And then close to 50 again a few days later, last I saw lol

danhm t1_j6i6upg wrote

Good day to clean the oven.

Synapse82 t1_j6k5fzi wrote

Hm. Not a bad idea. I’ve actually never used that cleaning option

biffNicholson t1_j6kk9eh wrote

Get ready for some weird smells when you clean that oven

SamDiddlyAm07 t1_j6lq12y wrote

The self cleaning feature on ovens is pretty dangerous and not recommended by appliance techs. Just FYI!

Synapse82 t1_j6mm23s wrote

Thanks, I was seriously considering this weekend lol. I normally just heat up a wet cloth in the microwave and clean it by hand which seems to work ok

Cooldude588 t1_j6kse9z wrote

Make sure to put your headphones in because your smoke alarm may go off.

smkmn13 t1_j6i0phe wrote

But can we get some SNOW?! Because right now it looks like it's going to warm up again on Sunday and rain again Sunday night ugh.

DoctorMcAstronaut t1_j6imnyl wrote

I put the snow thrower on my tractor in November. There will be no snow this year. Sorry guys.

The--Marf t1_j6jnd2d wrote

I've tried to do my part. Didn't even turn on the snowblower in December. It's not helping.

BP_Ray t1_j6i6nd3 wrote

No. Snow stay away please.

−1

shoeshouuu t1_j6in34s wrote

Don't know why you are being downvoted. Probably from children who don't have to plow or have to work

Acheron13 t1_j6jnf22 wrote

People who work from home who just think snow is pretty.

Lou666Minatti t1_j6ihqbe wrote

I hope the upvote/downvote ratio turns in your favor

fuck global warming but also fuck snow

DerpolIus t1_j6i6xx7 wrote

move to florida

buddhaplayshockey t1_j6ibtvs wrote

Florida is a mosquito, lizard, and old people shithole.

DerpolIus t1_j6kns67 wrote

I’ll amend my statement to say Atlanta, Georgia if that makes it better.

BP_Ray t1_j6i7vlu wrote

No, you move to Canada.

DerpolIus t1_j6i8u09 wrote

It’s supposed to snow here, so you’re the one out of place

BP_Ray t1_j6imsna wrote

And yet it isn't snowing, so who's really out of place?

DerpolIus t1_j6knmsq wrote

The weather, mostly. Why don’t you take that back down south with you when you move there?

BP_Ray t1_j6lol05 wrote

The weather you're looking for is north and west right now, maybe if you love the snow so much, why don't you follow it?

thesbaine t1_j6i5j4h wrote

RIP my electric bill with electric heat.

dirtyMETHOD t1_j6isyuh wrote

Look into a pellet stove, there is a 30% tax credit that started at the beginning of this year. I run one stove pretty much all winter long and turn my second one on when temps get below 30*F. They don’t pull too much energy and the exhaust system is simple and easy to maintain

Yokiboy t1_j6itqi7 wrote

I was looking at these before winter. How much space does it need?

dirtyMETHOD t1_j6iu4uh wrote

Yokiboy t1_j6ivm6o wrote

Great! Thanks! Out of interest, what was your all-in cost?

dirtyMETHOD t1_j6iwr23 wrote

Good Stoves anywhere from $2000-5000 depending on size, feature and what not. I would choose a Harman stove as those are workhorses, parts are available for servicing. I have a 10+ year old Harman Advance that just needed cleaning so far. Little graphite powder when it gets squeaky. I built my own hearth pad with Durock fireproof backer and ceramic tile for under $100. Exhaust can be 300-600 depending on your set-up. If you pay a company to do it, I think the tax credit covers more than just the stove. Call your local dealer and get a sense of what they are charging. Try to call at least 3 places. I found 2 local ones that were “gougy” when I was doing my research.

yk78 t1_j6l8r02 wrote

I just got a Harman installed in a 1700 sq split level ranch and love it. The P43 model is what we went with and it sits almost right up against the wall.

Space wise there is a 2” gap from the back of the unit to the drywall and sits on a 36x36 bluestone which meets manufacturer recommendations and thus CT regulations. There’s a 2” pipe that goes straight out and up the side wall about 3’ up on the outside. Total cost installed was just under $6400. Keeps the living room where it’s installed at around 72 f and the back rooms about 67 f on medium heat. I burn exactly one bag over a 20 hr period. This is roughly in 25-30 degree external temps so it’ll vary depending on weather and of course house insulation. Cost wise I am running a killawatt device to measure cost and it’s only showing about $20 month usage based on Eversource effective rate of about $.35 kWh which I think might be low. Pellet fuel runs about $210 per month give or take.

Overall I’m very pleased because I can keep the whole house liberally warmer at lower cost. My ROIC is roughly 4 years. After that I should be saving an extra $200 month.

mersh547 t1_j6kjny3 wrote

Absolutely love my pellet stove. Let's us barely touch the houses oil heat.

dirtyMETHOD t1_j6kkylh wrote

Agreed. When I have them running it keeps it right around 70-72* average, on extra cold days when I turn both on, it’s usually between 70-74F, I keep my thermostat for the HVAC at 67F all winter long and it only burns oil when temps get below 15*F.

My wife loves it and has the X- shaped clothes drying racks, so on laundry days, she sets them up in front of the stove in the dining room to dry the clothes and it adds a nice touch of moisture and that nostalgic fresh laundry smell to our house. We run humidifiers in the bedrooms to help with the dry air (two daughters and our room too).

I’ve lived with a Pellet Stove since 2008 and can’t see life in New England without one. Efficient and adds a nice touch without much maintenance.

burnout524 t1_j6koel8 wrote

This is good advice. While I’m saving up for one, my in-laws have one and heat their 1,600 sq ft colonial almost exclusively with their pellet insert. They use about 3 tons of pellets (~$900 this year) and 1 tank of oil a year.

I was quoted $6800 for a Harman pellet insert and install - pricy, but the Harman is the best of the best. And when I looked into this in September, they were backordered until late Feb/early March. I was also looking into mini-split heat pumps too, which are a much more efficient electric heat source, but was quoted $28,000 for that system (which also turns out was too small for my house anyway).

If you don’t mind the hard work, a wood stove works good too - I had one at my old house (with electric heat) and heated almost exclusively with the wood stove - that was back during all those crazy October storms, so firewood was free and plentiful. Too much work for me these days though.

dirtyMETHOD t1_j6kpcp8 wrote

I think the feed/burn system on the Harman’s are much better than the burn pot style(my first stove was a QuadraFire Classic Bay 1200, still running from 2008). I prefer the cleaning/maintenance of the Harman above other stoves, that for me is the best selling feature since I’m doing the maintenance anyways.

burnout524 t1_j6kq0nv wrote

I was looking into a Comforbilt for half the price but maintenance sounded like a nightmare (not to mention Made in China vs. USA). Plus Harmans have been around a long time. My in-laws and brother in law both have them and they’ve both been solid units.

dirtyMETHOD t1_j6kqot2 wrote

I’m looking to replace my freestanding Harman Advance with the newer Allure model.

I went down the rabbit hole of looking at other brands and saw some nicely designed European stoves, but after maintaining Harman stoves for several years…. I don’t think I’ll go for other brands. They have gotten it right for so long, for me anyways.

Maintenance is very important to get the best efficiency, I’m not lazy, but I don’t need Land Rover type maintenance, I’m a Lexus type of guy.

fprintf t1_j6i76le wrote

Back to early-mid December temps! It is really going to suck.

dovakinda t1_j6jbpg0 wrote

Same. I’m getting a wood stove installed Feb 9th

eleyezeeaye4287 t1_j6jwoep wrote

Same. My electric bill last month was insane.

thesbaine t1_j6jz3xx wrote

Mine was north of $700 in a modest house, but to be fair it’s the stupidest version of electric heat I’ve ever seen.

eleyezeeaye4287 t1_j6jzqdf wrote

Omg. Mine was $560 for a 2000 square foot house. We just moved here so it was sticker shock for sure.

thesbaine t1_j6k0psd wrote

You probably have baseboard resistive or, at least, radiant floor. I have radiant ceiling, the most earth 70’s coke driven heating solution.

eleyezeeaye4287 t1_j6k5o28 wrote

We have baseboard to my knowledge (which is very limited lol)

thesbaine t1_j6kwbg1 wrote

All good. We're looking at switching to a heat pump. It isn't cheap, but my god it's better than what we have.

reptarcannabis t1_j6kkbhy wrote

Radiant ceiling ? Like wat

thesbaine t1_j6kvuyf wrote

Again, coke fueled early 70's design.

Twas a silly time.

ImpossibleParfait t1_j6pbbj6 wrote

Literally makes 0 sense. If you own the place I would look into a replacement. Heat rises, bet its nice and toasty up near the ceiling!

xomns13 t1_j6l0hom wrote

I've been doing great so far, only use it in my bedroom when it's in the teens.

DonutsNCoffeee t1_j6hxkf7 wrote

I’m heading to Australia on Wednesday. Think I’m leaving at the right time!

himewaridesu t1_j6i713z wrote

How dare you take warm air with you to an already warm place? … safe travels!

SadAd9756 t1_j6iuoic wrote

One of my bucket list vacation destinations. Enjoy you lucky duck!!

unicornbomb t1_j6ii8fn wrote

Please pick a season, CT. This weekly subarctic to spring yo yo is hell on my sinuses.

Milwaukeebear t1_j6i7alu wrote

I moved here from CO and we seem to get their weather a week later. Now if we could only get some snow, F all this rain

ayyyImaos t1_j6i40xq wrote

Snow plx...I don't care how cold it gets I want to get pounded w snow

koebelin t1_j6k3v79 wrote

A token winter day.

Furry_Thug t1_j6kqd6r wrote

This is it. Winter in CT has been reduced to 1 weekend. Me so sad. :(

realbusabusa t1_j6ihccq wrote

Pellet stove time

timmahfast t1_j6iring wrote

Pellet stove has been the best investment I have made. People who don't have one are missing out.

zgrizz t1_j6jel5h wrote

TituspulloXIII t1_j6oc28d wrote

That's the UK, they are far more densely populated that we are. I'm a huge fan of wood heat (just installed an outdoor wood boiler). Burning wood makes a lot of sense in more rural areas. But if everyone in a densely populated town/city got wood stoves it would certainly get smoggy.

wholepailofwater t1_j6il5m7 wrote

Golfed every weekend in January. Loved it. Keep that snow in VT and NH. I'm good.

laptopAccount2 t1_j6kl9cw wrote

I work outside. After about 5 years of working outside I have noticed my body adapts to the change in seasons regularly, in a way it did not used to.

But this winter has really disrupted the nice rhythm I had. Now I'm going to suffer in a way that I otherwise wouldn't have if we didn't have this warm weather.

The animal part of me is being directly impacted by climate change.

EmEmAndEye t1_j6ipy3q wrote

Whaaat?! CT weather can be so psycho … 50° now, and -5° Saturday.

Normal_Platypus_5300 t1_j6it6xn wrote

February just isn't going to let us get away with a cold snap free winter, is it?

RocketElbow t1_j6j6uq2 wrote

Time to season my castiron.

ShinyCarbon t1_j6ktlpv wrote

Hopefully we take all of winters cold at once and move onto spring!

haikusbot t1_j6ktn05 wrote

Hopefully we take

All of winters cold at once

And move onto spring!

- ShinyCarbon

^(I detect haikus. And sometimes, successfully.) ^Learn more about me.

^(Opt out of replies: "haikusbot opt out" | Delete my comment: "haikusbot delete")

Puppyl t1_j6i0mgg wrote

It’s supposed to get down to -6 for where I live… what the fuck

crankygeese t1_j6kt0y3 wrote

Luckily it’s just Friday-Saturday, but yikes, that is just brutal!

realvikingman t1_j6ku2mu wrote

For whatever reason reddit is recommending this subreddit.

Currently living in the mid-hudson valley going on year two. Lived in Minnesota/Iowafor 25 years. Is 5 to -10 VERY abnormal? lmao, respectfully and not trying to gatekeep coldness

kruszer99 t1_j6l11vy wrote

It is when it has been in the 40s for the past month

rusty___shacklef0rd t1_j6lhi3o wrote

we’ve just had a really weird winter over here and we’re going through a lot okay?

rewirez5940 t1_j6lqkf4 wrote

It happens about once a year. Sometimes twice. Sometimes none. We skipped first winter this year and after on to winter 2 of 3.

ReluctantToNotRead t1_j6k3ye9 wrote

Hockey players are happy at my house! Yard rinks should finally freeze again.

Sassafrass17 t1_j6ktym5 wrote

I'm in the Bahamas 🇧🇸 😎 Praise God

Beneficial_Look_5854 t1_j6l3760 wrote

Saw geese flying north, they’re assholes but I pity them this time.

HenryTheFjord t1_j6l83o7 wrote

This weather is down right scary for horse owners with these temperature swings 😕

AJH05004 t1_j6ipc49 wrote

Left my heat at 50 when I went out of town, hope it's enough.

shoeshouuu t1_j6in8e2 wrote

Nobody gunna much the -12

−1

angeldeb82 t1_j6il3s4 wrote

Wow! Satuday will be extremely cold, I can tell! 😮

−3