Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

dc122186 OP t1_iu0vmxe wrote

>Ahmad was employed as a Deputy Sheriff with the Philadelphia Sheriff's Office when he allegedly sold two semi-automatic pistols and ammunition to a confidential informant.

So the confidential informant then sold/gave the guns to the kids who did the shooting? There's some missing pieces here.

Also fuck this guy.

1up t1_iu101w5 wrote

The guns were used in the shooting on 9/27, the defendant acquired the guns at some point after that, and then he sold them to the CI on October 13th. The court docs just say the guns were traced by law enforcement as being used in the 9/27 shooting, but don't say how they were traced.

PhillyPanda t1_iu10gj8 wrote

Seems really stupid to sell guns used in an active ongoing case that’s received extensive media attention and the feds are involved in

Like no other guns?

ParallelPeterParker t1_iu12j1z wrote

Only guessing, but perhaps whomever he acquired them from wasn't worried once he unloaded them to the Sheriff's deputy guy?

point_breeze69 t1_iu28o40 wrote

This should be a crime like in other cities. If a person loses a gun they have legally registered and fail to report it missing/stolen that person should face consequences. This single law change alone would stop a huge illegal gun racket that goes on in Philly.

DelcoPAMan t1_iu3s1kb wrote

Yes. Unfortunately, the gun owner lobby at the state level has repeatedly stopped laws like that.

McNinja_MD t1_iu5ai5l wrote

That's cause being responsible and reasonable with guns is just the first step down a short slippery slope to communazis taking your guns and then sending packs of 30-40 5G-controlled feral hogs to tear your family limb from limb for their adrenochrome! SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED! SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!! /s

SoigneBest t1_iu1avnk wrote

Seems really stupid to be a deputy sheriff and selling guns and other contraband. Lock his ass up under CFCF, or better yet send his ass to Holmesburg so he can rot with the rats there.

timesyours t1_iu1mxyd wrote

He's going to Federal prison.

SoigneBest t1_iu25034 wrote

You missed the subtly of my comment or have never been to Holmesburg. But he doesn’t deserve a federal facility.

timesyours t1_iu2827h wrote

I was just pointing out that he's not going to the state system, although I agree he certainly deserves it. Sorry, missed the sarcasm. Have certainly been to Holmesburg! (The prison and the Ashburner..).

SoigneBest t1_iu2a5oc wrote

Oh and the inmates upstate will be waiting for him to be brought in. Inmates hate dirty LEO’s and I’m sure this dickhead will be in solitary for his own safety. CO’s also hate dirty LEO’s so they might let him get touched.

timesyours t1_iu2fslp wrote

I thought COs hated everyone?

SoigneBest t1_iu2itua wrote

You’re right, they do. My aunt was one before she retired, I never know if she likes me or tolerates me bc of her sister. Lol

InsaneAss t1_iu33omg wrote

Why doesn’t he “deserve” it? Federal prison isn’t necessarily worse. It’s just a federal crime so he would go to a federal prison. They have different security levels. Doubt he’ll be in some high security place with violent offenders.

waterboy1321 t1_iu2wpmg wrote

It also seems really stupid to sell guns to a guy you know is a snitch, because you pay him to snitch.

JBizznass t1_iu23go2 wrote

The criminals that get caught aren’t usually known for their intelligence.

SBRH33 t1_iu1cr6n wrote

Firearm Serials.

−2

1up t1_iu1eecx wrote

The guns can be connected to the shooting just by their serial numbers? I get that if the guns were actually recovered at the scene of the shooting or from a shooter but I don't think that was the case with these guns.

−4

Kodiak_85 t1_iu1k4ii wrote

The guns were tested for ballistics and matched spent (fired) rounds found at the scene of the shooting. Every gun leaves a unique imprint on every bullet it fires. Similar to a fingerprint.

Sage2050 t1_iu22eea wrote

That's a lot less reliable in real life than it is on TV. They caught 3 of the 4 shooters, one of them probably had the guns.

SBRH33 t1_iu3ql20 wrote

I was spitballing. I thought he actually somehow removed them from evidence impoundment to sell them, where the serials would have been recorded. But he's a sheriffs office dep. They have no access to that stuff.

What likely transpired was that one of the boys they already had in custody for the murder at RHS coughed up his name to investigators and then they nabbed him with the crime guns as he was getting rid of them.

Dude was already on LE radar and was a major player in the streets.

BFreeFranklin t1_iu0vyqk wrote

Yeah, I’m thinking that the sting must have occurred after the shooting.

Edit: It seems the deputy acquired the gun some time after the shooting, then later sold it to an informant. The gun was then connected to the shooting.

pasnow t1_iu12nnd wrote

That or one of the kids dimed him out as to who they bought it from.

1up t1_iu13tnd wrote

That would be pretty wild in part because the feds also charged this guy with a sale from back in April 2022 to the same CI. So they could've charged him 6 months ago and had him off the streets already. Honestly a mystery why they didn't do that regardless since they knew in April they had a sheriff's deputy dead to rights for illegally selling firearms.

[deleted] t1_iu1k3sl wrote

[deleted]

−8

timesyours t1_iu1mi7l wrote

There's no indication that the Sheriff's Deputy acquired them "as evidence." If they had the gun, the evidence would be in possession of either the Philadelphia Police, FBI, US Attorney, or Philadelphia District Attorney. It appears the Deputy acquired the gun through other (criminal) means, and then they were able to trace it back to the shooting after the fact, once it was in the undercover agent's possession.

foghornjawn t1_iu1q6x5 wrote

I read the article differently but we should know more details once the official criminal complaint is filed in federal court.

−3

mrhedgefund t1_iu0yyoq wrote

The Sherriff's office has been a dumpster fire for years. It's almost as if being involved in something illegal is required to get a job there.

SoigneBest t1_iu1b7n9 wrote

Bucks county Sheriff is a joke too. That might be a PA prerequisite for the sheriff’s position

[deleted] t1_iu2d242 wrote

[deleted]

THExDANKxKNIGHT t1_iu41zj6 wrote

Closest I've ever had to an experience with them was a highschool friends house being raided instead of his heroin dealing neighbors. The worst part was they tried to act like it was a success because they found like a 1/4oz of weed and a bong in his brothers room.

Drewcifer81 t1_iu4pygf wrote

Almost as if tying law enforcement to political affiliation produces the worst combination...

WHO_POOPS_THE_BED t1_iu1k4ij wrote

Unfortunately there's not a law against nepotism as an entryway to northeast law enforcement

1NationUnderDog t1_iu1i7kn wrote

FBI ought to take over the City.

Thecrawsome t1_iu42ptz wrote

It would be nice if there was actual bargaining with the Philly police union a competitor. That way they'd keep on their toes more and maybe buy a camera for their locker room with their billions in budget.

AbsentEmpire t1_iu1kw8j wrote

I guess this explains where all those missing guns from the Sheriff office have been going.

210 Guns Went Missing from Philadelphia Sheriff's Office, New Report Says

It's really beyond time to start handing city operations over to the federal government, we're clearly too corrupt and incompetent to run ourselves.

MCK54 t1_iu2riu6 wrote

Correct me if I’m wrong.. our City Gov wants to increase gun laws (due to increased gun violence) but they’re selling guns the confiscated to criminals out the back of the building? Who’s side are these people on?

AbsentEmpire t1_iu2yrz1 wrote

It's called corrupt machine politics. The city's political system serve themselves and no others.

Additionally this fuck will be going to prison, but he's repressive of the general dysfunctional and underhanded dealing that goes on in the city government.

Jason_S_88 t1_iu48djn wrote

Is the sheriff's dept really part of.cuty government proper?

gigpig t1_iu482a0 wrote

210 guns? That’s so many guns.

thestar1818 t1_iu0xj7l wrote

There are many legal gun owners who are supplying these felons and children with guns for a dollar. They need to be all oust, charged, and sent to prison.

AnyOldNameNotTaken t1_iu11js4 wrote

Anyone who sells a firearm without doing an FFL transfer, which requires a background check, has committed a felony according to existing law and should be dealt with harshly.

Trionappa t1_iu11xze wrote

This quite literally isn’t true. Why are you speaking so confidently on stuff you obviously have no idea about?

McCooms t1_iu12wlu wrote

Handguns he is right, long rifles within PA to a PA resident when it’s a private transfer you don’t have to but it is recommended

Scumandvillany t1_iu2301f wrote

🙄 handguns require a background check in PA, full stop. It's ten years if you don't, possibly fed time

AnyOldNameNotTaken t1_iu133mm wrote

It certainly is true, you have just listened to too many bullshitters feeding you incorrect information.

You’ll notice there are familial exceptions and long guns are excluded, but all handguns, short barrel shotguns and SBRs are subject and handguns account for nearly all of the crime committed.

From Giffords Foundation- “In Pennsylvania, an unlicensed seller may only sell a handgun or short-barreled rifle or shotgun to an unlicensed purchaser at the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff’s office.1 The licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or sheriff must comply with all of the dealer regulations set forth in the Pennsylvania Dealer Regulations section, including a background check on prospective purchaser.2 These requirements do not apply to transfers between spouses, parents and children, or grandparents and grandchildren.3 These requirements also do not generally apply to transfers of long guns.”

−11

tofucaketl t1_iu1r8hv wrote

Giffords is wrong. Per the actual definition: > Long-gun—The term includes any weapon, that is not a handgun, designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosion, or the frame or receiver of the weapon.

So...any non-pistol. Shotguns are non-pistol. Look up the law yourself with "37 Pa. Code § 33.102" instead of relying on the website of a lobbying group.

Scumandvillany t1_iu2361h wrote

👍 sure. But there were only 500 murders committed by rifle in 2021, across the country. Like 98% of firearm murders are with handguns

tofucaketl t1_iu28xbg wrote

Okay. But that doesn't change anything. Giffords is still wrong.

AnyOldNameNotTaken t1_iu29vn2 wrote

Shotguns with barrels under 18” are considered handguns in PA and are subject to the same regulation. I realize my original wording was misleading on that. I edited for clarity.

Dryheavemorning t1_iu13mta wrote

>and hunting rifles are excluded

Long guns are far more than just "hunting rifles."

AnyOldNameNotTaken t1_iu16bk2 wrote

Mostly hunting rifles. Yeah you can sell an AR with a barrel 16+ and overall length 26+ but the reality is those are rarely used in criminal activity. Handguns are the vast majority followed by SBRs as far as gun murders go. Thats why the law is formulated as such.

−9

Trionappa t1_iu19q1t wrote

So as I said. You are wrong anyone can sell a firearm, as long as it’s not a hand gun.

AnyOldNameNotTaken t1_iu1atw5 wrote

Don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back for being only mostly wrong dude

−2

Trionappa t1_iu1b8x2 wrote

Lmao. Brother you are an idiot. But that’s okay!

AnyOldNameNotTaken t1_iu1bewe wrote

Bud, you’re a dunce

Trionappa t1_iu1bvqh wrote

You’re pretty upset because you were called out on being wrong. Some big boomer energy

AnyOldNameNotTaken t1_iu1cfyt wrote

Not upset in the slightest, nor was I wrong if you read any of the info I responded with to add clarity, nor am I even close to a boomer. You need a nap or a snack or something.

Dryheavemorning t1_iu3zkep wrote

Long gun private seller exemption in action:

>It was revealed late Thursday that the gunman purchased the rifle from a private seller, according to a news release from St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department.

>The suspect attempted to buy a firearm from a licensed dealer in St. Charles, Missouri, on October 8, but an FBI background check "successfully blocked this sale," according to police.

>"As a result, the suspect sought out and bought the rifle used in the school shooting from a private seller, who legally purchased the weapon from a federally licensed dealer in December 2020," the release read. "There is no existing law which would have prevented the private sale between the original purchaser and the suspect in this case."

medici75 t1_iu22e9w wrote

only pistols require a background check through an FFL….this deputy was a scumbag through and through….he knows the structure for selling a pistol to anybody….he popped up on FBI radar because he was a one man crime wave with a badge…betcha he was doing the same with drugs…knew a cop who was always getting paid to babysit drug shipments…he would deliver kilos for a price…he got 75 yrs under rico…its been 18 years…only way he gets out is feet first

AnyOldNameNotTaken t1_iu232la wrote

Pistols, shotguns and short barrel rifles (under 16” barrel)

Only long rifles are exempt.

medici75 t1_iu23mc7 wrote

shotguns????!!!!!…didnt know shotguns were treated like pistols in pa

sadson215 t1_iu3i4sq wrote

From an FFL's perspective pistols must be sold to an adult 21 and older.

Rifles shotguns all need to go through background checks when purchased through an FFL.

Short barrel rifles suppressors and machine guns all go through the NFA which requires a 200 dollar tax stamp and a 3 month to a year plus background check through the ATF.

medici75 t1_iu51hb7 wrote

what if two family members or friends hunting buddies etc etc wanted to trade or sell a rifle or shotgun between them…they live next door to eachother…they have to go through an ffl to trade shotguns or rifles????

sadson215 t1_iu5x1or wrote

I'm pretty sure there's an exemption for family. Not sure about friends. Use to be you just had to transfer handguns through a sheriff or FFL, but that was years ago. Not sure what may have changed.

sadson215 t1_iu3hv0k wrote

No if you buy any firearm from an FFL you get a background check.

A short barrel rifle needs to go through the NFA

tofucaketl t1_iu1rgic wrote

If they are committing crimes then they aren't legal gun owners.

TheBSQ t1_iu27fag wrote

It’s a dumb tautology.

I can go legally buy a gun, then commit a crime and then I’m not longer a legal owner. But being “illegal” had no effect on my ability to get a gun because it happened after.

The point is, when that person originally bought the gun, did the seller know of any legal reason to not do that sale?

I can go into a store with the full intent of legally reselling it, and sure if you could read my mind you’d know that means it’s not a legal sale.

But since mind-reading is not possible, all you can go on is the known information. and per that known information, absolutely nothing would distinguish me from a legal purchaser.

So if the difference between a legal and illegal purchase depends on mind reading, it’s not really a difference in any practical sense. A difference without a distinction - that’s the saying, right?

And you know that.

And I’m sure you also know that many other countries have figured out that because mindreading isn’t real you need to add multiple other steps to dissuade that type of situation from occurring, including much more involved pre-purchase requirements, and much more thorough post purchase tracking and registration to make it so that it’s just too big of a pain in the ass to get a gun if you’re just going to turn around and sell it. And too likely that it’ll get traced back to you and some illegal sale you were involved with should the sketchy person you sold it to use it in a crime.

And you also know that while it’s kind of a pain in the ass, if you’re legal, and you have no intent on an illegal resale or to use it in a crime, other than it kinda being a pain, it doesn’t prevent legal ownership.

So the trade off is we can cut down on illegal ownership by making legal purchasing and owning a bit more annoying and require a bit more responsibility.

Or, we can keep legal purchasing super simple and accept that illegal ownership and increased gun violence are a cost of that ease and simplicity.

Argentum1078682 t1_iu2agyi wrote

>So the trade off is we can cut down on illegal ownership by making legal purchasing and owning a bit more annoying and require a bit more responsibility.

>Or, we can keep legal purchasing super simple and accept that illegal ownership and increased gun violence are a cost of that ease and simplicity.

This is a false dichotomy and relies on the premise that the ONLY way to reduce gun violence is to make things harder for legal owners.

Start by vigorously enforcing illegal possession cases before making things harder for the vast majority of gun owners who don't shoot people (99%+)

OrdinaryCorrect3161 t1_iu2vn64 wrote

You are aware that the guy they arrested is one of the people whose office you have to go through to transfer weapons, right? He’s a clear sign that the legal processes need review.

Edit: one of the offices. You can also go to a dealer but my point is, it wouldn’t surprise me if a deputy or two is helping illegal sales go through.

sadson215 t1_iu3ib9r wrote

The sheriff's office doesn't handle pics or nics so you're talking out of your ass. PICS is handled by the state police.

OrdinaryCorrect3161 t1_iu3uvwx wrote

Bro what? Dickhead, that’s the background checks. I’m talking if you wanted to buy my gun, we’d go to the sheriff’s office to do the transfer.

sadson215 t1_iu48946 wrote

No I'm paying you and I don't want to go to the sheriff's office I want to go to the FFL and if you have a problem with that I can get the same shitty gun you're peddling off gun broker nib and have it shipped to an FFL near me.. douche.

OrdinaryCorrect3161 t1_iu48n3f wrote

It’s section c. I’m just explaining how the law is written bro. There’s a way the sheriff’s office can be involved here. Get your panties out the bunch.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/LEGIS/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=00.&chpt=061.&sctn=011.&subSctn=000.&mobile_choice=suppress

sadson215 t1_iu4bjcp wrote

You said you have too you can go to an FFL too

OrdinaryCorrect3161 t1_iu4fpze wrote

Okay, you’re right. I should have said “one of the places you have to go to”

tofucaketl t1_iu28qwu wrote

No, part of the gun buying process is filling out form 4473 (falsifying any information on the form is a federal felony). One of the questions (11a) asks if you're buying the firearm for yourself. By answering affirmatively to that question while intending to immediately sell/give the firearm to another person you're a felon. There's no mind reading going on. You've committed a crime before taking possession of the firearm. Obviously there are safeguards for the sellers (e.g. not being mind readers), but that does not change the fact that the buyer is a criminal.

−1

AbsentEmpire t1_iu32wq7 wrote

OK but lying when answering that question will only ever be known and prosecuted as such after the fact. There is nothing inherently stopping you from lying on that question, and hindering the sale.

I mean hell the same shit happens for alcohol, it's illegal for a 21+ year old to buy booze with intent to sell it to minors but that shit happens all the time.

I own several guns, I'm 100% in favor of implementing a system that hinders straw sales for being as prevalent as they are.

jackxaniels t1_iu51zwj wrote

The ATF itself admits that it prosecutes 0.1% of cases where someone submits falsified information on form 4473. Clearly basing a law on a pinky promise isn’t effective

tofucaketl t1_iu66g5b wrote

Yeah but the ATF is garbage. A 4473 violation is one of those things that's not something they go after specifically, but tacked on as another crime when charging someone with more serious stuff. It's like a ticketmaster fee for court.

Unpopular_couscous t1_iu1074b wrote

No, no you don't understand. They're responsible gun owners. /s

Soxrox42 t1_iu11pzl wrote

Not if they’re selling guns illegally to minors and felons lol

Fat_Head_Carl t1_iu2wjm5 wrote

> There are many legal gun owners who are supplying these felons and children with guns for a dollar.

They're called criminals, not legal gun owners

napsdufroid t1_iu0wh3e wrote

25 years, no parole. Fuck this scumbag

crazy-puff t1_iu0zrwu wrote

He faces a maximum possible sentence of 15 years. That’s not nearly enough.

tofucaketl t1_iu1rksf wrote

Not sure a cop in jail would last that long though

−3

whatisevenleft t1_iu40bpp wrote

He’ll in protective custody the whole time and McNesby will get him his job back as soon as he gets out. I’m sure he’ll take a plea deal and get something ridiculously low too.

absherlock t1_iu0xwat wrote

Could the intrepid reporters have bothered to even put the guy's full name? Or is it just Ahmad, like Sting or Madonna?

Mia-white-97 t1_iu0ye0x wrote

He’s a cop he’s getting cop treatment

GooFoYouPal t1_iu224av wrote

Says it right in the fucking article and why would reporters care he’s a cop ? And the feds dgaf that he’s a Sheriff’s Deputy, in fact, they prefer it.

Miamime t1_iu1z1kg wrote

>Court documents show former Philadelphia Sheriff's Deputy Samir Ahmad was captured on camera during an undercover sting operation by the FBI earlier this month.

SnoopRion69 t1_iu2btf7 wrote

I'm not even sure if he sold the same type of gun or put the actual guns in the hands of the shooter. It didn't seem connected from what the government put out.

randym99 t1_iu0yfc0 wrote

The gun violence is coming from inside the Sheriffs!

PhillyPanda t1_iu106mr wrote

PPD does not equal sheriffs office

go_berds t1_iu0wfp6 wrote

What the fuck man

Kodiak_85 t1_iu1m0ij wrote

Based on this terribly written article, what happened is:

1. Guns were used in the shooting.

2. Deputy Sheriff came into possession of the guns after the shooting (article does not disclose how.)

3. Deputy Sheriff sold the guns to an undercover FBI agent and was arrested.

4. Guns were traced back to the shooting (Again the article does not say how but most likely though ballistics comparison to spent rounds found at the crime scene.)

I am wondering if the guns were found by or surrendered to law enforcement and were placed into evidence waiting to be processed/destroyed and the Deputy stole them to sell them. I’m not sure how the city handles found/surrendered weapons or if they are all held at a central location where multiple law enforcement agencies have access (Philly PD, Sheriff, SEPTA PD, University Police etc.)

Either that or someone involved directly in the shooting provided the Deputy with them, but that seems unlikely.

Miamime t1_iu1z9y5 wrote

More likely that the shooters sold them/got rid of them since they knew they were used in a crime.

Scumandvillany t1_iu1xjp3 wrote

Yeah that part is kinda missing from the narrative. Imo the worst story could be that the guns were in evidence held by the sheriff, and this guy somehow got ahold of them? The story is unclear.

medici75 t1_iu26a1k wrote

there was a cop in nyc they got him on video stealing a pair of bluetooth earpods…fuked himself out of a 2 million dollar job for 150.00 earbuds…what a jakass

Hib3rnian t1_iu13ukg wrote

15 max for illegally selling fire arms involved in a homicide? Here's part of the problem, it should be 15 mandatory per fire arm illegally sold, 25 mandatory for each illegally sold fire arm involved in a homicide. You deter crime with consequences, the more severe the crime, the more severe the consequences.

jackxaniels t1_iu52djy wrote

Small point of clarification - he didn’t sell the guns to the shooters, he sold the guns that were used in the shooting to a CI

NoWarButMyWar t1_iu1gkh0 wrote

15yrs is a long time to be in prison. Longer sentences don’t necessarily deter criminals either.

−6

Hib3rnian t1_iu1i33s wrote

15 is a young age to be murdered too. Might have been avoided if the gun wasn't sold illegally to the shooter. $3k isn't much if you're looking at 25yrs in a cage.

NoWarButMyWar t1_iu1ilfd wrote

15 IS a young age to be murdered, but he didn’t sell them the murder weapon, he sold the murder weapon to someone else afterwards. What I’m sure as shit curious about though is how it ended up in his hands. There’s a lot missing from this piece.

ramvan t1_iu1qz6q wrote

If he’s selling guns no questions asked to people he knows aren’t allowed to own firearms, I think whether or not he sells someone a gun that they will use in a murder isn’t a question of if but when.

RustedRelics t1_iu1ujbe wrote

How TF did this guy get hired in law enforcement in the first place? Wonder how many other crimes he’s committed. Glad he’s going away.

CheeseStrudel t1_iu124ex wrote

15 years is not enough for illegally selling guns which were then used to shoot kids. Illegally selling guns should carry the same consequences as a murder charge.

StubbornLeech07 t1_iu17eb5 wrote

> illegally selling guns which were then used to shoot kids.

Completely agree that the sentence is not nearly enough but just wanted to clarify that he sold the guns after the Roxborough shooting occurred.

Court documents say two of the firearms Ahmad sold on October 13 were traced by law enforcement as being used in a deadly ambush shooting after a football scrimmage at Roxborough High School two weeks earlier.

CheeseStrudel t1_iu1bnqf wrote

My bad, the way I read the title I thought he sold the guns and then the kids were shot, not that he stole evidencer in a criminal case and then sold the guns illegally. Still, fuck this guy to death.

EcksIcon t1_iu11jdg wrote

More information (like a full name FFS) here and here.

Marionboy t1_iu1duzm wrote

So yeah, this is the type of mother fucker who gives the second amendment a bad rap. Lock the bastard up and he should not be allowed to look at a gun again, let alone posses one. Fuck him.

Brahette t1_iu10qjd wrote

Well this is a big yikes

shapu t1_iu1rr7a wrote

Just so everyone is on the same page in terms of timeline,

1 - these 2 firearms were used in the roxborough shooting on September 27th

2 - The guns were only later obtained by Deputy Ahmad, who then turned around and sold them to the confidential informant whom he knew to be a prohibited person.

3 - There is no hint right now that he provided the guns before the shooting and then got them back.

The most important question to ask here is how deputy Ahmad obtained the weapons. Did he know the shooters? Was he actively protecting them? Did he obtain the firearms from the families of the shooters in order to obstruct the investigation or because the families were attempting to do so? If it is the latter case, why aren't the families under arrest for obstruction of justice right now?

And how many other investigations are currently being stymied because the police are actually in bed with the shooters?

Scumandvillany t1_iu23ixx wrote

Yeah it's very strange. Glad the feds are involved, will be interesting. These particular guns and their timeline and corresponding ownership are completely unclear.

SBRH33 t1_iu1eplv wrote

How does an officer from the Sheriffs office come into possession of firearm/ evidence used in an active homicide case?

timesyours t1_iu1o761 wrote

He didn't possess it as evidence, he possessed it as a criminal and it was later determined to be used in the Roxborough shootings, after it came into the possession of the undercover FBI agent.

SBRH33 t1_iu3pxv2 wrote

Law enforcement investigators already knew he had possession of those firearms.

One of the suspects that were already caught coughed up his name and they went from there catching him with the crime guns.

SBRH33 t1_iu1cj4s wrote

Fucking unreal.

JawnStreetLine t1_iu1mcla wrote

Yeah, where are all the copagandists now, besides trying to take down Krasner for going after dirty cops?

Edit: I very much realize this is Sheriff’s office and not under Krasner’s reach, this doesn’t change my point one bit. PD is bitter w the DA for bringing charges & getting convictions against the worst cops, and the copagandists will be in these mentions, as they were when the shooting happened, making racist dog whistles & blaming the DA. This is another perfect example of why cops-like everyone else-need to be held accountable. Retaliation for accountability at that level is corruption and it is literally killing our community.

medici75 t1_iu26ha3 wrote

thought it was the FBI that locked him up for selling guns????

AbsentEmpire t1_iu33y0u wrote

Dirty cops need to be held to account, which is why the power of municipal unions like the FOP need to be checked and reformed.

None of that changes the fact that Krasner is as a fucking clown of the highest order who should be removed as the city DA as fast as possible.

RoverTheMonster t1_iu1t41t wrote

Can someone pls explain why we have a sheriff’s office and what they do differently from the police? My understanding is that the sheriff is a state office and the police are municipal; if that’s right, then what do Philadelphia county police do that’s different/not redundant?

dc122186 OP t1_iu1vfy1 wrote

Sheriff is responsible for security at courthouses and transporting inmates to and from court. They also handle foreclosures (hence Sheriff sales).

T-rex_with_a_gun t1_iu24esw wrote

in other places sherief = county...but since philly = county AND city, we kinda get both

Fattom23 t1_iu16f69 wrote

Does anyone know if Philadelphia Sheriff's are also repped by FOP?

dc122186 OP t1_iu16lxs wrote

I'm guessing they are not. The news stories mentioned this guy was fired. When something like this happens with a cop it's usually suspended 30 days with the intent to dismiss.

NoWarButMyWar t1_iu1gs9q wrote

And then the FOP sues the city and the dirty cop gets to keep their job.

hexagonalshit t1_iu2t2n6 wrote

Should get life in prison. Pure fucking shit

Iceman705 t1_iu35wqn wrote

how the fuck did this guy think selling these guns would end well? what a moron.

Rheum42 t1_iu2c3bp wrote

A philly plot twist

1solate t1_iu2xdwv wrote

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Snakealicious t1_iu3pkj4 wrote

I've lived in Philly for a long time but grew up in the sticks and I need a primer on this. What's the difference between the sheriffs office and the police?

TheBSQ t1_iu4md9k wrote

Earlier this year, there was a former Philly corrections officer who was also arrested for gun trafficking.

https://www.pottsmerc.com/2022/03/11/former-philadelphia-corrections-officer-arrested-on-gun-trafficking-charges

And Philly PD has its own problems with cops engaging in criminal behavior:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/eric-snell-philly-police-corruption-gun-trace-task-force-baltimore-20190429.html

https://www.thefishmanfirm.com/former-philadelphia-narcotics-officers-federally-indicted/

It’s hard to have much faith that our law enforcement officers can or will do anything about crime, when some of them are active participants in that criminal activity.

Edison_Ruggles t1_iu509eu wrote

Why does the sheriff's office exist? The county and city are the same thing.

dc122186 OP t1_iu50ihq wrote

Sheriffs provide security for courts, transport inmates, and do the whole foreclosure process. They're a state organization, not city.

FreeApples7090 t1_iucsrn0 wrote

This is a good reason to defund the police in Philly

bayoubilly88 t1_iu1pv3b wrote

Didn’t he know that was illegal?

AnarKitty-Esq t1_iu34k4s wrote

Color me surprised Philly PD is full of crooks..... fans my face....

−1

gnartato t1_iu1yn6y wrote

So I'm here for all the people telling me, as a CCW holder, am the problem. Go ahead.....

−4

ApoliticalAth3ist t1_iu2b9sj wrote

Absolutely nothing will happen to him. He’ll get a raise and/or promotion in the near future regardless

−4

GamecubeAdopter t1_iu0xy3p wrote

What the actual fuck? Philly PD needs to completely clean house.

−6

BFreeFranklin t1_iu0yc0c wrote

Different agency altogether

dc122186 OP t1_iu0ye69 wrote

But they're still right

BFreeFranklin t1_iu0yyre wrote

Maybe, but Philly PD reformers will probably be more effective if they cite relevant reasons for reform, not problems with unrelated offices.

rossdowdell t1_iu0zwnr wrote

So, not white guys from Idaho?

−13

HornyLocalMILF t1_iu0zvo0 wrote

Shooting happened a month ago, and this Reddit post is the first I’m hearing about it, damn

−31

dc122186 OP t1_iu104j5 wrote

Wow really? This has been all over the news.