have done multiple trips to Durham for work from central jersey, and if you leave in the am, it will almost always take you this way. Anything after 4p. It will take you through 95 and some 495/395 variations.

VaMoInNj t1_j1mkrdd wrote

I’m from Richmond, VA and drive between Newark and Richmond a good deal, I’ve never had google or Waze try to route me down 301 instead of 95. I’ve found that Waze likes to take me to Baltimore and then down the BW Parkway into DC and then out on 395 back to 95 in Alexandria.

Making the drive tomorrow morning, so we’ll see if it has it figured out yet.

GoldenAlexanders t1_j1klnzt wrote

I'd vote for 95 all the way.

machagogo t1_j1knmk7 wrote

Especially if you time your departure right for Baltimore and DC.

StNic54 t1_j1kp311 wrote

I’ve spent a lot of time on 75, 85, and 95. Find a time that DC will be mild, go with 95 and branch off just east of Orlando. 75 will be icier and snowier in the carolinas, avoid atlanta, and don’t make any attempts near western carolina mountains during the winter if there is a chance of ice.

whskid2005 t1_j1kpcbm wrote

I like 95 all the way. The auto train from Virginia is great. I also like to leave NJ in the afternoon/evening and drive till 1/2am (about ten hours).

rsvp_nj t1_j1kp3ur wrote

Question: Is there a substantial toll difference?

whskid2005 t1_j1maain wrote

Tolls for one way is like $20-25 with most of that being in NJ (assuming you start at the northern end of NJ)

Red__Sailor t1_j1lsn78 wrote

Take that western route. Beautiful roads!

It’s longer but you only live once. Also, it’s NOT a race. Take your time. Rest. Be safe

No_Appointment_1686 OP t1_j1lyz2i wrote

I think that's what my plan A is. Stop overnight in Charlotte.

Red__Sailor t1_j1m0qji wrote

Not bad. I try to push it a little bit on the way south so day 2 is shorter

preppysurf t1_j1m8bws wrote

If you’re going to drive slowly and abide by the speed limit, stay in the right lane. No need to impede traffic for those of us who know how to drive. Nearly impossible to die or get seriously injured in a new luxury car.

Red__Sailor t1_j1m8g7d wrote

Agreed! I drive vintage Volkswagens so your lucky if you’ll even see me on the Highway lol

rewardiflost t1_j1klzvs wrote

I've done 95 all the way to SC, and that's where you'd pick 95 back up anyhow.
Unless you have a reason to change, 95 will the shortest mileage and least time.

JoshGhost2020 t1_j1ks1x8 wrote

95 all the way. Start the drive at 6pm.

afreshhhh t1_j1kte91 wrote

Take 95. Make sure you take the highway around DC instead of going thru it

Mr_Matt_K t1_j1kxgsa wrote

95 was cancelled through DC which is why it goes around it on the Beltway.

VaMoInNj t1_j1ml3in wrote

Waze and Google have a bad habit of trying to take you thru DC on 50-295-395 instead of just staying on the Beltway.

choppedfiggs t1_j1kysko wrote

Just follow the GPS but mostly 95 unless traffic and GPS will help navigate around

Only important thing is time you leave. I have done that trip a dozen times. My parents and extended family take that trip multiple times a year. Leave between 6pm and 3am. Try and tackle most of the trip at night when traffic is non-existent. Most important is getting past Washington before 7am when traffic picks up and will add hours to your trip.

solidblu t1_j1lc5wl wrote

Depends on where in NJ you are coming from, 78 is a more of a safer gamble for less traffic during normal times, No clue what X mad traffic looks like. Google maps and Waze are your friend tomorrow.

Best of luck, be safe, if others find this and are looking there is a good dog friendly hotel in Fredericksburg, VA that has some ok food options. I use it as a half ish way stop to my folks in SC.

IHate2ChooseUserName t1_j1maawr wrote

95 all the way. plenty of stops for food/rest if you need it. always good idea to leave the evening.

whodisacct t1_j1mjap3 wrote

1. Stop at Buccees in SC.

PittCaleb t1_j1kuuq2 wrote

Avoid 95 at all costs. 78/81 always

CassiLeigh16 t1_j1kz80f wrote

Did it for years going to FL for family vacation- 78 to 81. You will question EVERYTHING if a hint of DC traffic gets to you on 95. If you are a single driver, Rock Hill SC was always our stopping point on the way down for a decent hotel, but the last few years we did it we had 3 drivers and a dog and just went straight through.

JJorda215 t1_j1l3ezm wrote

I've done both in the past. The views on 81 are much nicer than 95, plus much less risk of traffic going from Philadelphia through South of DC. Traffic always seems to just move more quickly. Google maps said 81 was about an hour longer, but I think I made up for that with the additional speed I was able to carry down 81 to 77.

Be sure to time the trip so you're on 77 during the day. Views are phenomenal. You can see for miles on that descent.

MickCollins t1_j1l4rlp wrote

95 all the way; don't bother with anything else until you get to I-4.

Source: Lived in Orlando for seven years and made that drive when I was moving from the fucking shithole known as Illinois, stopped for a week to see family in NJ where we're all from on the way down. (For me it was 80 to 287 to my grandmother's. Then it was the Turnpike to the Delaware Memorial Bridge and 95 the whole way from there.)

If you're going to stop for a night, I suggest around Fayetteville NC. Since it's near a major Army base, the hotels aren't too bad on pricing, and the Chinese food at the place we hit for dinner was surprisingly on point (however that was 21 years ago, place may not even exist anymore).

There are not many patrols in any of the states, and tomorrow you should be totally clear to set at least 90 on the cruise control. Watch out for construction zones, of course...

trixiewutang t1_j1l79hc wrote

I took this trip in September. Start overnight and took 95 all the way

mjsisko t1_j1lvf02 wrote

United out of Newark. First class

Scottyboy1974 t1_j1lxumb wrote

Hope your having a great time. I’m so jealous

damageddude t1_j1lznvk wrote

95 all the way, but we also live about 15 miles from exit 8 of the NJT. Left 5am on a Sat and with a stay over in GA we were at Disney by late Sun morning. Helped to be past the Beltway by 9ish and we only stopped for bathroom breaks.

preppysurf t1_j1m8f4g wrote

Missing DC and Baltimore traffic is pretty easy. Very easy to pay for the EZ Pass Express lanes in Virginia. Well worth the small cost.

infomanus t1_j1pvc86 wrote

Rt 81 route is much cheaper

vakr001 t1_j1qq5io wrote

95 all the way. Did it twice the past two years

Illustrious_Drink127 t1_j1kpgdk wrote

95 all the way. If you're choosing to spend a night I would recommend the hotels at Florence SC. Very nice and clean.

benjimyboy t1_j1l5m58 wrote

Whatever route Google maps says. Will find faster routes around accidents and delays in real time. You can't beat it

fatandlean t1_j1ldpqw wrote

95 the whole way. It’s a pretty straight shot. Break it into a two day trip and it’s pretty easy.