Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Material_Positive t1_j5xgxsi wrote

"Where are you from?"

"Spokane, Washington."

"Have you been to the White House?"

Stabbymcappleton t1_j5xuzo1 wrote

I was in a backwoods bar in central Pennsylvania. The woman running barkeep asked where I was from. I told her “Up near Seattle.” She said Oh, my dad took me to the Spokane World’s Fair!
About 3 minutes later, I took a leak.
When I returned to my barstool, my wife whispered “WE NEED TO GET OUT NOW!!”
We snuck out the back and stomped through 2ft deep snow through the woods to run off. Turns out, the local hick population jumped all over her the minute I got up to piss. Fuck Appalachia.

Epicurus0319 t1_j5ybzz2 wrote

This whole west-coast-city-bashing thing is really getting out of hand

Stabbymcappleton t1_j61tx9a wrote

Anything west of Chicago, they think we live in log cabins and teepees.

MykeTheVet2 t1_j64ymwn wrote

If you’re a football fan, they remind you constantly.

Epicurus0319 t1_j6j3k7c wrote

Yeah, it’s just not fair that the entire Pacific Northwest has got only one NFL team (a mid one sadly) to support. Like, even Portland has the Trail Blazers basketball team (Seattle has women’s and UW and SeattleU have college basketball, but no NBA) but no football team- or Boise, or Spokane. Now college football on the other hand… we’ve got four teams that are all rivals of each other (Washington Huskies in Seattle, Oregon Ducks in Eugene, Washington State Cougars in eastern WA and Oregon State Beavers in Corvallis) and the Idaho Vandals as well, just across the state line from WSU. And UW and Washington state aren’t all that bad either.

MykeTheVet2 t1_j64ykxp wrote

🤣🤣🤣🤣 glad you made it out safe though

Eat_Carbs_OD t1_j5yxza4 wrote

>"Have you been to the White House?"

I've never past many white houses.

passporttohell t1_j5yopb0 wrote

How about Australians who see WA and automatically think Western Australia? Or when the story is about Western Australia and Washingtonisns think it's about them?

Nixx_Mazda OP t1_j5yprqj wrote

Yes that gets me too.

Also SEA makes me think Seattle, not South East Asia.

tdogg241 t1_j5yryjo wrote

I would see SEA and assume it was news about the airport, lol.

thairishguy t1_j5z6vol wrote

*the South East Asian community in Seattle has been comedically dealing with this for years.

[deleted] t1_j5ynaja wrote

[deleted]

TallGuyGreg13 t1_j5z3lmw wrote

Yeah, I'm from the Tri-Cities, and explaining to people that I'm from "the desert part of Washington" has always gotten so many confused looks.

Tainticle t1_j60fg3z wrote

Not taking aim at you, promise. This is something I've only found recently and it bugs me personally.

'Tri-Cities'. Holy F. 'Tri-Cities' is such an overused thing that if you used that phrase, you absolutely should get confused looks. In the context of the forum, your use of the phrase makes sense, but like a lot of the other comments I definitely have to use extra brain power to figure out where the hell people are talking are talking about.

I just found out my hometown in California is part of a 'Tri-Cities'...thing. In LA county. Does that even count? Then...there's a second Tri-Cities in LA county? This one was bigger...and there's apparently a number of them in California, and a few larger ones out East. I remember one up North near St. Louis or something (this was the first time I'd heard of the phrase, so I assumed it was the first one? I have no clue.)

Nowadays, I think that phrase is just used for gatekeeping. Just tell me the city name or the region name, thx!

TallGuyGreg13 t1_j60gamr wrote

I get what you mean. I'm pretty sure there's only one Tri-Cities, WA. Or, only one that the general population would know. And since this is a Washington subreddit, that's why I threw that out there. But yes, people in Washington generally know that Tri-Cities is a specific place in Southeast Washington.

Quiet-Context_ t1_j61ndz2 wrote

I refuse to say I'm from Seattle. I have friends who say this so they don't have to explain where they're from. It irks me. Also, Seattle isn't the only city in Washington, which is why it annoys me when I say I'm from Washington and people immediately respond with Seattle.

Stabbymcappleton t1_j5xngnk wrote

Want something to be extra fucked with? There’s a Tahoma neighborhood in Washington DC. It’s named after Mt Rainier. It was named by a bunch of Jesus freaks that thought they were as close to heaven as the peak of Mt Rainier. It was the site of their HQ.
So yeah, there’s a Tahoma, Washington, DC.

shanem t1_j5yolvw wrote

It's Takoma and having recently moved Seattle -> DC it's weirdo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takoma_(Washington,_D.C.)

Though to be fair Rainier never actually visited the PNW, it was named by Vancouver who had a bromance for him

Wiki: The current name was given by George Vancouver, who named it in honor of his friend, Rear Admiral Peter Rainier.

Stabbymcappleton t1_j62gz6m wrote

Rainier never even visited North America. Cap’n Vancouver just wanted to kiss his bosses’ asses so he named everything after them. Hence, “Cape Flattery.”

BenCL648 t1_j6068xm wrote

Not to mention that there’s also a Bellevue and Capitol Hill in D.C.

PieNearby7545 t1_j5xj969 wrote

Fun fact: they were originally going to name the state Columbia but were concerned people would confuse that with the “district of Columbia”

[deleted] t1_j5xp0xx wrote

Who’s the idiot on the naming committee who decided that?

Nixx_Mazda OP t1_j5yjil8 wrote

'Washington, District of Columbia' is such a weird, annoying name.

_former_self t1_j5xjbv0 wrote

I hate clarifying that I live in the state, not DC. Morons.

kR4in t1_j5xkq3o wrote

When I was little I told a kid I lived in Washington and he's like, "the president lives there!"

EtherPhreak t1_j5xr8xl wrote

Anyone else get annoyed when this post comes up again? Also we have it twofold, being Vancouver, Washington.

ribrien t1_j60fu6g wrote

Remember those dingalings who were so proud they found hotels in Vancouver WA for the Winter Olympics in BC

jpd_phd t1_j5xcavy wrote

I mean, the district did have that name many decades before the state did.

WrongOnSoManyBevels t1_j5yxthn wrote

I was told growing up that when breaking off from Oregon they originally were going to call the new territory Columbia, but thought that it would be confusing because DC at the time was known as the District of Columbia.

shanem t1_j5yo7rb wrote

I just moved Seattle -> DC and it really messed with me all around.

My city not my state is now Washington.

There's a Washingtonian magazine for here.

Though in a weird way it makes the transition a little easier to see the word everywhere.

AnyBowl8 t1_j5z4lsk wrote

Lol, yes, and growing up in Seattle I was very confused by the Cap Hill references.

AJEDIWITHNONAME t1_j5xzv96 wrote

Try leaving over seas and explaining that they are not the same place.

Epicurus0319 t1_j5yc6mm wrote

I mean Seattle seems to be a popular destination for international tourism too. I’m studying in Spain rn, many people I’ve met who can speak English have said they’ve been there and liked it (minus the weather ofc)

EdgaristheDog t1_j5yy6gp wrote

Lol when we were in Italy, Italians would ask where we were from. We would say Spokane Washington. They would look at us confused. So then we would say “a few hours from Seattle” and they would go “oh, where greys anatomy is!!” I was like yep?? This happened multiple times in various cities in Italy and I thought it was really strange that that was what Seattle was known for not Amazon, Microsoft, etc, but grey’s anatomy. Lol it must be a popular show over there I guess.

espresso-yourself t1_j600w5g wrote

When I lived in Spain, I used to have to explain that I was from Oregon - above California, below Seattle, in a place a lot like Galicia hahaha Now I can just tell people Washington, I guess, since I had to move for work

Epicurus0319 t1_j5z65ct wrote

In my college on the east coast not a single person knew where Microsoft is located, let alone what Redmond is

AJEDIWITHNONAME t1_j5yh6bs wrote

I live in Japan though! You’d think with Amazon, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Boeing we’d be better known. I jump to Ichiro now usually and they have a better idea but are still a little confused.

KittyTitties666 t1_j60d51r wrote

Sadly, sometimes clarifying with, "No, the state. You know, grunge music? The Space Needle?" has helped me

AdventureBum t1_j5ziyx2 wrote

Crazy thing is we were almost named Columbia, but that was deemed to be too similar to the District of Columbia so we went with Washington instead. Task failed successfully.

mommaletitbe t1_j5xa6r5 wrote

Yaaaaazzzzz! But I'm really irritated when I hear Warshington!

tankmode t1_j5ysag9 wrote

they originally wanted to name the state Columbia (its next to British Columbia and has that river of the same name) but then they changed it to Washington because they thought that Columbia was too easily confused with the District of Columbia

Jordaneer t1_j6c3276 wrote

Yep, that definitely worked out WAY better with it named as Washington now...

/s

Eat_Carbs_OD t1_j5yxwu8 wrote

When I say Washington .. I add state at the end.

Calling__Elvis t1_j5xloyj wrote

It's more the other way around. I get annoyed when people say "Washington State".

BarnabyWoods t1_j5z5va7 wrote

Well, Washington D.C. was named in 1801, while Washington State wasn't named until 1889. So the men who chose to name this state for George Washington should have known it was a recipe for endless confusion. Maybe they should have named the state Tahoma, the indigenous name for Mt. Rainier. It means "mother of waters", which is a very nice image.

SkrillaSavinMama t1_j60ntvz wrote

I would actually like Tahoma for the name. How do we change this lol because I want to hear people say I’m from Yakima, Tahoma or Tacoma, Tahoma.

Do you know how many non-WA people cannot say Puyallup, Yakima, Spokane, Tacoma. my favorite is Took-Weela (Tukwila). I would love to hear Tahoma pronounced after it 😂

Sturnella2017 t1_j5ze6vc wrote

“Where are you from?”

“Seattle, Washington”

“Is that Washington state or DC?”

jay-ace92 t1_j627d7n wrote

The news could use D.C. or W.D.C as an abbreviation, which I am surprised hasn't caught on. Personally, I use D.C. for the U.S. capital and Washington for our state.

stickytuna t1_j5yv8uc wrote

I’m originally from New York, where DC was always Washington or Washington, DC, and the state was always Washington State.

WomenAreFemaleWhat t1_j5yy6gz wrote

Which makes no sense. DC is shorter to say to get the point across. Washington is shorter to say than Washington state to get the point across. Maybe I should start adding state to every states name so people hear how ridiculous is sounds to say something like Texas State. Sounds more like a university. We have one we call Washington state.

schumichick1963 t1_j5zc8r1 wrote

I lived in upstate New York, about an hour train ride north of the city

When I say moved here from New York, others immediately default to the city.

There is a lot more to New York than the city. 😸

ThurstonHowell3rd t1_j5zw5r8 wrote

Two decades ago I'd tell people, "I'm from Washington - the one with all the trees, not the Bushes."

tverofvulcan t1_j603yel wrote

When I was a child I used to think that whenever the news said Washington, I thought they met our state.

SparklyRoniPony t1_j607t9n wrote

It’s even more annoying when someone just says “Vancouver” instead of specifying they mean the Vancouver in Canada. The Vancouver here has been around decades longer.

Xeroeffingcell32 t1_j60i0ji wrote

The news should say "in the nations capitol today..."

marxistdan t1_j62o1pd wrote

I hate when people from D.C. refer to themselves as Washingtonians. No. We are the Washingtonians, they are the District of Columbians.

zitfarmer t1_j5ysqrq wrote

My news app does this.

Rocketgirl8097 t1_j5z7npz wrote

Not at all. You can tell what is meant by the context.

DarthNutSak t1_j5zlx2x wrote

Even worse in North Carolina, tell people I’m from Washington and they ask if I mean the city or DC

BathrobeMagus t1_j5zww71 wrote

IIRC - The story goes that originally Washington State was going to be named Columbia, as the Columbia river denoted the Southern border. Canada was like "yeah, that makes sense, we'll name our province above the U.S. Columbia "British Columbia."

But then the people from the U.S. side were concerned that people would mix up the state of Columbia with the District of Columbia (D.C.). So they decided to ditch Columbia and go with Washington. But then for some reason I don't remember the District of Columbia started calling itself Washington District of Columbia, which became Washington D.C. Leaving the situation just as confusing as what the Washingtonians were trying to avoid in the first place. With Canada saying "Well damn, now we have an entire province named British Columbia that is neither British nor part of Columbia".

no_nonsense_206 t1_j60f1bc wrote

The other one is L.A. versus LA c'mon people!

SyrupLivid9118 t1_j60npwy wrote

We definitely should consider a name change

Quiet-Context_ t1_j61n36a wrote

Major pet peeve. Person: where you from? Me: Washington Person? State or DC? Me: state

I hate clarifying that it's Washington state. I now start conversations with, I'm from the west coast, Washington.

curtmandu t1_j61samo wrote

I’ve gotten VERY good at enunciating “Vancouver, NOT BC. Washington, not D.C.” when asked where I live lol.

Capable_Nature_644 t1_j61yyql wrote

Yes. This is one issue when traveling. Which is why you need to specify "wa state"

kasiatrish t1_j64u5ez wrote

All the time. I hate when I get asked "Which Washington?" There's only one.

MykeTheVet2 t1_j64yfqd wrote

Lmao I just heard every Washingtonion sigh.

“Where from bro?”

Just say “Seattle.” I know most of us don’t want to, but most east coasters think Seattle is a state.

#Tacoma #253

MelvinDiggs t1_j5xcihw wrote

No, because the District of Columbia is the more famous Washington. ✨

−11