Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bpear t1_j1w4m15 wrote

The West End is hit or miss depending on the street really.

The area between Cranston St and Westminster is nice.

If you don't mind sharing what street or general area are you on?

I'd look in the armory district, the area surrounding Dexter park. Also check out parts of federal hill. Closer to Broadway. I use to live there and never had any issues.

AltruisticBowl4 t1_j1wcksg wrote

Would second that there are lots of places on the West End that are super lovely—sort of street by street. I've lived in several spots between Cranston and Atwells (so, West End → Fed Hill) and had only good experiences. Fox Point is lovely as well but it is quite young + sometimes a little too "college student" vibes for me.

Tordek_Battlebeard t1_j1w55ai wrote

I'm by the High school on Fricker St. I'll do some digging on these areas and see what comes up.

bpear t1_j1w6kcb wrote

With an $1800 budget you could find something in a really nice area of Providence.

https://www.grantmill.com/floorplans

not_after_last_time t1_j1x8mev wrote

I lived in Grant Mill for two years and can recommend it. Bit noisy, but that's that whole neighborhood in general. There is a parking lot and you can request guest passes as needed.

buffchix13 t1_j1zqwb3 wrote

Come over by Dexter park. It’s still has its risk but heck of a lot less than the area you currently live in

listen_youse t1_j1woenf wrote

Who advised you to move in there? Any direction you go from there things get different pretty quick.

It's as if there is some kind of system in place that ensures anyone in the whole state having certain kinds of trouble has to keep moving along until they end up on that 4 block stretch of Broad St. How else could every other town congratulate itself for not being a shithole like Providence?

−1

allhailthehale t1_j20puo3 wrote

I live in the 'nice' part of the west end (on the park) and there's still plenty of property/petty crime to go around. Certainly it makes up for it in lots of other ways, but this person is pretty obviously looking to avoid property crime as their primary objective.

OP, I honestly would not listen to any of the advice in this whole discussion.

bpear t1_j20rpgx wrote

I mean where OP is is a serious hot spot for consistent daily crime. I'd stay out of reach of the high school. The surrounding blocks there are notorious for issues. You don't need to go far for the neighborhood to get a lot better.

Other parts of the West End don't really compare. Petty crime exists anywhere in the city. But there are plenty of spots in the west end that you don't need to live in daily fear that your car windows are smashed.

The neighborhood and whole city really can vary greatly just street by street.

allhailthehale t1_j25gu1c wrote

I've lived in the west end for 12 years. I am aware that it's a fine place to live. I'm also perfectly aware that some level of crime is normal in a city.

Even within the last five years, even within in my small three flat building there have been multiple car break ins and my neighbor had his wheels stolen.
It's a livable level of crime-- I'm not freaking out about it. But OP specifically asked for locations with very little crime outside of Providence. This is a bad answer to the question they asked, as are most of the answers in this discussion.

DiegoForAllNeighbors t1_j1w1zw5 wrote

I have lived on the Southside for 5 years between Elmwood and Broad. Real neighborhood. No issues with crime myself despite the persistent negative stereotypes… petty stuff I’m sure happens everywhere… packages taken off front porch etc..

LilOrganicCoconut t1_j1wxj4x wrote

I’ve really enjoyed living on the Southside - I’m right by the cultural center and church. I’ve really enjoyed living amongst my community and have great neighbors. I’ve also had a few inconveniences like you mentioned but I feel safe and we look out for each other when we can.

AmazingTast t1_j1wd2gd wrote

I live in Washington Park. It has a bad rep, but in five years I have had no break ins, no car thefts or damage, and I walk to stores and food trucks with no real worry. I’m a dude, so obviously I’m less fuck-with-able than a single woman. I talk with most of my neighbors and use Nextdoor. The most trouble is bike thefts and loud cars. You can definitely find a two or three bedroom in your budget.

geekgirl717 t1_j1wwsgo wrote

Also in Washington park. We've been here for 21 years now and have had very little issues. Again, mostly nuisance stuff - bikes or packages.

We've never had an issue with major theft or damage of any kind. We *do* have dogs and I think they can be a deterrent, but we've been very happy here.

katiebee11 t1_j1xc17d wrote

Edgewood/Pawtuxet Village is pretty nice. It’s on the outskirts of the city (technically part of it is in Cranston). We love it here and haven’t had any issues with safety. I feel confident walking by myself as a young female and we haven’t dealt with porch pirates. Purchasing is expensive af right now but rentals are definitely in your price range.

Critical-Paramedic89 t1_j1ysw5q wrote

I second this. I live right next to the JWU campus on a dead end street. No crime, porch pirates, or sounds of the highway. We moved from Smith Hill a year ago, and comparatively, you can hear a pin drop in the area.

YesSharks_AreGood t1_j1wjn98 wrote

I live in Riverside and freaking love it. Quieter, don’t need to get on the highway to get everywhere, seven min drive to downtown, and a twenty min ride on the bike path! Potentially not close enough for you but thought I’d throw it out there!

ynwp t1_j20ay6z wrote

I like Riverside a lot, have you had much problems with flooding in the area?

YesSharks_AreGood t1_j20etpt wrote

Not bad, no worse than the rest of Prov, as long as you’re not directly on the water. I actually find it nice living there when there’s flooding because recently it’s been the highway that has problems, which I can avoid, being on the east side of it!

BingBong022 t1_j1xe599 wrote

I have a friend that has a house in riverside right on the water. Such a nice and underrated area in my opinion 👌

iCaligula t1_j1vzw2a wrote

We've lived in Fox Point for almost 8 years. Personally have had no issues with safety or break-ins, though I know of many others who have suffered from break-ins (usually due to leaving AC units in first floor windows.) Keeping windows closed and locked while away or over night is a must anywhere in the city. We walk to downtown from Fox Point almost every day, at all times of day and night.

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1yb8ks wrote

I know I'm in the minority here, but I hated living in Fox Point despite liking to visit. No crime issues, but the proximity to neighbors always kept me up, along with the rampant new construction. I found that even the small yards in other neighborhoods really buffered these annoyances.

Also odd question, but what do you recommend for first floor units with no temperature control? Removing ac units all the time seems difficult and they are often wet from condensation. Just genuinely wondering how people you know have resolved the safety concerns.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j1zqxtx wrote

Window AC units can be secured. There's adjustable braces that or even just a piece of wood works fine if you can wedge it just right.

Even the the visual of some kind of obstacle will serve as a deterrent. That and shit like making it harder to know when nobody's home. Don't have windows you that someone can easily look into and leave a light or 2 on if you don't have the option to put it on a timer.

The "home invasion" break in that's attempted when the person knows people are home can happen but it's nowhere near as common as burglars who are looking for people that aren't home.

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1zro3e wrote

Cool. Great tips.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j1zsnv5 wrote

One other one that might be limiting based on room alignment, but the windows that are easily viewable by neighbors are probably the lower risk ones.

Also having alarm sensors / stickers on an apartment seems to help too. I know people who's alarm stopped working years ago but they still have all those window sensors and shit and it's a pretty good deterrent.

iCaligula t1_j1yoep7 wrote

You’re right about the proximity of neighbors, and nothing you can really do about that.

For AC it’s much better to have the permanent split unit AC system. It’s expensive to install, but worth it in the long term. You obviously you need to be a homeowner or have an amazing landlord to make this kind of investment, otherwise I don’t know what you could do.

Critical-Paramedic89 t1_j1ws5wh wrote

I lived in Smith Hill right off the highway and had no problems.

grem111 t1_j1wqrnq wrote

Do you keep valuables in your car? This sounds like an extreme case for the west end or most of Providence for that matter

LilOrganicCoconut t1_j1wyxor wrote

I don’t have a better way to phrase this, but my Mama always used to say “hood rules apply” in any city lol. No valuables in your car (not even a phone charger cord), know your direct neighbors in case you ever need help, get packages delivered to the side or back if the house, very much mind your businesses, etc.

My husband grew up in Queens and I was a Section 8 kid in Camden so Providence seems pretty tame haha.

Tordek_Battlebeard t1_j1yys9r wrote

No the first two times my car was brand new (to me, I bought used). It was completely empty. I had it for a week then it was broken into, then after 1 month I took it home, three days later it was broken into again, same thing. I had to bring my car back the shop the same week for another month.

grem111 t1_j1zac86 wrote

Huh, that's weird and sucks. Honestly, i could see it just being high school students being shitasses if you live on fricker, but i haven't heard of that as like a known thing they do

Previous_Floor t1_j21bfcy wrote

>This sounds like an extreme case for the west end or most of Providence for that matter

Seriously? Car break-ins are super common in Providence. You claim to be in Federal Hill, so you should understand this (unless you just moved here or don't have a car).

grem111 t1_j21gzu6 wrote

have lived here for 6 years and not known anyone whose car was broken into but you're right, I don't have a car. Just my experience

liliumsuperstar t1_j1wruwd wrote

Elmhurst is nice. Car break ins and thefts still do happen, though. And like all of Providence, it can really vary by street. Look for a bit of distance from PC and Pleasant Valley Parkway. Prices are still high but starting to turn around a bit.

For other communities you could look at North Providence or Smithfield. I’m less acquainted with prices there.

OctoberRust13 t1_j1zuawr wrote

yeah the area over by PC is really nice. between Smith and Admiral,,.but mostly houses it seems, not a ton of apartments?

liliumsuperstar t1_j1zx7qk wrote

Yeah mostly houses. But some do rent out, and lots more are on the market.

velveteenSlippers t1_j1zcn51 wrote

I’m in silver lake area, looks dodgy, but no problems so far. Moved from federal hill and it’s like a whole different world. Quaint and quiet. If you’re looking to buy, silver lake is an up and coming market - worth looking into.

determined2019 t1_j1xh6z3 wrote

Come to Warwick! I’ve lived in providence all my life but bought my first home in Warwick 2 years ago and we love it ! We get the same convenience but with a more community feel.

ynwp t1_j20aqfg wrote

I like Warwick a lot, but it is not very walkable?

nodumbunny t1_j1xqmye wrote

You can look up the crime stats for any area you're considering. For your budget, you can afford the East Side (which still has crime but not as much as some West End streets). Riverside and Rumford in East Providence will get you more space for the same money and lower crime rate.

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1y9ccp wrote

Hey OP, a lot of the neighborhoods mentioned here are a mixed bag depending on the street and preferences-- like I assume you mean South on Fricker but not North on Fricker from the schools. Considering your current neighborhood you hated, I would strongly recommend you do not buy as your next move since finding the right neighborhood right now feels like guesswork(I'm going to assume you're new to the area). I've seen people come on here and complain because they have a mortgage in a neighborhood they hate.

I would also recommend you avoid Smith Hill, the west end might still give you anxiety still due to this experience, and South Providence. Don't get me wrong, these are fine neighborhoods but its not a guarantee you will be happy if you dislike the area you are currently in and they can vary a lot within the neighborhood. If you do choose one of these neighborhoods, I would spend time there to get a vibe of whether it is for you or not since you have so long to keep browsing.

Elmhurst and the East Side or surrounding towns are probably the best bet, but if you're testing to buy then Elmhurst is most likely to still be in budget along with areas like EP.

I also have to wonder if you have a more expensive car given the damages you quoted (but I realize they might have just done some bizarre/expensive stuff). I will say that in some neighborhoods an expensive or new car doesn't blend in well and might be targeted more. For example, a Tesla or a BMW residential parking on the west end would stick out, but on the East side is ultra common.

Tordek_Battlebeard t1_j1yy5cs wrote

In the attempted thefts they ripped out the steering column to try hotwiring it. Not an expensive car, I'd but be broke without insurance... Thanks for all the info, much appreciated!

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1zy76d wrote

That sucks. I have been here for about a decade and it'a a huge benefit knowing many areas of the city super well. That being said, there are still entire neighborhoods I don't know very well at all. I suggest you rent somewhere that you can afford a mortgage so that you can vet whether this is a place you's want to make a 10+ year commitment. Research everything from the schools (if you plan on having kids know what route you want to go), to the traffic patterns, any pollution you might want to know about, etc. There's a lot of subtle stuff it's good to know about going into it.

Jlee143xo t1_j1x909w wrote

Leave providence if you can. We rented at the lofts at Pocasset (providence/Johnston / Cranston ) line and loved it. We paid about $1650 for 2 beds in 2019. Extremely safe area

Mountain_Bill5743 t1_j1ya2ro wrote

Just for reference, 2019 prices are way out of date. Website shows that is now the price of a 1 bedroom there (so still in OPs price range, but for context).

Jlee143xo t1_j1zc1in wrote

This was a 2 bed 2 bath at the time. One beds are currently under $1850

huron9000 t1_j1zncpb wrote

It’s true, this a very safe and convenient area. Probably getting downvoted by hipster snobs.

radioflea t1_j1xjuyz wrote

I would recommend Pawtucket/EP over Providence.

Both are just as close to the highway and you’ll probably get more space for the same if not less rent, plus you’d likely have 1-2 designated parking spaces.

Jerkeyjoe t1_j1zh7ud wrote

My favorite neighborhood I ever lived in is probably fox point. It has lots of amenities on Ives and wick (I need to be in walking distance to a sex shop).

The issue with fox point is it can be a bit higher traffic, lots of pedestrians and can be hard to park at times. I'm biased because I'm partial to bodies of water tho.

The least favorite neighborhood I lived in (Providence) was probably mt hope. It has good access to the highway though at the time I was taking the train which wasn't too far but that hill was brutal. Safety wise, nothing ever happened to me but you would always hear about crime stuff happening at the local playground. People say that camp st is notoriously bad.

grem111 t1_j21hcor wrote

>(I need to be in walking distance to a sex shop).

lmao go off

BingBong022 t1_j1xeqls wrote

Barrington and East Greenwich are nice and safe not too far of a commute to Providence

−4

[deleted] OP t1_j1w30a7 wrote

Besting and worsting neighborhoods isn’t cool.

−18

Tordek_Battlebeard t1_j1w4o9f wrote

It depends on the metrics used for justification. My metric is safety. What are the best and worst neighborhoods in Providence based on property and violent crime statistics as well as personal experience. If my metric was race or national origin, yes, ranking neighborhoods best and worst would be problematic. But really, I just want to go to bed and not wake up at 3 in the morning to check if my car still has four windows.

Previous_Floor t1_j1x40uf wrote

Safest:

Elmhurst or anywhere on the East Side (other than the Mt Hope neighborhood).

With Elmhurst, avoid the immediate areas that border Valley, Smith Hill, or Wanskuck.

ynwp t1_j20bbm1 wrote

I think people still keep their doors unlocked in Garden City in Cranston. Very safe here.