Submitted by FarttardSandwich t3_yfqol9 in washingtondc

Hello, so in apologize for the proper formatting:

I’ve been a Maryland resident for the past 3 years. Near Solomons Island, Lusby the first two years.

I got a job over a year ago in Montgomery county and moved to Chevy Chase and loved it. Felt safe and better than Lusby, felt like there were things to do. Plenty of restaurants and even being near nightlife was nice as opposed to being in SoMD where there’s nothing to do and groceries close early.

My apartment least is about up here in Chevy Chase and rent lease renewal is skyrocketing up.

With my employer I now work 100% of my time at home and love it.

It’s insane to me that it takes me 5 minutes to walk in Washington D.C., as I live right by the border line.

I’ve been considering moving to Georgetown and found a great apartment there for a very good price, just $50 more than my current rent.

However, moving into Georgetown would mean I’m no longer a Maryland resident and wondering what the pros and cons of that would be.

I’ve heard DMV (or MVA) as it’s called out here, Motor Vehicle Administration, is hell in DC but that may just be speculation. Either way, I’ll be willing to put up with a day of that to get an updated drivers license.

I also do consume cannabis and heard DC laws are pretty relaxed in comparison to Maryland. I don’t have a Maryland cannabis card, just purchase it from my old college friend who also happens to live nearby in Baltimore.

I don’t know if tax laws are better in DC or worse.

I’m really just wondering if it’s worth the hassle of moving a few miles south from Chevy Chase Maryland down into Georgetown DC.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AdditionalAttorney t1_iu4ql28 wrote

DMV is no worse than any other DMV I’ve dealt with

Tax implications will be the biggest impact. Someone else will know more but I assume your taxes might be less bc you’re currently paying Montgomery county tax on top of state and federal.

throwaway6308 t1_iu4tpak wrote

If anything, the DMV (at least in SW) is pretty easy to deal with—definitely the easiest experience I’ve had registering my OOS car compared to the 6 other states I’ve lived in. It’s very organized, and the employees are generally helpful.

d1dzter t1_iu6b5z7 wrote

IMO, DMV is a roll of the dice. As of late, it's been rolling surprisingly in my favor.

I personally don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be, but shit can always go wrong, but we know that, because it's a DMV.

IrishWake_ t1_iuf2ger wrote

SW DMV was the nicest DMV experience I’ve ever had, between a couple of states across the country

FarttardSandwich OP t1_iu4rbeh wrote

Interesting hasn’t thought of that.

Yeah I don’t mind the DMV experience. Worst ever DMV experience was in Nevada so don’t thing DC could be worse.

SheilaBoof t1_iu5f3od wrote

DMV is probably the most competent city agency. I can get there early on a Saturday and be done in less than an hour. Sometimes, I'm still filling out forms when I get called. The other city agencies I've had to deal with are awful.

Think about your parking situation. Unless you have your own spot, it can be rough getting a decent parking spot in Georgetown. There's also street cleaning and you will have to move your car to avoid a ticket.

Professional-Can1385 t1_iu665ka wrote

I went to the DMV on a Saturday afternoon, it took about an hour to get everything done. That included a trip back home to get the correct copy of a form!

AdditionalAttorney t1_iu4wbw8 wrote

It probably depends on expectations. I assume it’s likely to take me all day. So I go at the crack of dawn, with all my paperwork.

blootereddragon t1_iu8znzm wrote

And if you switch from MD to DC plates you automatically become a better driver

keyjan t1_iu4tud8 wrote

do you like having actual representation in congress? If yes, stay in MD. If not, sure, move to D.C.

giscard78 t1_iu4r9z2 wrote

I like DC over Maryland because MoCo/PG play second fiddle in state politics behind the Annapolis-Baltimore-Columbia region despite being the two counties being the economic engine of the state.

Overall tax burden is comparable.

> I’ve heard DMV (or MVA) as it’s called out here, Motor Vehicle Administration, is hell in DC but that may just be speculation.

It’s fine? Idk. It’s something you do once and then forget about, certainly not enough to make an entire where to live decision based on.

9throwawayDERP t1_iu5o4mk wrote

Tax burden is decently lower in DC, but I’d run the numbers personally. (VA vs DC is a different cup of tea).

yonkssssssssssssss t1_iu4t1bd wrote

Income taxes may be slightly lower in DC. I also found the DC rec department, pools, and parks easier to access than Montgomery county’s. A lot of MOCO amenities like that are car focused, which is a drag. You have several good park and rec options in georgetown. Also georgetown just has a bunch more going on than Chevy chase. And close to downtown.

bluewaterboy t1_iu56mkm wrote

I went to the DMV once over the last year and it was incredibly fast, there was no line and I was there at 9:30 on a Thursday.

[deleted] t1_iu571s6 wrote

[deleted]

9throwawayDERP t1_iu5ohop wrote

Both DC property and income tax is lower than MoCO. Sales tax is pretty much equal. Rent west of rock creek and inner Bethesda/CC are a wash. Really only difference is schools and services. DC has better services broadly speaking (parental leave, etc), but MoCo has better schools. I don’t think OP has kids yet.

solidrecommendations t1_iu58acv wrote

Consume cannabis? Such weird phrasing lol

ehenning1537 t1_iu594zq wrote

Wait OP is driving to Baltimore for weed? What an idiot. It’s legal in DC. Anyone over 21 can walk into a grey market dispensary and get whatever they want. It’s almost certainly better than any Baltimore trash they’re buying. People here buy fancy weed. We’ve got options

DfcukinLite t1_iu5gta6 wrote

lol at "fancy weed". there are dispensaries in Baltimore and they cost less than the ones in DC. That doesnt start or stop at the 65 square miles of DC

d1dzter t1_iu6c1xp wrote

I think you have to factor in the travel to Baltimore to derive the proper value of the cost savings. Gas + time, is it worth it? Frankly, I'm suspecting that OP is not the sharpest tool in the shed anyways lol

ehenning1537 t1_iu6fw94 wrote

OP doesn’t have a medical card so they can’t use medical dispensaries in Baltimore. They’re buying black market fully illegal to sell weed. DC also has black market dealers and they’re cheaper than Baltimore dealers

endlessly_apollo t1_iu5mnfm wrote

> With my employer I now work 100% of my time at home.

Sounds like you could live anywhere. Have you considered buying in another (cheaper COL) metro area?

9throwawayDERP t1_iu5op65 wrote

OP is thinking of moving to Georgetown. Hard to replicate that other than in Boston, Charleston, or Savannah. Maybe a few other (equally expensive) places.

unwhale t1_iu90ak3 wrote

Can you elaborate on why you compared Georgetown to those cities? I love Charleston and Savannah, and I was curious what made you compare those to Georgetown.

9throwawayDERP t1_iu90vjf wrote

At least 50 blocks of housing and shopping in a historic town center that has mostly original buildings. Doesn’t really exist out of a very small subset. You could add the French quarter to that list. old town Alexandria is good too. But you need homes, shops and restaurants in buildings that are at least 150 years old.

Most other places demolished their equivalents. DC came close, but the freeway riots stopped them just in time. (The key bridge was going to be demolished for an interstate and the entire neighborhood would have become an on-ramp)

trash_2008 t1_iu6ya7w wrote

I would move every couple months if I worked 100% from home.

Pragmatic_Hedonist t1_iu7x1z2 wrote

Chevy Chase is very metro accessible. Georgetown is not if that matters to you. Also, having a car in DC is expensive. If you don't have a car - you may want to move somewhere closer to a metro station. And figure out how to use the circulator.

d1dzter t1_iu6bqti wrote

It sounds like you need to figure out what you want. The cost of living in DC can be higher in some cases, less so than in others. It sounds like you're worried about ... really bizarre and incongruent variables.

You need to just figure out what it is that you want ... or even what it is you're really trying to ask. The Pros/Cons are fairly standard for any metro/suburb comparison and can be subjective. Some people like quiet comfort, and other people like getting smashed at mediocre bars on the weekend.

blueva703 t1_iu786fs wrote

If no one has mentioned it, check with your auto insurance provider (if you have an auto) to see what your insurance rate will be. It may be different than what you currently pay.

lmboyer04 t1_iu93qqk wrote

The NW DMV is probably the most crowded. Go early in the morning to the SW one and you’ll be in and out super fast.

Georgetown is probably more of a change than simply moving into DC. They don’t really have a metro station there. You walk to Foggy Bottom, DuPont, or Rosslyn depending on vicinity