Submitted by Fearless-Week9498 t3_11acla0 in jerseycity

I'm not from around here and was considering moving to downtown near 2nd & Monmouth - is it generally safe around there? Is the walk to and from Grove St safe? And does it seems to be an area thats improving or getting worse?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mad_dog_94 t1_j9r70fh wrote

Nah the ghost of peter Stuyvesant haunts that area and kills passerbys because we keep moving his statue it's very dangerous/s (hopefully obviously)

Downtown is one of the safest areas of the city. Tbh if you mind your business every neighborhood is fine (I know it comes off as rude but I mean this sincerely this city is pretty safe)

kittyglitther t1_j9r76sd wrote

It's pretty bad, someone might make fun of you for not knowing about $40 potato chips.

HobokenJ t1_j9r89sk wrote

Idiot drivers are the only dangerous element in DTJC.

Edit: Oh, and the dregs who man the 911 dispatch.

Rogue-Journalist t1_j9r9rsz wrote

The biggest threats are reckless bike delivery guys and self righteous geese.

whybother5000 t1_j9ral11 wrote

Risks are primarily automotive in nature. And also an elevated risk of cultural indifference from your Manhattan-based acquaintances.

Your true friends will still come visit you.

MarieSkiis t1_j9rcha9 wrote

There are approx 2 murders/year in downtown JC: usually landlord / tenant disputes of lover’s quarrels gone wrong. If we get them both over in January we can all sit back and relax for the rest of the year. It’s as safe as can be - though just remember that you’re in a city. All will be good.

m_pops t1_j9rcnlk wrote

Used to live right there. Totally safe and fine. About a 12 minute walk to the Grove St. PATH.

Did get hit by a car on 2nd and Newark while walking once; but that was like, 5 years ago. Not bad, but a nice bruise on the knee. Anyway, that was a long time ago. You’re good.

Cuprunnethover2022 t1_j9rgqlt wrote

Great area, very bad for pedestrians....people drive like total lunatics. Lock your doors, don't walk home alone at 4 a.m. and you'll be just fine. Just FYI: the homes in that area sell for millions of dollars. It's not on the way up, it IS up.

PsychologicalAd1153 t1_j9s254d wrote

Specifically on 2nd and Monmouth: If you're crossing Monmouth, just wait until both traffic lights turn red because one turns red while the other remains green.

1st street between Coles and Monmouth has poor street lighting at night, tho. Otherwise, fine.

spypol t1_j9s62x0 wrote

What happens when you get hit by a car, but it’s not enough to go to the hospital? Do you exchange insurance information? Do you sue the driver? Do you call the police?

It feels like they should not drive away with peace of mind.

m_pops t1_j9t2973 wrote

Well, in my specific situation, the driver was really young. I was a little confused as to what happened, but was fine when I got up. We talked for a bit. She cried a lot. Was super apologetic. Didn’t think it was necessary to take it any further. Just hope she never got into another accident again.

DSM201 t1_j9tbpay wrote

That intersection sucks but it’s definitely quiet and safe.

Laraujo31 t1_j9tpcgz wrote

That area is fine. If you have a car, parking will be a huge PIA though.

fart67346246 t1_j9v3rad wrote

I have lived nearby with my family for the last 3 years and consider it rather safe. It’s still an urban area so just be aware of your surroundings. It’s an 11min walk to groove street path. I prefer to walk on side streets as it’s more peaceful than Newark ave.

Having lived downtown for 8 years, this is a part of downtown that is still “improving.” There are lot of condos going up that are leading to more storefronts and restaurants. There are a number of permanent families with young kids in the area. Other areas of dtjc feels like a short-term stop for young families. Gentrification has its positive and negatives, but this area does have a sense of community. The traffic could be bad on some of the streets at rush hour, I would suggest checking it out on Fridays around 5 to see if it bothers you.