Submitted by thecw t3_123n6ts in philadelphia

I went up to the Richmond Street flea market this weekend, which was great. Feels like Richmond Street is maybe positioning itself to be the next cool commercial corridor? All new light posts, trolleys coming back by EOY. A few vintage shops plus Reanimator and Lunar Inn are there, and there's a LOT of vacant commercial available.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chimpskibot t1_jdvanrq wrote

YES!! tchotchkes, Lunar Inn, Richmond St Flea, etc. The problem is Port Richmond is so disconnected from the rest of the city right now that it's tempering its growth. A lot of the younger millennials and Gen Z who are being priced out of fishtown because they rent are moving to Port Richmond.

Phillycheese4evr t1_jdvbdwz wrote

Technically fishtown is Port Richmond. They just renamed it 15 years ago so they could sell properties at higher value

−55

mortgagepants t1_jdvbt6c wrote

yeah for sure. the trolley's will make a huge difference for connectivity. the loop is there in front of Byrne's tavern- i would guess it would be a 10-15 minute ride down to frankford and girard. that will be a game changer for that neighborhood.

Away_Swimming_5757 t1_jdvbzsf wrote

Plus the under-the-95 trails have been completed which leads right to the Richmond St hipster zone, in addition to the trolley tracks and the larger Delaware Ave revitalization.

irenameyourpet t1_jdvc6dk wrote

I've noticed more DIY shows up that way. More shows at places like the Tin Can and Bonk's bar make it seem like a movement of sorts is happening.

Allemaengel t1_jdvc754 wrote

TIL.

Feeling dumb for not knowing that. Thought Fishtown has always been distinct.

Edit: JFC, people. I don't know that neighborhood well but like to learn. So it has developed separately under its own name. That's cool.

So spare me the downvotes and just correct the record, will ya?

−14

John_EightThirtyTwo t1_jdvcn0o wrote

That phenomenon does happen -- for example, "the Art Museum area" was a euphemism for "Fairmount" before Fairmount was gentrified -- but Port Richmond and Fishtown are distinct neighborhoods. I remember people saying they were from each of those places back in the '70s.

source: am old

IPA_lot_ t1_jdvf2k8 wrote

Lunar Inn sucks but Richmond Street will be popping hopefully with new bars and places to eat.

Edit - ok it doesn’t suck I just wasn’t a fan of their menu the two times I went. The inside is nice.

−6

ADFC t1_jdvgd7g wrote

But he's wrong though; Fishtown and Port Richmond have been distinctly separated by the traintracks down Lehigh Ave. since the 1870s. If he's referring to the weird triangle of "Olde Richmond", that was part of Port Richmond until they drove i95 through the neighborhood.

sheds_and_shelters t1_jdvgwvb wrote

Yup. This exactly.

I'll add to your list and throw out Launderette Records, Corpse Flower Tattoo... and then nearby Nemi and La Roma... as places that fit into this niche and deserve a shoutout.

edit: Also shoutout to A Frame Constructs who, I think, have helped to design and develop both many of these business (Lunar, Launderette) as well as some of the new residential building(s?) on Richmond that look super nice. Their office is on Richmond.

skemojoe t1_jdvidhk wrote

I moved to Port Richmond ~6 years ago. Since then, Lunar, Nemi, Reanimator and some of the other places people have mentioned have all opened up. I was at the Flea this past weekend too, and the energy was great, and I really do feel like Port Richmond will only get better and better. I'm not sure if it'll ever be as hip as Fishtown, but once the trolley's are back I think development will take off even more.

There is so much potential here and with the proximity to Fishtown, lots of commercial space available and ready for redevelopment, and affordable housing. I'm psyched to see what happens in the next 5 years.

skemojoe t1_jdvj235 wrote

Now that the busses are traveling on the trolley route, you can get to Frankford/Girard from Richmond/Westmoreland in 10 minutes. It almost feels like an express bus too with more space between stops on Richmond.

A_Peke_Named_Goat t1_jdvk2ap wrote

I see PR as being an area that continues to improve, but I think it will still lag behind other Fishtown/NoLibs adjacent areas. There is still a lot of area along the El in east/west kensington/norris square area before you hit the train tracks north of Lehigh to be "developed". There is still a lot of room for commercial/residential development in the olde Richmond area. There is still a lot of room for NoLibs development to move west and south.

I'd expect all of those areas to outpace PR proper, but PR is a cool place so I hope it does well. And I look forward to a day when the combined development/interest in the lower Kensington neighborhoods and PR push into the somerset/mcphereson square/K&A area. that's probably the only way that area gets cleaned up since the city government is content to let it be hamsterdam.

Chimpskibot t1_jdvm5lk wrote

Surprisingly, development is starting to creep up and past Lehigh. I agree once the viaduct falls as a no go zone for yuppies/artists/creatives most of Upper Kensington and the Lower NE will be developed its so obvious. A lot of the Fentanyl problem will pushed to Frankford as property values rise along the El.

hockeystuff77 t1_jdvn9ye wrote

I was between port Richmond and west passyunk when I was looking to buy, and, while I love it down here, I’m kind of regretting not putting in a more serious effort in my PR search, as there’s a lot going on up there that I’m sad to be missing out on.

Plus you don’t have Kenyatta up there.

Minute_Chipmunk250 t1_jdvo12r wrote

I wanna be hopeful about PR, but it feels like a lot to ask. Lived there a long time. Some cool stuff opened, but on the flip side the QOL issues seem to have gotten a lot worse since the pandemic and the opiod crisis took off. The farther east you are the better, but anything near Aramingo got kinda tough in the last few years. I’m crossing my fingers for the place even though I’m gone.

ADFC t1_jdvoevl wrote

Port Richmond will definitely be one of the "next dominos to fall" and I'm excited to see less and less vacant storefronts on Richmond, but I also think there are some limiting factors to deter its growth from ever reaching Fishtown's level.

1.) Majority of the buildings are 2 story rowhomes vs. 3 story + scattered warehouses; limits your renovation potential, such as adding a home office/study in addition to a nursery or adding lofts for example. 2.) Lack of access to the El. The Trolley will help but that'll still take 10-15 minutes to reach the Girard stop. 3.) More generational old-timers than Fishtown who have stronger opinions on "change" in their neighborhood (to say the least)

A_Peke_Named_Goat t1_jdvoo5h wrote

Thats good to hear, and at least some of this is my own perception that may not be shared by others.

But Lehigh itself is so pedestrian hostile that I find it hard to believe anyone is buying those new home on the far side up against the viaduct just east of Frankford. Yet it's happening, and I find the viaduct underpasses to be very pedestrian hostile, too. But I don't doubt there is development happening on the other side, too. I guess it's just a matter of how much relative to other adjacent areas.

internet_friends t1_jdvr07d wrote

3 is a huge factor. I have lived in both Port Richmond and Fishtown. The MAGA, Trumpy vibe from Port Richmond is not incredibly pleasant to be around. That and the lack of good public transit are the major factors in me leaving PR. Businesses like the Lunar Inn are amazing, but some of the local community hates them for dumb shit like flying a pride flag outside. Other businesses have great food/drinks but the cop-bar vibe is overwhelming (I'm looking at you, Gaul & Co). This is going to be a major deterrent until the area is gentrified more. The big appeal to Fishtown is access to public transport + good bars/restaurants + ~hipster vibes~ and right now Port Richmond is 0/3 on that front. The neighborhood certainly has potential and I agree it'll be one of the next that devs go after, but it certainly isn't going to be the next Fishtown for a long time, if ever.

molemanthecat t1_jdvr74i wrote

Richmond St is coming back to life. I just hope the neighborhood holds on to its Polish heritage and that the businesses stay put. The flea is always a great time. Highly recommend it

sheds_and_shelters t1_jdvsozq wrote

Eh, it's pretty standard bar food with some rotating specials and vegan options. Not sure when you were last there, but I do think they've had turnover in terms of the chef in the past like... 18 months or so. I'm more a fan of their great happy hour / drinks than I am their food (although their pretzel was killer, RIP).

dentduv t1_jdvu5cc wrote

Agreed, I’m sure the trump flags and republican headquarters on Lehigh/Thompson scare away some much needed young couples and families. It’s mostly been fine, just get stared at quite a bit. It is slowly getting more diverse thankfully.

ADFC t1_jdvyaf3 wrote

100% to everything you said. It’ll never be a “Fishtown” (and that’s perfectly fine too btw), it’s too much a family oriented community with “deep roots” that aren’t going anywhere, given how affordable the area is.

Another thing is the lack of potential for adaptive reuse in the neighborhood. There’s very few warehouses mixed into the neighborhoods since all the industrial areas were on the river stemming from the train viaduct. You have to follow the viaduct north of Aramingo/the black bridge for the larger developmental opportunities, but at that point you’re a little too close to K&S/K&A for any true revitalization/reuse to occur at the present moment. Interesting to see how it unfolds in a decade or so…

internet_friends t1_jdvzlcy wrote

A great point on the adaptive reuse.

Another thing I noticed is that the K&A spillover is much more prevalent in Port Richmond than in Fishtown or even East Kensington (which, by the way, IS the next "domino to fall" not Port Richmond). I lived pretty far away from the side of Port Richmond that borders Kensington and still thought it was bad. Nothing like a couple of dudes pushing around shopping carts full of scrap metal that says, "This neighborhood is a great place to buy a house!"

ADFC t1_jdw09g6 wrote

Fishtown/East Kensington has been an area that pretty much blended into one tbf, but Fishtown and Richmond have always been distinct from one another, even by ethnicity. Back in the day, Fishtown was mostly an Irish enclave while Port Richmond is the cultural center of Philly’s Polish activity. Still mostly holds true to this day.

ADFC t1_jdw1w1b wrote

I’d say the domino is falling down in East Kensington as we speak!

That is 100% true, the Sunoco/Wawa on Allegheny is insane. I wonder why the spillover is worse given East Kensington and Port Richmond have the same CP (Squilla).

sheds_and_shelters t1_jdw2otr wrote

The local Proud Boys leader lived on Almond when the FBI came to take him away, I believe. Some of the things I’ve heard said over my fence are absolutely heinous. It’s less an “undercurrent” than it is something many in the neighborhood actively cultivate.

You mentioned the pro-cop businesses, and it’s hardly limited to Gaul. Look no further than Debbie’s, where I regularly see cop cars parked in the middle of the street with perfectly good spots to be had mere feet away to pick up their donuts or whatever mid-shift. Predictably gross. The same goes for plenty of other mainstays.

That being said, it is becoming more diverse and progressive and I love that places like the ones mentioned on Richmond are facilitating that transition (even if I don’t have any hopes that it’ll ever get rid of those vibes entirely).

Gobirds831 t1_jdw4cok wrote

I would say yes and no. Fishtown was already on the trajectory of taking off with Frankford hall, Johnny Brenda's and other establishments. It will be interesting once the construction takes off North of like palmer park on Frankford. Even further north of PBC it is becoming a nice little business corridor to Lehigh.

Gobirds831 t1_jdw551b wrote

i think PR is one of the riverwards where people grew up there and come back there to. I feel Fishtown is an area where people grew up, got a college education and left for the burbs like much of the NE. A lot of the neighborhood people around me are an older generation or blue collar.

LeetPokemon t1_jdw8h9h wrote

I’m just stoked for when pizza Richmond(pizza shackamaxons sister store) opens up.

vexedsinik t1_jdwgowr wrote

Yeah, thankfully, the block I'm on we all keep and eye out. We've caught people snooping mail boxes, stealing packages, and trying to wander into yards. All sorts of dumb shit. The homeless, the ones with addiction and untreated mental health problems, are making the area somewhat hellish. I used to walk around here as a kid without issue, now there are baggies and needles everywhere. Not to mention the "boom" parties, roving packs of bikes and other shit. It has gotten pretty fucked up.

Its kind of a "look nice" area now with a shitty under current. The ave has definitely been spilling over.

PhiladelphiaWilde t1_jdwpvsm wrote

I'ma say American Street by Norris Square is going to be a sooner hipster strip.

A_Peke_Named_Goat t1_jdwqhx7 wrote

I agree, but also if you find an old-school enough fishtowner and they will claim the neighborhood ends at Norris while realtors are probably calling areas across the viaduct Fishtown. And in my own internal map of Philly, Fishtown doesn't actually go all the way to Front St. even though thats covered by the FNA ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jawny_Appleseed t1_jdwwclw wrote

Scrap yards and and vacant lots just off of Richmond Street make the area more appealing to the homeless element. It’s an easy 15 minute walk to K&A for your supplies and a safer place to crash without sleeping in an abandoned house off of Kensington Ave.

Gobirds831 t1_jdwwizu wrote

I live on Gordon just a quarter block south of York, but how in gods name would you cut it at Norris. York is such a large street and goes up to the circle at Frankford and is more a definitive separation of the neighborhood. Back in the day it was just easier to know your neighborhood by Parish.

Prestonelliot t1_jdwzb62 wrote

Bought my first house in PR, loved it for years. It’s biggest problem was definitely how it wasn’t tethered to the city that easily. But as it’s own thing I felt we had everything we needed, but once the trolleys came back up I knew that part of the city was ready to explode

215mommy t1_jdx1fhm wrote

Port Richmond has always been a desirable area for families. The homes, parks, library, etc are generally well maintained and safe. It makes sense that it’s “next up”

irishgambin0 t1_jdxf7he wrote

i used to go to Bonk's all the time and know the owners and bartenders there well. in fact the only two places i'd go to during the pandemic were Happy Tap and Bonk's.

i always rode my bike there, and if there weren't a lot of people inside they'd let me bring my bike into the bar instead of locking it to the bench outside. solid bar with a good mix of good people, in my opinion.

MCKelly13 t1_jdxgrur wrote

Please Philly! Less hipsters! Thank you

−1

Bartleby_TheScrivene t1_jdxmzal wrote

Port Richmond is an affordable area, and its really close to several big box stores that will be affordable for families. I'd like to see the area serve as a vanguard/bulwark pushing against Kensington.

It's been a pretty stable area forever.

People will say gentrification, but honestly the alternative is far worse.

Rheum42 t1_jdxo3xa wrote

I ain't moving there, but it would explain all the efforts to "clean up the area"

−3

filladellfea t1_jdy4znw wrote

a frame is absolutely the driving force behind richmond street right now. they are snapping up whatever property they can - revitalizing // redeveloping it and making sure that cool tenants are getting put it. they're doing a great job.

sheds_and_shelters t1_jdy5g79 wrote

Cool, thanks for confirming. They did an incredible job on Lunar and that new high rise across the street on Richmond looks great as well. I know a bunch of businesses have spoken highly of them, and I love that they have an office right there on Richmond — becoming even more personally invested in the immediate area.

filladellfea t1_jdy5u3i wrote

I feel like a lot of people on this sub really don't know what fishtown was like before 2010 - it absolutely had the same vibe as port richmond in the 2000s (even into the early 2010s). every bar was a locals-only corner bar and if you weren't from fishtown originally, you got looked at like you had a third eye. it was a working class neighborhood for generations.

that said, port richmond not having easy access to the el is an issue. the trolley will help though.

filladellfea t1_jdy774p wrote

norris square is absolutely going to change, but i don't see it becoming a hipster strip. the redevelopment over that way is too big money.

port richmond has way more of an organic thing going on. it's the same shit that made fishtown pop off 15 years ago. follow the music (launderette // lunar), booze (lunar, tin can bar, donna's, corner bar, bonks), and food (pizza richmond, lunar, nemi), art (tshakeshke, corpse flower, tattoo collective).

my prediction is bare elegance (strip club at richmond and allegheny) gets flipped into a dolphin-type place and that's what makes the neighborhood completely tip.

filladellfea t1_jdy7hgu wrote

yeah those dudes are great. i've gone to a couple local zoning meetings where they have given their proposals for different projects - they always listen to the feedback, even from the old-heads who hate the new projects.

i'm waiting for them to buy the strip club, bare elegance (at richmond and allegheny), and flip it into a dolphin-type club.

whatisevenleft t1_jdyd20o wrote

The hipsters are already gone from Fishtown. They can’t afford it anymore. Now it is people who have always been here and just held onto their property, wealthy retirees from the suburbs, high income young couples who leave when their kids reach school age and people whose parents pay their rent. Hipsters are living in neighborhoods you haven’t heard of yet.

CT_Real t1_jdyt0rg wrote

I was there too and was really impressed with that little 3 or 4 block area.

The 15 had a detour and made me walk from Aramingo down and while nicer than I honestly expected, I got the vibe that if I looked different than the white guy I am, it might not be the best place to be walking alone.

Mysterious_Studio397 t1_jdziw1r wrote

Harrow is next and its already happening. They've aready turned a bunch of old brick industry buildings into apartments and commercial rentals for small businesses and theyre renovating more. Harrowgate also has the el. Tioga station will be the new hispter epicenter.

If you dont believe me, take a trip to Caphe Roasters and get some gourmet coffee, real asian fusion bites and a floor full of hipsters.

A_Peke_Named_Goat t1_jdzor9n wrote

Ha, well I guess we are talking about 15-20 years ago. Its hard to fault people for being young.

And I don't want to make it sound like it was terrible in the late aughts, either, there wasn't a ton to do compared to today but it was still a very nice place to live with el access, and it never took more than a conversation for people to warm up to you. As long as you weren't condescending you'd be fine. (Ok, I mean, it did help that I am white but I wouldn't call Fishtown unique in that way)

A_Peke_Named_Goat t1_jdzpgwb wrote

I don't what their official name is, but sandwiched in between Lehigh and the viaduct, starting close to Frankford and running to about Trenton. I assume we are talking about the same place.

And there is no accounting for taste, but you couldn't pay me to live on a 7-lane stroad, especially one that the city just had a chance to calm and choose violence instead. And even worse, that stroad cuts you off from literally every amenity within walking distance and you have to walk a bunch of blocks to get to a signaled intersection to avoid jaywalking, with one of those intersections being the absolutely maniacal frankford/coral/lehigh intersection? like I said, you couldn't pay me, because at that point you might as well just live in the suburbs somewhere. I feel the same way about that big new development on the river behind the thriftway shopping center.

internet_friends t1_jdzsksr wrote

Memphis and Hazzard is East Kensington and is still being gentrified. It's pretty close to Lehigh so I'm not shocked you felt that way back in 2007, it still isn't that nice now. Most of what's been gentrified in East Kensington is above Frankford closer to Fishtown.

estelle2839 t1_jdzw3rv wrote

Yeah I’m closer to Aramingo (because I thought I would be commuting to work via the el - clearly didn’t have COVID on my bingo card), and man I should’ve bought closer to Richmond St. Oh well! Just wish they weren’t ruining the 25 and 89 buses with the new draft network.

Chimpskibot t1_je03idw wrote

Not yet, it will happen though. Right now I can only think of Caphe roasters, The Makers space across the street and Bulk Vintage in that neighborhood. East Kensington still isn’t completely built out. Once more lots there like automotive repair biz off Frankford start falling development will be pushed up to Huntington and Tioga. Even York-Dauphin isn’t completely built up yet!

Bartleby_TheScrivene t1_je075ah wrote

It's not K&A that I'm only worried about. No. Not just that. I'm thinking about what happens to the people who own homes in the area if something like that comes to Port Richmond. Every single family that owns a home there will be basically trapped. They will be unable to sell their home and move because their homes will be worthless. Their QOL will vanish. They'll be subject to crime and the city won't care.

hextermination t1_je0cw04 wrote

There are angel investors propping up businesses on Richmond. So, in short, yes.

baldude69 t1_je0n362 wrote

Definitely still hipsters living in Fishtown. Not the punky hipster paradise it once was, but there are still plenty of young creatives there. Still possible to find affordable rentals, although they are not as widespread as they once were.

baldude69 t1_je0nboj wrote

Honestly, it's under 10 during non-peak hours. The bus can really fly down Delaware and then if it doesn't stop many times going down Girard its taken me as little as 7/8 minutes to get from Westmoreland to Frankford before

baldude69 t1_je0o5di wrote

Agree on the cop bar tip. I want to enjoy so many of the local bars like Gaul & Co, Bonks, Byrnes, Debbies have so much potential, but there's just something just "off" about them

As far as El access, I'm not sure I agree there. Granted I live close to the Westmoreland terminal, but it typically takes me 10 mins to get from there to Frank and Girard, making access to CC really painless, other than when the El breaks down, which is pretty frequently. Also, easy access to 95 is pretty awesome

−1

baldude69 t1_je0p3ry wrote

Just wish they would figure out a way to connect it to Richmond St and beyond in a way that makes sense. As it is now, it just sort of ends leaving you to ride on the sidewalk or take your chances on that weird part of Delaware. As a super experienced city cyclist, I've gotten it mostly figured out, but for the less experienced it would be daunting

baldude69 t1_je0q2ml wrote

Bonks is pretty decent, and as my closest bar, I go relatively frequently. Decently priced and the food is actually pretty good for pub fare, offers a good spread of seafood like many of the neighborhood bars. Also like so many bars in the neighborhood, the vibe can be a little "off" sometimes depending on the night, the crowd, and crew working. Sometimes the music sucks and is way too loud, but overall it's a chill bar with good service and decent food

baldude69 t1_je0r89r wrote

I bought a house here recently, and I've been very happy with the direction of the neighborhood. East of Aramingo it's quiet but also very much alive, VERY clean for Philly, great access to 95, and good access to Fishtown via the Rt 15 bus/trolley or by bicycle. The easy access to the box stores and all the fast food on Aramingo is a nice bonus, and despite Aramingo being a madhouse, everywhere east of it feels calm and neighborhoody. Seems like it's only getting better and better with more businesses moving in and the existing generational businesses seeming to thrive.

Only major downside is the MAGA/racist vibes you get from many of the longtime residents. Overall, that's pretty limited though, and I'm sure will change as the neighborhood continues to evolve. Also the proximity to the refinery and other polluting industry isn't awesome, but it also makes the neighborhood feel much more "alive" and I'm sure is what's responsible for it being intact and mostly free of blight, unlike so many of the surrounding neighborhoods.