Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

MonsterByDay t1_iufgbf5 wrote

I just stole $2 worth of Halloween candy from my kids’ baskets, and ran off in a $8 pair of slippers.

earthtr0ll t1_iufh8r5 wrote

r/maine

same_subreddit_bot t1_iufh9rq wrote

Yes, that's where we are.

^(🤖 this comment was written by a bot. beep boop 🤖)

^(feel welcome to respond 'Bad bot'/'Good bot', it's useful feedback.) ^github ^| ^Rank

gradontripp t1_iufkisq wrote

Good bot

B0tRank t1_iufkk2f wrote

Thank you, gradontripp, for voting on same_subreddit_bot.

This bot wants to find the best and worst bots on Reddit. You can view results here.

^(Even if I don't reply to your comment, I'm still listening for votes. Check the webpage to see if your vote registered!)

blutigetranen t1_iufoc2d wrote

Did you chase the candy with Fireball or Menthol McGillicuddys?

MonsterByDay t1_iufxao4 wrote

Lol, I did not. Just elevated blood sugar and regret.

Dramatic-Ad-2581 t1_iueznfz wrote

Holly shit! I just saw a guy at Cumbies buy 23 dollars worth of Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale and drive off in a 15k Ford Fiesta SE. What are these people even doing?!?!

Elouiseotter t1_iufl5sd wrote

Is this a bad time for me to mention that I bought a 6 pack of Pumpkinhead in Pittsburgh for $7.99 😅

Dramatic-Ad-2581 t1_iufm0qg wrote

The alliteration value of "purchasing a 6 pack of Pumpkinhead in Pittsburgh" that outweighs any bad timing

timkyoung t1_iuhbuxe wrote

If only there were a single-digit number that started with 'p'. Why does the universe hate us?

JeffK1971 t1_iug7dag wrote

I moved from Maine to Colorado, and was pleasantly surprised they had Pumpkinhead this year, $9.99 for a 6 pack. Bought 5

Fortunatesin77 t1_iuf865i wrote

If you have a mclaren in your driveway they better be full size candy bars.

MysticalTeamMember t1_iugidjp wrote

This very elderly gentleman I work with, saves up to buy a whole hannaford bag full to the top with candy bars and other big items. He never got to go trick or treating as a kid, and loves to give back. Shout out to Dave!!

RealMainer t1_iuhpmc1 wrote

I always have full sized bars, not that anyone would know since kids don’t trick or treat in my neighborhood. For the last three years I’ve had one trick or treater.

RoyalRootersRallyCry t1_iuf7vyx wrote

Honestly, what are we doing in this sub?

[deleted] t1_iufhy0z wrote

[deleted]

Shadowcat205 t1_iug01w8 wrote

Wondered about that. We always called it “Hannafihd”, but that was in Rumfid.

Now, Cumby’s, sure. That’s a thing. But Hanny’s…?

jevamoka t1_iufqj7j wrote

We say Hannie’s or Hannie Hiney

GoodDecision t1_iug18re wrote

Cant-Afford's (we had to downgrade to Market Bucket due to inflation)

DidDunMegasploded t1_iugj1g0 wrote

Market Basket is too good to be treated as a byproduct of a downgrade.

GoodDecision t1_iuhlg8h wrote

You are absolutely right, poor choice of words. Now that we made the switch we are never going back. We love it, and we love the prices too.

DidDunMegasploded t1_iui7kom wrote

Glad you think so! We love MB too. Went to the Biddo one after the hype around its opening died down and we haven't regretted it since. Better than Whole Foods and Hannaford by a mile.

United_Mixture_6700 t1_iufo9s5 wrote

6th generation here, and do NOT say Hanny's.

−2

AssumptionLivid6879 t1_iuhfti7 wrote

12th generation here, who the fuck cares

United_Mixture_6700 t1_iuhi3qw wrote

Never heard it before this sub. Sounds unfamiliar, and suspect. Don't care for it. Like trying to make Fetch happen.

United_Mixture_6700 t1_iuhkc6p wrote

or wait, were u asking who the fuck cares about your claim to be 12th gen? Well...not me.

−5

AssumptionLivid6879 t1_iuho98d wrote

Jokes on you I’m 14th generation now, so now my input is even more valuable than yours. It must be difficult being lowly 6th gen or what us greats call you “lowly gens”

badhmorrigan t1_iuf55ay wrote

I wanna trick or treat at their house.

Guygan OP t1_iuf67y2 wrote

Come to Summer St tomorrow night.

badhmorrigan t1_iufg8k6 wrote

That would be a long drive from Belgrade Lakes.

FragilousSpectunkery t1_iufgqom wrote

You might get the keys to the McLaren.

ftedwin t1_iuglr7b wrote

Fun fact: Halloween on summer st has become so big that a community Facebook group holds a candy drive to help the folks living in multi million dollar houses afford to give back to the community for one night

sheeponabowl t1_iufl3pt wrote

It’s always Summer St. Always has been, and always will be, the best place to trick or treat as a kid in town.

Rezahn t1_iuffbhh wrote

Summer St was the best place to go when I was a kid. It sounds like that hasn't changed.

78FANGIRL t1_iuf55ji wrote

TBF, that's like 3 bags of candy. 🎃🎈

1WantT0Bel1eve t1_iuf9rpu wrote

And?

Guygan OP t1_iuf9xbn wrote

…he drove home in a really expensive car that’s rare in Maine with a shit-ton of candy?

−8

2lilbiscuits t1_iufe967 wrote

I’m from away (for work purposes) staying in that area and I’ve seen more Ferraris, Bentleys, and Lambos than I’ve ever seen in my life. This doesn’t surprise, there’s a lot of wealth in the area.

josecansecosbicep t1_iufkayz wrote

Believe me after high school working as a valet there I parked some of my dream cars from the video games growing up.

Dr_Clout t1_iufd2zt wrote

That’s not rare at all in kennebunk lol. There’s a guy Steve who owns a Lambo on route 1 and owns a shop. I hear he’s a nice guy but THATS more concerning considering the lowness of the vehicle. Someone bought 11 bags of candy in a rich town is meaningless but that’s just me

Guygan OP t1_iufgs26 wrote

> That’s not rare at all in kennebunk lol.

Yes, it is. Do you live in Kennebunk?

> There’s a guy Steve who owns a Lambo on route 1

I’ve seen that car. He’s in Arundel. And his Lambo is a piece of shit.

−11

Dr_Clout t1_iufhcj5 wrote

How’s his lambo a piece is shit? Is yours better?

Guygan OP t1_iufk1dg wrote

If you look closely it’s busted. And I’ve been to that shop and it’s VERY sketchy.

−8

Dr_Clout t1_iufkaij wrote

Sketchy how? You aren’t being clear and it seems to be unvalidated opinion

KdawgEdog t1_iugarg1 wrote

I just moved back to Maine from Houston, and there I saw a ton of super cars(still cool to see) I love automobiles. To see a car like this in Maine is pretty cool, and the fact all the bought was candy.

TastelessDonut t1_iufct28 wrote

Quick check his basement! Hahaha well he’s going to be the talk of the town.

bloodseto t1_iufi2se wrote

Yeah, I think I saw that guy, could have been a different guy, but it's kennebunk and Halloween is tomorrow. Just shrugged and went on my way.

TheFierceInvalid t1_iufmmh3 wrote

Woah, big gulps, huh? Alright! Well, see ya later.

markydsade t1_iufnder wrote

They could have gone to Shaw’s and wouldn’t have so many bags to carry for their $200.

Vermont_Dude t1_iufryab wrote

bro he bought 3 snickers and a milkyway?

Walter_J_Bro t1_iueyn1y wrote

Wow, I dont think I have ever seen one of those in Maine. The last McLaren I saw was in London, it was the orange one and it was parked in front of Harrod's. Far cry from Maine.

Spasmoweeder t1_iufkwrx wrote

there was a sweet one in Northeast Harbor all last summah

stedrocklp t1_iufh41b wrote

So it had Maine plates? I'd hate to register that thing.

zoolilba t1_iuflur0 wrote

One time in 2020 I watched ( admittedly eves dropped) a guy in aubuchon hardware buying an old fashioned fuses for an old car he seemed to be working on. He discovered they are $3-4 at check out. Balked and decided to only get to only get one. Then I watched him leave in a truck that had to cost $50k. I guess he got there by being frugal?

GamerRager t1_iugmqn1 wrote

Idk I don’t get this post. Are we supposed to be shitting on the guy in a mclaren? As a car guy and huge formula 1 fan I find it dope as hell to have a mclaren owner In our state. That’s what I dream of having even though I highly doubt I’ll have one but a man can dream lol

JustAGreenDreamer t1_iuhd982 wrote

I saw a lambo with Maine plates last month in Ellsworth. Honestly, I’m not giving these people a hard time for it, I just can’t believe that anyone local would subject cars like that to roads like this.

doomslayer95 t1_iuhlqb7 wrote

That's what I was thinking, these roads are not kind to low riding vehicles. Hell, even sometimes freshly paved roads are still bad.

biglymonies t1_iujb3wo wrote

There are quite a few supercar owners in Maine, although they're mostly older rat-fucked or heavily-modified Gallardo's. You could buy them for ~$80-90k used a few years ago. You can still get a semi-low mileage Gallardo Spyder for about $129k, which is only about $20k more expensive than the Ford F-150 Raptor or the new Range Rover. Still likely out of reach for the average Mainer, but not for an older car enthusiast or business owner.

But you're 100% right - unless you've got a fat bodywork budget, owning a vehicle with such a low ground clearance in Maine is ridiculous. Many have airbags to lift the front a bit, but you'd be stuck riding on those 24/7 in most places in the state.

RANDOluvsyou t1_iuhn2cb wrote

Not sure if its the same guy, but I'm in cape porpoise and there's a house down the street that usually (on the nicer days) has a McLaren parked out front. on most other days its a maybach

AssumptionLivid6879 t1_iuhoo9c wrote

Yes. A $150k F150 Raptor Mall Crawler is acceptable and manly, but a 75k Porsche/Audi/BMW means you’re a rich asshole.

lingophilia t1_iuha2uy wrote

F-ing Summer Street. People hire teenagers to hand out candy for them so they can go trick or treat with their kids. And probably all that candy will get given out.

DidDunMegasploded t1_iuf6l0j wrote

They probably live in a high-populated area with a lot of kiddos.

NGL though, I would spend $200 on candy. I'd get some right now, actually, but it's Sunday and I wanna relax. Belated Halloween candy when everything goes on sale, it is!

AssumptionLivid6879 t1_iuhpmzp wrote

I spent $300 dollars this year for Halloween in Bangor.

We get so many kids running through the neighborhood I like to overstock and give extra to the neighbors when the run out.

And I drive a ‘03 LL Bean Outback if that really matters

DidDunMegasploded t1_iui89vl wrote

$300? That's insane. But at least some of the candy is going to needy people, both kids and adults, lol.

AssumptionLivid6879 t1_iui8tyo wrote

We get about 1000-1800 kids a year. Most of Penobscot county and the surrounding metro will cart their kids to the neighborhood to have a good and safe experience

Elegant-Spirit-6686 t1_iufri9t wrote

Many of the homeowners in Bridgton spend hundreds on Halloween candy because the neighborhood the cops block off get carpet bombed with kids. They mostly dont have fancy vehicles in their driveways.

Oniriggers t1_iufs8g3 wrote

Was it at full price or on sale, cause that will be the difference for my next reply….

9wild9 t1_iufgwl9 wrote

Candyman Candyman Candyman

🍭

Purple-Two636 t1_iug4vww wrote

Didn’t know Cape Elizabeth had a Hanny.

Sugarloafer1991 t1_iufdy3w wrote

So it was full size candy bars right? That’s the only way to go if you have a McLaren.

Skippyandjif t1_iugvkbr wrote

I’m a short adult, think I can pass for a kid and go trick or treating at their place?? I bet they have like jumbo size Symphony bars or something 👀👀👀

TheDiceMan2 t1_iufncrx wrote

this is something i would see

zabbaadabbadoo t1_iui2lxb wrote

Legit was scrolling too fast and thought this was the Maine trees sub and thought, well, those munchies do hit hard sometimes

riefpirate t1_iuf43e4 wrote

Should have followed them lol !!

Easy-Progress8252 t1_iug52cq wrote

That math doesn’t work for me I paid $50 and I owe $14K.

Hertules t1_iui2dgl wrote

So like... 2 small bags?

Pleasant-One t1_iujd2lu wrote

Why is this such a surprise? Disgusting but then we will hear "Well, don't hate me bc I'm rich"...it's the pretentious, entitlement that gets under our skin, for the normal folks that couldn't afford an expensive college...and hey, you never know.You know what though? Piss them off, get an education, get a great job and help people when you can. Just be a great person and when you can afford the same thing...Don't forget where yiu came from

Guygan OP t1_iujdg52 wrote

> Why is this such a surprise?

Because I saw probably the only McLaren 720s registered in Maine, and possibly the most expensive registered street car in Maine?

Pleasant-One t1_iujeagr wrote

Ok, so bc I love cars.. fantastic cars...That is an awesome piece of car! 😎

MuForceShoelace t1_iuhigpx wrote

I feel like there is a big genre of complaining that is "I saw guy do X then get in Y car" and I never understand what the set up is that you are following people to their cars.

Guygan OP t1_iuhug0y wrote

We left the store at the same time at he parked near me.

OkCity1893 t1_iujrh7k wrote

That'll learn ya! We have a dude who cruises around in his Rolls here. Maybe he gives out silver dollars for Halloween.

c4v3man t1_iuf1lru wrote

McLarens are hella cheap to buy used compared to other exotics. Could be a 200k 720s for all you know. Would you make a post if you saw someone do the same thing in a new range rover? Depending on options, same price.

(And yes, over 60k on a car is crazy, but we all live different lives. )

−1

Guygan OP t1_iuf4bpe wrote

> Could be a 200k 720s for all you know

Well then. I guess that’s not unusual or abnormal then.

colinhd27 t1_iufb1n9 wrote

Oh shit ONLY 200k? Well they better be more financially responsible and return that candy. They can't afford that shit...

PrometheusOnLoud t1_iuf9sz9 wrote

Bunk or Bunkport?

−2

Guygan OP t1_iufa05a wrote

There’s no Hanny’s in KPT.

−1

PrometheusOnLoud t1_iufbspw wrote

I haven't been in years, never cared for either place that much myself. I'll take Market Basket over Hannaford's any day.