Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PracticableSolution t1_jeeid6m wrote

If people are leaving, then where’s the glut of housing stock?

mk1power t1_jef1b7a wrote

Frankly, most of the people that left were priced out.

They were priced out because demand is way higher than supply.

Them leaving probably had an extremely minuscule impact on the excessively high demand by potential buyers.

It’s an interesting metric, but one that’s probably driven by the housing market as opposed to driving the housing market.

Unless full remote becomes a reality for most Americans (and even then…), I doubt we will see a long term change in metro NYC housing.

PracticableSolution t1_jef3aps wrote

Good point and I misspoke; “if the population is going down, where is the housing stock?” is what I should have said.

BriarKnave t1_jefdcmh wrote

Being bought out by all consuming rental companies and investment funds.

jeandlion9 t1_jefi9iz wrote

That’s made up according to some here lol but I’m assuming they were rich lol

−3

[deleted] t1_jefqx8m wrote

[deleted]

breakplans t1_jefrwd1 wrote

People with more money, and also willing to go into more debt (I’ve heard about some insane mortgages - you’re not supposed to buy as high as possible!), or who have families with money willing to buy them a house. My husband and I talk about this a lot - why do people have bigger houses and nicer cars than we do? But the answer is, they’re more comfortable with debt than we are.

[deleted] t1_jefst9m wrote

[deleted]

schwatto t1_jegkftr wrote

Actually we’ve pretty consistently gotten outbid by flippers and investors who are renting out. Not companies but just people with deep pockets. We need a rule where everyone who wants gets a plate before you can get seconds.

Dry_Examination6776 t1_jeeoyto wrote

They’re being bought by banks and hedge funds to weather the financial shitstorm coming.

kaliwrath t1_jeevof3 wrote

They would still need to be rented out to create cash flow. Although there is constant apartments being built there is still low housing stock

jawocha t1_jeeyvb6 wrote

Who needs cash flow when you can get a bailout or leverage it or get another loan with your properties a collateral

h0w13 t1_jeeylrk wrote

Nope. Lookup what a "land bank" is.

kendrickislife t1_jeezsch wrote

They don’t need cash flow when they’re the ones being bailed out by the govt and all of us must deal with the consequences

financialanon t1_jefj0yq wrote

Do you actually know any houses where you live that are corporate owned?

I don't personally know of a single family property in my town or any other town that has a corporate owner.

angusshangus t1_jefpr7o wrote

i live in western essex county and pay attention to whats for sale. I'm not aware of any single family homes bought by some sort of corporation. Apartment buildings are another story and they seem to be springing up non stop around here

p4177y t1_jef51zz wrote

A potential theory: Maybe people with kids moving away to lower cost locations, and housing stock being bought up by DINKs? That would cause both a population drop as well as reduced housing stock.

Nothing solid to go on, more of a hunch...

PracticableSolution t1_jef6pme wrote

Anecdotally, I see a lot of people moving to jersey and then getting the cheapest studio apartments they can find in the city for Tuesday morning to Thursday afternoon flopping in hybrid work requirements. It’s really the worst of all possible housing worlds

BeamerTakesManhattan t1_jefdlb8 wrote

In many cases, yes. A family of four moves somewhere less dense and cheaper, and a couple from NYC buys their house. Net 2 loss.

Also, a lot of kids moving out of the area after living with their parents, or people who had been living in apartments giving up on finding homes and moving elsewhere.

fasda t1_jefa1zq wrote

It's being bought up by private equity like BlackRock. Its actually becoming a problem for them too because thei funds are investing in terrible deals but they kinda have to because they ran out of good deals a while ago.

BadAtUsernames9514 t1_jefl272 wrote

It's possible, but that doesn't seem to be showing up in school enrollment statistics, at least as of last school year. Public school enrollment decline was fairly minimal in New Jersey, and enrollment fell in every state, even Florida.

voonoo t1_jefk6bp wrote

They left and they’re renting their house out for 3 times a mortgage now

dirty_cuban t1_jeg18rq wrote

But we’re looking at net change. If a family of 4 moves out and another family of 4 moves in the net changed is zero.

adamv2 t1_jegybrz wrote

People are leaving shitty areas. You can find plenty of housing in Camden.

takemynerjy t1_jeeevw4 wrote

I just don't believe annual population estimates anymore after they were proven so inaccurate by the 2020 Census.

Every year from 2011-2019, the annual surveys said we were losing population, especially cities. The media and certain think tanks went rabid over it. Then the actual count showed we net gained people from 2010-2020.

moobycow t1_jeegtzf wrote

I was coming here to say this. After a decades of "NYC is dying, people are fleeing" we got one year of, "Oops, our bad, NYC gained a lot of population." Then, right back to "NYC is dying!"

MatCauthonsHat t1_jeesjyv wrote

Well, the news stories accurately reflected that a number of older, wealthy, white, conservative voters moved from densely populated blue states with high taxes to more conservative places with lower taxes and much less diversity. At least in their neighborhood.

karankshah t1_jeg0bnr wrote

“This just in; people that stand to gain a lot by making you think the city is dying say the city is dying. More at 10”

TheFotty t1_jefl82m wrote

If we are losing so many people, why is it just endless new construction of condos and townhomes everywhere I look?

angusshangus t1_jefq04a wrote

yeah. see every town in western Essex. all new apartment and condo complexes. just drive down bloomfield ave...

Aggravating_Rise_179 t1_jeg8syi wrote

hell, I was on the 73 bus back to Newark this morning and the amount of construction along that line is crazy. East Orange is going through a boom right now, and so is Newark. Essex County is single handedly doing its best to absorb much of the housing demand that NY is not willing to build.

Aggravating_Rise_179 t1_jeg8kqy wrote

well, I do want to point out that this country tends to have a anti-city narrative in the media...

thebruns t1_jefo86j wrote

> proven so inaccurate by the 2020 Census.

Actually, it turns out the 2020 Census was not very accurate.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/06/08/key-facts-about-the-quality-of-the-2020-census/

Which shouldnt be a surprise. Census Day was April 1, 2020, at the height of pandemic panic. On top of that, the Trump admin underfunded outreach.

>the 2020 census overcounted household populations in eight states while undercounting household populations in six others. The states with overcounts were Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island and Utah. Those with undercounts were Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.

>By contrast, in the 2010 census, the Census Bureau estimated that no states had overcounts or undercounts.

Per the same article, the Census simply made up 10.85 million people because they assuemd they were doing a bad job reaching people due to the pandemic

Edit: lol imagine downvoting facts directly from the Census

If-You-Cant-Hang t1_jegpr0r wrote

I lost any faith due to the chucklefuck that kept ringing my doorbell like the week after. My GF at the time and I just moved into an apartment and guy said his whole basic “I’m from the census pitch” and I said we just moved in and we were already counted at our parents houses individually before we moved in.

Then he started asking more questions and I said dude leave me the fuck alone I just told you we were counted already. Then he rang the doorbell again after I hung up and kept talking saying he needs the information or he’ll have to come back again if I won’t give it.

At that point I said I’ll call complex security or come beat your ass, your choice, if you don’t get the fuck out of here and leave us alone because you’re being fucking weird at this point. Dude left. Luckily because 99% of my job at work is CYA I had wrote the guys name down out of habit. Found a number to call and told them exactly what happened and how I had to threaten the dude to leave. I said how I didn’t know if he meant to cause any harm at that point with how pushy he was after my initial answer or if he was even legit. Turns out he was a legit worker too, and they said they’d address it.

Fuck that. Whole interaction was weird and I lost any remaining faith I had in anything run by the state. I had to get to the point of threatening someone when I initially gave a polite answer to his question.

Snoo_35864 t1_jeefyj7 wrote

I'm not sure what the point of this article is. You could comfortably fit two Essex counties and most of two Bergen counties inside the footprint of Ocean county and even with that, Bergen has the largest population, followed by Middlesex (whose footprint is not small), with tiny Essex at third. If all 11,000 people migrated to huge Ocean, its population still wouldn't be close to any of the top three. Heck, if 11,000 people moved just from Maplewood to Toms River, we would still have more than half the population remaining.

Yeah, nobody is happy to pay high taxes and high rents in northern New Jersey but let's not fool ourselves into thinking there is any kind of exodus out of northern NJ.

OscarThePitBull t1_jefuxv0 wrote

And likely that will stay that way for our lifetimes. NYC is the financial heart of the world that has a population almost the size of the next 3 cities combined. I just don’t see that changing any time soon.

dethskwirl t1_jeekooc wrote

Essex, Passaic, and Bergen.

What a shock. People moved out of the most dense counties in the country during and after a pandemic.

Linenoise77 t1_jef73dr wrote

I've got to think essex, passaic, and bergen are driven by a handful of big places in that town.

I'm in bergen and if i put my house up for sale it probably wouldn't last a week until an open house before it was sold.

If anything, based on the 3 houses being gutted and expanded on my street at this very moment, people are putting down more permanent roots. Seems everyone who had a starter house has said "fuck it, lets make this our forever home".

Which sucks, because that was my plan, and they gobbled up all the tradespeople.

uieLouAy t1_jeenjiw wrote

The yearly ACS population estimates aren’t accurate — especially for urban regions in the Northeast and Midwest — and the Census site literally says the numbers should not be used as a hard measure of total population.

As others noted, these estimates showed New Jersey losing population every year between 2010 and 2019, and then the 2020 Census proved those wrong since we actually grew in population so much that we almost gained a new congressional district.

Some helpful context here: https://twitter.com/urbanjerseyguy/status/1641483265960816642?s=46&t=omy7Z1bk_04sxcMT7dPLIg

rockmasterflex t1_jeexfx4 wrote

NJ State Pop: over 9 million

This article: OMG 11k people moved inside the state to probably bigger houses!

I don't always write news articles, but when I do its to talk about how .0001% of the population of NJ may have moved to a different zip code in the state.

ALSO migration is only mildly related to population, even at the county level. I see a lot of commenters not understanding this?

In 2010 even (data here: https://www.state.nj.us/health/chs/hnj2020/documents/demog.pdf) The birth rate in NJ was about 300 new residents per DAY.

PER DAY.

PER DAY.

@ 13 births per 1000 people.

You think Essex, Passaic and Bergen county cant lose 11k people/families from moving and not simply have that replenished AND EXCEEDED by their birth rate?

Absolute nothingburgers here. If you think people are LEAVING NJ in droves, feel free to buy up all those vacant, price-collapsing houses they're leaving behind! Oh wait!

lost_in_life_34 t1_jef1twz wrote

Most likely college age kids leaving to go to school elsewhere

sutisuc t1_jefnp1t wrote

Yup we are the largest exporter of college age kids to other states. Not a great look

rockmasterflex t1_jefoxkx wrote

Why would that be a bad look? It has little to do with our schools and everything to do with young adults wanting to experience life literally anywhere else than their parents chose to sow roots because rebellion.

sutisuc t1_jefp2ki wrote

That’s quite an assumption to make, what are you basing that on? Why aren’t other states doing it more than us?

rockmasterflex t1_jefrgq9 wrote

Other states are generating less college students period. Unless you break everything down and normalize it by population and density and demographics these numbers tell you nothing

sutisuc t1_jefrw2b wrote

Less total college students? Or per capita? Can you share some sources to back up your claims?

rockmasterflex t1_jefsr5p wrote

There’s not gonna be one source that can outline all the socioeconomic and geographic complexities that goes into “how people graduating from high school pick colleges” but here’s some (old) data around high school graduation rates and enrollment in a college anywhere across all the states http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/index.php?submeasure=63&year=2010&level=nation&mode=data&state=0

sutisuc t1_jeftnvs wrote

Looks like New York sends a similar amount of kids to college (when you adjust for their population compared to ours). How come so many New Yorkers stay in state compared to us? Less rebellious kids?

rockmasterflex t1_jeftzuk wrote

Young adults want to go to schools with night lives. NYC is right there!

NYC: many schools, “top” city in the US according to many, tons of nightlife

NJ: nobody wants to be in Newark. New Brunswick is okay…. And wait what big colleges do we have in cities outside Newark? Oh right all the ones in… NYC… which is not in NJ

sutisuc t1_jefukph wrote

New York is on the list but ranks lower than PA and DE. This also gets into the main reasons kids leave the state: cost. It’s more expensive to go to in state schools here than it is to go to a lot of private schools in other states. You really have to actually do some research before assuming.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/education/2022/08/28/nj-students-favorite-colleges-universities/65413836007/

rockmasterflex t1_jefuuc5 wrote

How do you figure? If you commute in state it can’t possibly be cheaper to move out of state to go to school. State school rate in NJ is pretty dang affordable until you add in housing

sutisuc t1_jefv1ay wrote

I figure by actually researching a topic before formulating an opinion on it. Try doing it and you’ll be able to do the same

sutisuc t1_jefuweu wrote

DE is famously an urban Mecca. Gtfo out of here

lost_in_life_34 t1_jefu94t wrote

NY has a huge state university system, NYC has a huge city university system, there is NYU and a bunch of other schools in NY

sutisuc t1_jefuspt wrote

Yup you got it. It’s also much cheaper to go to those schools in state than it is to go to the equivalent schools in state in NJ. The schools in NY are much better than the equivalents in NJ too. This guy is just going off of vibes to form his opinions lol

LarryLeadFootsHead t1_jegmnzw wrote

Correct answer and I don’t get why people arguing with you. You gotta be out of your mind or have the Stockholm syndrome of the RU screw that as a whole “state schools in NJ are cheap”.

You’re right in bringing up merits of SUNY system, there’s a lot of conventionally good schools there that don’t exactly break the bank as bad.

Idk I get state pride and all that but yeah there’s more out there.

sutisuc t1_jegnig9 wrote

Yeah it’s truly baffling but this guy is just making idiotic arguments based on his own feelings so I don’t put much weight in it anyway. And agreed I love NJ but there’s no sense in papering over our issues and pretending they’re not a thing. How else are we gonna improve them otherwise?

OscarThePitBull t1_jefv6m8 wrote

No man it’s a bad look. These kids leave and some don’t come back. Strikes me as total folly that we don’t do more to retain them in state. Highly educated college graduate young people are the most productive people in the country from an ROI stand point.

Linenoise77 t1_jef7nzg wrote

> You think Essex, Passaic and Bergen county cant lose 11k people/families from moving and not simply have that replenished AND EXCEEDED by their birth rate?

I think you have a couple of dense, impoverished towns in essex and passaic, where you may have seen some migration due to increased wages. In Bergen you really only have hackensack & englewood. Englewood i could see, hackensack is on an upswing. Maybe decreased migration to Ft.Lee\palisades park or first generation moving on from there? hard to say.

Bergen maybe you have older folks moving out, but pretty much anything in any of the bergen towns is quickly gobbled up. My house has still gone up in value post-pandemic and interest rate hikes when i look at recent comps.

CanWeTalkHere t1_jeegxmx wrote

How do they track in migration? Driver's license registrations? How does that square with the increasing amount of folks who don't even get driver's licenses?

Snoo_35864 t1_jeen0mc wrote

I think they use the ACS database. It stands for American Community Survey, which is conducted by the Census Bureau. They survey 3.5 million ppl every year via mail, phone and/or in-person interviews.

Not saying this is the reason, but as somebody who lived in one of of the counties with an outflow, I've got a lot better things to do with my time than answer survey questions. Mail in...either is in the trash or lost on my desk. Phone...if you don't show up as a contact, I don't answer. In-person...get off my porch!

CitizenTed t1_jeeytwa wrote

It's working class flight. I live in WA now and I see it as the area becomes stupendously unaffordable. Unless you make at least $80K/year, you pretty much have to leave. And that's just as a renter. If you want to buy a home the bidding starts at $850K and goes up from there. Only the wealthy need apply.

That's why you see the outflow from CA, NY, NJ into TX, FL, SC. It isn't salaried professionals leaving their 5bd 4ba McMansions because of the tax rates. It's the working class fleeing to survive.

So many folks want to move to my PacNW city it's almost sad. They post in forums: "I'm a barista with two cats looking to move in. Need a nice 2bd MiL ADU, can only pay $800 at most."

HA HA HA! So sad it's funny. TRIPLE that and you're at the entry level for rentals.

Off they go with their two cats to TX, FL, SC....

TheFortyDeuce t1_jefejaq wrote

And this is what I’m doing. I make $84k and it’s rough. I’m looking at South Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania. Fortunately I work remotely full time. I would go further but all my family is still here.

LarryLeadFootsHead t1_jefi0i2 wrote

Oh yeah PNW is fucked and erroneously gets a rep that somehow the upticks in homelessness is all drugs and vagrants when there's a fuckload of common as can be working people over time getting slapped up with prices being absurd with quite literally no where to go or sensible setup for living.

For NJ it already doesn't make a ton of sense to stay here if you're just not taking in a certain amount and honestly I would not be shocked if just things further evaporate and all that's left are archetypal situations of stacking in an apartment strength in numbers style complete with a commute that makes no sense whatsoever.

Not sure if we'll get a bombed out period and crime wave though but then again after a certain point what's really stopping someone in such dire desperate situations from crossing the line to felonious acts to survive, y'know?

BadAtUsernames9514 t1_jefjxgh wrote

There's no empirical evidence supporting this assertion. New Jersey's labor force and employment is the highest it's ever been, and continuing to grow, according to the latest BLS numbers.

−2

CitizenTed t1_jefnazj wrote

"Employment" isn't the indicator. Affordability is. If you are employed but can't afford shelter, you move.

It's not that NJ is among the highest out-move states. It's actually #1 according to the US Census Bureau.

This is tied directly to housing affordability, as described here by the Rutgers State Policy lab.

On the west coast, the problem is reaching crisis levels. In my small city, there are very few people under 30 who don't rent rooms and crowd into apartments. At this point, living on your own is considered a luxury only the upper-middle class and wealthy can afford. I make twice the median wage in my city and I can afford my own place only because I've been in my apartment so long the rent is affordable. I could theoretically qualify for another 1bd apartment (typically in the $2000 range) but it would be a strain on my finances and make my life more precarious. I'd probably move, but not back to NJ.

BadAtUsernames9514 t1_jefosdy wrote

If you're employed, can't afford housing and move out, you're no longer counted in the labor force of the state you left.

Do people get priced out of New Jersey? Yes. Is it a torrential flood that's leading to a hemorrhaging population? The 2020 census showed that was not the case, and I've seen little evidence indicating the estimates of the last few years are any more reliable.

vakr001 t1_jees39b wrote

People don't realize what they miss when it's gone. Go ahead and move to FL where taxes are low, but insurance is high, and healthcare is subpar

jdubs952 t1_jef27kf wrote

and no doctors in some counties in the fly over states. they really thought that one through lol

JeepDispenser t1_jeeghpk wrote

As someone who has experienced the roads and highways in North Jersey, there are already too many humans living up here. This is a good thing.

ohamza t1_jeeti6h wrote

I wish there was as good public transit within NJ as there is to get people back and forth between NYC. It would go a long way with getting cars off the roads.

AccountantOfFraud t1_jef9xv7 wrote

The sad part about your comment is that NJ has one of the best passenger rail systems in the country :(

ohamza t1_jefhh41 wrote

In terms of connectivity it really is, but other than that the lack of trains and the fact that a lot of destinations are located off of highways means it's difficult to live without a car, at least in Bergen/Passaic counties which I'm most familiar with.

rockmasterflex t1_jeexoh0 wrote

Migration talked about here is not even putting a dent in actual overall population, which is still increasing, because you know, babies are still getting made and 10k people leaving any area of a state with 9 million people in it is irrelevant to the pop.

RedSpartan3227 t1_jeeowtd wrote

New Jersey: only the strong survive.

DSJ13 t1_jeeryag wrote

You spelled rich wrong.

RedSpartan3227 t1_jees5mj wrote

I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this would be a response. You're not wrong.

lost_in_life_34 t1_jeegzuf wrote

absolutely shocked that bergen lost population. there is no place to build more homes and the locals are against most denser housing like they are building in paramus

coreynj2461 t1_jeex2ds wrote

They better not touch saddle river park and build apartments there. Way too much housing going up between GSP, Paramus park and Franklin lakes. 4, 17 and 208 are going to be parking lots

lost_in_life_34 t1_jef0igf wrote

The ones at Bergen town center are the right way to do them. Just like montvale

Build by retail to minimize car use. They should also build a straighter path to walk to the nj transit station in less than 30 minutes

XCypher73 t1_jef6tby wrote

I recently bid $430k on a house listed at $379k, and it sold for $460k. I wonder why people are leaving NJ...

BadAtUsernames9514 t1_jefjpek wrote

If people actually were "leaving in droves" house prices wouldn't be skyrocketing.

XCypher73 t1_jefp2ty wrote

I like that you put that in quotes as if I said it. Either way, they can leave in droves and the state would still be densely populated.

artichokedeathwish t1_jeff3x2 wrote

Idc I literally haven’t witnessed this or have heard of this happening in any meaningful way. I believe data, but after the 2020 census I have learned that these trends are far from accurate

sizillian t1_jefqare wrote

I wonder about the trends for second-home buyers. Cape May County has a ton of non-NJ resident homeowners from PA and NY who purchase second homes here. I have seen more and more of them in recent years.

BacktotheFutureTmw t1_jeg1hho wrote

Maybe if North Jersey wasn't so expensive, people could afford to live there.

letsgometros t1_jee70zr wrote

"The outmigration helped lead northern counties to the largest overall population losses in the state. Essex, Passaic and Bergen counties combined to lose nearly 11,000 residents, according to Bureau estimates. All three had population losses the prior year, according to estimates."

"Ocean County was one of only three counties to add more than 1,000 residents in 2012-22 (6,000), according to Bureau estimates. Gloucester and Burlington counties respectively grew by nearly 2,000 and 1,700 residents, according to estimates."

The numbers are so small it's insignificant, seems to me just normal movement of some people from northern counties to southern for retirement purposes, or to be closer to the shore, and some movement to counties that are more affordable/more space.

Economy_Mix_9364 t1_jeehfga wrote

I’m in Monmouth county and I’m thinking about reversal migration back to Bergen, where I grew up

sirusfox t1_jeewd59 wrote

So how come traffic isn't better? Answer me that one

masterofmayhem13 t1_jeezeks wrote

Ocean county isn't growing because north jersey residents are moving here. The article is a little misleading.

Zurevu t1_jef9zed wrote

You should crosspost this to r/BergenCounty.

gnrtnlstnspc t1_jefhwcp wrote

Was praying Mercer was on the list, but having monitored home prices in the Hamilton area for awhile, I knew it wasn't the case.

katwoman7643 t1_jefiufq wrote

You can't believe census data, when the census was done hubby and I were counted at our daughter's Florida address, but we really were in our motorhome in California. Fulltime RVer's use services for their address or a family member. Mostly Florida, Texas and South Dakota for tax reasons. They estimate that there are over a million people that are wandering nomads living in RVs. We gave all that up and are back in NJ where mostly sane people live.

rockmasterflex t1_jefpb08 wrote

Fulltime RVers gotta be like what, 1% of 1% of 1% of the 9 million people who live in NJ?

Significant_Limit_68 t1_jegowxd wrote

If taxes aren’t your thing, NJ is not for you… NY and NJ voted the worst states to retire in.

rxbandit256 t1_jee6i42 wrote

"In 2022, states such as Florida, Texas and the Carolinas took on the most domestic migrants, Bureau records show. California, New York, Illinois and New Jersey lost the most."

Says a lot...

−5

Mr_Matt_K t1_jeec3vn wrote

What, that the average IQs of all states noted increased with their departures?

GarmonboziaBlues t1_jeeddjx wrote

Apparently I'm the only person who moved from FL to north NJ last year. Every realtor I spoke to up here was totally shocked. One even went so far as to comment "Well at least it's all the shitty ones who are moving away to FL." It was in that moment I truly realized I was moving to the right state.

anthonymm511 t1_jeedudd wrote

I moved from FL to north/central Jersey last year as well. Really really glad I did.

GarmonboziaBlues t1_jeeeb32 wrote

Same! NJ is an absolute paradise compared to FL. Almost everyone I've met in New Jersey is incredibly nice, while the average Floridian is an angry miserable douchebag.

Tellenue t1_jeeu958 wrote

I moved from NJ to FL in 2011. I took a promotion out of the country to get the fuck out of there. Florida is truly the Swampass State. The only way I'll go back is as a corpse.

No-Example1376 t1_jeegwc5 wrote

Keep in mind it actually works the other way, the shitty ones move to Florida, Texas, etc.

We're happy to have you here with us!

I moved my parents back to NJ just before Covid. They would not have made it out alive otherwise.

vaud t1_jefkrop wrote

Yeah I moved back at the end of '21. Between covid-induced furloughs and landlords getting super greedy with rent hikes I was done. For what they were asking I'd much rather be back here.

GarmonboziaBlues t1_jefp82c wrote

No kidding. Our rent in FL increased by 60% between 2020-2022, which made it comparable to NJ rents. Unfortunately FL wages never bothered to keep up. My NJ salary is 3x my FL salary for the same work.

lost_in_life_34 t1_jeegj26 wrote

florida was nice until a few years ago when they allowed scam roofers to sue insurance companies into BK and now home insurance is like $10,000 and you need a new roof every few years and there is only the state insurer. the republicans there literally turned the insurance industry into socialism there

​

I'd move to texas if I had the chance or the western carolinas too

yaychristy t1_jeel4i6 wrote

It’s really not that bad. Family just purchased a new build in FL, $5k for homeowners and flood ins. Which sounds high compared to NJ rates but their $2k a year property taxes certainly make up for it. Other family has an older home on the other coast and pays about the same amount, and even less in property tax.

lost_in_life_34 t1_jeelg8p wrote

must be by location, i've heard some horror stories but haven't checked every single town

​

when i was in the army I visited a few states and met a bunch of people from around the country and a lot of places outside the northeast are pretty good to live in. many of the places I visit now have a bunch of good ethnic food too

yaychristy t1_jeelwk6 wrote

The days of dirt cheap living in Florida are certainly gone, but same can be said about most of the country.

jawnbaejaeger t1_jef0497 wrote

Yes, please move to fucking Florida, where apparently the biggest threat to our lives is nude Renaissance statues and drag queens, and not our children being shot to death in their schools.

cC2Panda t1_jef923d wrote

I want to see the age demographic. A family member of mine moved but it's because they retired and moved to be closer to family that lives out of state. Of course a ton of old people are taking their retirement to a cheaper state and specifically to ones that are warm and have little to no tax on retirements.