Submitted by JayhawkInMaine t3_ya6fo9 in Maine

New to Maine & I bought a house that’s 190 years old. As a fun thing to do with the kids, I’d like to recreate some old traditional Maine recipes on the wood cook stove.

We did something similar when we moved to GA 10 years ago & the kids had a lot of fun. Would love to try it here also.

Anyone have any you’re willing to share?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DeceptivelyBreezy t1_it9kulw wrote

When snow arrives, you can make “wax-on-snow” — scoop up a bowl of freshly fallen snow and drizzle maple syrup over it, then eat the frozen syrup like taffy. (I don’t know if it’s a Maine thing, but I think it’s at least a New England thing!)

HatManJeff t1_it9mv3o wrote

You’re thinking of sugar on snow. You need to heat the syrup to almost carmalizing then put it on the snow.

200Dachshunds t1_it9ns7c wrote

you can do it with maple syrup too, mom and I used to make them in the freezer when I was little. They don't hold up at room temp though so it's more a novelty.

Subject_Meat5314 t1_it9um8e wrote

the key is it’s not maple syrup, you have to keep boiling the maple past syrup stage but stop short of burning it or crystallizing.

200Dachshunds t1_it9yd70 wrote

Gotcha. I’m just operating off little kid memories, so I’m sure you’re right.

Subject_Meat5314 t1_ita4wyi wrote

haha i’m just talking like i know things anyway. your memory’s as good as mine i’m sure

drunken_storytelling t1_itanjqy wrote

We do it every year at easter. You're right, you have to heat the syrup til it's just boiling and then pour it in strips on the snow. Peel eat and enjoy!

lantech t1_itcdv48 wrote

It is with maple syrup. I used to have this at my granparents house in northern vt. and they and their old neighbors called it sugar on snow.

lsanborn t1_itdexal wrote

This is described in detail in Little House In the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

lingophilia t1_itbjq5q wrote

When I was growing up, the local farm did maple sugar snow for Maple Sunday every year. It didn't solidify on top, but was more like a snow-cone. Super yummy as well!

cerrvine t1_it9p7v5 wrote

If traditional recipes are anything like what I grew up with.. it would be boil the food to death, and add salt and butter.

drunken_storytelling t1_itanqfc wrote

Salt? What is this you speak of?

Not sure if it's a traditional thing but my grandmother often makes New England Boiled Dinner. It's just a slab of beef, carrots, potatoes, turnips, and cabbage boiled literally all day. A whole stock pot and she probably adds like a teaspoon of salt. I don't understand why they all love it...

fLux3303 t1_itbjbx5 wrote

It’s an Irish thing if I’m not mistaken, but I’d never heard of it til I moved to Maine… boiled dinner…

lipsticknic3 t1_itbqm2g wrote

An Irish blood who transplanted in Maine, maine was the first time I had heard the term boiled dinner

lsanborn t1_itdffpn wrote

My family made this with corned beef. I think before refrigeration was common they used salt preserved beef. So no extra salt needed.

springer0510 t1_itahfvg wrote

Or cook the Thanksgiving turkey for 15 hours

justadumbwelder1 t1_itbjpso wrote

Like the one in christmas vacation where it splits open the second the knife touches it?

KingfisherC t1_it9j60e wrote

Make ployes, you will not be disappointed.

Edit: could have said disapployented

acister t1_it9s2m2 wrote

yes ployes! was going to suggest and they beat me to it. acadian crepes, can do anything with them

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_it9jmmm wrote

Nice, thanks! Have never heard of these before now. What’s your favorite way to eat them?

KingfisherC t1_it9lg19 wrote

They are amazingly versatile. Add syrup or other sweet things for a pancake-ish experience, or eat them alongside savory things sort of like injera bread. You can put on butter, jam, gravy, really anything.

Thegayjt t1_it9p8c9 wrote

Spread some butter on the warm ployes, sprinkle some brown sugar on top, and then dip them in some maple syrup

16F4 t1_ita8p6v wrote

Eat them like bread during a meal. My grandmother liked to spread mustard or creton (pork spread sort of like head cheese…Hannafords sells it in the deli).

kitchenwolves t1_itbokyx wrote

Ployes are so versatile 😍 I grew up eating them with applesauce & sour cream. You can spread the batter super thin onto a flat pan to make easy crepes.

Ecstatic-Bandicoot81 t1_itc12yw wrote

up here, a diner outside madawaska, Dollys, serves them with everything. I guess the "signature dish" would be the chicken stew n ployes. Dont expect a traditional pancake- they're made with buckwheat.. and dont let the greenish (?) tinge to them throw ya.

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_itpuj13 wrote

Follow up: made ployes this morning. Drizzled them with a little maple syrup. So good! Thanks for the recommendation!

KingfisherC t1_itq89a8 wrote

Glad you liked them :) they have aged very well as a foodstuff, and I'm surprised they aren't more popular with their simplicity and price.

grrgrr99 t1_it9qfyd wrote

Smelts and fiddleheads come spring

haditupto t1_it9lsbj wrote

Check out historical cookbooks! Archives collect them and digitize them - here is a collection at Michigan State University, there are quite a few from the era you are looking for..not specific to Maine, but there is one from 1807 from Boston.

The Maine Women Writers Collection at UNE also has some historical cookbooks that may be from Maine- can contact them if the aren't digitized.

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_it9qroa wrote

Thank you!

SmellsofElderberry25 t1_itbt892 wrote

Also University of Maine has some traditional recipes (many already mentioned here) though they don’t give a ton of history. https://umaine.edu/undiscoveredmaine/category/recipes/

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_itbtufw wrote

These look fantastic. Thanks!

lsanborn t1_itdhny7 wrote

If you go to your local library they have access to libraries (and consequently old cookbooks) from all over the state. Churches used to collect family recipes, bind them and sell them as fund raisers. Baked beans are the quintessential Maine food. Every family does them a little differently, but always from dried beans, which are soaked all night and then cook all day in that wood stove that’s blazing all day anyway to heat the house. Potatoes boiled with the jackets on. Finnan Haddie and red flannel hash. Can’t say I’m a fan of these but the names are worth the price of admission. With beans my Dad always had “brown bread” which came in a can.

hoardac t1_itg5ew6 wrote

We were still part of Massachusetts in 1807 so it works.

fLux3303 t1_it9gwj3 wrote

ha ha red hot dog go brrrrrr

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_it9h968 wrote

That was a welcome gift from a neighbor. 3lbs of Jordan’s. So good!

HatManJeff t1_it9mp9m wrote

Fanny Farmer cook book is a great cook book for old tymie WASP cooking.

janbrunt t1_ita27jm wrote

Definitely some fantastic old times recipes in there.

standardbanana t1_itbeb9k wrote

I remember my mother’s old copy of this. It was (is?) held together by duct tape. My sister must have it because I certainly don’t and it’s not something one would get rid of!

sage4wt t1_it9sib0 wrote

Salt cod. Boil the salt out of it, rinse and repeat about 3 times then make a gravy with flour and milk and serve over Maine potatoes. By far, my favorite comfort food.

TheGrandLemonTech t1_it9pcqj wrote

Townsends has you covered for early American recipes, unsure on Maine specific ones though.

Liamson t1_ita35b7 wrote

I second this. It's a fantastic resource for cozy early American style food and stuff.

Half-Baked-Acorn t1_itbget7 wrote

^ Agreed! They feature many recipes from NE and early Massachusetts before Maine became a state. On top of that, they produce some very wholesome content and have multiple videos with kid friendly recipes. Actually with how simple many of the recipes are, I’d say most are kid friendly anyways ha.

derpingandlurking t1_it9yo6e wrote

There’s a rare and historical cooking bookstore in Biddeford https://www.rabelaisbooks.com/ claims to have 6 centuries of cookbooks bet they’d have some Maine stuff

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_it9yvot wrote

Nice!

derpingandlurking t1_ita0d6k wrote

I’d also recommend asking at your local library, you could also search the statewide shared library as well, I love getting cookbooks from libraries to see which ones are worth buying

jumpypapayacat t1_it9uk9j wrote

Welcome to Maine! What a great way to connect with the state and your home’s history. Thanks for sharing this idea! (And sorry I have no food suggestions!)

kauaime t1_it9mliz wrote

What area are you in? I have a few cookbooks from 1895 on. Or what type of meal and I will pick one?? I always loved Sunday baked beans in a real bean crock, in a wood stove.

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_it9r2nd wrote

I’m in Lincoln. Always interested in what would be considered comfort foods of the day or desserts are always good, too. Thanks!

wheresmyglass t1_it9ru00 wrote

Head to the library or the historical society in town. Those folks can take right care of you. I might suggest a type of ginger bread/cake so many different types.

kauaime t1_it9z7ox wrote

I'll look through a few, pick a couple and try to photograph or scan them and PM them to you over the next few days. Great post by the way.

lsanborn t1_itdis25 wrote

Indian pudding! Cornmeal, molasses can’t remember what else. My dad also showed us how to pull taffy outside in the winter so it wouldn’t stick to your hands. Hi from Old Town.

LonelyHeart2022 t1_it9mx3t wrote

Fresh Trout or pretty soon venison. Trout with fresh herbs and a little lemon and salt. Venison with butter. Garlic, green peppers, onions, parsley, a little thyme salt and pepper

Lady-Kat1969 t1_ita35df wrote

Check out old book stores and local thrift stores; I've found all sorts of old local cookbooks that way. If you were a little closer, I suggest stopping by Washburn-Norlands Living History Center and asking questions.

Of course, the easiest thing to cook on a woodstove is stew: chunk up your meat (dredge it in flour if you're using beef), brown it slightly, add just enough liquid (broth is best but water will do), chop up some root vegetables and throw them in, and let it simmer. You can add things like corn, peas, string beans, etc later, although if you want to keep the stew thick you may need to cook them separately and then add them. Herbs and spices are whatever you want in whatever amounts you like. My own preference is to use enough liquid that I can throw in a cup of barley before setting it to simmer, but YMMV.

16F4 t1_ita9mhz wrote

Check out “Good Maine Food” by Marjorie Mosser. It was published in 1947, but has lots of classic “old timey “ recipes from the 1800s. Believe it or not, it is still available as a paperback and can be found on Amazon (but please buy it from a local bookstore).

bern_trees t1_it9myqp wrote

Better get your hunting license for this white tail season!

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_it9rn7l wrote

I have a bit of acreage with the house. Hoping to harvest on my own land this year.

Hammer_the_Red t1_it9szi5 wrote

You should go to Michigan State University's library site. They have been creating a historical database of American cookbooks. You should be able to refine the search for Maine and 19th Century.

Overall, it is a fantastic rabbit hole to get lost in.

Albitt t1_it9yr0f wrote

I have some recipes from the very early 1900’s and on that belonged to my great great grandmother. She was born in like 1899 and lived to be 105! I could dig some of the very early ones up sometime and send some pictures. They aren’t 1800’s recipe, but very old nonetheless, and cooked by a 1800’s Maine born woman!

marrymejojo t1_ita1b8n wrote

See if you can find a copy of Robert tristam coffins book. 1st edition is called "mainstays of maine" and the reprinting was renamed "maine cooking: old time secrets"

One of my favorite old regional cookbooks. Has the most legit recipe for lobster stew of all time.

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_ita2o8p wrote

Sounds like it’s right up my alley!

marrymejojo t1_ite673j wrote

The guy was a poet. Its a really fun read. Things arent really in a recipe format... he just sort of writes about things and explains how to make them.

marrymejojo t1_itelxio wrote

Here is the lobster stew recipe. I'm trying to read it and condense to a recipe...

Steam lobster with their backs turned downwards. After that. Pick the lobster over a bowl so you can reserve all the liquid from the lobster.

As he says "save every part part of the hot lobsters except the shells, the colon, and the stomach"

The proportion onf meat and liquid should be 50:50.

Sautee the tamale in equal quantity of butter. 7 minutes. Then add the lobster meat, blood, and juice. Cook for 10 minutes.

Gently add some cream and simmer very gently.

Cool and allow to sit for a day if you can for according to him "for every hour that passes increases the flavor, not arithmetic, but Im geometric progression"

CocoShaynel t1_itcghel wrote

Baked beans and brown bread steamed in a can.

anisleateher t1_ita5bym wrote

Cooking Down East is a classic cookbook from the 1960s. Our friend, who did her thesis on cookbook design and their influence on culture, gave it to us. Mostly the recipes are from later than you requested, but it's a great look into the food of Maine and NE.

DirtyD0nut t1_itaytj3 wrote

Look up Maine recipes for: Brown bread and beans cooked in a hole Whoopie pies Fiddle heads Strawberry rhubarb pie Boiled supper (/dinner?) Maple syrup

gigistuart t1_itbh204 wrote

Wow these comments are way off ! They must have been flat landers !! Maine has some great food - most of it can be grown right here ! Traditional baked beans , apple pie, strawberry rhubarb pie , lobster stew , dandyLion greens , Harvard beets , New England boiled dinner is with corned beef and root vegetables ! Let me know if your really interested in some great New England recipes!!

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_itbhmm4 wrote

I’m certainly interested in all recipes that connect my family to the culinary history of Maine. I imagine there’s quite the variety given what part of Maine you hail from.

ecco-domenica t1_itbn56a wrote

Look up Sandy Oliver. She does a weekly recipe in the Bangor Daily News, not from the 1800s but based in traditional Maine cooking. She's a food historian and I believe she wrote a book on New England food ways that would be authentic to your house's age.

AdditionalRow6326 t1_itbv2nv wrote

Indian pudding on a cold day! Fish chowder w canned milk, baked beans and if you want to go extra dig a bean hole in the back yard and play horseshoes while they cook ALL DAY!

JayhawkInMaine OP t1_itbvvl8 wrote

And I’ll definitely be trying a bean hole. Just need to find the right bean recipe first. I’ve see a lot of different variations.

Have one that’s your favorite?

AdditionalRow6326 t1_itxslkr wrote

Navy or soldier beans from a local place, a hunk of bacon fried in a pan with the par cooked beans, enough water to cover them by about 2 or 3 inches, a big dollop of ketchup, molasses, couple heaping tsps of dry mustard, plenty of S&P a sprinkle of nutmeg and a whole peeled onion with the root cleaned but still on. Let her bake in the hole (or the oven all day) stirring occasionally (in the oven) and simmering a can of steamed brown bread in a water bath on the wood-stove (or the stove top). Look up the King Arthur Flour recipe, and steam a few red hot dogs for your protein! Voila! Its a good meal! A 1lb bag of beans will make a 8qt dutch oven full. Following day I like then reheated w a sunny side egg and a slice of pan fried brown bread w butter.

crystalgem2017 t1_itbzj8z wrote

How has no one on this thread yet mentioned anadama bread? That's a ME thing and a great hearth bread, it has roots that go way back too.

pjbenny311 t1_it9lv9k wrote

Can't go wrong with moss soup

01Zaphod t1_ita1gyo wrote

If you go to Blue Hill library, you’re guaranteed to find historic recipes from Maine.

janbrunt t1_ita2veg wrote

Someone already suggested Sunday beans, so I’ll throw in slack-salted cod. My dad used to buy the stuff from people’s yards when we would drive through rural Maine. It’s done when it’s the consistency and texture of beef jerky.

https://downeast.com/maine-iest-foods/salted-fish/

lsanborn t1_itdjlum wrote

They used to dry it on the clothesline! I used to love it as a kid. Can’t manage it now.

xach t1_ita5q15 wrote

Check Bud Leavitt’s 12 Months in Maine. It’s a grab bag of a book and all of it interesting, but a big chunk of it is traditional Maine recipes.

BeemHume t1_ita996h wrote

This lady lives in a 200 year old house on an island and writes articles & has books. She is legit. There are a few others like her around

Candygramformrmongo t1_ital35e wrote

Check out the Townsends on YouTube. Lots of historical American recipes.

Stunning_Ad9784 t1_itbkrdt wrote

Blueberry gingerbread, with home made whip cream. Fish cakes with corn and potatoes. And as many have already mentioned baked beans, with bacon or syrup. Soups that are hearty with squash, pumpkin or potatoes were the given at my grams house on the Woodstove. She would always wrap potatoes filled with onions and butter in foil and throw them on the edge of the fire. This is the same lady that made seaweed cassarole.( I don't recommend).

Fabulous-Opposite838 t1_itbmp3t wrote

When I think of food that’s traditional, been tried and tested, and is Maine-y, I think about vegetable hash and baked beans. You can find a good vegetable hash recipe on the Maine.gov website. Congratulations on your home and welcome to Maine!

BurningPage t1_itbv7l8 wrote

I have two books full of traditional Maine recipes from that period. Dm me and I can find a way to send some pictures. They are thick books full of raccoon pie.

haditupto t1_itz6kk6 wrote

Would you mind sharing the titles? that sounds interesting!

BurningPage t1_itz6pja wrote

Ok so it turned out the recipes are a little more eclectic and recent than the 1800s. Here’s some grabs I took for OP: https://imgur.com/a/avjsd0P

haditupto t1_itzasem wrote

that's amazing thank you - porcupine livers? good stuff! (I mean, not like to eat of course)

hfsd1984 t1_it9xmid wrote

While I don't have a recipe, this is a great idea!

ScarletFirye t1_itabhbn wrote

I have some older recipes I can share with you! I’ll find them in the morning!

Dramatic-Ad7828 t1_itabq16 wrote

My family came from Miane and we always ate pork pie on Christmas eve. Going on 6 generations, boil ground pork with diced onions strain it and put it in a pie crust. You will probably want some ketchup to go with it.

ohjeeze_louise t1_itaf3b0 wrote

One of Americas first celebrity chefs was a woman who worked on an island off the coast of Maine, cooking for rich people. You can find some of her recipes online, her name was Maria Parlova.

ichoosejif t1_italca3 wrote

Call York Historical Society. They know.

dontbanmynewaccount t1_itbpykn wrote

Check out antique stores along with gift shops of local museums/historic societies - they almost always have old recipe books. I have an old 19th-century Shaker cookbook which is fun. I also have a copy of “Early American Cookery” by Sarah Josepha Hale. Lastly, I have a copy of “What Salem Dames Cooked” which is an old New England cookbook. All of these I got at antique stores or gift shops for museums/historical societies.

bruff9 t1_itbzzyy wrote

Not sure how old beer bread is, but I grew up with it after my parents bought a community cook book. Lots of Mainers seem to make beer bread but nobody I know from out of state has heard of it. You might also want to look into Marge Standish and her books. Again, I’m not sure if it’s 200 years old, but her stuff is very Maine.

danlson381 t1_itdweh9 wrote

Try some of the recipes from The Yankee Chef by Jim Bailey. He included some traditional old recipes from the time period you’re looking for in the margins. There are some really solid recipes in here, you won’t be disappointed!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Yankee-Chef-Feel-Every-Kitchen/dp/076434191X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2X82IJGMNV7NT&keywords=the+yankee+chef&qid=1666476692&sprefix=the+yankee+che%2Caps%2C102&sr=8-1

1cooldud t1_itcf7t7 wrote

Sugar, Purple, Water.