Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

houtex727 t1_je67sv5 wrote

ADarwinAward t1_je6j700 wrote

That cop repeatedly called the black man boy while he beat him. Klan with a badge.

be_steve_it_or_not t1_je750iy wrote

Some of those that work forces…

asdaaaaaaaa t1_je7dy66 wrote

Some? Unless I see entire departments standing up to denounce the actions of other officers doing shit like this, it's firmly all in my opinion. If someone I know did something like this, I would make it as clear as possible I am not affiliated with or support them. Or you know, a large part of my industry in this case.

steakius197 t1_je9oxgi wrote

Exactly! I get into a lot of arguments with people when I say there is no such thing as a good cop because if there was police brutality would not be an issue, crooked cops wouldn’t exist. My father was NYPD for 12 years then Nassau County PD for 10 and I tell him he was never a good cop. I’m absolutely sure he saw some foul shit committed by his “brothers” and didn’t say anything on more than a few occasions

[deleted] t1_jeadzdi wrote

This is the correct answer. A uniform deserves the reputation of the worst person you let wear it.

Its_Nitsua t1_je824dj wrote

That’s a southern thing, not saying the dude isn’t racist but old heads call people ‘boy’ all the time I don’t think its an indication of their racial beliefs.

Also you don’t have to be white to exhibit the disrespect and inhumanity that many cops do, just a couple months ago we had 5 black cops literally jump another black man gang style to the point that he died.

−86

sodo9987 t1_je854r7 wrote

It’s strictly a southern thing when they’re referring to people of color. Infantilizing them

ADarwinAward t1_je8ce28 wrote

You cannot possibly be that ignorant to think that it’s ok to call a black man in the south “boy.” Are you serious?

My southern father taught me that saying that was racist by the age of 5 or 6. I refuse to believe anyone living in the south is this uninformed and naive.

Just plain old gaslighting.

[deleted] t1_je6dq3n wrote

[removed]

EnvironmentalValue18 t1_je8nwpk wrote

He was also bleeding from the head - the officer himself said it and you can clearly see it as well. TBI at the least, maybe even a spinal injury and yet they’re jostling him about. Attempted murder.

sdrakedrake t1_je9njqs wrote

I remember when Michael Brown was shot and so many defended the officer saying he resisted. Going by this video, resisting means absolutely nothing to these officers.

Nothing is stopping them for lying (police hits guy w/ car). Any idiot who still takes that officers sides just needs to eff off

TrexPushupBra t1_je9ossj wrote

I had a friend call the police to report a break in to his house.

They showed up, beat him, and tried to charge him with resisting arrest.

Yes he is Black

CAPSLOCKCHAMP t1_je70f3m wrote

Police union says there is a perfectly good reason they don’t see an issue with a video of cops beating the shit out of a guy lying down with his arms behind his head: they are elected by some seriously entitled people

Early-Sun4910 t1_je9xzb5 wrote

I’m from Cleveland… nothing is going to happen to those cops. Even if they are fired they’ll be replaced by someone who does the same thing. The police have their own rules here, they themselves are a gang.

CAPSLOCKCHAMP t1_jea3ua5 wrote

I lived in Oakland. When we first got here the cops were literally passing around an underage prostitute https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/24/us/oakland-police-scandals/index.html

Unfortunately we also have the opposite happening to good oversight. We have an unelected committee firing good chiefs because they won’t erase their parking tickets. It’s like the fucking Wire over here https://oaklandside.org/2022/05/18/ex-oakland-police-chiefs-trial-revisits-bitter-conflicts-among-city-officials/

DanielleMuscato t1_jedhd7h wrote

You say "here" as though that's not true in every police department, though.

docmedic t1_jeaqqvk wrote

Yup, my mom’s salonist always says she doesn’t see a problem worth addressing with police because of the thieves and riots.

Never mind that the cops would never respond to the salon in a timely manner should either happen.

Vegabern t1_je7g55l wrote

"Stop resisting". I'm sorry judge, the cops said the magic words, they must be found innocent. /s

Fuck all cops.

EnvironmentalValue18 t1_je8nt3d wrote

Holy shit… we all see police brutality but that was really awful to watch. Hitting people with a car and then tasing and jostling them about after an obvious head injury is very clearly attempted murder. I can’t even believe, with the prevalence of guns, more that act out like this don’t run into the wrong people at the wrong time.

These people should not only be thrown in jail, they should be stripped of the right to ever own a gun period. They’re not even human at that point and they’re a danger to the society they’re supposed to protect. Oh wait actually, SCOTUS ruled that they did not even have to protect so they just… serve? What are they serving? And why are there IQ ceilings (besides the bullshit retention excuse)? Why do we keep paying for their fucking assaults on our fellow citizens and human beings with our fucking tax dollars when they lose cases? We don’t bail out doctors who fuck up - they have malpractice insurance for that.

We’ve seen time and time again that they want the lowest dregs of society who just want to take out their aggression on others. These people don’t belong in society at all, they belong behind bars (at best…). Criminals with fucking badges and a license to kill is all these pathetic shit stains are.

houtex727 t1_je68exh wrote

Separate reply because don't want to taint that hopefully helpful video for y'all.

Yeah. I get their jobs are tough (Edit: see below), being as I have ridden along with my BIL police officer, and my brother's tales of his police work, but respect of suspects needs to be a thing, no matter how pissed off you are. What's worse is I can't know if this is taught to be this brutal and awful to others, or if they are just off the hinge and shouldn't have been police officers in the first place.

Edit: So the thing was more pointing to the fact that the tough jobs they do (and it is, do not think otherwise) causes stresses, and therefore anger, and therefore anger management issues, and therefore raging beatings and such ensue. Potentially, because it could be they are just assholes looking for a job that lets them be the true assholes they are. But anyway, the former was all I meant. That they were allowing rage to control them and that's wrong, obviously. Beyond that, shitting on my poor choice of words and assuming something else it pretty bad form, but that's reddit for you. Buncha Conan the Grammarians about, y'all need a new hobby. :p

SsurebreC t1_je692e2 wrote

> I get their jobs are tough

Let's say someone is working as a nurse or a care-giver and they beat up their patients. Not all of them but a certain amount. Say 5%. Should that person still be employed in that capacity? No. Should they be charged with abuse? Yes.

It's just that simple.

And the solution to this is also simple. Get mandatory malpractice insurance for the police like they have for those same nurses and surgeons. This insurance is what's used to pay out all the lawsuits that will be filed. A shitty police officer will have higher premiums and will ultimately be out of a job anywhere in the country rather than being protected now or moving to another department whlie keeping their job.

If police officers believe they're the military and it's them vs. civilians then they should then be required to follow the rules of engagements that actual soldiers do (and the related code of conduct) which is significantly harsher than what the police have now.

girlfreddyf t1_je6e8os wrote

Exactly. I can't understand those who back cops 100% no matter what they do.

deferens t1_je6zo77 wrote

Oh, I understand it alright. Those people who back cops 100% no matter what, got real, real quiet when a bunch of Black cops beat a guy to death.

Chance-Ad-9103 t1_je8hjsu wrote

Hierarchy is very important to a large subset of the population. It’s not what someone does, it’s who that person is that matters. These are police officers and that is enough to make there actions justified in the minds of maybe 40% of our country. Goes just the same for clergy, the wealthy, the military. This is how you can have a dyed in the wool small government conservative 100% pro police and military the two largest most active and shall we say hands on government organizations. It’s ridiculous.

Philo_T_Farnsworth t1_je6py0c wrote

It's interesting you use this example because I personally know someone who was convicted of a felony for assaulting a nursing home resident in their capacity as a caregiver. Evidently an old person got combative, things escalated, and it got physical. It was an open and shut case. That patient's senility cannot be seen as an excuse for what happened. A cop doing this should be subject to the very same justice.

SsurebreC t1_je6topo wrote

Exactly. I used my example because you can lose your cool trying to take care of someone. Caretaker fatigue is real and who suffers more than people whose entire jobs are doing that. But those people are still held to higher standards. Police officers should be held to even higher standards because they also have the power to end lives just because they lose their cool. So let's start with the same high standards to start and go from there.

DarthBluntSaber t1_je6l8fd wrote

Police forces seem to be trained more and more to view the communities they are supposed to PROTECT as if they the police are in some foreign land and they are their to keep the locals in line and like every citizen is a potential enemy.

SsurebreC t1_je6m8nt wrote

That's why I wrote the last half because actual soldiers have better rules of engagements against even terrorists than police officers have against their own fellow Americans.

Milfoy t1_je8qyx2 wrote

If you think police unions are dreadful, just wait until you try and get a payout from a police insurance company!

Insurance is such an American solution to this problem. How about

• better hiring and training.
  • mandatory bodycams subject to random checks as well as use as evidence.
  • National register of officers and their records
  • No ability to duck investigations by resigning and moving elsewhere.
  • Payouts come directly from the police budget.

SsurebreC t1_je9hq0j wrote

It's an American solution to the problem because it's pretty clear that America and Americans don't really give a damn about life or we'd have better laws and policies in place that actually protect it. We'd have a Federal law that requires paid paternity leave, we'd have better healthcare that takes care of mothers and children during birth in particular, we'd have tax incentives for child care, better and safer schools, plus we wouldn't be sending kids to wars. But we don't. Because we don't really care.

As a result, we turn to the only god we currently worship: money. It's a shitty solution but it's at least one that's plausible enough to work.

Ok-Hunt6574 t1_je6t5t5 wrote

It's taught. It's the culture and history of police. When the elites need to put down the peasants they use the police. When they needed workers for the fields, they used police, when they wanted to criminalize sexual behavior, they used the police, lynch minorities, police, see the pattern?

Icy_Comfort8161 t1_je7st5v wrote

I think it's more that narcissists self-select into the police force because they like the power and control they have over others' lives, and it makes them feel good about themselves.

AntoniusPoe t1_je8lkh9 wrote

I have every belief that this behavior is taught. Some, perhaps many, are drawn to this type of job for the power. But I have no doubt that the training drills in the "us vs them" and the "DO WHAT I SAY" mentality. The fact that they all believe that chanting "stop resisting" protects them like a shield while they beat and kick those who are down and subdued tells me that they are trained like this. Maybe I'm wrong. But I doubt it.

Albione2Click t1_je7y8lb wrote

Well, I guess I didn’t need to sleep tonight…. God damn it.

lod254 t1_jeacp3b wrote

How did this Footage not mysteriously go missing?

BMFunkster t1_jedccyw wrote

Wow. I was expecting one incident, not a goddamn compilation.

AudibleNod OP t1_je690kf wrote

FOP:

The Fraternal Order of Police / Ohio Labor Council, the largest law enforcement labor organization in the state, said in a statement Thursday the 11 officers “are entitled to due process like all citizens” and encouraged “everyone to reserve judgment until facts are known.”

Also FOP:

he defended the mob of largely white Trump supporters and white supremacists who stormed the U.S. Capitol, saying they are “entitled to voice their frustration.

++++

I guess the question is are citizens allowed to voice their frustration against the bad police officers are are we supposed to reserve judgement?

JcbAzPx t1_je6c5vi wrote

> he defended the mob of largely white Trump supporters and white supremacists who stormed the U.S. Capitol, saying they are “entitled to voice their frustration.

This is especially interesting considering part of that "voiced frustration" was beating a cop with a thin blue line flag pole.

DarthBluntSaber t1_je6mrac wrote

Thin blue line people like to ignore that. They don't mean back ALL cops, just the pro fascism ones that support overthrowing the government and people.

BurgerMcKinley t1_je9tf5n wrote

>are citizens allowed to voice their frustrations against police officers?

Lol no.

Some states are even making laws against it

Nothing is going to change until a citizen group does something massive.

MrDangerMan t1_je686vr wrote

Every fucking day. More dirty cops.

supercyberlurker t1_je6mrrn wrote

I'm just not sure which is more true:

• There's more bad cops now, because the system has become a factory for them.
  • We're more aware of police misbehavior now, because they are more recorded.

gwxtreize t1_je6uo82 wrote

Imagine, had a guy not been testing his new camcorder, the L.A. race riots may not have happened at that time and Rodney King's abusers would not have even been charged (I believe they were each acquitted but being charged was a baby step in the right direction).

crazybehind t1_je83vfz wrote

Different take: That shit must be going on enough that it happened to get caught, which also means there are many such beatings that go undiscovered.

TootsNYC t1_je8stwp wrote

Same take, I think. Or yours is an extension of theirs. True points, both.

jonathanrdt t1_je6q0hf wrote

It's the latter. People are not changed. The coverage of them has.

We finally see all of the best and worst and absurd that people do.

Joe-Schmeaux t1_je6wq9j wrote

I believe we are just witnessing more of what has been going on the entire time. It was likely much worse before, too: now they know there is at least some likelihood of there being video evidence of their crimes.

thephantom1492 t1_je8p2bl wrote

We are more aware AND things changed too. We do not tolerate the abuse anymore like we did 40 years ago.

Also, global news. Before interet, news was way more local. Most news were from the city, some from the state and few from the country. International news were almost non-existant. So only the big things came out. A bad officer was not a big thing.

Now, with internet, you know about everything all around the world, in a matter of seconds!

Now we start to see some patterns. One bad officer here, another there, yet another, oh and 5 here, 6 there and so on. Now it is not a single officer in your news area, but lots of international ones. Now it's a big things.

And, also, 9/11. News on TV got a longer segment. Pre-9/11 it was 30 minutes here. Now it's 1 hour. They now have time for the less big things that happened everywhere. In fact, they have no choice in some way than talk about it, they need to fill the time they have or else they just repeat themself! Remember, most of the year there is not even enough local material to fill 15 minutes of news. Now they have to do 60!

InflamedLiver t1_je6993e wrote

At least they’re taking action. I feel like a few decades ago this stuff just got brushed under the rug. I mean, it still does, but it’s still a good start.

AudibleNod OP t1_je6afd9 wrote

I'll agree.

This is forward motion. Like with the Memphis case. Once the precedent gets set, there's going to be an expectation from the public that the police rightfully and swiftly get punished for committing crimes. And once we get convictions and serious jail time, the police unions are going to gut check their membership. Sadly, this is a slow process. There's around 18,000 police departments in the US. Each with their own little fiefdom and unique relationship with the DA's office/state.

girlfreddyf t1_je6f0gx wrote

Unfortunately the forward motion should have started decades ago when Frank Serpico outed the NYPD in 1967 - 1970.

It is utter bullshit that this is still an ongoing issue.

[deleted] t1_je6kdoa wrote

[removed]

girlfreddyf t1_je6ld26 wrote

I used to live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan back in the 70's when cops started giving starlight tours on a regular basis. I knew a couple guys who survived those.

Cops have always been, and always will be, assholes who've been taught they can do no wrong.

janethefish t1_je6nmh2 wrote

Yup. The important thing is that the crooks are held accountable. It will take a long time to clean up police and even then we will still have crooked cops. The key is that the crooks are banished from the police force and prosecuted.

crazybehind t1_je84g0w wrote

All police calls should get automatic review of camera footage, BY SOMEONE OTHER THAN THE POLICE. Hell, let AI chew through the bulk of it to make a highlight reel for human review.

Someone needs to police the police because they are shit at doing it themselves... at least in this city.

Im_homer_simpson t1_je7ct24 wrote

Like when they beat the shit out of Rodney King in the 90's. That shit was filmed on vhs. The cops got off, and were promoted.

mayormcskeeze t1_je6pwtd wrote

I hope the local prosecutor is serious.

In many cases, they're not, and they complete support the police behind closed doors.

Xszit t1_je6cmjy wrote

> Eleven current and former East Cleveland Police Department officers indicted earlier this month participated in “appalling” behavior and face charges including assault, dereliction of duty and interfering with civil rights, authorities in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, said after they released video showing several incidents. Seven are facing charges for the first time, while four others were indicted on new charges, authorities announced.

> Ten of the 11 officers pleaded not guilty to the charges at an arraignment March 28, according to court records. The arraignment for the 11th officer, who resigned from the department, was rescheduled for April 4, according to the court docket. The new indictments raise the number of former or current East Cleveland police officers who have been indicted in the past seven months to 16, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley said in early March.

> “Make no mistake, there has been a cancer growing in the East Cleveland Police Department,” O’Malley said. “We are doing our best to remove every tentacle of that cancer so that this department can rebuild and grow to put itself in a position to hire officers who enforce the law as well as follow the law.” O’Malley showed several videos of the 11 officers participating in behavior he called “appalling.” CNN has reached out to the Cuyahoga County prosecutor’s office for the original footage of the alleged incidents in question.

> The 11 new indictments stem from incidents between February 2020 and July 2022, authorities said. “In the next couple of weeks, we will be issuing a release detailing the 11 incidents with additional videos,” O’Malley said.

> East Cleveland’s recently appointed chief of police, Brian Gerhard, said the indictments will not prevent the department from functioning and protecting citizens. “I have cooperated fully with the county prosecutor’s office and will continue to do so,” Gerhard stated in a news release. “As I stated when appointed chief last October, I will move the department in a positive direction, I have very good personnel on my staff that will assist me rebuilding the agency.” CNN has reached out to the 11 current and former officers for comment.

> The Fraternal Order of Police / Ohio Labor Council, the largest law enforcement labor organization in the state, said in a statement Thursday the 11 officers “are entitled to due process like all citizens” and encouraged “everyone to reserve judgment until facts are known.”

TJPII-2 t1_je879kd wrote

Never says what they did that was appalling.

EnvironmentalValue18 t1_je9g678 wrote

They’re entitled to a fair trial, but all those people they’re mangling and sometimes killing aren’t? I mean, there’s no trial if you kill the person, and mangling them beforehand is like handing out a sentencing on the way to the court house. What a joke.

If that’s the fair they mean, then I’m sure a lot of people at this point would love to give these officers a “fair trial”.

GamesSports t1_je68kj4 wrote

Cops being cops again. goddamnit.

WWA1232 t1_je7eut2 wrote

American Cops, what do you expect?

#FuckThePolice

Turantula_Fur_Coat t1_je7prql wrote

Every single one should get life in prison. They betray your trust. That’s what prison is for, we send individuals who are a danger to society to prison. These pieces of trash deserve a loooong prison sentence.

Matty_Poppinz t1_je6his2 wrote

I'm sure some more paid vacations and promotions will fix the problem this time....

Leftstranded t1_je7rrkf wrote

I live very close to East Cleveland and this is no surprise. There’s a reason why we are told to drive around the city and to not enter unless there is no other way.

GristleMcTough t1_je84h9b wrote

Der-hhr-hhr. I’m big and strong and I enjoy hurting other humans. Fist bump, bro. We are our own biggest fans.

knucklesandwich86 t1_je7w8o8 wrote

If you haven’t listened to Season 3 of the Serial podcast, where they spend a year in the Cleveland criminal justice system, you really should. From top to bottom it explains the historical bias and culture that plagues our system.

Sara Koenig (sp?) is a national treasure and her ability to explain the nuance and complexities of the criminal justice system in a way that is both easy to understand and relatable is quite frankly a work of pure art. In terms of practical knowledge, it was one of the most educational pieces I’ve ever listened to. I’d recommend everyone take a listen if you haven’t.

crazybehind t1_je83jot wrote

Yay! They're facing prosecution.

Boo! Their colleagues should have turned them in LONG ago. And THAT is the fucking problem.

I cannot believe that this is the first time they've been dealing out beat downs like this. Everyone in that video is WAY too comfortable with this situation. Mother fuckers need to be in jail along with anyone who didn't report on them.

chadman5050 t1_je7shj1 wrote

Absolutely fuck the police.

bttrflyr t1_je8pn9w wrote

Ironic that the police union is demanding just treatment and due process for their officers when their officers refused to do the same for others. They should be treated the way they treated others.

EnvironmentalValue18 t1_je9ggi3 wrote

I’d say these police officers are about due to be processed by the citizens it’s “protecting”.

SoChaGeo t1_je8r2ac wrote

Next investigate Euclid.

bedbuffaloes t1_je9o72t wrote

"The Fraternal Order of Police / Ohio Labor Council, the largest law enforcement labor organization in the state, said in a statement Thursday the 11 officers “are entitled to due process like all citizens” and encouraged “everyone to reserve judgment until facts are known.”

Oh, the irony.

NoPhilosopher6636 t1_je8i2fc wrote

It’s so ironic that if they were black officers. The whole lineup of there photos would be shown

EnvironmentalValue18 t1_je9gdhm wrote

At least one was, and I was shocked by that. My man clearly didn’t remember the lessons of repression he felt unjustly and has now become the abuser. Against fellow black men. I genuinely don’t get it.

hevnztrash t1_je9af2f wrote

Corrupt and racist cops being held accountable is the only way to gain the public’s trust.

chepe82 t1_je9cth3 wrote

This is what happens when the starting pay for east CLE police is ~$19/hr to patrol one of the most dangerous areas of the city. You obviously don’t get the best officers.

lifeofideas t1_je9mvud wrote

Police should be held to a higher standard than ordinary citizens, not a lower standard. Not a ridiculously lower standard.

lod254 t1_jea8yo3 wrote

Penalties should be much harsher for officers.

Fun_Client_6232 t1_jealh3k wrote

Until police departments make cops under go IQ test, plus both drug & psychological tests on a regular basis this will continue to happen. Obviously police cams don’t do a damn thing. And make them live where they “police”. Very few people will shit where they eat.

jaybleeze t1_je7qorp wrote

Idk. They always let me through courthouse security without any issues and use the bathrooms so they’re good in my book. /s

Azul951 t1_je93uy5 wrote

These must be the good apples.

Ar_Ciel t1_jeby3v0 wrote

When even the police union isn't saying anything in their defense, you know it's truly heinous.

PF4LFE t1_je7vdwz wrote

Just another day Piggin - look - these people are around dirtbags everyday - how do they not become dirtbags?

−2

crazybehind t1_je85l9k wrote

Don't fucking care to make any excuses for this. Their job is to enforce laws, not exactly the opposite of that.

Oversight. Internal affairs. Body cams. Peer integrity. Their own fucking morals. Department leadership. THAT'S how they're supposed to not become dirtbags.

[deleted] t1_jeanqhe wrote

[deleted]

PF4LFE t1_jeaobxv wrote

Oversight - hopefully not by a politician

Internal Affairs - Great theory

Body cams - off button

Leadership - those guys were probably cops for 20 yrs - tainted

Peer Integrity - negated by the brotherhood of a union

Morals - not sure of the direct relationship between law and morals but I’m sensing they are not related