Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

HotConcrete t1_j7l3o2v wrote

Our population has only increased by ~8% since 1990. There was a 0.3% estimated decrease in population last year. The housing prices have gone up for a number of reasons but a rapidly growing population isn’t it.

boulevardofdef t1_j7lixoo wrote

I don't think an increasing number of people relocating to RI is mutually exclusive with an overall decline in population, though. Higher-income people have been moving here during the pandemic because now they can. I was already here, but I'm part of this trend. In 2021 I took a Boston-area job I never would have considered two years earlier because I was only going to be expected to come into the office every other week or so. If I had to commute every day, no way. That job, in turn, enabled me to pay way more for a house than I would have been able to otherwise. RI is ideally situated for this kind of migration.

Meanwhile, as those people move in and housing costs balloon, people who can't get those sorts of jobs may be forced out, and in higher numbers than the people who are coming in. And that's not taking into account an aging population (we're the ninth-oldest state) and birth rates (we have the fifth lowest).

LowTap1985 t1_j7lhx6u wrote

This. Rhode Islanders somehow think they are the epicenter of stuff like people migrating to the state and the housing/rental crisis probably exaggerates that shared consciousness. I am from southwest Florida and visited there during the holidays. Approximately 100 people move to Florida every day, and I’m not just talking about boomers. Covid changed lots of peoples decisions on where they want to live but Rhode Island is not growing much at all when it comes to the population. Anytime I fly into the state now it feels more like my sleepy Florida hometown and my hometown now feels like some mutated city.

thescimitar t1_j7o3no3 wrote

It would be interesting to know if there is data on housing availability in addition to the population numbers. For example, have the number of single family residences (homes, apartments, etc.) increased per capita over the years? Decreased?

Also - I'm not sure even how to measure it - what about dynamics where lower income home-owners/renters are displaced by higher income ones but the net population remains constant?

lagoongassoon t1_j7la5uv wrote

People working in Boston are getting priced out of living there, so Providence is the next logical move

N8710 t1_j7m1qe1 wrote

The new train station is Pawtucket is probably going to add to that too, especially if they decide to build more parking.

bigolenate t1_j7mt56n wrote

And redo more of those mill buildings around

allhailthehale t1_j7l4f11 wrote

People move. It's a healthy thing to have new people coming into the state. RI's population is growing pretty slowly compared to many other states.

What's not great is when you have a lot of income disparity between people moving in and people who already lived here. But that's not really the fault of people who are just looking for a place to go. Rising housing costs are not unique to RI-- the housing issue is absolutely a nationwide one.

Cash50911 t1_j7m66j9 wrote

It's not healthy if the people coming into the state are less skilled than the people leaving...

−13

Good-Expression-4433 t1_j7mhlcs wrote

But that's not the issue. Younger and "lower skilled," and less wealthy, people are leaving the state for school, jobs, and being priced out of both renting and homebuying while younger professionals moving from MA, CT, and NY are forcing costs to go up further, increasing the income divide.

allhailthehale t1_j7mbiqv wrote

I don't really think that's the issue here. The whole reason that this is affecting the housing market is that highly paid professionals are moving in with more purchasing power than current residents.

MonicaPVD t1_j7m8fb4 wrote

RI is bleeding low income families and seniors, and receiving lots of younger professionals.

Wide_Television_7074 t1_j7l8u5k wrote

Remember next time you see a housing development planned and you want to fight it…. we have a supply issue

nahrgs t1_j7l3id9 wrote

Remember when this was a thing?

https://www.wpri.com/news/politics/state-lawmaker-proposes-paying-people-to-move-to-rhode-island/

A global pandemic was definitely the easier route to attract people.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_j7lbrxc wrote

Might have been more effective but I wouldn’t call a pandemic “easier.”

imuniqueaf t1_j7n9724 wrote

A lot of people might not know this, but if you own property in RI it literally costs money to leave. The state will change some silly ass percentage of you close on a property and you have an out of state address.

−1

Status_Silver_5114 t1_j7nfs04 wrote

Show your work?

brianv83 t1_j7pffjg wrote

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE44/44-30/44-30-71.3.HTM#:~:text=(a)%20In%20a%20sale%20of,of%20the%20total%20payment%20to ... I recently closed on a home in RI and this was brought up, apparently if you sell and are no longer a RI resident they charge you 6% of the sale.

fishythepete t1_j7pmsko wrote

You are completely misinterpreting this. Yes, 6% of the sale is withheld. Just like federal taxes are withheld when you get a paycheck. When you file your taxes, if you do not owe capital gains or other taxes, it will be refunded.

It’s meant to keep retirees from cashing out and leaving the state, skipping out on capital gains tax.

Status_Silver_5114 t1_j7pg9sm wrote

So selling to move or had you already moved prior to sale? I mean just as I don’t shed a tear for non owner occupied landlords, I’d be hesitant to do so here as well tbh if you’re already somewhere else and it’s an investment like anything else. Do other states do this?

brianv83 t1_j7pigu8 wrote

Sold in Burrillville, bought in Scituate and was told if we weren't staying within the state we'd have to pay the 6% - family just sold a condo they owned in Smithfield as they retired to Nevada and had to pay the 6% ... no idea if other states do this

Status_Silver_5114 t1_j7pjq6j wrote

Isn’t that basically capital gains tax tho? Or at least some income tax (income Earned in the state)?

brianv83 t1_j7pkrz0 wrote

I don't know the tax code well enough but I believe that's a complete whole other thing at the federal level (not state) as it is the sale profit reported to the IRS and there are special rules regarding whether you owned it as a primary residence, how long you owned it, did you use the profit to purchase a new primary residence, etc. This was one of the things they asked at closing, how are you going to use the profit - for us it was for a down payment on a more expensive house with the rest going to renovations of our new primary residence which they said would basically render the capital gains moot.

NoRepresentative5593 t1_j7l9s7h wrote

My work connects me with new homeowners/residents and yes, they’re still coming. I see a lot of NY, NJ, CA and TX people moving in.

gradontripp t1_j7lf9u1 wrote

I’ve noticed what seems like a big uptick in the number of cars with NY plates driving around lately.

WickedDog310 t1_j7luwj2 wrote

And Tennessee, I see at least 4 Tennessee plates a week, I don't think I'd seen more than one or two a year before 2021.

barsoapguy t1_j86q3bu wrote

I can’t imagine why anyone would leave TN unless they’re getting priced out, that place is HOT .

Nashville has to be the city I’ve had the most fun in for the last decade. Way better than Vegas. Wish I could afford a home there and I don’t even care for country music all that much lol

tcevan t1_j7lpd8l wrote

Prob going to get downvoted for this, but I moved back during the pandemic & I plan on leaving again.

I get what people love about this state (I grew up here after all), so I’m not going to bash it. It’s just not for me, at least for where I am in my life/career.

Alternative-Bat-8453 t1_j7mcsji wrote

Where do you recommend?

tcevan t1_j7mfs1e wrote

Hard to say - I think it all depends on the whole “where you are” in life thing & I’m a single male in my late-20’s.

I think I’d appreciate RI more if I was settling down, but realistically I’d like to be back in a major US city where there’s a much better/bigger dating pool, activities, and professional opportunities while I’m still young.

Not to say RI doesn’t have those things, but having experienced them in other places, I can definitely attest that its different here & RI has more of a hometown vibe (if that makes sense?) lol

Alternative-Bat-8453 t1_j7mpcjh wrote

I’m also from Rhode Island and I lived in Philly for a bit before moving back. I loved it there!

tcevan t1_j7mwkqz wrote

Such a great place - definitely dicey in some areas, but really awesome vibe, there’s something for everybody, and it’s so convenient to get around.

Also I’m loyal to my Patriots, but this weekend… go birds 🦅

AidenPearceWatchDogs t1_j7mdzx0 wrote

Unfortunately Providence is literally just a suburb of Boston for most people moving in looking for a commuter rail connected urban community. They’re not moving because of RI

Gribblestix t1_j7mtudb wrote

I just read today in the Boston Globe that 24% of new RI residents are coming from MA. That’s huge.

neveradullmomenteh t1_j7n60hn wrote

Fact-based info: I run a business here that has alot to do with new residences.

I can personally attest to the fact that lots of people have moved here in the last 2 years, from all over the country. I'm constantly amazed by how many people come from CA, TX, NY, NJ and the midwest. Also, over the last five years, there has been a constant stream of people moving here from Boston and surrounding areas. The main reason they say they relocated was cost of living has become crazy there. People who rent and work there are now ready to buy homes but can't afford to live there. RI has recently added transportation options for commuters, making us a viable option for Boston workers.

Evdoggydog15 t1_j7lvcf3 wrote

The new homeowners on my street are a guy from Philly and a family from India. There's deff a variety of people relocating here outside of the typical Boston transplant. Most others around me are older, grew up in RI or some even lived a few blocks away growing up.

Lovelyone123- t1_j7lex93 wrote

You can say the say thing about CT. I moved from RI to CT. RI has beautiful beaches that could be part of the reason.

401jamin t1_j7n99nj wrote

I thought CT had an issue with an aging demographic?

Lovelyone123- t1_j7naesj wrote

Idk I live in a small town in the country.

401jamin t1_j7nb6l8 wrote

Thats pleasant. It always sounds odd hearing someone say CT and country but there is more rural areas than RI.

barsoapguy t1_j86pppr wrote

Gonna throw down a few more used fireballs then 😤

Good-Expression-4433 t1_j7meovz wrote

Imagine it's a case of younger less wealthy people leaving, the elderly leaving or dying, and the population being replaced with younger professionals from other blue state metro areas for the lower, relative, COL and work from home while still living in a blue state.

It's still on a decline and RI almost lost a House seat because of it.

drewtee t1_j7ll77o wrote

Bigger companies are expanding and hiring like crazy. I work for a French-owned company with 80,000+ employees and our office in Quonset has had at least 20 people relocate here with their families the last few years. Not just from other states, but countries like Brazil and Mexico as well.

leavingthecold t1_j7lcxgf wrote

It seems like we are getting an influx of people from MA ,NY, and possibly CT but people from these further regions I am unsure how and why

crotalis t1_j7n3f4x wrote

Not sure about RI in particular, but it seems like a lot of people I know are moving to the NE generally. Californians, Texans, and Floridians are moving out for climate (water and wildfires in TX and Cali) and political reasons.

riped_plums123 t1_j7mlzjz wrote

More people are coming back with remote work being an option.

fenix1230 t1_j7lfyjt wrote

If you look at other pages, people are moving elsewhere in general. And Rhode Island is so small, that when peolle ask, it seems like it’s a huge amount.

But look at Idaho, Arkansas, North Carolina, Texas, even Missouri and Oklahoma, there’s a lot of people asking.

nbreadcrumb t1_j7lr8aw wrote

If the bitter people on this sub welcome the newbies instead of hate on them, we’d all be happier overall. Just sayin’

bbpr120 t1_j7mtxv8 wrote

that's just crazy talk...

nbreadcrumb t1_j7mx5zz wrote

I know. It could feel the crazy as my fingers typed the words.

Ryfhoff t1_j7nsg2d wrote

Been over crowed IMO for years. It’s awful honestly.

miguelsanchez777 t1_j7lhzvt wrote

I’m from south texas and plan on moving here but not til I retired from my job

Reward_Antique t1_j7llky5 wrote

Buy now, if at all possible, Providence real estate is looking to rise again in 23 according to Forbes, it was a metro area thing, but I think nationals consider the whole state to be commuter reach to Providence.

Llfeofjerm t1_j7meuk8 wrote

I hear this a lot but I also know a lot of people who have left or who are leaving so I feel like it sort of balancing out but I can see how you think that with how housing is especially in Providence.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j7mine5 wrote

Some people are relocating to RI. Others already live in RI. Beyond that, you've got some people who are relocating from RI. Some people even die, but there's also people being born pretty much every day.

thentangler t1_j7ntcc8 wrote

Yeah, MA is just ridiculously expensive… but I can already see the price creep starting in RI

UsedCollection5830 t1_j7p6hmu wrote

😂😂😂😂😂😂 I said it ri the new Atlanta shit is weird out of all places

Familiar_Ad1485 t1_j7mldhr wrote

I think you’re confusing Rhode Island with Florida

Jroiiia423 t1_j7pcs5v wrote

Lots of people moving to Florida sounds terrible to me

campmoreworryless t1_j7pc1ft wrote

When I moved to RI in 2017 it wasn’t really by choice. If you don’t make upwards of 200k a year and can afford a 600k+ home there’s really nothing attractive about living here.

jules13131382 t1_j7qyn5l wrote

Haha my coworker just bought a house in Rhode Island. He works in Connecticut though.

theironthroneismine t1_j7mpuu9 wrote

I moved here from Florida in July but plan to leave this July

RI hasn’t really been my cup of tea although I do like parts of Mass

I think what you’re commenting on is a relatively small influx of young professionals- some of whom are commuting to Boston

boingochoingo OP t1_j7l2ded wrote

I hear ya...I don't know how people get into a house these days, with a high borrowing rate/ inflated prices.

−14

ThatIs1TastyBurger t1_j7la66y wrote

You forgot to change your account…

boingochoingo OP t1_j7ld291 wrote

No I didn't

−5

Theo_dore229 t1_j7lhidg wrote

Then who do you think you were responding to? Most people don’t respond to their own posts saying “I hear ya.” 😂

Dabsforme77 t1_j7lb3y0 wrote

States full. Kindly turn back.

−15

huh_phd t1_j7l2t2k wrote

We're full. They should go to western Massachusetts. There's space there

−26

Coincel_pro t1_j7lc692 wrote

When are you giving your property to the Narragansett tribe?

huh_phd t1_j7lca4w wrote

I dont speak with incels

−12

Sarcofaygo t1_j7lej5x wrote

So that's a no

huh_phd t1_j7len2b wrote

Yeah don't see how it's relevant

−6

Coincel_pro t1_j7lf4nk wrote

The irony of telling out of staters to go elsewhere considering who the land we live on actually belonged to.

huh_phd t1_j7lfb4t wrote

Y'all cannot take a joke. Sorry for not providing an answer to a rhetorical question using the appropriate color crayons br0

−5

MuckFike69420 t1_j7l1u5w wrote

Yeah our housing market is ruined by people out of state. It sucks, every time I read a "relocating to RI tehehe" in this sub it makes me want to bash someone. All I want is to buy a damn home and stop wasting money renting.

−29

r0k0v t1_j7l700p wrote

Yeah I mean technically our housing market is ruined by out of state , but it isn’t because of people moving from Texas or Tennessee or the rest of the country. Most of the price increases in RI are a downstream effect of the housing costs in Mass and people moving to RI.

This is really more of a supply problem than a demand problem. If Mass wasn’t full of wealthy nimby suburbs located next to major cities/employment centers we wouldn’t have nearly as much of a problem in RI.

So I agree with you, but let’s be specific in pointing out that this is mostly Massachusetts’ fault. The same scale/change in price has been seen in Taunton, Fall River, Worcester, haverhill, and other old industrial cities because there is a massive mismatch between where employment is and where affordable housing is.

MuckFike69420 t1_j7lap3v wrote

I'd agree with you but while most are from Mass, relatively wealthy people are flocking here in droves from all over and eating up housing where I live. Some are not buying but renting which is just as big of an issue. I met a new family from Texas and one from north Carolina that moved into my apartment building this past week.

ghogan1010 t1_j7l3pxu wrote

You working with an agent?

MuckFike69420 t1_j7l4eod wrote

I'm working to save my pennies and find somewhere to put myself and my borderline poverty, aging parents. Have not done anything formal with an agent.

Uncle_Tony96 t1_j7l8sze wrote

Unpopular opinion according to the downvotes but I 100% agree with you. People will complain about the housing market but then in the same breath welcome all these people with open arms. I was born here, all my family and friends live here, and I’m fighting for my life just to stay here. Go back to wherever youre from please

−11