Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

warren_stupidity t1_ivy9kva wrote

I don't care if we stick on ST or DST, but we should stop changing the damn clock twice a year.

ralettar t1_ivzwbyz wrote

All year Day Light Savings time is the answer

carpdog112 t1_ivyal19 wrote

No. I don't want a 4:00AM sunrise in June, that's a waste of perfectly good daylight. Either eliminate standard time or maintain the status quo.

OccasionallyImmortal t1_ivz8uc9 wrote

It seems so backward. We don't need extra evening daylight in July because even without DST it's light until 8:30, but we do in January when it's otherwise dark at 4pm.

Beautiful_Repeat_718 t1_ivyg8cw wrote

It's only a waste of daylight if you're not up doing something while the sun is up.

−5

carpdog112 t1_ivyvxzo wrote

Which is exactly my point. Getting your day started at 4:30AM is much more reasonable than 3:30AM because you can go to bed at 9:30PM and still get a solid seven hours of sleep. I don't know about you, but I don't like getting ready for bed before Jeopardy is finished. Even if you're not going to take advantage from first light, the later sunrise also means you can take advantage of more of the cooler morning hours. If I can start making noise at 6:00AM and get a solid five+ hours in before the sun burns me out versus having to start at 5:00AM to get the same five hours I think everyone will be happier with that outcome. Unless you want to hear my chainsaw running at 5:00AM.

Beautiful_Repeat_718 t1_ivyxhpr wrote

2 weeks ago, my 10 year old was getting on the bus at 6:45am in the pitch black morning. I don't give a shit if you don't get your night time day light hours if it means she is at risk of some asshole hitting her while she is waiting at the bus stop to go to school.

Also, I'm a grown up. I've watched the sunrise for the last decade. I don't give a shit if you start your chainsaw at 5am, maybe it'll inspire my kids to get up and start their day instead of sleeping til noon.

−15

jetsintl420 t1_iw00gie wrote

We don’t just expect people to drive off the road because it’s dark at night.. Having us all continue to change our clocks twice a year so your kid has a little extra light at the bus stop is peak parental entitlement

carpdog112 t1_ivz1hef wrote

So I guess we could compromise and maintain the status quo, maybe end daylight savings time a little bit earlier. But as it stands, with a 6:45AM pickup time, your child is going to have to wait for the bus in the dark at least part of the year December through January irrespective of whether we stop changing the clocks. Ending daylight savings time might reduce the absolute number of days your child will be waiting in the dark, but it doesn't completely solve your issue. You might want to consider alternative solutions like petitioning for later school start times or looking to create a bus stop with protective bollards.

Mermaid_La_Reine t1_iw0225f wrote

My parents walked me to my bus stop with a flashlight ...as other parents did. It was farm country and people got up early. We’d have a flashlight in our coat pocket for early mornings, or walking back from the store when the sun was down by 5pm.

SabbathBoiseSabbath t1_ivzu4ak wrote

Must be tough. As if for decades kids weren't doing the same thing.

Maybe we blame all of our current social woes and individual maladies on the fact we had to wait for the bus in the dark as kids.

JackWWalsh t1_iw0ex28 wrote

Move NH to Atlantic Time Zone and drop Daylight Savings!

reddittheguy t1_iw0ych3 wrote

That is functionally the same as going to year round Daylight savings, just with a different name.

anti-authority1374 t1_iw99hhc wrote

Move into the Atlantic time zone and make DST all year round. The earliest sunsets will be 6:15pm in the winter.

Imaginary_wizard t1_ivxtwn8 wrote

Isn't it make daylight savings permanent? We are off daylight savings now.

Dramatic-Ad7828 OP t1_ivxu3pu wrote

No we want to eliminate it, if you check out the map New Hampshire would see no real difference in sunrise / sunset times through out the year.

−15

Automatic-Raspberry3 t1_ivxuhnf wrote

No we need to either be on daylight savings permanently or Atlantic time so we see more sunlight in the evening.

greenasinapple t1_ivytmrn wrote

Yeah remove the concept of daylight savings and just move everyone forward a timezone so everyone stays on a standard timezone but get the afternoon daylight.

SheeEttin t1_ivz45zo wrote

Agreed. I don't think we need a sunrise before 7 AM. I'd rather have sunlight into the evening.

Automatic-Raspberry3 t1_ivz7c0v wrote

Even for an energy perspective when folks are home and awake daylight makes sense.

OccasionallyImmortal t1_ivz9pgf wrote

It does, but they're also home in the morning when it's darker. The last extension of DST was sold as a way to save on energy. After two years, they learned that it just shifted energy use to the morning and lead to a slight increase.

Ted_Fleming t1_iw0vcwv wrote

Eliminate standard time

reddittheguy t1_iw0y8su wrote

This is the correct answer.

If you live in the upper peninsula of Michigan I can see why you might not feel that way,

But year round standard time in NH means 4:15pm sunsets in the winter and 3:58am sunrises in the summer. That straight up isn't an efficient use of daylight for the vast majority of people.

selimnairb t1_iw2e4py wrote

Michigan is too far west to be in Eastern Time. New England is too far east. Move MI to Central Time, and New England to Atlantic Time, then stay on Standard Time all year. May need some other changes to zone boundaries as well.

VenserSojo t1_ivxw6in wrote

The only reason we didn't have a vote allowing for states to opt into permanent daylight savings time was the house not voting on the senate's bill, as for going with standard time over DST I really don't care, I just want the time to be consistent.

leogodin217 t1_iw0a69j wrote

Living in AZ really made me appreciate not doing daylight savings time. There are so many health problems. It's really a bad idea.

bubbynee t1_iw2cjaz wrote

Grew up in AZ. Moved to Virginia then back to AZ and now live in NH. I truly hate daylight savings.

reficius1 t1_ivzj0o3 wrote

Who cares? Just stop already with the flopping back and forth by an hour. Split the difference and leave it there.

Zeptari t1_iw05h3m wrote

I’ve been saying this for years move the clock 30 minutes, the halfway point and leave it there. Problem solved.

GraphiteGru t1_ivzlwst wrote

At least the sundials tell the correct time now. Live near an old one and the number of people during the summer that would say , "hey this sundial is wrong" was astounding.

___RosaLux t1_iw1174b wrote

I’m honestly blown away that there are a number of people who can actually read a sundial, let alone know what it is.

Imaskeet t1_iw0028t wrote

You guys do realize if we had permanent standard time that sunrise would be as early as 3:48am in the summer for some people, right?

Can someone please explain to me why they'd want to take away an hour after work people could be doing things in order to create that? Because I truly can't wrap my head around it. Seems like such a waste of good daylight hours.

-cochise t1_ivy4ri6 wrote

What if we just split the difference and did like UTC+5:30 or whatever?

nick-j- t1_ivzgkq6 wrote

Newfoundland does it. Its interesting out there but being 90 minutes ahead of the East Coast is whack.

akmjolnir t1_ivy8a1h wrote

Literally the only smart choice.

Split the difference, and call it a day.

−1

Zeptari t1_iw05mma wrote

Yup move the clock 30 minutes.. The halfway point.. just leave it there. Problem solved.

−1

NyxOrTreat t1_ivyqyti wrote

I wonder whether and for how long permanent DST will last this time around. Personally, I’m not looking forward to late-morning sunlight in winter and late-evening sun in summer. I hate when the sun is up and it’s nearly 10 pm.

lechydda t1_iw076ho wrote

I have to get up before 7 on most days and having that extra bit of sun definitely helps. Having the timeframe shortened has seemed to work ok, because there aren’t too many really dark mornings. IMO it’s easier to have some lights on in the evening than trying to get going in the pitch black morning. I wouldn’t want it one way or the other all year round and changing it incrementally would be ridiculous. Maybe one day if the whole world had digital clocks the time could be adjusted every couple weeks, but we are like Star Trek levels away from that.

jaybirdjackit t1_iwpsqjg wrote

I say split it 1/2 hour and leave it

238bazinga t1_ivyx6ca wrote

Look, daylight only affects my planespotting time. The more time with the sun in the sky, the better I can get shots.

JayBisky t1_iw1g6hf wrote

It's gone next year anyways who cares

WoobieBee t1_iw1uanj wrote

I am not sure that is true. Fact check pls.

JayBisky t1_iw29usa wrote

The Senate already voted and approved the sunshine protection act look it up itll roll out in 2024 it was approved in 22

rahnster_wright t1_iw2ags4 wrote

You are missing some key things: Congress nor POTUS have not taken action on it, so it didn't pass (yet). Senate doesn't make laws by themselves.

JayBisky t1_iw2aowv wrote

The bill has like 73% bi partisan support they literally just need to vote on the matter and it'll go through there's absolutely zero reason not to do so

rahnster_wright t1_iw2awkk wrote

That's if they take it up and assuming you're right and it passes.

JayBisky t1_iw2cahs wrote

Why wouldn't they pick it up and vote?

rahnster_wright t1_iw2dmyp wrote

Congress is waiting on a report from the Department of Transportation and that report may not come until after it's too late to take up the Sunshine Protection Act.

WoobieBee t1_iw5doxp wrote

And the law says it needs the approval of the other chamber, and the law currently says the transportation secty needs to approve it…

Mermaid_La_Reine t1_iw018mq wrote

It’s Standard Time now— just leave it alone.

It’s the same light every year—it’s never been a surprise. 9-hours of daylight in Winter, 12-hours in Spring/Autumn, and 15-hours is daylight in the Summer. It’s hardly law-worthy.

There are 24-time zones, one for each hour of the Earth’s day. If you push back one Time Zone, it will out of sync with the natural order. High Noon is where the sun is at its peak (zenith) each day, this has been Science behind sundials for eons.

Also, Latitude effects sunlight. What works for Florida or Texas for sunlight, will not work for MN or New England (or England, Sweden). With or without time change, some areas of the world can experience 24-hour sunlight or or 24-hour night. That’s just Natural. No legislation ‘creates’ more light.

This started 7 November, and by 21 December we’ll start coming out of it. It’s a natural cycle.

Also, If we just kept on Standard time, I’d never have to change every clock I own twice a year, and my dog would be much happier as well. (‘Well, they forgot to feed me. I’m abandoned. I’ll stare at them woefully for an hour...’)

“Time ‘Change’: only a fool would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.”

−3

redsteakraw t1_iw0a7lr wrote

No leave it on Savings time more people hit Deer driving back from work at darker times it kills more people and is just wrong. Still won't have to change the clock once it is set and we get the safest of the options. Also the one where you have a day left after work to do things.

raspberrybee t1_iw0knze wrote

Then they’d be hitting deer before work instead of after because there’d be such a late sunrise.

EricInAmerica t1_iw04j1f wrote

>There are 24-time zones, one for each hour of the Earth’s day. If you
push back one Time Zone, it will out of sync with the natural order.
High Noon is where the sun is at its peak (zenith) each day, this has
been Science behind sundials for eons.

There are a LOT more than 24 time zones. India is offset from GMT at +5 hours, 30 minutes. There are some others (e.g. Chatham Islands) that are offset at 45 minutes.

High noon doesn't correlate well with the zenith anywhere, ever.

Mermaid_La_Reine t1_iw06eue wrote

I did not count each 30-minute area.

time zone map with 24-zones

‘Solar noon is the time when the Sun appears to contact the local celestial meridian. This is when the Sun reaches its apparent highest point in the sky, at 12 noon apparent solar time and can be observed using a sundial.’ (Wikipedia: Noon)

Edit: Let me introduce you to the Analemma and it’s relevance to solar noon.....

“In astronomy, an analemma (/ˌænəˈlɛmə/; from Ancient Greek ἀνάλημμα (analēmma) 'support') is a diagram showing the position of the Sun in the sky as seen from a fixed location on Earth at the same mean solar time, as that position varies over the course of a year. The diagram will resemble a figure eight.” (Wikipedia/analemma)

deaddrums t1_iw087wv wrote

Wow man, thanks so much for bestowing us with the infinite wisdom that congress can't change the Earth's axis of rotation! I never thought of it that way! Everyone knows this is about how people's work/school schedules fit into daylight hours. But yeah, you're totally so much smarter than all the fools who think dropping the time change will alter the mechanics of the Earth's orbit.

−4

mrplow3 t1_ivzwk03 wrote

Unpopular opinion: Leave it, it’s fine. Nobody has had a problem for the last 100 years now everyone cries about it every year. I don’t want to get up in the morning in pitch black during winter.

It’s fine, deal with it.

−5

redsteakraw t1_iw0aegu wrote

Plenty of people have had problems with it for the whole 100 years. Also plenty of people want the sun to be out when they leave work so they are less likely to hit deer, but you want people to die.

l337quaker t1_iw0p48p wrote

Yeah because deer aren't active in the morning ever, so they can't get hit if it's dark when people go to work!

/s

Ted_Fleming t1_iw0vme4 wrote

Not just deer, time change is linked to more frequent heart attacks and strokes

redditthrower888999 t1_ivxuwmm wrote

This was tried already and quickly reverted back. Why? Kids were getting hit at bus stops.

−8

warren_stupidity t1_ivya6g6 wrote

"That month, a National Safety Council survey found no appreciable change in the number of early-morning fatalities between January 1973 and January 1974. And a Reuters report said the United States had used about 2 percent less energy because of the change." (paywalled WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/03/18/daylight-saving-seventies-history/)

The problem is and was media driven panic.

Beautiful_Repeat_718 t1_ivyg2hq wrote

They need to redo that survey, as it's unfair to use a nearly 50 year old survey to judge how the world is now. There weren't self driving cars in the mid-70's.

−3

warren_stupidity t1_ivyi16f wrote

The data hasn't changed.

Also self driving cars? That ain't a real problem, but if you have evidence that self driving cars are more dangerous than human operated vehicles please cite it. And I do not mean anecdotes, I mean valid statistical evidence.

5nd t1_ivyfm5c wrote

This misinformation is extremely dangerous to our democracy

Beautiful_Repeat_718 t1_ivyft4e wrote

As I just commented above, a week and a half ago, it was pitch black when my kid went to meet her bus at 6:45. If they want to end it, that's fine, but they need to end it by not "springing forward' again. I'm sorry if that means that you don't get that much sunlight at night in the summer, but 3 months of extra light when you get out of work isn't an equal trade off for my kids safety.

−10

so_it_goes90 t1_ivyj513 wrote

I know it’s a bit of a tangent, but why don’t we start school later? It tends to have better results for kids anyway

Loosh_03062 t1_ivyunox wrote

The arguments I've heard usually revolve around how much it'd mess with athletics schedules and filling of part-time jobs.

Azr431 t1_ivz0o8n wrote

Because we do everything backasswards in America

redditthrower888999 t1_iw0ts6h wrote

We aren't the only ones changing clocks in the spring and fall.

Azr431 t1_iw2nbz3 wrote

This was about sending kids to school way too early in the day

OccasionallyImmortal t1_ivz9a4w wrote

Schools start early so parents are able to get them there before they get to work. Of course, we could also start work later. That would lead to getting home later which then absorbs any extra daylight due to DST and we're right back where we started.

Beautiful_Repeat_718 t1_ivyzlgg wrote

My kid starts school at 8:20 am. She has to be at the bus stop that early because of the number of kids that require the bus to transport them to school because their parents have to be at work between 6-9 am. Pushing the start time of school back helps no one.

−2

hoochmania t1_ivy2bht wrote

In March of 2022 the US Senate voted to end daylight savings PERMANENTLY…….next spring we go forward 1 hour for the LAST TIME

−12

deathtopumpkins t1_ivyahxb wrote

The Senate passed it but the House hasn't even considered it yet. And almost certainly wouldn't pass it.

rahnster_wright t1_ivz5zuj wrote

Hi, friend, you are not correct. While you are correct Senate voted to put an end to this clock-changing nonsense, neither Congress nor POTUS has taken action yet.

Beautiful_Repeat_718 t1_ivyfhbf wrote

If were going to end it, then we need to keep it as the time is now and not "Spring Forward" again. A week and a half ago, my 10 y/o was getting on the bus at 6:45am in the pitch black. Since we're not changing the start time of school to be later, we need to keep the time change as it is so that it's safe for small children waiting for their busses that early in the morning.

−9

cwalton505 t1_ivylr13 wrote

Maybe kids shouldn't go to school so early for a variety of reasons and should be looked at as a separate issue.

I'd rather it not be dark at 4pm, and to relate it to school kids, there was no bus after basketball practice so I had to walk home in the pitch black at 5

thread100 t1_ivynum4 wrote

And I don’t see kids walking to bus stops and school anymore in this area.

cwalton505 t1_ivyo66e wrote

Yep... stop at every single house. Even next doors by 30 feet

Beautiful_Repeat_718 t1_ivyzd8s wrote

I remember being a kid and my brothers and our upstairs neighbors had to walk a 1/4 down the road to the house of one girl whose house was designated the bus stop. I could never understand why she wasn't made to walk up to our apartment building instead of making 5 kids trudge down the side of the road to her house. Thinking back on it now though, her mom was a major Karen, so it makes sense.

Beautiful_Repeat_718 t1_ivyya82 wrote

The start time for my 10 year old is 8:20am . She has to be on the bus at 6:45 because of the number of working parents who also start their work day at 8-9am. The bus system has to stop and pick up all these kids, which isn't a lot, but takes time to make the drive and all the stops.

People are also a lot more cautious in the evening than they are in the morning. I don't know how many mornings I drove to work at 5-6 am thinking "there's no one out right now", but I never had that thought once at 5-6 at night.

−3