You must log in or register to comment.

ImperialIIClass t1_j8xvpit wrote

This entire sub needs a Civics lesson.

mandar35 t1_j8za0a7 wrote

This is why they want to get rid of the department of education

ScienceWasLove t1_j8xzsf6 wrote

This is the way.

WinterWontStopComing t1_j8yjw8i wrote

I always feel a compulsion to respond with And also with you when I see someone do this quote… not even really sure why. thanks catholic school

DifferentJaguar t1_j8yrb2k wrote

And also with your spirit ***

TwoTimeRoll t1_j8z5u8r wrote

I was Catholic growing up but now am only ever at a Mass for weddings and funerals. Those changes trip me up every time.

motherofdogz2000 t1_j8ytzlu wrote

Grew up episcopal and we said that.

WinterWontStopComing t1_j8yu9dx wrote

I was raised Roman Catholic and same. We we’re also told y’all were the cooler version of Catholics if memory serves right

Big_Page_2845 t1_j8z0ht4 wrote

My ex-husband grew up Episcopal. He thought they were way classier than Catholics. Didn’t like the Catholic Church.

zerooze t1_j8zwud6 wrote

Aren't episcoals basically just Catholics without the Pope?

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_j91iz4h wrote

*deep breath* Okay, so this is complicated, but the short answer is... in some ways, yes, in other ways, no. They have some theological differences, and organizational differences, but they're quite similar in other ways.

(And technically they recognize the pope as a fellow bishop (the Bishop of Rome), and as the leader of the Roman church, but NOT as the leader of the Episcopal church/Church of England. See Primus Inter Pares.)

(And if you really wanna break your brain, hardcore technically Episcopals are both Catholics AND Protestants. When you say "Catholic" you're probably referring to "Roman Catholic" but there's more than just the Roman church and the word "Catholic" (with a capital C) has a specific meaning and encompasses a number of different churches.)

zerooze t1_j92cipi wrote

My comment was an oversimplification, I'm aware. Since the comment was that they use the same phrase, I was intending to point out that they are theologically very similar, and not surprising they would also use the phrase "and also with you."

C4bl3Fl4m3 t1_j93633c wrote

Sorry, this is just one of my favorite subjects.

porkchop_d_clown t1_j8y3089 wrote

I'd blame public schools but I don't know that the private ones are any better...

maxwellington97 t1_j8xxggd wrote

There is a weird historical parallel to Woodrow Wilson who some believe his wife ran the show from behind closed doors for a bit while he was sick.

But if fetterman steps down, Shapiro can appoint whomever he wishes and that person will serve until a new election is held and he will choose an established politician.

HomicidalHushPuppy t1_j8y9tkt wrote

>Shapiro can appoint whomever he wishes

Amazing how quickly people forgot about Rod Blagojevich's impeachment. Illinois governor got impeached for trying to sell Obama's senate seat when he became president.

GoodKingMomo t1_j8yu83o wrote

I remember that guy…Trump pardoned him.

[deleted] t1_j9071sj wrote

[deleted]

−12

GoodKingMomo t1_j913y9r wrote

So he was in prison for convicted corruption and Trump got him off the hook and released from prison…got it.

Jerryjb63 t1_j9371yq wrote

I don’t see where anyone was shifting blame, just pointing out the fact that Trump freed his buddy he knew from being a contestant on his reality tv show. The only error was one of being of he was commuted and not pardoned, but to the average person that doesn’t really matter, the point was made.

cuppa_tea_4_me t1_j9536gz wrote

As did Eleanor Roosevelt and possibly Nancy Reagan. And someone is doing it for Biden.

−3

Trout-Population t1_j8xv9b6 wrote

The process for replacing a US Senator is the same in every state. Governor appoints a temporary replacement, special election must occur within two years. If the term is less than two years from ending, special election is not necessary. Shapiro could appoint anyone, and at one point in time appointing the wife of the Senator who stepped down or died was extremely common, but these days its unheard of. Shapiro would probably appoint Conor Lamb or Malcolm Kenyatta or somebody like that.

Trill_McNeal t1_j9017lb wrote

Just to clarify your point, that’s correct for PA, but it is not the same in every state. Most states allow the governor to replace the senator until a special election can be held but some have restrictions on who the governor can appoint, some require the appointee to be from the same party as the outgoing senator and some require the state house to approve the appointee. 4 states do not allow the governor to replace the senator at all and require a special election.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/05/03/how-do-states-fill-vacancies-in-the-u-s-senate-it-depends-on-the-state/

GraffitiTavern t1_j8xtxdn wrote

Well it's theoretically possible if that's who Shapiro appoints, but not that's not gonna happen I don't know why right-wing media is so obsessed with her. No clue who Shapiro would appoint if Fetterman steps down, but it isn't gonna be his wife.

Thulack t1_j8xvora wrote

They are obsessed with her because she doesn't look like them.

artisanrox t1_j8z1dw9 wrote

And she was also an asylum seeker if I'm not mistaken.

Watchyousuffer t1_j8y5ego wrote

I think it goes back to when fetterman suggested appointing her as his replacement in Braddock

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j8ykfbi wrote

That makes sense. It seemed like such an illogical talking point but I’ve been hearing it since the election

jamesvabrams t1_j8z8hpy wrote

There have been a number of wives who were appointed to fill the term of deceased congressmen. Two that I can remember were Carnahan and Boggs. It's not automatic nor guaranteed though.

SnooRevelations9889 t1_j8zokeb wrote

Senators not congressmen. Representatives can only be elected, per the Constitution.

Ninjago987 t1_j917ybx wrote

Why not appoint Oz since he was in second last year??? He wanted the job.

Haha. I know no way Shapiro would cross party lines.

−8

RoyalEagle0408 t1_j964bbd wrote

That’s not how it works? If Trump was removed from office it’s not like Clinton would have replaced him because she was second in 2016…

Ninjago987 t1_j96ax8j wrote

Did you not see the “Haha”? I am very aware it wouldn’t happen.

saltymystery43 t1_j8y2od5 wrote

If Fetterman resigns, Shapiro will appoint someone to fill the vacancy.

benny86 t1_j8y08bq wrote

It's not unheard of. Widows have been appointed to their late husband's senate seats 8 times. The most recent was Jean Carnahan in 2001. A Governor could appoint the widow as a placeholder until the special election and not be seen as trying to play favorites or influence the election.

porkchop_d_clown t1_j8y37vd wrote

This.

It's not required, it's not the law, but there seems to be a tradition of appointing the spouse to take a seat until the special election is held.

susinpgh t1_j8xsp7g wrote

Wouldn't the Governor appoint someone until a special election could be scheduled?

Alternative-Flan2869 t1_j8z08cn wrote

Fetterman’s wife is awesome.

stahleo t1_j90twil wrote

...at being Fetterman's 24/7 caregiver.

−4

Unethical_GOP t1_j8y01tx wrote

My guess is Shapiro would appoint the golden boy - Conor Lamb.

ell0bo t1_j8z205w wrote

ugg... Fetterman to a corporatist, that'll be fun

IamSauerKraut t1_j8zojes wrote

Unlikely.

I'm actually thinking he might appoint someone like Rep McClinton. 2 firsts in one swoop.

PatientNice t1_j8zqb0a wrote

Giselle Fetterman would be better, more empathic, more caring and smarter than any sitting Republican Senator.

UShouldBDancing t1_j919xih wrote

I won’t repeat all the good explanations here of how replacing elected officials works but, seriously, is this a question that needs to be asked?

Clinical depression following a stroke is common. A stroke causes chemical changes in your brain. Psychiatric care and medication can help people recover to their normal selves.

Point is, it’s unlikely he’ll be unable to continue to serve any more than someone who has a heart attack, or a stroke, or a severe trauma injury. Our other senator was recently diagnosed with cancer and no one made dumbass claims about his spouse gunning for his job.

Background from ASA about post-stroke depression

RoyalEagle0408 t1_j964pxg wrote

The discussion about Fetterman being capable of being in office vs Casey has been really frustrating to me. It’s almost like because Casey has been in for so long and wasn’t just elected that people forget about him. But also, no one thinks cancer (that required surgery!) will keep him away from votes and whatnot? The weird double standard is stupid. They’re both dealing with health problems that they are openly taking care of. It’s unfortunate timing but they are both capable of doing their job.

axeville t1_j91c10q wrote

Understandable republicans are confused bc in the gop everything requires the blessing of a retired guy in Florida who is under various investigations for corruption.

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j91l5i8 wrote

Don’t talk about my Donald that way!

axeville t1_j91n904 wrote

Psssh he's retired after all his candidates lost their midterms.

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j91znaz wrote

Could you let him know that? He seems to think he’s still running the show. Lol

throwaway12132222 t1_j8ytrlk wrote

If a Senator resigns, dies, or is removed, the Governor appoints someone to finish their term. Here, this idea is largely stemming from a custom that is sometimes followed, mostly when a Senator dies: Sometimes a Governor will appoint the Senator’s spouse to continue their “legacy.” The decision is up to the Governor, however, and anyone who is Constitutionally permitted to serve in the United States Senate is allowed to be appointed.

Jrc127 t1_j93jyxe wrote

Is this a reference to Theresa Heinz's appoinment to her husband's seat when John Heinz died?

FMG1978 t1_j8xsa2c wrote

Have you tried google?

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j8xsdd4 wrote

I prefer Reddit trolls to search engines.

porkchop_d_clown t1_j8y3dkt wrote

Well, if you insist. I googled it for you: What happens when a US Senator dies?

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j8yll80 wrote

Not very trollish, but thank you!

porkchop_d_clown t1_j8ynepe wrote

LoL. I bow my head in shame. However… I SHALL BE BACK! And with a better link. ;-)

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j8yo48v wrote

When in doubt, just link to r/sounding.

−2

porkchop_d_clown t1_j8ywmbh wrote

Okay. For the record, i gave you an up vote. But now I’m running to the bathroom for the eye bleach.

FMG1978 t1_j8xsnim wrote

Yes, his wife can take over for him and becomes senator for life due to a technicality in how the law was written

−9

martymoran t1_j8xuejm wrote

this is misleading. theres no technicality or chain of command where a vacated senate seat automatically goes to the spouse of the former senator. The only way his wife would “take over” is if shapiro appointed her to the seat, which i guarantee would never happen.

Phl_worldwide t1_j8xypt5 wrote

In what world is his wife the next most qualified person?

SunOutrageous6098 t1_j8y04fm wrote

This isn’t the point, but you’re implying that all our electeds are qualified. Have you ever listened to them speak about how human reproduction occurs?

I don’t think Mrs. Fetterman has any interest; but as others have stated- Governor Shapiro is able to appoint whomever he chooses. Once a person accepts the nomination, a special election must occur within 2 years of the appointment. The nominated person can run, along with others. The winner of the special election would serve the remainder of the term. The special election doesn’t necessarily need to be separate from a regularly scheduled election cycle, but the office must be on the ballot within two years of the appointment.

Phl_worldwide t1_j8y0l20 wrote

…what? I don’t need you to explain how the process would work. I literally just responded to the notion that someone as unqualified as her shouldn’t be in any discussion

−6

SunOutrageous6098 t1_j8yy6g4 wrote

I’m saying she is no more or less qualified than some currently elected people who say things like “If it’s a legitimate [assault] the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”, while arguing that women don’t get pregnant by non consensual sex.

The Constitution sets three qualifications for service in the U.S. Senate: age (at least thirty years of age); U.S. citizenship (at least nine years); and residency in the state a senator represents at time of election.

She meets all of these qualifications.

Edited to add that today, an elected official proposed a bill to abolish the Department of Education at the end of the year. So I’m interested to hear what you think makes someone qualified to be a U.S. Senator, beyond what is outlined in the Constitution.

Jkane007 t1_j95rufo wrote

Believe the gov appoints. But there’s a history for spouses doing that if I’m not mistaken. I would think some former candidates would get it before her though.

Inert_Uncle_858 t1_j8yervx wrote

That's ridiculous. That's not how this country works. Yet.

nouseforanametoday t1_j8z7z6g wrote

Well state Senator Dave Arnold (R-lebanon County) was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer at the start of his campaign. Despite a terminal diagnosis, and a life expectancy of around a year, he was elected because he was a republican. He made his last public appearance in November and was dead by February.

If what I am told is correct, he lost his mental functioning around November and it got to the point that he did not recognize his family. Very sad situation for all involved. However apparently he was considered mentally stable enough to give his proxy for others to vote in his place.

I don't understand the rules- but apparently there is no test required to allow another person to cast your vote in the state government. Totally unregulated.

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j8zd0da wrote

Well that is not good

nouseforanametoday t1_j8zfxn5 wrote

The situation was certainly sad. I don't mean to minimize it. But there has to be some established standard to give proxy, right?

Sukkit74 t1_j8zp781 wrote

Fetterman ain’t going anywhere. This is a political move to de-stigmatize getting mental health help. He will come out stronger and push a good message out while doing so.

And there’s nothing wrong with that.

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j8zpflh wrote

Well, the way you describe it as a political move sounds a bit gross. All in favor of getting help if you need it though

stahleo t1_j90u556 wrote

How do you know he will come out stronger? Are you a doctor or just a wishful thinker? Sounds like the latter.

−1

GoodAcanthocephala95 t1_j93wsn9 wrote

Hopefully replacing Fetterman will be unnecessary as he gets well quickly

cuppa_tea_4_me t1_j953a9c wrote

Fetterman is unable to perform his duties. But was this known before he was elected? Would that make this fraud?

Kenesaw_Mt_Landis t1_j96hqzf wrote

The next senator is chosen by who can pull the sword from the stone.

bassmaster_gen t1_j8xsa5m wrote

The most likely scenario IMO is he resigns (as I hope he does for his health), and Gov. Shapiro appoints another Dem to serve the remainder of the term

−1

susinpgh t1_j8xws8c wrote

IMO, she would refuse the appointment. She has no interest in becoming a politician herself.

−2

Watchyousuffer t1_j8y5v85 wrote

They asked she be appointed mayor of Braddock, so she must have some interest

susinpgh t1_j8ybzsc wrote

They asked, but she must have turned them down or she would have been mayor. She has tweeted several times that she doesn't want to hold public office.

−2

Watchyousuffer t1_j8yd7p7 wrote

Sorry, to clarify, the fettermans asked and council turned them down. Here's an article from when it happened: https://web.archive.org/web/20190429090228/https://theincline.com/2018/11/15/john-fetterman-asked-braddock-council-to-appoint-his-wife-interim-mayor-members-say/

susinpgh t1_j8yfi5f wrote

Wow! I'm really surprised, I know she's tweeted that she isn't interested in holding office. I'm really surprised.

−2

IamSauerKraut t1_j8zostg wrote

Yah, because being mayor is like being senator. She's got kids. They will come first.

−2

artisanrox t1_j8z1obd wrote

Not hoping for a need for an appointment, but certainly for a Keyatta appointment if absolutely needed 😎

−2

powersurge t1_j8ynj1c wrote

I would support her as a long time Fetterman supporter. She and John are always campaigning together. Like always. We have a progressive Senator in PA because of the two of them.

Said another way, if Shapiro were to turn around and appoint Conor Lamb, I will be super pissed.

−3

FiendishHawk t1_j8xufym wrote

No, but she can run to replace him in the election.

−7

[deleted] t1_j8xws7k wrote

[deleted]

Woodyee101 t1_j8y5050 wrote

Fetterman is a complete waste

−17

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j8ylvtb wrote

You’re almost definitionally correct. He’s been in place for 5 weeks, contributed nothing meaningful and capitalized on access to better healthcare than most other Pennsylvanians could receive.

−4

irishhank t1_j8zpzeg wrote

https://www.congress.gov/member/john-fetterman/F000479

Cosponsor of 13 bills or resolutions in a month? of work. Not sure how much they’ve been in session. Maybe it’s a waste to you but to me it looks like he’s doing his job. Sucks he’s having a rough time and hope he’s back to work soon.

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j90x5ab wrote

Co-sponsor, as in signing his name to a bill.

13 signatures a month, what a workhorse.

irishhank t1_j9108he wrote

He’s a fucking freshman senator in his first month on the job. What did you want from him? Do you know what he did the days the senate wasn’t in session? Just sat around and did nothing right? I’m sure you know what all the other senators did and how they’ve done so much more work than fetterman, right? Do you know what the typical daily duties of a senator actually are?

What do you want from people? You want them to say “oh damn I should have gone against all my principles and beliefs and voted for Oz?” Do you think this is gonna convert hundreds of thousands of democrats to republicans? Yeah, not gonna happen. You asked a stupid question as a front to trash the man who had a stroke. Clown.

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j91l03p wrote

No, Oz was a loser from the jump, so there’s no reason anyone should convert for him. Conversion in general doesn’t help anyone.

But people, I presume like yourself, have raised Fetterman up as a folk hero, who is going to make a difference. In the end, just like all the others, he is a career politician just like all the others, playing his role as the progressive savior.

What do I want people to do? Ideally, realize none of these people on either team care about you. Stop putting any trust in them, because all they do is take. Be independent, think critically.

ChickenGreaseLips OP t1_j8ylydv wrote

Maybe not a waste, but just an extraordinarily large placeholder?

−4