Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SliceProfessional461 t1_j2gvrnv wrote

No, it’s not. It’s abnormal. We do get brief warmups into the 50s with rain a few times a winter, but multiple days of warmth and especially warmth with sun like yesterday is just weird.

movdqa t1_j2gx1hf wrote

This isn't normal. Last week was more normal.

RedditSkippy t1_j2h05xd wrote

It’s usually absolutely freezing on NYE. This is not normal.

jennybens821 t1_j2h2dm9 wrote

No, but you’ll learn to expect the unexpected in terms of weather around here, so also yes?

Gold_Reindeer OP t1_j2h2ggb wrote

So basically it’s abnormal but it’s normal for it to be abnormal

jennybens821 t1_j2h2snp wrote

Precisely. Download a good weather app and get in the habit of checking it before you go out.

Gold_Reindeer OP t1_j2h3bll wrote

Any recommended ones the ones I used back in Florida are horribly inaccurate now

1000thusername t1_j2h73nw wrote

Use one of the Boston news station ones. While their temp forecasts on the numbers-only screens generally draw from similar sources, we have a lot of nuance here, especially when it comes to snowfall or where is going to get storms and where won’t that you will want and which the national weather apps don’t provide. Also, the Boston ones take into account proximity to ocean lowering or radiating temperatures and affecting snowfall where the national apps just throw one temperature out for the entire region. (For example, it can easily be 90+ in central MA and 70-75 in Rockport and Gloucester…)

HeyaShinyObject t1_j2i0hx8 wrote

There's an app called eWeather that gives regional forecasts for Southern New England (he's based in CT, but discusses the whole reagion. You'll get the nuance that is often missing from the TV station forecasts, but not as much detail on specific locations.

Square-Dragonfruit76 t1_j2idtbj wrote

All weather apps and stations get most of their data from the government. Meaning that you'll pretty much get the same predictions no matter what. Some places just have way more predictable weather than others. In Chicago, it is very difficult to predict the weather. But in Boston it is much easier.

upnarms285 t1_j2l0mck wrote

Follow “the New England weather guy” if you’re on FB - he’s great (and doesn’t dramatize the forecast).

friedlock68 t1_j2htawx wrote

It's not normal to be this abnormal. Multiple days in the mid to high 50s is not normal for NE. This is climate change.

madtho t1_j2h1bh2 wrote

Weird, but the new normal.

DaveDurant t1_j2hawxd wrote

It'll probably be like -25 in a week or two..

Crooks123 t1_j2jcej2 wrote

New England is famous for quickly shifting weather, but this warmth is definitely not normal and as people have said quite concerning. We’ll see what happens in January and February 😬

itallendsintears t1_j2hydlc wrote

It’s extremely abnormal. People seem to be happy about it, weirdly.

sardaukarma t1_j2heaqm wrote

it'll be the coldest winter for the rest of your life.*

​

*on average.

Beck316 t1_j2iip04 wrote

The last few years it seems the really consistently cold weather happens later in the season. Late snow storms and icy weather have totally screwed up the high school spring sports schedules.

somegridplayer t1_j2jt6vs wrote

It wouldn't say it's completely normal, but we didn't crack the top 10 new years day high temps.

flockofseagulls42 t1_j2hwtsn wrote

New Egland weather has ups and downs. People will cry the sky is falling either way up here.

There is a lot of " back in my day " speak in Mass. Just enjoy it before the cold and snow hammers the region again.

Balsac_is_Daddy t1_j2iwal9 wrote

You joke, but climate change and global warming are very real and we are seeing the effects.

DangleBopp t1_j2h5jh8 wrote

Massachusetts has a very delayed weather pattern. Expect blizzards in february

Sufficient-Walk-4502 t1_j2h6efn wrote

I used to be playing hockey on ponds in early December. Am I super old at 37?

DangleBopp t1_j2h6lv8 wrote

Nah, I'm 23 and I'm the same. The seasons shifted super quickly

valley_G t1_j2jbtgp wrote

Nope. Usually it's the complete opposite. Very concerning stuff actually

mslashandrajohnson t1_j2jgsf1 wrote

A reprieve like what we have today is always followed by something like that Nemo storm.

At least that has been my experience in Massachusetts.

1000thusername t1_j2h6uzq wrote

It happens every once in a while. There’s usually a mid-winter “thaw” for a few days before the real shit hits the fan

drjoker83 t1_j2hvhbn wrote

It is very odd. But now expect to be hit hard with rain and snow this how it usually goes when the new year comes in like this come February we probably have two feet of snow.

pep_c_queen t1_j2i9lqa wrote

The plants are also confused about the weather. My tulips are sprouting and a few weeks ago some of the forsythia bloomed. These both typically happen after the winter ends.

t_11 t1_j2irt68 wrote

No the new normal. As much as complaining about the weather is in the region’s DNA, winters have gotten progressively warmer in the past 7 to 8 years.

MuffinMan6938 t1_j2jkm3v wrote

Whenever this happens we get a huge blizzard not to long after watch.

Potato_Octopi t1_j2kl04f wrote

Usually colder, it's another la Nina year or something.

Windarizona t1_j2kzuyc wrote

february will be crazy cold

rareeagle t1_j2l3wyq wrote

Better learn how to layer, khed

Nonsheeple_Funnyluv t1_j2l9g2q wrote

Unpredictable in a day to day basis is normal. But have no fear, it is just the beginning of winter. Looks like you need to just wait about five days.

StrangerInPerson t1_j2l9o0t wrote

No, no, no. This weather is fucked and i want y’all to know.

sporky211 t1_j2ijuup wrote

That's New England for you one day 50 and sunny the next 30 and cloudy. Hell, it could even be 60 when you wake up but come the time you go to bed its 15 degrees out.

sweata_weatha t1_j2jp40u wrote

I’m gonna go ahead and blame you then

ParkingLavishness704 t1_j2jsqpr wrote

The weather being normal in MA is never normal. Snows in summer, hot in winter sometimes.

unapologetikg t1_j2kv4mt wrote

This warm weather right now is abnormal but I’m not complaining lol

11BMasshole t1_j2gzt3r wrote

Not that out of the ordinary, the next two and a half months will be cold though.

GrimeyPipes27 t1_j2ikkt7 wrote

It's a bit more extreme than normal but, this is the new normal.