Submitted by GraniteGeekNH t3_zay0vj in newhampshire

New Hampshire redditors, do you have any opinion about the possibility that NH may no longer be the first presidential primary state? (Biden and the DNC want to make South Carolina first, then NH and Nevada together, then Georgia then Michigan. They would ditch caucuses like the one in Iowa.)

If you have lived here during at least one such primary, would you miss the attention? Be glad it was gone? Couldn't care less either way?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Glares t1_iyogbn0 wrote

I wouldn't mind if everyone voted on the same day and no state had greater influence, though apparently that's not an option.

NewPhoenix77 t1_iyogxli wrote

This. Unfortunately, many voters want to be on the winning side more than they want to vote for the best candidates. If it’s all on the same day, there is no “influence”.

crourke13 t1_iyoilsf wrote

I wish for this too. But the argument against is that candidates will not be able to campaign in nearly as many places. By spreading the primaries out, candidates can shift their focus over time.

NewPhoenix77 t1_iyojbpl wrote

Makes sense. I do feel bad for anyone voting after Super Tuesday. Likely they are voting for someone who is their second or third choice.

Glares t1_iyojwe9 wrote

Counterpoint: Candidates go where there are tight races. They are not using the extra time to speak to every American in all areas, they are going to Florida for the 25th time because that may help them win.

crourke13 t1_iyom6aq wrote

True. I guess that is the difference between theory and practice. I posted what was intended to happen. Your counterpoint is what actually happens.

dj_narwhal t1_iyphwhj wrote

There is too much money to be made advertising in each state when they stagger the primaries, and it gives the DNC/RNC a chance to meddle when things are not going their way.

slayermcb t1_iyoqjsm wrote

The state gets a shit ton of money from all the political tourism so yes, I would care. Outside of the economics of it? It does mean we get national attention and support for issues like we did with the opioid epidemic. (Not that's its over) so yes. I like that too.

Clock-Full t1_iyootld wrote

The less the rest of the United States knows about us the better. Leave us the fuck alone.

FloozyFoot t1_iyop8tl wrote

This is the most New Hampshire thing I've ever seen in this sub. Take my upvote.

AuthorSnow t1_iyp4vk0 wrote

Exactly. Louder for everyone who doesn’t understand that

−2

Real_Nemesis t1_iyorjav wrote

The primary helps the economy, so there’s real impact.

Some highlights from a 2000 primary study:

Media and visitor spending: $71 million Hotel/Restaurant sales: $43 million Transportation/Commuting-related: $33 million

CocoTheElder t1_iyosxt8 wrote

That's real money. And that's from 2020?? Plus the millions wmur gets in ads!

nullcompany t1_iys3yzm wrote

We subsidize these industries by receiving constant unsolicited advertising: our streets are littered with posters, our phones called 15 hours per day, text messages beyond, and emails galore.

But if I suggest that other industries should get the same benefit - supermarket chains, let's say - we should support our supermarket chains by taking a few extra calls per day, maybe 10 or 15 texts and 20 emails daily, and a few extra signs on the side of the road - nah, that's as equally unpopular.

I just wish someone could explain why it's different to me.

RiderstotheSea t1_iyoam65 wrote

Yes, it would be a huge economic blow to the state. Hotels, restaurant, local tv stations, local radio stations, local colleges, all would lose a massive economic driver.

Moreover, NH is one of the most educated electorates in the country and far less machine-controlled than a state like SC.

Lusciousveggie t1_iyoemz8 wrote

Your latter comment is a good point.

If the SC is first, Clyburn and his party infrastructure can heavily influence the vote there. There is no equivalent in NH (thankfully), which the DNC does not like.

Edit:

The DNC gets to package SC being first as being for equity, while they get to covertly exert influence on the first primary. I would be less distrusting if they picked another state, such as Georgia.

Additionally, the primary calendar just looks like Biden's political infrastructure (wonder why he's pushing for Michigan, ehh?). If Biden has a contested nomination, he'd love to have the calendar in his favor

[deleted] t1_iys0ess wrote

[removed]

RiderstotheSea t1_iys0v5g wrote

All your harassment is doing is proving you’re the problem.

Mods please ban this user they’re following me around from community to community harassing me.

Ok_Nobody4967 t1_iyoglca wrote

Having the first primary provides income to the state. Hotels and restaurants as well as state taxes benefit from campaigns going through the state. I think it would be a great loss for our state.

TimmTimm t1_iyrapiz wrote

I always see people bring up the economic impact of losing the first primary, but in my mind, if this state is so economically dependent on an event that happens once every four years, there might be bigger issues to figure out.

TutenWelch t1_iyrvpgh wrote

For that matter, is spending equally high in every election year? There's a big difference in noise and media attention between an election year like 2000 or 2016 and an election year like 1984 or 2004. I assume that's reflected in the amount of spending (if nothing else, you simply have fewer big-pocketed candidates in the mix when a popular incumbent is running).

I'm definitely not an expert. Maybe it really does have a huge impact. But listing a few figures from a major primary season doesn't make that case.

Nowhere_X_Anywhere t1_iyoh52a wrote

I don't mind, with all the money in politics now. NH used to help give more moderate candidates, of either party, a bump. Nowadays the money overrides the moderating force of the NH primary.

I mean shit, you literally have the opposing party now spending more to get their preferred challenger out of a primary than said challenger could even raise on their own.

The donor class will give us who we are going to get to choose from, and the timing of primaries is now all about appeasing donors in an effort to get them to give/bundle more or to create their own PAC to get in a bidding contest over when their preferred state can be on the primary calendar.

Maybe moving out of the primary spotlight will allow a few more New Hampshirites remember we are neighbors, friends, and family first and partisan operatives promoting a political gang affiliation second.

[deleted] t1_iypf2oo wrote

When I was in first grade we all put our heads down on the desk when taking a vote up or down with our thumbs so that we wouldn't be influenced by others.

So, since first grade I've always maintained that all states should vote at the same time. It's the only fair way. We have candidates dropping out before the primaries are even done.

Can you imagine if a primary was being established for the first time today? Hey, let's make it an unfair hodge podge where this state goes first and the others pop up all on different days. Everybody would scream.

The general election is held on one day, so too can the primaries.

Fairness is easy once we get past the folks who want unfairness.

DeerFlyHater t1_iyodzob wrote

To put a practical spin on it, how much would the state lose in restaurant tax revenue from losing this circus?

I'm not in the restaurant/bar industry, but how much revenue, wages, and tips would those folks lose?

That's my primary concern with losing it. I hate politics and politicians, but bringing the circus to town does have some benefit.

itsMalarky t1_iyp8n5p wrote

No. "We've been doing it for a century " isn't a good reason to KEEP doing anything. EVER

New Hampshire is NOT representative of the entire country and has no reason to be "first"

kahllerdady t1_iypm7bj wrote

What? No nationwide primetime interviews with Cirus Earflaphat at The Red Arrow about the border crisis and the property taxes going up and how there used to be fewer beer brands at the store until them flatlanders moved north and ruined it all?

I’m good with a state less demonstrably unsuited to national politics having a go.

GreatGrandaddyPurp t1_iyr5qtd wrote

Unsuited how? What state would do better? I don't think its important but your critique makes it seem like you just hate NH. You can find the types of people you're describing in all 50 states.

uslereddit t1_iyq4wwf wrote

I'd care if NH was being pushed super far down the list but under the DNC/Biden plan we'd only be second by three days and b/c of the history and midnight voting we'd still get a lot of attention.

Iowa always went before us anyway and nobody cared because of the superficial caucus vs. primary difference. This really doesn't change much.

I just hope our elected officials don't waste their time fighting this when there's real work to be done. It's a good deal, change the law if you have to, but don't spend the next 15 months making things harder on the rest of the country just because the Iowa caucus got swapped for the SC primary.

sound_of_apocalypto t1_iyqirnp wrote

I’m kind of ambivalent on this subject, but I’d suggest several people commenting here check out the NHPR podcast “Stranglehold” to better understand the importance of thế NH primary.

GraniteGeekNH OP t1_iyqv4c1 wrote

valleyman02 t1_iyrpu17 wrote

New Hampshire is one of the handful of states where Democrats actually get more votes. but Republicans control the state through gerrymandering. That statewide races other than the governor go to Democrats. But the state is gerrymandered enough so that even with fewer votes still control the state House and Senate.

SirFritzWetherbee t1_iyp7g21 wrote

When I heard that Biden proposed changing this order; I assumed it was influenced in part by him performing poorly here and James Clyburne co-signing him to where everything turned around. Feels like he's paying back that favor.

Obviously biased as a NH resident, but I like it, so would be sad to see it go. I always found it to be so exciting and interesting.

The idea of NH is actually great in my opinion. It's as far from big money as possible if this was being brought to most other states. No major amount of land to cover and no major media markets, both of those things make it cheaper and more possible to start here. It's made more for the underdogs. Imagine if it was brought to a state with more major media markets, a bigger size and generally more expensive to run a campaign? $ would be a bigger barrier to entry than it already is. At least you can start here a little more minimal and see if you have what it takes to get any traction. Imagine if you started in states where it was much more expensive to run and maybe you had the ideas and could gain momentum, but couldn't overcome the financial barrier? You would have more rich people running and celebs or people with super large name ID. You wouldn't necessarily get better candidates.

TreeHuggingHippyMan t1_iypi466 wrote

Lived here all 55sh years and have seen every president since Reagan and I could care less .

The amount of useless energy and torment from people knocking door to door non stop, to pollsters calling every hour non fucking stop ;)

Bree9ine9 t1_iyqohnv wrote

I never understand why people bother doing that? It’s annoying and chances are your not changing anyones mind on how or if they’re going to vote by annoying them like that.

threepawsonesock t1_iyqyhwn wrote

I worked for the Obama campaign in NH in 2012. If you lived in Dover/Somersworth/Rollinsford during that period, you probably have me to blame for sending the democratic volunteers who knocked on your door that year.

We knocked on doors early on mainly to collect data. We used fairly sophisticated software that created lists using the responses to in person and over the telephone canvassing questions and combining that with party registration, past voting behavior, and demographic data. The two main lists were possible persuadable voters, and democratic leaning unreliable voters.

Up to about two months before election day, we spent some time on the persuadable voters, going to homes to try to see if we could talk them into voting blue.

After roughly E Day minus 60, all efforts were turned toward people we expected would vote democratic if they voted, but who couldn’t be counted on to always vote. A voter was deemed unreliable if they had failed to vote in a previous election, particularly if it was the last general election, the primary, or the most recent midterm. The goal was to do everything (legally) possible to make sure they planned to actually get the the polls on election day. If they needed a ride, we would get them one. If they needed childcare, we would arrange it. We wanted there to be no chance that they might forget and no excuse for why they could not go.

The tactics were aggressive and annoying to residents, but they delivered undeniable results. No campaign since has really matched the Obama operation’s level of organization and thoroughness.

TreeHuggingHippyMan t1_iyruhow wrote

I appreciate the volunteering and have volunteered at call centers and the polling centers myself trying to verify addresses so I’m also to blame . It is annoying now but also the electorate is Changing so much and we can’t rely on land lines . Many of us are digital nomads so those of us who aren’t get all the love :(

KilgoretheTrout55 t1_iyqqxpx wrote

Even if you don't change people's mind it can provide useful data to the campaigns

besafenh t1_iyr2rgm wrote

Data = $ Nationbuilder is the program referenced, which coupled with a few applications (Polis, Northstar) takes political demographics and translates it into a walking interface for voter contact. No data? No app, no list, no value.

yeahimsadsowut t1_iyqy0za wrote

It’s to make sure bernie or a Bernie esque candidate can’t win. Making SC, then GA or MI first means Clintonites and their acolytes can run up big totals and momentums before the Bernie bros can even cast ballots.

It’s not meant to enhance diversity, it’s meant to shut it down. This is how you sink outsider campaigns before they even start.

Also it wouldnt surprise me if Biden is doing this literally to avoid getting primaried

besafenh t1_iyr1id4 wrote

True, however we saw the “rules” flex in the Democratic Debates, where Tulsi was tossed from future debates after curb-stomping Kamala over indefinite imprisonment for the financial gain of CalCorrections. Tulsi “didn’t qualify” while others were invited to the stage, polling worse or not polling at all.

“Legal” as Sanders v DNC held the primary process is the entire product of the Democratic Party, which the respective States and the FEC have no actual role in determining “fairness” or equal access.

The role of the States and the FEC comes in the general election, where the DNC can insist that rules of a State violate the fairness of BI-partisan elections. That the States have a legitimate role in repressing 3rd party and independent candidates, as “they are confusing voters” and not consistent with a history of BI partisanship.

Therefore, Primaries are mere Kabuki Theater. Nothing is as it appears, all the actors, including actresses, are men. The plot is known, the outcome assured.

Much as they did in 2015, the DNC can meet, decide to advance a single candidate (Hillary) or a small pool of candidates representing various factions within the Party: Beto, Kamala, Joe, Amy, Pete. One falters? Add another, maybe Deval Patrick will have the Obama touch. Not really declared? Put him on the ballot in NH as a A/B test.

That’s why “First in the Nation” is meaningless, unless you’re a paid political consultant, or you profit from the deeper pockets of a national political establishment, buying TV spots at 4X typical rates. If you’re WMUR? The First in the Nation, is a crucial, indispensable asset. One year of political ads, fluffs the budget for the next three.

Trailwatch427 t1_iyp08h3 wrote

It was really great to meet all those candidates in 2020, up close and personal. Because I was involved with my local political committee, I got to meet campaign staff of most of the candidates. Some very smart and hard working young people. I learned so much about the issues and proposals of the candidates.

But honestly, NH is not the state where candidates should be focusing so much time, money, and energy. It is not representative of the US. It's tiny, incredibly white, and mostly older. A great place, but it's not Illinois, or California, or New York, or Colorado. We don't have major cities, extensive farmland, large minority and ethnic populations. I'd miss the star power of the First in the Nation for presidential primaries, but NH doesn't really deserve the power over influencing the election the way it does.

KrissaKray t1_iyqn9ql wrote

Yeah fk our local economy, right?

Trailwatch427 t1_iyt4jmw wrote

Yes. Fuck our local economy, if it means that NH doesn't get to be the first primary in the nation. Is that how NH is supposed to make money? Because democracy doesn't count, just lining our pockets. Sounds kind of shallow and self-serving.

tinyoddjob t1_iyp60k9 wrote

I hope we don’t lose it. It’s a nice New Hampshire thing.

Selfless- t1_iyoc3a1 wrote

Our voice has been against the big spenders for a long time now. Not surprising they want to turn eyes away from our gallery to somewhere where their money may have more influence.

valleyman02 t1_iyosuht wrote

Right. How many posts here complaining about political ads and political mail. Everyday there was a new post about it. Don't complain when people give you what you ask for.

Fairly0ddlad t1_iyoe05r wrote

I would miss it! I love seeing and hearing all the candidates!

LassieMcToodles t1_iyot6yr wrote

I love the Dixville Notch tradition. It's like a sweet, quirky, and endearing scene from Newhart.

Realistic-Step2618 t1_iyqxdp9 wrote

Me, too. Primary eve, especially if there is no incumbent, is one of my favorite nights in downtown Manchester. I would be so sad if we no longer had that unique NH tradition.

Ch1efMart1nBr0dy t1_iyow83w wrote

All that WMUR ad revenue….poof. All the quacks and goofballs with no frickin chance of being president…gone. All the mailers and phone calls for 4 months before the primary…no more!

pitamandan t1_iypfs18 wrote

I mean, those like 9 people voting and posting it first is sorta adorable.

Otherwise nah.

Khajiit_crone t1_iyr9px3 wrote

Don’t care. The proposed change seems reasonable and might better predict the strongest candidates.

SasquatchGroomer t1_iys7xys wrote

It's time to let it go. We can either want what feels best for NH or what we know to be best for the entire nation.

The first few states should be demographically representative of the country as a whole. Iowa & NH do not meet that standard.

Before you accuse me of being new to NH ... I was born here in the 1960s and I've lived here my entire life.

Jean-Paul_Sartre t1_iyo7it8 wrote

It would probably bankrupt WMUR without all that primary ad revenue.

johnjannotti t1_iyp1dlc wrote

As long as the first state rotates, I'm happy. It would be pretty weird and dumb to remove one entrenched first state just to pick another. But if SC goes first this time, then another next time, maybe rotating through all of the smallish states, that's great.

knottedoaks t1_iyp6ry6 wrote

Throw darts blindfolded at a changing map each year to decide.

LordSpilasquez t1_iypxpfw wrote

No. Less political ads being crammed at us

GoblinShark603 t1_iyqkmxd wrote

Why would that change?

KrissaKray t1_iyqmvn7 wrote

It wouldn’t.

besafenh t1_iyr25cm wrote

SC would “benefit” from the attention of the entire slate. Three days later, some might implode on launch (Beto) or in the first Primary (Kamala) sparing NH from a few ad buys done in SC.

mbeau55 t1_iyqolb9 wrote

It means a lot of money to the state. Unfortunately, I think we have lost it. I will not miss the constant polling calls.

GreatGrandaddyPurp t1_iyr4okx wrote

The state will lose 9% of the revenue from all the restaurants and hotels in Concord that get busy for primary season. Hardly a drop in the bucket. I think you'll find the only people who care about that money happen to own resteraunts and hotels in concord. Their prosperous tears will fall on deaf ears.

turangaziza t1_iyoerxj wrote

I don't mind the attention, I think it's kind of fun. But it makes no sense to have the first primary here. NH is not representative of the U.S. population on so many levels the bellwether thing seems to be no longer. Like an income tax, though, it's political suicide to suggest that changing things might be an improvement.

dpalmer09 t1_iyoo76m wrote

We'd get alot less political mail and calls but the chances of candidates visiting often is slim

Perfect_Arrival1668 t1_iypdeko wrote

NH due to its remote access and low amount of voting power - traditionally needs to go first. If not - we would not see the qty of different candidates in either party. However because of the voting momentum theory - where winning candidates have increased odds of additional wins- any candidate who wins early here strategically improves their chance at the next state and so on. If small states go after big ones the party is expected to settle for the first “big” state’s winners

Shaqeroni t1_iypo5ep wrote

Yawn…truly if you are worried about losing first-in-the-nation status..you really don’t have much to worry about.

[deleted] t1_iyoe200 wrote

Not in the least. Give some square state the honor.

grrliz t1_iyofj3v wrote

We get so little attention already, let us keep this one thing :’c

nblastoff t1_iypwuxq wrote

I would miss it. I always loved nh being the center of thy political world for a bit. Especially now, nh is full of people who think. The state has turned purple which means a truely great candidate in either side could win.

Hikingwolf71 t1_iyrfqrw wrote

Nope, it would be nice to not have so many political ads pounding the voters over head.

thread100 t1_iyocqq8 wrote

In this age of 24 hr news, social media coverage and essentially a national campaign, the concept that NH influences the national conversation is very outdated. Let’s do a lottery every 4 years.

Acanthaceae_Square t1_iyph6vr wrote

No. No one on either side feels like our current system is working particularly well. Continuing to do the same things only because “we’ve always done it” is insufficient in the face of chronic failure and disappointment. Let’s shake it up and maybe at least some will like the results rather than abject misery all around

Adweena t1_iyqurai wrote

Biden said it himself, without saying it, that NH isn't exactly a beacon of racial diversity compared to SC.. plus Bernie won NH in the primary. Wonder what he's got to say about it.

leroykincaid80 t1_iyqxs39 wrote

No. In the scheme of things who cares.

ApostateX t1_iyr2r84 wrote

I don't think NH should have the first primary, but that doesn't mean South Carolina should get it. There are plenty of states with diverse populations who are far more invested in the success of Democrats than there. It's an extremely conservative state, part of the Bible belt and has been voting for GOP presidents since 1980. Jimmy Carter was the last candidate to win there. It's hardly the Democratic vision of the future. Ugh.

We should take all 50 states plus DC and list them in descending order by percentage of voters registered as Dems. Give them a rank 1-51. So that would make DC first. Then do the same kind of ranking but by total number of voters who actually voted D in the last presidential election. So maybe California is #1 there.

You take an average of the two. Not a weighted average, just an average. This would help small states with hefty D % (DC, Vermont) maintain leverage against big states with large populations (CA, TX, FL). Based on whoever comes out in the top 3 of those rankings, those states all vote first, on the same day. The top 5 candidates then proceed onto a subsequent round of the next 22 states who all vote on the same day, then the top 3 candidates of that batch finish up with the last 25 states who all vote on the same day. All rounds are ranked choice voting.

Why should the Dems cater to states where people can't be bothered to vote for Dems or Dems can't win elections? Doing it this way would encourage people who tend to lean Dem but register as unaffiliated or independent voters to change their party registration, balance the needs of small D states, prevent a single state from driving the early outcome, and reflect population changes.

I understand that NH being first is a huge problem for other voters, but the people of South Carolina don't speak for me either. We're just trading one problem for another.

GreatGrandaddyPurp t1_iyr3wcy wrote

Not one bit. I wouldn't even open an article about it. I'd be interested in the comments section though.

gem3stones8472 t1_iyrv9fg wrote

Nope. I like the way it is more representative of all the people in this country, not just white old men.

GeorgeSix t1_iyuoysc wrote

No strong feelings about it one way or the other. But I have a few comments:

1. If you're going to shuffle the primary schedule, they should all be moved many months closer to the election. Maybe June and July can be the primaries, with conventions and the general election starting in August as we do today. No one benefits from such a long election season. In 2020 the primaries were decided before the pandemic was on the average person's radar, and of course the pandemic was probably the biggest issue during the general campaign. The issues discussed during the primaries would have been very different if the elections were held in June and July.
  2. Call me a cynic, but in 2020 Biden lost in Iowa and lost in NH then won in SC. If he's planning to run again and thinks there could be competition in the primary, it seems very much to his benefit if SC moves ahead in the calendar.
  3. Again, maybe I'm a cynic, but in 2020 Biden got the endorsement of prominent South Carolinian Jim Clyburn prior to the SC primary. The media credits this endorsement for Biden's performance in the SC primary. (The April 1, 2020 Washington Post headline is "Jim Clyburn changed everything for Joe Biden’s campaign" and the article notes "Sixty percent of black voters cited the Clyburn endorsement as an important factor in their decision.") One wonders if there was some backroom deal struck: I'll endorse if you work to rearrange the primary schedule in SC's favor.
  4. In 2020 Biden lost the first two states, won the third, and obviously went on to win the nomination. The media loves to talk about the first votes cast, but are we sure they matter that much?

Lords_of_Lands t1_iyypasp wrote

> Call me a cynic...

No need, you're a realist. Biden is doing it because SC was very helpful with his campaign. It's an award/kickback, basically just mild corruption. Other justifications are additions after the fact to make it look better.

ryanpm40 t1_iyobxbb wrote

Nope, I don't care. NH isn't representative of the rest of the country anyways. We're like 97% white haha.

Wide_Television_7074 t1_iyphkws wrote

racist much?

−2

ryanpm40 t1_iyphmci wrote

Lmao what? I'm white if it wasn't obvious. A mostly white state doesn't represent America as a whole.

Also reverse racism isn't a thing

mmirate t1_iyrf0et wrote

"Reverse" racism is still just racism.

UnfairAd7220 t1_iyonl2q wrote

My opinion is irrelevant. Its NH RSA.

eldonspangle t1_iypgo2z wrote

The dnc would be better off doing it elsewhere.

Plus-Ad-6780 t1_iyphyxr wrote

I worked front desk at a hotel in the Manchester area years ago. It would sell the hotel out every night the entire time. I met some really nice people that run tv stations, and some real assholes from all walks of the campaign trail that stop in NH during primary season. It will be nice to keep the asshole people out of the state.

YouAreHardtoImagine t1_iyqwjtf wrote

Don’t care. Actually more interested when an actual Presidential candidate takes the time to go out of their way and visit a small state with less electoral votes (like us).

Edit: words

Blackjackmass t1_iyqywij wrote

I know it means the loss of substantial income to the state, I believe the less time with political blow hards the better both sides, especially those more interested exclusion and hate.

TarantinoFan23 t1_iyr9txg wrote

The state would turn into Mass in 5 seconds without the fuckton of dark money pouring in to keep it red.

HenleyNotTheShirt t1_iyo7bn3 wrote

I kind of hate it. It sucks to see the candidate you vote for give up 6 months later. I feel like everybody should go on the same day or, better yet, just totally get rid of primaries.

Bo0ots42 t1_iyogtjs wrote

Nah, not really. I’d jokingly say it depends on who we lost it to, but I think I’d be relieved that we’d get a break in all the political calls, and (depending on when we’d hold the new primary) fewer candidates asking for money.

beardmat87 t1_iypb5jo wrote

I like having it but wouldn’t care too much if we lost it. Personally I think if they decide to change it I think it should be a random draw for which state goes first each primary.

bipolarbear326 t1_iypeawu wrote

I'd love it if those cunts didn't set my town on (political) fire every few years. Good riddance.

Jonpaddy t1_iypeebu wrote

I hope we do! It makes literally zero sense to do it here.

jrice39 t1_iypfql3 wrote

Nope.

wmur will go out of business since the primary once every 4 years is when they make their money.

AwkwardSpread t1_iyptfu7 wrote

I would never go there anymore and not spend any more money there.

Is that what they’re afraid of?

Cowgirlup365 t1_iyr0o4z wrote

No, not at all! Electoral college decides who wins anyway.

notsurethisisfunny t1_iyr4n8f wrote

Yes, it generates a significant amount of money for businesses in the state.

itchybumbum t1_iyrdb1e wrote

How does it generate money for local businesses?

notsurethisisfunny t1_iyrgj01 wrote

When various candidates visit the state, they bring staff, handlers etc. that all need a place to stay, food, fuel, entertainment etc while they are here. You also have all the press that follows them around, they spend money while here. You also have significant amounts of advertising dollars that are spent with various media outlets in the state.

YouAreHardtoImagine t1_iyrnrkz wrote

If your business relies heavily on something that happens 1x q 4 years, might want to examine that model.

N1303K t1_iyrfpj3 wrote

Are you kidding? Without the FITN primary, Dennis Kucinich would never have gotten to make quacky duck noises when he met my daughter, age 3! Priceless!

seriously, we survived the loss of the Old Man of the Mountain and we’ll emerge from this, stronger because more reality-based and less schtick-based.

Apprehensive_Sir2022 t1_iyrxo3l wrote

Thought is was legistated NH was first in the nation?

MarcMaronsHotGarage t1_iysiyhp wrote

It is. However, other states are not obligated to respect our declarations, as they are not federal law: hence the jockeying for position every single presidential primary season.

SheenPSU t1_iyubu16 wrote

But we’ll just move the date up, unless something gets passed legally where we can’t

asuds t1_iz7uh0t wrote

This is a NH state law. All it takes is one other state to make the same law and boom we have infinite primaries starting tomorrow!

GraniteGeekNH OP t1_iytp38g wrote

as I understand it, if Biden's plan goes through we might hold an earlier primary but it wouldn't count for delegates to the nominating convention.

-Codfish_Joe t1_iyo8cr9 wrote

Changing it up is a good thing.

We complain about always getting the same type of people elected, but we don't want to change the way we elect people. Maybe we can get more than just the same old same old by shuffling Iowa and New Hampshire somewhere else.

WhoWhatWhereWhenHowY t1_iyodrx4 wrote

I prefer it to go. In the 4 presidential primaries I have voted in my chosen candidate has never made it past super Tuesday. I'd actually like it if my primary options were the candidates that have already made it through the first waves of people dropping out

4thelasttimeIMNOTGAY t1_iyow9wn wrote

The idea the government decideds when each states party vote happens just enforces the two party systems. Why not the GOP and DNC hold their own damn elections?

VenserSojo t1_iypcmes wrote

They do but the state of NH made a law saying it would hold said primaries first, the democrats could refuse to show up if they wished but we would still hold our primaries first thus effectively they would not be a part of it.

nhhilltopper t1_iypdf27 wrote

No, but I will miss those close interactions. And the economy will miss that sugar rush of money. But, hey, the parties are private entities. Let them live free, mind their own business.

[deleted] t1_iyq4k9m wrote

I wouldn't care.what would it matter?

MartoufCarter t1_iyo78qp wrote

If it would reduce the amount of campaigning I am all for it. It is one of the few things about NH that sucks, campaign season. It lasts forever and there is so much damn junk mail.

TutenWelch t1_iyoc0eb wrote

It was cool when I was a teenager in the 80s. I think I met everyone who ran for president from 1984 to 1992 (I guess by extension I met most of the people who had run in 1980), or damn near.

But big picture, it's silly for NH to have the first primary, and ridiculous that such importance has been attached to the first primary. The second part we can't do much about, but we can fix the first.

mini_ninja_riot t1_iyorvvc wrote

Could care less, but think I would be better off changing

ifukkedurbich t1_iyp406z wrote

What effect would this have?

nhmo t1_iyp4rue wrote

Fewer ads hopefully

ifukkedurbich t1_iyp6nkw wrote

No I mean functionally. Would this change something about how our elections work?

firewolf8385 t1_iyph0q1 wrote

The average net worth of candidates would probably increase due to how expensive it is to campaign in larger states. That’s the only thing I can think of

donkeyduplex t1_iyob5xm wrote

No, and I don't think the economic impact of the traveling circus of media that comes through every 4 years is particularly strong. But now I want to google it.

Open-Industry-8396 t1_iyse73j wrote

No, I prefer to keep NH a secret. Less attention the better.

movdqa t1_iyvc5g8 wrote

It would bug me somewhat.

Phinnh80 t1_izaqjnj wrote

Being a lifetime resident of NH (read that as very long time) I would hate to see it go but honestly, I suspect many of us who have been through the process multiple times could use a break from the circus coming to town every four years. If anything, the level of vitriol brought to it by Trump in 2016 soured me on the process. Not that we didn't have a lot of back stabbing and attack ads before him; but Donald took it to a whole new dimension with he's scorched earth campaigning.

As for Biden, frankly he skipped us right from the beginning in 2020. Did he even make it to any of the debates? If he did his impact was so marginal it hardly made a ripple on my senses. Meanwhile I saw lots of activity by other candidates (I was out myself working for Bernie).

Joe goes for South Carolina because it is his lucky charm. Yet Barack Obama did very well in NH in 2008 just getting edged by Hillary Clinton (maybe due to that last minute true confession at a diner that showed her 'human side'?).

At the risk of being called a northern redneck liberal (if such a thing exists) I do not believe the Democrats will get the diversity of candidates they hope for out of South Carolina. If you look at the voting results for SC in the general election for President the last Democrat to carry the state was Carter. Since then the state has fallen into the Republican basket every time.

My thoughts - move it to Georgia. At least we know Democrats seem to be doing better there these days!

chain_me_up t1_iyo97t6 wrote

Literally couldn't care any less as long as we still get to vote lol

last1stding t1_iyonelb wrote

Its got our Senators and Reps up in arms. Maybe they should worry and be more vocal about other things.

UnfairAd7220 t1_iyonv95 wrote

and why not? The DNC just shat on them.

Czarsandman t1_iyoqfke wrote

Can we do away with the two party system yet? Having to choose between a shit sandwich and a shit salad every election cycle is getting really old.

1Greghole t1_iyormho wrote

Sorry sugar hill. Your last now

SheenPSU t1_iyucwj9 wrote

I just don’t see the need to change it. Nothing is stopping people from putting more emphasis on a particular state’s results. It’s not like on state decides everything

scajjr29 t1_iyo79jm wrote

Wouldn't care at all.

−1

TheGrateKhan t1_iyoajep wrote

Id like to know what effect the DNC thinks this will have. It seems like such a mundane thing to quarrel over. Simply the date of an election. But if it didnt have some sort of perceived impact on a larger scale, why does it matter if New Hampshire as a state goes a week earlier than any other state?

Though it might be fun to watch states keep moving their election dates forward to keep getting in front of the others.

−1

N1303K t1_iyrgguj wrote

WMUR has a Taj Mahal of a facility in Manchester. Your primary-related political donations at work!

−3

FreezingRobot t1_iyo9u9i wrote

No. I imagine most voters don't care either.

All the local politicians and all the folks (e.g. media) who make money off the primary are going to be apoplectic but I don't most people give a shit. We're already second place after Iowa, what does it matter if South Carolina votes the week before us anyway?

−4

ChuntStevens t1_iyoh0fx wrote

Do now; its bananas that old confused so and so is going to try to give the primary to the first state to try and secede from the union. Fuck that.

−6

[deleted] t1_iyom5xb wrote

[removed]

−11

BeagleBox t1_iyop2wa wrote

Aw, you really got me with this. I must now go and rethink my wicked ways of working for decent education, decent affordable healthcare and housing. Guess my days of wanting New Hampshire's children fed and protected are over, now that you've shown me the error of my ways with your statement. No more working for veterans rights, human rights, higher wages, and keeping Medicare and Social Security viable for our seniors.

Fuck you, right back, friend.

valleyman02 t1_iyorp42 wrote

Just like a Republican to want to control everybody. Republicans don't get to decide when the DNC holds their primaries. But it cool you want to try.

If you don't like it don't vote for Dems. Easy peasy

Wide_Television_7074 t1_iyphu5r wrote

Just watch the NH Dems try to explain away this being bad for NH economy… Biden and the DNC once again trying to cheat, while fucking over NH, and the lemmings will cheerfully support… it’s too much

−12

KrissaKray t1_iyqn16k wrote

I agree 100% with this and the amount of downvotes is pretty characteristic of this sub when you dare criticize the DNC. This will have a huge impact on our state economy. The fact they don’t care about that is sad.

−1