Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

vinsalducci t1_j30jc51 wrote

It’s all my fault. I bought a new sled.

Food_Library333 t1_j317fxb wrote

I thought it was because I finally bought a snow blower.

Bradcopter t1_j31lbhk wrote

I put my snow tires on. Sorry, y'all.

NoMidnight5366 t1_j31rc2x wrote

That’s my trick to never losing power-buy an expensive generator.

dmcginvt t1_j32odqg wrote

I’ve got one, runs it’s test every Monday and has for 5 years, ran for 1.5 hours during the big blow down died and I was out of power for the next 3 days

twdvermont t1_j31pmhf wrote

I rented skis for the season, determined to finally learn.

WantDastardlyBack t1_j31r0hg wrote

I was given an electric snowblower after a brand new li-ion battery pack melted a hole, which led to a gov't report and big apology from the manufacturer. The only snow we've had so far was barely over four inches, so we can't really test it out. I figure that snowblower is the jinx.

71802VT t1_j31ridq wrote

Like taking an umbrella to make sure it doesn't rain or not bringing one so it does.

LunaSkate t1_j31tsov wrote

I helped by buying a fat bike and a snow skateboard. Oops.

[deleted] t1_j31x1t5 wrote

Admittedly, I did buy XC skis during the off-season. That must have contributed.

cutemercy7wu t1_j3320tb wrote

Once my current sled dies I ain't buying another one. Its just not worth it anymore :(

stankbankhank t1_j308hfh wrote

i miss the quiet. the snow once blanketed the monotonous sounds of every day life, enveloping the hills and little rivers with an almost deafening peaceful silence.

witch_of_winooski t1_j305ves wrote

Yes, very much. Am a lover of all things snowy, and not a fan of warming trends, climate change in general, or mud season arriving two-and-change months ahead of schedule.

therealrico t1_j32j1c2 wrote

Now it’s more like an on again off again mud season

littlebirdie91 t1_j306z36 wrote

Me too. Do you think it'll snow again this winter?

Wintrgreen t1_j30bcms wrote

Absolutely lol.

aenteus t1_j3430t4 wrote

Second this.
I spent Christmas 2014 on the beach in MA, off the north shore. Shorts, flip flops, all that. Hi 60’s, low 70s.

January 6th 2015, I moved myself across MA convinced we’d have a warm winter. No snow in sight.
The next week, it started to snow and didn’t stop until April, and there was a fucking Yeti digging peoples cars out in Boston. Fuck that noise, don’t be fooled, NEK is going to get clobbered.

Corey307 t1_j32gdan wrote

I see two slightly snowy days projected in the next ten days around Chittenden County. So we’ll maybe have 1-2” of snow by Jan. 15th. That’s not normal.

bibliophile222 t1_j30ciaj wrote

I'm a warm-weather person and feel much more comfortable when it's not cold and snowy, but it's freaking January, it's supposed to be bitterly cold! Temperatures this warm for this many days in a row are concerning and have some shitty consequences for the local ecosystem. I hope everyone wanted lots and lots of ticks this spring...

hideous-boy t1_j30od5l wrote

yeah I much prefer warmth but even more than that I prefer a working climate. I'll freeze my ass off and bear the brunt of snowstorms if it means Vermont is as cold as it's supposed to be

ceiffhikare t1_j322m3o wrote

> if it means Vermont is as cold as it's supposed to be

Depends on what slice of the geological record you care to cherry pick i guess. Periods of warming have overall been beneficial to humanity.

−12

Corey307 t1_j32g41j wrote

You don’t understand what you’re describing, we aren’t coming out of an Ice Age we’re seeing a global temperature increase that is leading to crop losses, drought and ecological destruction. The planet is more than warm enough as it is.

ceiffhikare t1_j32oc32 wrote

> The planet is more than warm enough as it is.

There is where we disagree. I LIKE this and every single other warmer winter, less snow to shovel, doesnt cost as much to stay alive and thawed out, and best part of all, fewer entitled asshole flatlanders coming up here to ski!

−8

Corey307 t1_j32xu2f wrote

I’ll try to make this simple for you, climate change means a very large amount of people are going to die in the next few decades and it also means things like food and fuel are going to become extremely expensive. Probably a lot more expensive than you can afford. You should not welcome the coming apocalypse but you’re a woodchuck so yeah.

ceiffhikare t1_j330rta wrote

> you’re a woodchuck so yeah.

Hell yeah i am and you aint gonna shame for it, lmfao.

Sure people will die, they are dying in this bs LSC society we got going on rn too and while we could change how society works to fix it we are doing F-all about it in any meaningful ways. IDC and wont be shamed for not caring about coastal communities. Food? meh we will see but new areas will open up as old ones become unviable. Crops have and will change and we can do a lot with genes to help adjust as things change.

−4

Corey307 t1_j333klj wrote

Your ignorance is astounding and I’m sad to say I’ve seen a lot of it in the state. seems like something that comes about when people live isolated and don’t see outside of their own little town.

ceiffhikare t1_j3358ur wrote

Dude.. gtfoh with that not seeing beyond your town bs, we live in the information age and i dont need to waste time or money traveling to learn about the greater world. that is so 19th century thinking, lol.

I know, im terrible for not wanting to wreck the developed economies of the world; that i dare to think humanity should ,yes do what we can to move away from FF, *also adapt to the changing planet instead of foolishly trying to lock it into one static climatic state forever.

Corey307 t1_j337t89 wrote

You talk about adapting to the changing planet but we can’t, climate change is not a benefit. You talked about climate change opening up parts of the world for agriculture but you’re making a big assumption that those areas are suitable for agriculture. The reality is we are fucked on a global scale the upside is New England is projected to be one of the better places to ride it out. That said if you have land preparing for the future would be a good idea, get some fruit and nut trees in the ground if you don’t already have some and get a big garden going. I don’t know about you but the price of produce is becoming problematic so I produce my own.

Dr_Underhill t1_j32t14g wrote

Says the entitled asshole who LIKES climate change and the consequential human suffering across the globe. But hey it makes you more comfortable and that’s what really matters right?

ceiffhikare t1_j32wt6q wrote

>But hey it makes you more comfortable and that’s what really matters right?

As a matter of fact yes, cheaper to live day to day too! I would love nothing more than to be able to afford to build a net zero home here on the small bit of land i got, cant get a loan but hey NETO will come and dump 3k into my POS trailer,lol. Cant really go green until i get something on a foundation here but even then it wont be to save the planet, it will be to be free from paying for energy i(we) need to live a modern life.

−1

thqks t1_j33lnvz wrote

I'm curious what you're going to do for fun during 6 months of 40-degree weather.

ceiffhikare t1_j36aux3 wrote

The same things i do for fun any other time of the year. Game, surf the internet, build the occasional pile of brush and set it on fire. Not really an outdoors person anymore.

TwoNewfies t1_j31i9jt wrote

Pretty sure we won't have any peaches or plums or fruit this year. Have read that maple sap is starting to run. It's raining and 38 here in the south, at 7am! In January!

Corey307 t1_j32fwzc wrote

I’ve said it a few times but my fruit trees didn’t drop their leaves until a month after I expected and started trying to grow new ones fairly recently, that’s terrible for them.

trashmoneyxyz t1_j34ynng wrote

There has been a whole flock of ducks and geese that didn’t migrate this winter. I was really worried it was gonna be too late in the year for them to do it but clearly all the birds that wasted energy migrating were the real dummies, because winter was over in like a month and the river never froze. Blegh

MmmmapleSyrup t1_j31u4yc wrote

Isn’t it normal to have a January thaw? Perhaps it’s warmer than usual but it warms up this time pretty much every year.

−7

anom_k t1_j31v70s wrote

This is a bit beyond a January thaw. I'm in Southern Quebec, just north of Vermont, and there's been multiple nights in a row above freezing. I don't remember that ever happening at this time of year other than 2015/16

murshawursha t1_j32a7r8 wrote

This isn't a thaw. This is just warm weather. If anything, the two storms we've actually gotten have been "freezes," more than the rest of the winter have been "thaws."

Parahble t1_j33vxyz wrote

Calling it a thaw is a massive understatement. I haven't had to wear even a light jacket in several days now.

CalicoFlannel t1_j30h9ub wrote

If only someone would take off their winter tires, then it would start snowing!

numetalbeatsjazz t1_j321bv7 wrote

I fucking put mine on when the temps were 55. It felt so dumb listening to the clack clack clack of the studs hitting the ice free pavement. Fuck this weather. I thought my depression was bad enough in the winter. Now its just grey and rainy and I can't do shit. Hiking trails are muddy, skiing is trash, skateparks are soaked. ugh

TheBeckofKevin t1_j325bki wrote

Moved away from rainy winters to NH and realized winter could be full of fun and outdoor activities. Went on snow hikes, skiing, pond hockey. Blue skies and white snow.

This weather is specifically what I moved away from, and I'm afraid this is the norm rather than the exception moving forward...

bonanzapineapple t1_j30gkul wrote

Yes. This makes me sad and anxious about the future of Vermont's climate

Catatonic27 t1_j32dj26 wrote

Yeah I predict our ski industry will almost completely collapse in our lifetimes.

you_give_me_coupon t1_j37v31r wrote

There were projections from state scientists posted on this sub of ~20-30 years max.

We desperately need leadership willing to take big, bold action on the climate . But I fear that as long as a few billionaire oligarchs can still make money while living in some climate-controlled bunker, nothing will ever get done. It doesn't matter if the ecosystem collapses, or billions of us die.

Catatonic27 t1_j381agr wrote

Sadly I fear you're right, moreso every year. We've known about this for so long, and NOTHING has been done. Just hand-wringing and signing accords that no are too conservative and no one plans to adhere to anyways. We're likely already past the point of no return to avoid the worst of it, and still nothing gets done. We're out of time and we haven't even started making a rudimentary plan yet. No one is willing to have the tough conversations, no one is willing to talk about what we're going to have to give up to get this situation under control. If we don't do it voluntarily, it will be done to us involuntarily.

Gnascher t1_j30cqfd wrote

I've been doing snow dances and sacrificing things to Ullr in the backyard bonfire nightly.

I'm running out of old ski gear to use as burnt offerings. The kids are getting nervous.

NurseHibbert t1_j31hqs4 wrote

My neighbor is going to start wondering what happened to all of his goats...

AgileAd9579 t1_j32bv7d wrote

I would have thought the skis would have been for Skadi?

Twombls t1_j306i41 wrote

Yeah snowless winters will have unforseen consequences in the future

Kitchen_Nail_6779 t1_j31nn3u wrote

Yes, as a simple example, we need snow runoff in the spring to keep streams, rivers, lakes, wells, etc full. The near term and long term consequences are real.

anniedee82 t1_j31pgfy wrote

With the price of heating oil, if there was ever a good time to have a mild winter this it.

Vermonter_Here t1_j31qj6z wrote

More than anything.

It feels like the grief is barely beginning. I know we'll still have "normal"-ish winters for the most part in the coming years (by which I mean it snows, and the snow sticks) but they're clearly becoming less frequent and less powerful.

It's like an aspect of my childhood that I had good reason to believe would always be here is dying.

SirRandyMarsh t1_j31rrwn wrote

My only real concern is the lack of snow means the rivers in June will be ultra low

MarkVII88 t1_j3238zz wrote

Personally, I can do without all the snow, ice, and cold weather. But I know that it means more hard times for people who make their living, or at least part of their living, from wintertime activities in VT. Fewer people visiting ski mountains. Fewer people for all the businesses and services associated with the ski mountains and other winter tourism. Fewer people riding snowmobiles and doing all those outdoor winter motorsports activities. Hard for people who make money plowing snow in the winter when there is no snow.

It means reduced tax income for the state and probably more people who will need all kinds of state-sponsored assistance too, because they lost their winter jobs and/or much of their income. Though, without the super cold temps and ice/snow, heating costs are going to be lower for everyone and towns won't have to pay as much for plowing and sand/salt for the roads. Not much of a silver lining though.

thestateisgreen t1_j30qxj3 wrote

I’m devastated. 11/12 and 15/16 winters all over again.

anom_k t1_j31vgg6 wrote

I think it's worse then 11/12 so far tbh

coldnh t1_j32jimk wrote

This may be the worst winter in my 40 year life... sucks azz.. Think I need to adjust my user name..

ScarletRead t1_j321d0b wrote

It’s freaking me out. I really wish I was as chill about it as some in this thread but it feels so so wrong.

Corey307 t1_j32en64 wrote

It is wrong, people don’t like to talk about climate change but it staring us right in the face. People focus too much on the global warming aspect of climate change when warming is only one facet, with climate change comes bizarre weather patterns. We got no snow, Buffalo sees dozens of deaths from 8 foot snow drifts. Europe and China suffer drought leading to Sirius crop losses this year, Pakistan gets hit with so much rain that a third of the country was underwater. For reference an area the size of Texas or France since they’re roughly equivalent flooded in Pakistan. The Colorado river is almost dry and the US had serious crop losses all throughout the Midwest because of extreme heat and drought. Strap in, it’s going to get worse.

JMChaseArt t1_j36mvya wrote

My theory is that for some people, the reality of devastation that climate change can (and will) cause is so frightening that it’s just easier to kid themselves that it’s a good thing. Denial is super powerful and it’s a lot easier to swallow than the impending destruction of society as we know it.

[deleted] t1_j30aslc wrote

[deleted]

DinosaurDied t1_j30ih5e wrote

Wait really?? By what metric? There are plenty of micro climates out west that avg 500+ inches of snow a year.

I imagine California has more snow in the sierras than all of VT at a given time also.

[deleted] t1_j30ioep wrote

[deleted]

−10

Steevsie92 t1_j31jwkd wrote

Must have something to do with snowfall over a percentage of a states total land area or something super specific like that. All the listicles that cite that ranking are pretty vague about how it’s determined, and the numbers they use seem to completely ignore entire mountainous regions, which easily dwarf the entire state of Vermont in total land area and receive way more snow even on a bad year.

JaimeGordonLannister t1_j31vty6 wrote

Even without looking at mountainous regions, the lake effect regions -- Buffalo NY, the UP of Michigan, NY's North Country -- get insane amounts of snow. But they're also relatively warm, for snowy regions, and the snow melts pretty quick, even after multi-foot snowfalls. So maybe Vermont ranks well because it gets a decent amount of snow that sticks around for a long time? I still don't believe VT gets more snow than Leadville or Silverton or even Tahoe.

Steevsie92 t1_j31wsls wrote

Yeah could be an average snow depth across a percentage of land area.

> Tahoe.

Can confirm. Lived there for 7 years and had multiple seasons where the snow totals were over 800”. I so wish anywhere in the northeast was capable of that because it would make choosing where to live so much easier.

Edit: Even snow depth doesn’t track because most articles put the snowfall number around 90” and there definitely isn’t a 7 foot deep average snowpack over most of Vermont. I feel like this is something that one blogger made up, and the rest took it as gospel.

DinosaurDied t1_j33ixqf wrote

Well a simple google search also told me earth was flat but I know that’s not true because it contradicts others facts.

Like the fact that even the high desert states like Wyoming could contain more snow at a given time, not to mention mountain ranges….

So whatever that statement is based on is using some creative metrics.

Biggest one is the fact that eastern Snow doesn’t stick around nearly as late either…. There are literal glaciers out west that never melt, even in Nevada.

Gramzzzz t1_j30xkl0 wrote

Hurr Durr, drive up cannot enjoy skiing or Ice fishing anymore. Knucklehead it is called climate change. Until big industries, billionaires and such stop spewing tons of Co2 into the air. It is going to get worse.

−26

grnmtnboy0 t1_j3170sf wrote

Snowmobile and ski towns are hurting right now

Ok-Valuable-6430 t1_j31a5wp wrote

It's my fault as I finally got my an appointment to switch to winter tires and got new winter gear. I'm sorry everyone. Jokes apart, it's worrisome, this isn't winter weather.

Galadrond t1_j34mlea wrote

This is the new normal unfortunately. During the next El Niño I doubt that VT will have more than 6 inches of snow on the ground at any point.

Jerry_Williams69 t1_j31m26i wrote

Yeah, this is the worst weather

coldnh t1_j32jgcs wrote

What do you mean? who doesn't love perpetual November and mud season? ughh... If I hear one more person say how happy they are about the warmer temps I might snap!

Jerry_Williams69 t1_j336ibx wrote

38F and rain is some form of purgatory. I will take just about any conditions over this.

CrispyApparition3568 t1_j31z9f5 wrote

Before downvoting me, please understand I realize snow and winter is a necessary cycle in the region.

Do I miss it? Not really. I don't ski anymore, as I'm physically unable. I don't have snowmobiles or ATVs. And I generally dislike cold weather (anything below 15°F). I'm one who finds winter depressing. Overcast skies for days on end, cold and uncomfortable, short days and long nights... it affects me.

HOWEVER, I do know it is needed for many reasons. Ecosystem being the main reason, of course. And seeing Vermont's biggest tourism drive is skiing and winter sports, yeah, it's needed. (Obviously, there is more to it than the ecosystem or skiing. I am just giving very simple examples.)

cookiemonster1020 t1_j32rcw6 wrote

My wife + furry dog and I live down south in the DC metro and eagerly awaited a trip to Vermont to play in the snow around New Years that we planned several months ago. So blame us

RandolphCarter15 t1_j32sp9h wrote

It's apocalyptic. All the kids at our daycare were weird today. They knew something is wrong

not-a-muggle t1_j332q3a wrote

This is climate change. I moved back here 3 years ago after 20 years away and it’s remarkable.

Stormy_Anus t1_j35qf9a wrote

It's a La Nina year, this is expected

Gramzzzz t1_j30viz3 wrote

Honestly being homeless before in my life. I do miss the snow it made everything quite and peaceful.

ceiffhikare t1_j319j0m wrote

Only when I grab the wheelbarrow instead of the sled to bring in firewood. Otherwise im am more than fine with the winter that we have had so far.

eeeyow t1_j31knnv wrote

The sled is much more efficient for moving firewood inside. I need to replenish the inside pile this weekend and I'm not looking forward to using the wheelbarrow. While I miss winter being winter, I don't mind avoiding the extra heating costs and snow removal headaches.

TheTr7nity t1_j31jp86 wrote

I do. I’m praying and hoping it gets colder and we see some significant snowfall.

immutable_truth t1_j31x7br wrote

Yep. Nothing is more miserable than a rainy winter.

murshawursha t1_j32ak1y wrote

I fuckin' moved to VT because I wanted to live somewhere where I was near skiing and didn't see grass between December and April, and I can't afford any ski towns out west.

Feels like we haven't had a good winter since 2019, and I hate it.

Corey307 t1_j32e5pw wrote

Climate change means we’re in for a wild future. At least our forests aren’t browning out like the west coast.

casewood123 t1_j32jnnm wrote

No. But I understand it’s necessity.

akmjolnir t1_j32lqzi wrote

I need to ski two more times to break even on my Epic Pass.

jackrat27 t1_j33pwha wrote

What is this “snow” you speak of?

blipblapblorp t1_j31o9xw wrote

Yes! I keep forgetting that it's January...

[deleted] t1_j322llr wrote

yes! January and no snow on the ground is bullshit! i'm defecting to Canada if this keeps up.

Cap1691 t1_j32jrt1 wrote

Winter should be winter

retnuh-N t1_j33fom2 wrote

Still don't know how my mainer ass got here but yeah we miss the snow

Upthespurs1882 t1_j33jfcy wrote

I heard someone call it Eternal November the other day

Baristaski2000 t1_j34tme1 wrote

My bad. I secured covered parking for the winter.

reaperc t1_j30kvn5 wrote

Heck yeah. Been living in Tokyo, haven't been back home to VT in almost 12 years. Barely snows here.

DamonKatze t1_j31yo4a wrote

Considering so many people commute a good distance to work, I'd say the lack of accidents on the highways is great.

SnooWords5691 t1_j32v10n wrote

I'm headed to camp in western MA, they're supposed to get 4". Need to test out my new winter camping gear.

trashmoneyxyz t1_j34ya5q wrote

I’ve probably had a total of two weeks of snowy weather this winter :( and I didn’t get to enjoy any of them because I was at work!

dcarsonturner t1_j356im2 wrote

Hell yeah, this is depressing as hell :(

mossybishhh OP t1_j3jzbsx wrote

My husband and I have been seriously talking about moving to Alaska 😕

Golfoneway95 t1_j356ros wrote

The less snow that’ll need to melt in the Spring so the golf courses can open up early😀 we could still see a very snowing February/March you never know!

MarkVII88 t1_j3726hu wrote

I feel bad particularly because we wasted hundreds of dollars to buy ski passes for our kids that they won't get to use. Definitely not getting our money's worth this year. And honestly, I'll be hesitant to spend that money next year.

twowheels t1_j3c1sof wrote

I have a plan — let’s all put our summer tires back on, next day we’ll have multiple feet of snow!

Necessary_Cat_4801 t1_j3zb5un wrote

The best part is people are like man, sure is warm for January. Let's have a kid! They'll be fine!

chain_me_up t1_j32fi8z wrote

I'm actually an NH resident, but I like to browse all the New England subs, couldn't agree more with this! Winter is my favorite season and I love snow, this is heartbreaking to me.

goodtimesVT t1_j32fwr6 wrote

Nope actually managed to play a round of golf.

imfacemelting t1_j34b7jj wrote

yes, my bike rides are too warm. 40-50F and rainy is hardest to dress for

LovingChristmas52 t1_j34wc69 wrote

I miss it. It’s so pretty when it’s white. This feels like South Carolina not Vermont

therealrico t1_j32it3z wrote

Omg yes. Mainly due to my Saint Bernard. 1. He loves the winter and eating snow. 2. He he stays so much cleaner in the winter, and doesn’t track in nearly as much dirt when there is snow on the ground.

−1

TechNizza t1_j30lgek wrote

Not really. Less heating expenses due to higher temps, less salt on roads, easier traveling conditions, etc.

−2

CheesusCheesus t1_j31eu94 wrote

In general agreement with all of the above.

I'm not someone who spends a lot of time outdoors beyond yard work and cleaning snow.

That all said, given the choice I would reluctantly go for a healthy layer of snow for some outdoor activity as opposed to this...."Pacific Northwest but colder"

Necessary_Cat_4801 t1_j3zax5s wrote

As long as you don't have kids you give a shit about and plan to be dead in the next 30 years, this theory is sound.

RetiscentSun t1_j31wb0v wrote

Fuck no. Didn’t have to clear off my car before work this morning

−2

hunny_bun_24 t1_j30mncv wrote

No. A slightly warmer and inviting climate for VT is good. Makes it easier to live here, cheaper in terms of utilities, more attractive to out of state people to move here and create stable economic activity. Create more development and if done in a creative way will not take away from vermonts beauty

−46

hideous-boy t1_j30p424 wrote

Vermont's ecosystem is designed for a different climate than what's coming to the state

also a huge chunk of the state's current economic activity comes from the money brought in from ski resorts and resort towns. All of that collapses if the snow stops. Fake snow will not keep those resorts running in the same way

ceiffhikare t1_j319yg3 wrote

GOOD! VT's current economic ecosystem needs to go extinct! We have to adjust our lives and economies to the world we actually live in not the one those in the capital would like to where the state stays the scenic playground for the 10%.

−29

Enachtigal t1_j31dmgi wrote

You will be banking on desperate climate refugees and the rest of the US going to shit. With crappy snow, long dark cold and rainy winters and small mountains VT won't be that attractive to people.

ceiffhikare t1_j31ibay wrote

We need to double and triple down on "Made in VT" so our people who reside here all year around can get paid enough to actually live in VT. We will always have tourism, skiing/wintersports, and agriculture.. we just need more of the rest of the industries that make up a functional economy too!

−7

ScarletRead t1_j321y14 wrote

I’m sorry this is absurd. Climate collapse is not an opportunity

ceiffhikare t1_j323juh wrote

Every crisis is an opportunity. We need to figure out how to adapt to a changing planet if we are ever going to exist off this one. Im all for eliminating our dependence on FF, but not if its going to just make a different group of folks rich,off a different set of problematic resources, while main street folks still get screwed on the monthly utilities.

anom_k t1_j31x7z4 wrote

I mean this in the most vitriolic way possible, go fuck yourself. What an ignorant load of horseshit. The lack of concern for the local ecosystems that rely on cold winters is incredibly selfish.

Many iconic species such as moose and lynx may go extinct in Vermont in the coming decades. Not to mention the myriad other less known, but ultimately important, species of plants and animals that rely on consistent cold temperatures.

The water cycle in the area is also dependent on large snow melts in the spring, and loosing that may be devastating for local agriculture.

The economy will also be devastated by the warming winters. Ski resorts are incredibly important to the economy of the region, especially in more remote areas. Not only do they directly drive the economy, but they also indirectly drive traffic to local small businesses. I'd the ski hills close, countless small businesses will go under.

ScarletRead t1_j321zj0 wrote

I can’t believe how little some people care about the planet we live on

anom_k t1_j322gjb wrote

Ya its absolutely disgusting. Remember, these fucks vote. No wonder the planet is going to hell

ceiffhikare t1_j321xeb wrote

>the ski hills close, countless small businesses will go under.

And others will rise to replace them.

−4

anom_k t1_j322bie wrote

No, they won't. The region around Jay doesn't have enough people to support the variety of small businesses. The people come for the ski hill and spend their money in the surrounding areas, making it possible for them to exist

inthepines3000 t1_j328wbg wrote

Skiing is a catastrophe for the environment. If climate change is going to destroy everything and cause societal chaos like so many predict, then one of the first things we should do is outlaw ski mountains.

Calculate the amount of carbon released just from people driving multiple hours up to the ski areas from the cities and everything else required to run a ski mountain. Or does elitist recreation not count toward the "impending environmental apocalypse."

−1

anom_k t1_j32bjka wrote

Driving is more of the problem here. If you ban ski hills, people will just drive somewhere else to recreate. The solution to that problem is public transit infrastructure like trains and busses, which should've been developed decades ago to move away from inefficient and dangerous car infrastructure.

Also, if the power grid that the ski hill is connected to is powered by renewable energy sources like hydro or solar, it won't be outputting any more carbon than anything else.

There are far FAR bigger fish to fry than ski hills when looking at global emissions. The meat we north Americans eat at an absurd rate is thousands of times more destructive than ski resorts.

The main harm caused by ski resorts, co2 from car travel and lift operations, is negated if the power grid isn't fueled by fossil fuels and by proper public transit.

Also, skiing has been a massive aspect of Vermont and is not necessarily elitist. Are you gonna go up to some local dude who goes to Mad Ruver Glen or Cochran's a few times a week and call him an elitist for enjoying winter? Not to mention the enormous back country ski community

inthepines3000 t1_j33fpsa wrote

I have nothing against ski hills. I love them.

But.

You live in a fantasy world. And love to cherry pick data.

Sure. Everyone skiing in Vermont are locals at Cochrans. Remind me of that after the next snow dump on the way up to Killington or Stowe while you sit between gargantuan idling SUV's for hours.

Sure, we have this amazing clean power grid.

The majority of the NE power grid comes from burning gas.

Sure, Vermont can afford publicly funded trains running people all over the state.

See The Champlain Flyer, VT population and already unsustainable tax burden.

You live in a fantasy world where you pick and choose what is bad based on what you like and want.

Facts are facts. The truth is real.

anom_k t1_j33gz89 wrote

Literally addressed 0 of my arguments. My main point was that the things that cause ski resorts to be bad for the environment stem from larger problems such as fossil fuel and lack of public transport, and as such, ski resorts aren't inherently bad for the environment.

The problems with climate change cannot be solved by a few pieces of legislation on state levels as it would require a mass global effort to completely rework all infrastructure and global economic systems. And we all know that's not gonna happen.

Because of that I don't see the point of you bringing up ski resorts

ceiffhikare t1_j324lpe wrote

I wish you econazis would make up your minds,lol. Are we going to be flooded with climate refugees up here or will our small towns dry up and never be seen again?!

Businesses not related to the tourism industry will rise to replace whatever jobs are lost due to our transition into a warmer climate. I have to wonder why so many are simping so hard for an industry that makes it all but impossible for anyone but the well off to live here?

−3

Corey307 t1_j32fliq wrote

Except they won’t, there’s no business or industry that will replace the ski industry. The warmer it gets and the less snow we get the less jobs associated with snow.

ceiffhikare t1_j32p63v wrote

> the less jobs associated with snow

Im fine with more manufacturing in VT. We need to shift our focus away from a service economy, its just not viable to generate the revenue we need to take care of our people. It is a wonderful addition but it can barely pay the bills and takes a shadow economy of some 5B worth of non profit efforts in addition to the official budget.

Corey307 t1_j32xlnz wrote

Manufacturing what exactly? It’s not like manufacturing jobs are high paying and the locals are likely to resist because of environmental impacts.

Corey307 t1_j32fer5 wrote

You don’t seem to understand that you may be more comfortable with warm winters but it will be devastating for the ecosystem. The plants and animals in the state have adapted to usual weather patterns and the severe disruption in those weather patterns is something they can’t adapt to in a few years. Warm winters means that ticks don’t die off so they proliferate and this will lead to mass die offs of pretty much everything in the forest. Trees are confused as fuck, my fruit trees didn’t drop their leaves until super late in the season and then started trying to grow new ones because of how warm it’s been. That stresses the trees and that’s dangerous.