Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

princessofbeasts t1_jaaxbsb wrote

Ah yes, winter is here just in time for spring.

Marino4K t1_jaby4bp wrote

As long as we get one good snow, spring can come whenever.

princessofbeasts t1_jaccy9c wrote

Pretty bummed we haven’t gotten snow, but there’s hope yet!

FattieBanton t1_jaawjyd wrote

Goddamn I hate this shit

PuffinDaisy t1_jab7uts wrote

Hate what? It's still winter. As far as I'm concerned, we haven't had proper winter yet and you Hobbits are asking about second spring already.

Rs90 t1_jabacrz wrote

Tends to fuck up plants and wildlife

PuffinDaisy t1_jabav0a wrote

I get that, but to be fair, collectively we're the ones fucking them both.

Drict t1_jacbrpv wrote

You hate global climate change? Good, so does everyone else.

FattieBanton t1_jacif5p wrote

Nope, definitely not that.

Drict t1_jacn99b wrote

100%. It is another symptom of global climate change.

>Rising global average temperature is associated with widespread changes in weather patterns. Scientific studies indicate that extreme weather events such as heat waves and large storms are likely to become more frequent or more intense with human-induced climate change.Aug 1, 2022

Source

FattieBanton t1_jacof8v wrote

Oh I know it is, I’m just saying that’s not what I hate.

10000Didgeridoos t1_jaaw0f0 wrote

Yeah weather pattern is going to flip to colder than normal and stormier than normal by about March 10-15. Just in time for a cold spring.

Fizzster t1_jabwmyt wrote

I saw some trees budding. They're going to be real confused in a couple weeks.

Praying_Lotus t1_jacapyg wrote

I have two trees outside my apartment. One tree who has budded, and one who has not. I like to think the tree that budded is some hotshot rookie who thinks he can weather the second winter with his petals and shit still on, whereas the second is a grizzled veteran who knows what’s coming and is shaking his head that the kid is gonna fuck himself up for the long run

itsmeyourgrandfather t1_jacfkxv wrote

Dude in my neighborhood I'm seeing trees with straight up actual green leaves, it's crazy

McFlare92 t1_jactp6z wrote

Same around my place, and on my commute to work

bkemp1984Part2 t1_jacnm4f wrote

For some fruit trees it can be bad. My berry bushes and coming earlier than normal, but they're cold hardy enough that they should be fine. Trees though that are mostly cold hardy but not usually budding now can be completely killed, or at least killed back to the ground to have to regrow up from the roots. If it's flowering early, there's a decent risk of losing all the buds and getting no fruit this year. People might need to cover trees they don't usually need to.

Charlesinrichmond t1_jad8c7l wrote

this is a great point, I foresee quickie cold frames around a lot of stuff. Time to make sure I'm stocked on plastic

RadiantShirt2236 t1_jacgiae wrote

the tree in front of my apartment window started budding a couple of weeks ago, it’s sprouting leaves already

uid_0 t1_jacfavf wrote

Let's not forget that Virginia actually has 12 seaons:

Winter

Fool's Spring <-- You are here

Second Winter

Spring of Deception

Third Winter

The Pollening

Actual Spring

Summer

Hell's Front Porch

False Fall

Second Summer

Actual Fall

popsrcr t1_jackc68 wrote

Not sure why the downvote, its true lol. Don't forget that this year is leapSpring. Spring will last 4 hours.

magburner30 t1_jaf3g2g wrote

Great seasonal calendar. I think The Pollening has its hooks in several of the others though.

Henhouse808 t1_jabaxmp wrote

More temperature extremes and fluctuations are part of the lovely experience called climate change.

ohgodhowdothis t1_jab7q8i wrote

Guess we gotta be punished for how nice last Thursday was :/ whatever

Asa-Ryder t1_jabmt96 wrote

Of course. My Indian Super Chief will be coming in then.

Colt1911-45 t1_jac7fas wrote

What color?

Asa-Ryder t1_jacej9h wrote

Metallic Black

Colt1911-45 t1_jacu82d wrote

Nice! I'm jelly. Any power mods or staying stock? I demoed a white one with like a stage 2 performance package and I fell in love with Indians. I have a 07 road king. Big difference hahaha

Asa-Ryder t1_jacudqm wrote

Only thing I added was the detachable sissy bar package for the wife. I’m anticipating her not wanting to ride after the first long ride.

Colt1911-45 t1_jad0ykp wrote

Nice. Have fun and ride safe, man. I hope your wife enjoys it too. I really like having Sena comms when I am with other people. Makes riding with others more fun. They are a good investment

Asa-Ryder t1_jad14gx wrote

I’ll look that up. She was talking about being able to talk to me the other day. Thanks!

jeb_hoge t1_jacmoj9 wrote

Since we moved here in 2006, we've had two good accumulating snowfalls in early/mid-March, as Google Photos loves to remind me of every year.

just_looking_aroun t1_jab8956 wrote

Damn, guess I gotta move my citruses away from the windows

vonarchimboldi t1_jabv38g wrote

my birthdays the first week of march and i get snow here all the time on it i feel like

da_boatmane t1_jado81w wrote

Could help kill off tick population that has started to come out.

3nips69 t1_jaazgat wrote

great for my natural gas stonks, terrible for spring kickball

PhoenixAshies t1_jac6pec wrote

Okay, so I'll be bringing in the strawberry plants for a bit then!

GBDM78 t1_jacakye wrote

For planting, I feel like mid April is safe to put in the ground.

ifweweresharks t1_jaci4go wrote

This area I’ve always heard nothing before mothers’ day

manyamile t1_jactayl wrote

Depends on what you’re planting.

Cucumbers and peppers, for sure. My onions, brassicas, and lettuce are already out though and they’ll be fine.

thornykins t1_jacuokm wrote

Ugh I've got everything scheduled to go in the first weekend in April, guess I'm going to have a house full of plants waiting to go in the ground for a few weeks

freetimerva t1_jac5xwd wrote

This warm few weeks we've been having... followed by a hard freeze is going to really fuck up the insects... thus the birds etc. Not good.

manyamile t1_jact4zv wrote

Yet another reason to plant natives and encourage healthy insect populations in our yards.

maddmoxxiie t1_jacjbwr wrote

This is really going to hurt harvests..

peachtartx t1_jad4aqi wrote

I’m moving the week of the 13th. I will cry if the ground is covered in snow while I’m hauling boxes.

argmax t1_jabedrn wrote

LOL MN

1yellowstoneguy t1_jab5tbm wrote

Let’s just make Winter Spring and Spring Winter….f it all…

−2

Myanxiety_hasplants t1_jac3ug0 wrote

Spring isn’t officially until March 20th…and a freeze prior to the first week of April isn’t that uncommon. Articles like this make me roll my eyes.

−6

Asterion7 t1_jac6s06 wrote

Problem is. It has been so warm lots of plants and trees have already budded. Going to be really bad for them.

Myanxiety_hasplants t1_jacmnyv wrote

Oh absolutely going to be bad for them. Been exactly my thoughts seeing everything open up. Poor guys. It’s how the climate works when the polar vortex becomes irregular. Hot and cold bounce across the earth like a rubber band. I just moved up to Virginia from east Georgia, and the climate isn’t too different. These swings have been occurring consecutively for the last 3 years. I anticipate a second week April frost. But that’s just me.

I garden a lot. I have no professional knowledge besides the nagging urge to learn lol. Edit:a word

pocketdare t1_jaaz1bp wrote

As a Northerner we refer to a "hard freeze" as "winter". lol. I find this whole thread surreal.

(edit - only 89 downvotes so far. I'm underwhelmed. You can do better)

−105

chasetwisters t1_jab0d3p wrote

A Hard Freeze in this context is related to plant growth and potential negative impacts to the growing season. It has nothing to do with peoples tolerance for cold weather.

pocketdare t1_jab0w2i wrote

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for explaining. I'll leave the original up to give more people an opportunity to get their daily down vote in.

augie_wartooth t1_jab1ir0 wrote

Congratulations on being from somewhere colder than here I guess