Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

nyuhokie t1_j2aw8wb wrote

>Her son said one of the police officers raised her voice at him, and he started to walk away from her.

>"He knows to try to self-regulate and walk away from a situation, she may have thought he was being defiant," Jackson said.

Kid knows how to de-escalate, officer does not. More at 11.

fusion260 t1_j2bh22z wrote

But he was running away and they had no choice but to intervene… /s

fusion260 t1_j2alwv3 wrote

JFC.

It's amazing that in the past few years alone of countless documented examples of police encounters going so terribly wrong—especially with neurodivergent individuals who react differently—that incredibly preventable injuries (and/or deaths) continue to occur because an officer gets involved.

It's almost as if law enforcement refuses to learn basic lessons on what not to do.

cavedildo t1_j2asyv3 wrote

It's not like they can't learn what not to do, they just do what they like doing.

memorex00 t1_j2buxfv wrote

The problem is the philosophy they learn when working in LE. They are trained to neutralize any possible threats. That’s it. It will never change and this is the reason I do not trust cops at all.

They’re not there to serve and protect.

Squabbles1234 t1_j2atk2w wrote

Yeah, don't do stuff like this, Police are not friends, ever.

suz_gee t1_j2boryt wrote

Thissss. Your child should be afraid of the police. 🤷‍♀️

archetype1 t1_j2ado23 wrote

My partner is autistic. They have a hard time dealing with certain stressful situations. Recently, a man followed them in their car and forced them to pull over, claiming my partner had hit their car (they hadn't).

The man made threats, the police were called, and my partner was starting to have a panic attack. The police treated my partner like a nuisance, told them to be more aware of their surroundings, and that they were lucky a ticket wasn't written, like they were the problem, and not the man who was trying to claim his undamaged car had been hit.

We worked it out later with the insurance company, who denied the guy's claim and told us not to worry.

Police often can't handle interactions with neurotypical individuals, good luck if you aren't.

Dairy_Seinfeld t1_j2avy0u wrote

So you were “let go” but still had to yuk it up with momo and insurance? Fuckin hell. Hope y’all are much more relaxed now, that sounds terrible.

PataMadre t1_j2b597r wrote

Say it with me fam... ACAB

blueskieslemontrees t1_j2b8tms wrote

Can you spell it out. Not everyone is up to speed. Will help if you edit

−31

I_AM_RVA t1_j2birru wrote

All cops are bastards.

1yellowstoneguy t1_j2c6naj wrote

Absolutism is the enemy of truth. Words like these turn good cops bad. This isn’t to say your words have no truth but they’ll make more enemies than friends.

−52

chairmanbrando t1_j2cdctd wrote

The truth is flies like vinegar more than honey.

There are, and can be, no good cops when the bad cops are allowed to get away with everything that they do. Rotten apples spoil the bunch and so on. Cops are so rarely punished for their wrongdoings that it's straight stupid for the public to trust them anymore.

It's a profession that's most attractive to bullies and the bullied, and SCOTUS has already said the role of police is to protect property rather than people. People should be afraid of this militarized and unionized police state we're in. The actual military is not allowed to unionize for a reason, and it's to stop the endless madness we see out of our unionized police. Go watch Serpico if you haven't already.

Do not ever talk to a cop. Do not ever interact with a cop unless absolutely necessary. Simple as that. You can't have faith that you've found yourself a good one when so many of them are bastards. Assuming ACAB is a public safety measure.

Veratha t1_j2c7mws wrote

Call me when there are good cops on the force and then I'll go anti-absolutism with ya, until then you already know the acronym

Cactus_Humper t1_j2cb9w5 wrote

Ok what’s your phone number? Because there’s plenty of decent people on the force.

−34

OrtizDupri t1_j2ckdb5 wrote

Where?

Cactus_Humper t1_j2drcsw wrote

All the cops that don’t make the news because they aren’t terrible?

−10

BobaFettzroth t1_j2fx99v wrote

"If I didn't see it on the news, it didn't happen."

Do you even realize how brain-dead you sound?

JoeSabo t1_j2dg9cx wrote

Breaking: Man makes major assumption, offers no evidence

Cactus_Humper t1_j2drlnl wrote

You mean… exactly what all of you are doing? Aka making the (even more) major assumption that ACAB? Lmao

−4

ludba2002 OP t1_j2ca0tq wrote

Reddit posts don't turn good cops into bad cops. Unchecked power does.

I_AM_RVA t1_j2cdnp1 wrote

If these words can turn a cop into an “enemy,” then he was a fucking enemy to begin with.

oldguy_on_the_wire t1_j2dd0bf wrote

Oh, go on with your logic here! We have flaming pitchforks and we're gonna use them dammit!!!!! /s

I, too, avoid absolute words like 'always', never, etc. They are so seldom accurate and they paint a false picture. I'm sorry to see you got hammered for speaking truth to the masses.

−14

blueskieslemontrees t1_j2doomc wrote

Geez thanks for all the downvotes when I am just trying to help you further the cause by explaining what the hell you mean. With an overabundance of acronyms a good portion of the population doesn't know every corner of the internet.

readthistoyourmomma t1_j2axqvm wrote

Morons can't handle a 12 year-old throwing a tantrum at tennis practice without using force and handcuffs, but they'll likely expect praise for not breaking out the taser or baton.

FromTheIsle t1_j2b2ytb wrote

We could have taken his legs. But we were feeling generous.

RammmITTT t1_j2aeedc wrote

This is downright sickening.

Zestyclose_Context79 t1_j2ao88l wrote

"Where is the training? Are you just going to the training and you're not taking it in?” This is exactly what they train for, to brutalize people into compliance. The officers involved will probably win a medal or two.

dalhectar t1_j2areyg wrote

Community service award for volunteering.

[deleted] t1_j2agkcw wrote

[deleted]

khuldrim t1_j2b7iud wrote

Cops are not your friends. ACAB. Dont count on them for anything, and calling them will probably result in more issues for you than you originally had.

Asterion7 t1_j2as8t7 wrote

This is sadly not surprising. Google cops and arresting autistic people. There are a ton of stories. Lots of deaths.

GaimanitePkat t1_j2e0oyo wrote

Didn't they kill a young autistic man who liked to play violin for shelter animals and told the cops he loved them and forgave them as they were in the middle of crushing him to death?

RVAbosozoku t1_j2ay5g6 wrote

I hate cops so much. L career

StarshipTzadkiel t1_j2bbgs5 wrote

Cops are cowards who react with extreme violence by instinct. Shameful, horrible people.

bruxalle t1_j2ddxee wrote

This is what happens when you teach your kids to believe that cops are there to help. They most certainly are not. I’m glad this didn’t end worse.

FromTheIsle t1_j2b2qoy wrote

Holy shit you cannot make this stuff up.

tmgieger t1_j2bmgus wrote

Wouldn't have helped in this case, but in US Virginia there is JP's Law. "JP’s Law allows individuals to VOLUNTARILY add an innocuous code to their Virginia issued driver’s licenses and/or identification card noting they have autism or an intellectual disability. ". The idea is supposed to be that the police would have a heads up and, hopefully, approach the individual with more understanding. Traffic stops would probably be the most common time the code on ID would come into play. https://www.autismparentingmagazine.com/protect-people-with-special-needs/

DaTruMVP t1_j2bmyrt wrote

Cops are too fucking stupid to read, good luck with this

szabo22 t1_j2dyf6u wrote

At the very least, if something were to happen you *might* be able to claim that the code was there and that the cop should've noticed.

Its like grasping a fly, but its something.

Jugo49 t1_j2bq7jy wrote

They dont even deal with normal people in a reasonable manner.

HIMAN1998 t1_j2dp7yo wrote

considering how cops treat autistic people, I don’t want another marker on me to give them reason to believe it is okay to brutalize me.

Brutal_Hustler t1_j2c38b7 wrote

This deserves being reposted in a bigger sub. Maybe/r/aboringdystopia

lame_gaming t1_j2bvrl3 wrote

just bc you got a gun doesnt mean you can sit on your high horse bossing people around and telling them what to do

and whenever their ego gets harmed and people tell them to get off their high horse they get so mad

1975hh3 t1_j2c5661 wrote

“Fuck The Police.” -motherfucking Ice Cube

Stitchmond t1_j2cgzbr wrote

Why even offer a tennis program that's coached by police officers?

CptJaxxParrow t1_j2dbztp wrote

Cause police are more interested in the theater of being good guys than actually being the good guys

doodooeyes t1_j2cjdf0 wrote

Y’all need to learn. Don’t interact with cops. Use your 2nd amendment rights and project yourself from anyone that tries to harm you. Regardless of their uniform.

salawm t1_j2cgu65 wrote

The police are not your friend.

Tylerjb4 t1_j2bypt7 wrote

Fuck the police. Fuck fed boys. Fuck authoritarians. Fuck statists.

ilikeathesauce t1_j2dnzjm wrote

‘Except the ones that are willing to confiscate people’s guns’ -the avg rva redittor

−4

batkave t1_j2ca45o wrote

ACAB is pretty obvious.

Madselaine t1_j2c9vqi wrote

While not surprised, I’m still shocked, disgusted, and furious.

Has VCU made any sort of statement on the incident?

Ok_Boysenberry_4223 t1_j2dkxyg wrote

The programs just rent space from VCU, they aren’t university sponsored/affiliated.

nartarf t1_j2dyf5n wrote

It’ll be warmish Monday and Tuesday if anyone’s trying to stomp your feet in our streets.

[deleted] t1_j2aufhn wrote

[deleted]

−7

fusion260 t1_j2av7we wrote

> He taught his son

She taught her son. The story is about a mother talking about what happened to her son.

It’s literally in the title and first sentence of the news article.

Bodiesattva23 t1_j2brogx wrote

"Headbutts a police officer...not sure how he got a concussion" 🤔

−31

fusion260 t1_j2bux8o wrote

The police claimed the kid headbutt the officer. It wasn’t written in the report and there doesn’t seem to be any evidence to back it up.

That’s why the mother is asking what happened.

We know police lie. Police are allowed to lie. Police aren’t required to protect people. Police will protect themselves.

drkev10 t1_j2bynh4 wrote

"headbutted an officer while being detained" so he was being forcefully detained why? That's the whole resisting arrest scenario where someone is completely clueless why they're being attacked by a cop and don't just let them brutalize em.

RefrigeratorRater t1_j2bblli wrote

TBH the article is kind of lacking in details beyond the before and after of the scene according to the mother. Will wait for further details before getting my pitchfork.

−64

mynameisnotmorgan t1_j2bd2ps wrote

Doesn’t matter. He is a child and the police are adults. You do not deescalate a child with autism using excessive force or restraints— it doesn’t work, it makes things much worse and is exceptionally traumatizing and harmful to the child. There are so many other scientifically researched & effective ways to deescalate in a behavioral crisis.

mgray88 t1_j2bj81k wrote

You don’t even need the with autism qualifier. If an ADULT cannot handle a CHILD without excessive force, they probably shouldn’t be in the position they’re in

RefrigeratorRater t1_j2bgdee wrote

Unfortunately the article doesn’t have details on how the kid was injured, beyond him headbutting an officer. But agree that I don’t see why a kid needed to be cuffed.

−31

TheStinkySkunk t1_j2bl14r wrote

Supposedly head butting an officer.

Big distinction there. Even the police report didn't have any information about the altercation. Which is definitely a red flag in my opinion.

remus989 t1_j2bmzll wrote

Hey hey, we wait for more info on potential excessive force by an officer but take ANY info about the slightest resistance to police as fuckin gospel!

CptJaxxParrow t1_j2bl04l wrote

Does it really matter how he was injured? even assuming that he was injured before being restrained, how on earth did the kid with autism and a concussion end up in handcuffs?