Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sl8rfan2 t1_iyyxpb7 wrote

that's going to be really annoying. You know those people who like to put their phones on speaker and yell into it for a half hour...yeah, now imagine that on the plane sitting next to you.

FUCK THAT.

limabeantwothree t1_iyz5ghs wrote

Psh, maybe for you this is an issue. For me, I will make it THEIR issue. Moaning sounds, coughs, trying to butt into the conversation, etc. I've been using these tactics to get people to stfu and end the call for years, only the most unruly of Phoenix residents were impervious to them!

westplains1865 t1_iyzof3c wrote

I actually love that idea, especially butting in on the conversation! Make it extremely awkward and pretend like you are part of a 3 way conversation until they get the hint and take it off speaker.

FapMeNot_Alt t1_iz0vuhd wrote

Most people turn a bit red and get the hint, but some will get violently angry that you dared invade their privacy by hearing their loud ass conversation right next to you.

International_Bat_87 t1_iz0joal wrote

I always turn my head slightly and look shocked or gasp out loudly and they always shut it off immediately lol

Range-Shoddy t1_iz2dliy wrote

I get it but I don’t want to listen to that either.

SweetBiscuit t1_iyz21aw wrote

You could already do that for a long time with WiFi calling

Deyln t1_iyza90e wrote

The reason why there were banned was because planes had a frequency vulnerability. So instead of fixing it.... They banned it and left the vulnerability open for hacking.

(And another couple big what the fucks on regards to security )

Bit-Random t1_iyzc612 wrote

That vulnerability was gone for several years now. “Put your phone in flight mode” just remained as a weird relic.

[deleted] t1_iyzmsdn wrote

[removed]

orus t1_iyzr794 wrote

No one really checks if someone’s phone is in airplane mode. If it were that critical a vulnerability, they would be more serious about it or there would have been hacks already.

cranial_prolapse420 t1_iyzxcnm wrote

...or planes juat falling out of the aky, because someone forgot.

CPargermer t1_iyzy7n4 wrote

This is the thing for me. People that don't speak the language, people that forget, people that don't know how, people that resist authority... There are so many chances for them to not put their phone into airplane mode, yet you never hear of any problems.

Kriztauf t1_iz00p0u wrote

I've got a mental image of a plane starting to fall out of sky and the pilots screaming "SOMEONE FORGOT TO TURN ON AIRPLANE MODE"

BigDisk t1_iz0a8eu wrote

It would also be more effective to just come out and say something to the lines of "Please put your phones in airplane mode, otherwise the constant searching for a signal is gonna kill your battery."

Anneisabitch t1_iz1jt8u wrote

It does save your battery so I use it. But functionally? Pfft. The opening episode of the West Wing in like 1999 joked about how stupid that rule was.

Even-Fix8584 t1_iyzmu9e wrote

I thought they are waiting for the FAA to build a plan and test the n any vulnerabilities exist. I am sure it will happen next 5th of Nevember.

−1

idontagreewitu t1_iz36ygq wrote

Waiting for the US gov't to get something done is an endless effort.

addicuss t1_iyzpvup wrote

That definitely never existed

peacey8 t1_iz0wy5j wrote

I've never put my phone on airplane mode. I always text/browse even as we're a few feet off the ground before I lose signal.

PastaLulz t1_iyzo00a wrote

Im not sure about the rest of you but I don’t get cell phone service 38,000ft up. So I don’t think this will be a big concern

Obi_Uno t1_iz143aw wrote

My understanding is this would allow 5G connectivity via picocells installed in the airplane itself.

I’m not clear on the advantage vs WiFi, since the backhaul would still be via satellite (which is the rate limiter).

GoArray t1_iyztdpu wrote

Maybe if we all still had 2g phones. With 5g tower range is only like a mile or 2. 4g maybe 4 miles (6km).

Obversa t1_iyz0pr7 wrote

Imagine this, but their screaming child is also kicking the back of your seat for most of the entire 8-hour cross-Atlantic flight on your way from the United States to Germany.

iCCup_Spec t1_iyz3c4f wrote

I've never flied first class in my life but I'd imagine the kids sleep well up there.

Halgy t1_iyzv3qj wrote

Rich kids and their parents are famously not entitled or annoying

lensupthere t1_iyzchvf wrote

Kids are kids, it doesn't matter which section they sit in.

I fly first class all the time for work - I also raised two kids. I don't mind kids at all, but some people can be really annoying with their reactions to them. These people are not really first class people.

−5

chantillylace9 t1_iyzlyra wrote

OK, is it just me that I have noticed that nowadays the iPhone is super difficult to hear unless you have it on speaker?

If I just have it up towards my ear like a normal person would, I cannot hear anything!! This started maybe about five years ago, so speaker is the only thing that I can actually hear.

Relevant_Quantity_49 t1_iyzzeq3 wrote

It might be worth talking to your doctor or just seeing an audiologist. The experience you're describing was an early indicator that my grandmother was losing her hearing.

RobtheNavigator t1_iz0a5il wrote

I'm a 26 year old dude with an iPhone who has the same problem. No other indicators that the issue is me and not my phone, and I'm not someone who listens to loud music frequently or goes to concerts.

Relevant_Quantity_49 t1_iz0fmxe wrote

And I use an iPhone and don't have that problem. The only iPhone user I know who does has documented hearing loss. Personal experiences aren't exactly scientific studies or conclusive in any way. It's a possibility. It's not a certainty. Only OP can decide what to do with it.

RobtheNavigator t1_iz0ghis wrote

Never said it was a certainty, just adding my experience to the pile.

International_Bat_87 t1_iz0k0bb wrote

Possibly I remember getting my iPhone X and after three month the sound was absolutely atrocious because I’ve never called only texted since then. I bought an Apple Watch because of it then I never had a problem after I think I was just given a faulty phone. Newest MacBook I have from this year sound = flawless

lensupthere t1_iyzcr8z wrote

This is going to bring back the phone booth (on the plane).

Otherwise people will be hogging the lavatory.

estherstein t1_iz08xmt wrote

Ugh someone on one of my Thanksgiving flights literally did this with a WhatsApp call right behind me the whole time. I asked him to shut up multiple times but he didn't and it's not like I could have taken him in a fight...

gonzo5622 t1_iz10i0k wrote

Agree. Cell phone coverage doesn’t reach that high up so either they’ll need a plan or it will be super super choppy.

KindAwareness3073 t1_iyyy32x wrote

No. No. No. I do not want to listen to one side of your morononic conversation for the next three hours.

berberine t1_iyz3sj5 wrote

Don't worry, they'll have that conversation on speaker phone so you can enjoy the entire thing. ;)

indoninja t1_iyzqfc5 wrote

That is when you have to take out your phone and start talking about fingering tight buttholes.

[deleted] t1_iz1j9h8 wrote

[deleted]

−1

KindAwareness3073 t1_iz1ylqi wrote

Do you go out in public? Why do you think civilized people don't have protracted phone conversations in bar, restaurants, museums? Why do people on buses and subways yammering on their phones get confronted? If you think hard about it I bet you'll see there's a fundamental difference.

paulsmt t1_iyyvuto wrote

What a horrible idea. Unless it's an emergency, nobody should be blabbing on the phone inside a tin can.

vhutever t1_iyywoj7 wrote

The used to have actual phones on planes back in the day remember those seat back phones with the credit card slot!

paulsmt t1_iyyx4di wrote

With a price tag that meant nobody used them.

TacoMedic t1_iyz3ym3 wrote

Yeah, only time I’ve ever heard of them actually being used was the 9/11 passengers saying goodbye to their family.

Salty-Queen87 t1_iyyypxd wrote

I did, once, and got into a lot of trouble for doing it because of the cost 😂

vellyr t1_iyyynuo wrote

Nobody talks on their phones anyway, this is 2022

paulsmt t1_iyyyx6n wrote

The article talks about calls. not text. We already text today on planes.

Imagine all these business zoom calls around you.

vellyr t1_iyyzx6d wrote

They can already use VoIP video call services.

paulsmt t1_iyz6jiw wrote

in the EU? It doesn't work in the US.

vellyr t1_iyz70ur wrote

I'll admit I've never tried to do a conference call on a flight. Do they specifically block those services? Because you should be able to do a Teams call or something on any device with an internet connection.

paulsmt t1_iyz74hj wrote

In the US they block streaming and VoIP in all airplane Internet services.

Wes_WM t1_iyzzdjo wrote

I have joined teams calls, multiple times. I make it a point to only listen and not speak to be respectful to those around me, but it does work

dabestgoat t1_iyyw6pq wrote

Mental Image of the future: 50-100 people all cross talking on their devices making the cabin crew distributing those 2 cookies and one gulp of tomato juice even more painful when all you wanna do is take a raging piss and they are still 15 seats up blocking the only washroom.

Honest_Its_Bill_Nye t1_iyz0im6 wrote

I just flew home from Ireland Saturday. The difference in service on the "international" (Dublin to Boston) leg vs. the "domestic" (Boston to San Francisco) on the same airline was stark. The first 7 hour leg served lunch and dinner, plus free champagne, wine, and beer. The second 7 hour flight served half a can of diet coke and a cookie.

CriticalMembership31 t1_iyzsl4p wrote

Idk if it has to do with domestic vs international, but after living overseas for a year and traveling from Bahrain to Germany and Ireland I have a whole new hatred for American domestic travel and American based air lines. I remember buying my ticket to Germany and it being around 500 bucks….then trying to buy a plane ticket from DC to Texas for 600-700 bucks. The prices alone threw me way off.

9fingfing t1_iz0m7xr wrote

I had similar experiences on international flight leaving US vs going to US.

bronet t1_iyzhpht wrote

But it's not exactly a huge problem on trains...?

alexb3678 t1_iyyylyd wrote

Using the in air Wi-Fi? Usually the thing restricting calls is the whole 30,000ft and 600mph… well except for that one time.

Obi_Uno t1_iz14ss9 wrote

This allows airlines to install 5G picocells in the aircraft. Previously this was not allowed.

EmperorArthur t1_iz2yapr wrote

Huh. Yeah, I don't see a problem with that. A picocell has about the same power as a WiFi Hotspot. Even better, they undergo significantly more testing and regulatory evaluation.

Any avionics which are affected by either of those are absolutely defective.

Random fun fact, the good Pilot headsets have bluetooth built in. Netflix downloads was a game changer for many pilots.

Fenderfreak145 t1_iz0r45h wrote

Which one time?

BloopityBlue t1_iz1v7bd wrote

I assume they're talking about 9/11 when people were calling their loved ones from the planes that were about to crash.

Fenderfreak145 t1_iz1vat2 wrote

From the seat back pay phones

alexb3678 t1_iz2n4ul wrote

Actually, most of the calls were from cell phones according to the 9/11 Commission Report

Wild-Independence-20 t1_iyz1zxc wrote

Not a good idea. Airplane flights should be quiet.

moon_then_mars t1_iyztyqt wrote

All people should be quiet at all times even when alone.

40ozkiller t1_iz1jhiq wrote

I seem to recall plenty of people talking on the flights I have been on and it not being a life ending issue.

MasterpieceLive9604 t1_iyyvv5g wrote

BuT tHe pLaNE wILL cRaSh

InternetPeon t1_iyyxyxf wrote

Oh my god and baby Jesus. The last quiet space on earth is being violated.

MasterpieceLive9604 t1_iyyy1ri wrote

Oh make no mistake this is going to make flying even worse🤣

InternetPeon t1_iyyy8u5 wrote

Its so important that the lady in the middle seat have the opportunity to bitch at customer service as loudly as possible for 3 solid hours.

MasterpieceLive9604 t1_iyyyb50 wrote

But Karen needs to speak to management now!

InternetPeon t1_iyyygde wrote

If Karen isn’t satisfied this plane is not gettiing off the runway.

Omegalazarus t1_iyz3ekh wrote

Asimov was right. We'll only have the bathrooms left.

InternetPeon t1_iz0r0b5 wrote

Nah. The AI poop patrol will be watching you to improve bathroom customer service.

jeblis t1_iz1301a wrote

When has flying been quiet?

40ozkiller t1_iz1k8a1 wrote

Never, this is all just fake outrage for something that hasn’t even happened yet.

Id rather have someone making a call than a baby crying. Noise cancelling headphones also exist if you cant survive a few hours of background noise.

Capable_Nature_644 t1_iyz2p3p wrote

I know people who yap like crazy on a phone and have loud voices. God that's going to be frustrating to enjoy a quiet flight. They need to set rules and regulations on usage to keep some control over it.

PastaLulz t1_iyzo1g4 wrote

Who gets cell phone service 38,000ft up to make a phone call though?

Obi_Uno t1_iz14zdo wrote

That’s what the entire proposal is about: it allows airlines to install 5G picocells in the aircraft.

Previously, this spectrum was banned in flight, so this was not a possibility.

sololander t1_iz5gu73 wrote

I wonder if the network provider still makes the final call? Because right now almost all UAE, Saudi and Qatar based airlines offer cell service but it’s your provider who charges your extra inflight roaming. So even if it’s 5g but if I get charged a bomb compared to paying 5 euros for data and network I hardly see a difference..

Zhelthan t1_iyz5aen wrote

Oh god no please people are already annoying without the ability to make phone call

1320Fastback t1_iyyw9y0 wrote

Hey you shut up for a minute and put your tray table up for landing!

canuckcowgirl t1_iyyxn4h wrote

Ugh. People will have no choice but to eavesdrop whether they want to or not.

40ozkiller t1_iz1jp0u wrote

Which is currently the same as having two people talking to each other on any plane in the sky this afternoon.

SuperSpy- t1_iz03edl wrote

I hope they don't actually get rid of the airplane mode switch on smartphones. It's such a convenient way to shut off the radios when they are misbehaving and you need to, for instance, force the phone to re-connect to the cellular network when it's misbehaving.

EmperorArthur t1_iz2ydsx wrote

It's also a convenient way to disconnect from the cellular network, and force the use of WiFi.

SuperSpy- t1_iz36yex wrote

Yeah, especially on iOS, since in the last few years they changed it so that 'turning off cellular' just disables the use of the data connection instead of actually disconnecting from the tower and shutting off the radio.

Omegalazarus t1_iyz3f34 wrote

Asimov was right. We'll only have the bathrooms left.

networksmuggler t1_iyz1avb wrote

Lol I actually got a wifi call some how while traveling. I had subscribed to the flights wifi service for the flight but surprised the shit out of me when my phone rang. I kept it short because I felt super awkward about it.

_Levitated_Shield_ t1_iyz8jy8 wrote

Yeah, that'll surely reduce annoyances, especially if you're aboard a long flight. Brilliant idea...

40ozkiller t1_iz1je6c wrote

Nobody is currently allowed to talk on planes?

Ive had to listen to plenty of chatty cathys shoot shit with the people next to them on planes.

fkmeamaraight t1_iyzava3 wrote

This is going to be hell will all these cum buckets who have phones on speaker mode for phone calls, music and videos. It's already insanely annoying on the metros and trams. Btw, when did it become acceptable to be so fucking selfish ?

---------_----_---_ t1_iyzc6fq wrote

This is a horrible mistake.

Being stuck for hours next to someone yapping into a phone is a form of torture.

40ozkiller t1_iz1kcth wrote

Even worse would be someone trying to talk to me!

Seriously, it sounds like none of you complainers have been on a plane.

personalhale t1_iz03pbk wrote

What flights have y'all been on where this has not already been a thing? I haven't used airplane mode in years and usually use inflight Wifi. I've seen many many people making calls in the air. Do y'all not travel with headphones or earplugs?

toodog t1_iyzokae wrote

I’m Spending a six hour flight in the toilet also the seat is bigger

Pinuzzo t1_iz0cwuf wrote

These comments are weird. Your phones don't get signal at cruising altitude anyway, only at takeoff and landing when you are close enough to the towers.

EmperorArthur t1_iz2ymj5 wrote

Another person mentioned a 5G picocell. They're things you can buy when you have poor cell service, but good internet.

Mind you, most new phones already have WiFi calling, so nothing really is changing for many people.

sololander t1_iz5hdme wrote

Phones can get signal if your provider has options or tie ups with the in flight network. Any flight of emirates, Etihad or saudia if you have and Middle Easters sim or Asian one it shows 4g network on normal phone. Coz well it’s always been a thing. Charges are outrageous for roaming though.

APigNamedLucy t1_iz0d6un wrote

How does that work? I don't get signal on planes even when I don't have my phone in airplane mode. In my limited understanding, you're generally too high above the clouds to get the signals that are reflecting off clouds and from radio towers.

MaliciousWolf t1_iz0qbbg wrote

A lot of phones can make calls over VOIP, iPhones in particular. This is done via in-cabin wifi, which is available in air thanks to satellite receivers/transmitters installed on the plane. People have making calls for years now thanks to this service while in-flight, even though some airlines prohibit this.

APigNamedLucy t1_iz1c8bt wrote

Okay, I knew there was an option to make wifi calls, but I'd never tried it on a plane. Is it usually automatic, or do you have to do something to activate it? I thought it was just the regular, make a call stuff that you do anywhere.

MaliciousWolf t1_iz1e5xi wrote

iPhone is usually automatic when connected to wifi, however I believe you need to utilize the call option via the FaceTime app, not the phone app to initiate a VOIP call when out of service but connected to wifi and basically bypass the need of communicating with cell towers to relay the call as at that point it uses your contact and your apple IDs to make the call over VOIP. For android, there are third party apps you can install that allow you to make VOIP call, anything such as Skype to even Microsoft Teams would work. Of course these require the appropriate accounts and your contact to have an account and utilize these same apps as well.

There are devices that could be installed on the plane that emit the appropriate cell tower frequencies and allow phones to connect to them and then broadcast their data back over standard IP as well, though I haven’t encountered this on a plane yet but I know such options are already in use by some consumers and businesses and could see this be implemented on a plane to make both calls and data hassle free for customers in the future.

thegreatRMH t1_iz0klk4 wrote

Will airlines actually allow you to carry on a conversation? All the US airlines have high speed internet on domestic flights now but still ban calling apps because it's disturbing to other passengers.

ikarikh t1_iz0osaa wrote

It'll be just like bus' then. It's absolutely annoying when you're on the bus and people are blasting music through their speaker phones and having loud ass phone conversations.

People have NO consideration for others and will look at YOU as being the asshole if you even POLITELY ask them to be quiet.

Is it really that difficult to sit still and be quiet during your trip? Or if you wanna listen to music or watch a video, to use friggin headphones (and not have the volume so loud it's still blaring out of the headphones)?

I mean obviously of course it is, because these fuckers do it every day with zero fucks given at who they're annoying :P

Venkman_P t1_iz1eh2j wrote

Tell me you never read the articles, reddit, without telling me.

BloopityBlue t1_iz1v2cn wrote

i barely have service if I go behind the wrong tree, I can't even begin to imagine trying to keep a call going that high up.

Shumina-Ghost t1_iyz2o3o wrote

Man, I'll stay off my phone during the flight. How about this tho, let me KEEP MY MOTHER FUCKING SHOES AND BELT ON AT THE FUCKING AIRPORT.

−1

GreenGod42069 t1_iyzpvey wrote

Lol. So those idiots who don't even bother to turn phones into airplane mode are being proven right??? Man, I used to hate those asshats who ignored repeated requests to turn phones into airplane mode. Oh well. How the turntables, I guess.

−1

WirelessBCupSupport t1_iyzw4ue wrote

How about screening people that are on medication AND drinks prior to boarding....

−1

LLCoolDave82 t1_iyz4lcl wrote

And here I thought the social contract still existed in Europe. Bad Europe, bad!

−4

OccamsSchickQuattro t1_iyyzs4g wrote

I almost never put my phone on airplane mode simply because it’s never been properly explained to me as to why it needs to exist. In a normal 6 hour flight I’ll have good enough reception to receive a text maybe two times. Just turning off airplane mode isn’t going to allow anyone to do anything they can’t already do on a plane.

I still need to use the in air Wi-Fi if I want to send a text message out or if I want to watch in air entertainment.

The point in which your device stops working even when you don’t use airplane mode is super quick. Just last week I was watching the hockey game during takeoff and it was within 1 minute of us taking off that my phone could no longer support the game.

I don’t think this really changes anything either way.

−8

RenegadeSoundWAV t1_iyz1ns8 wrote

Not an electrical engineer nor an expert on this matter, but there used to be a time where cell phone bands weren't well regulated and the EM waves would interfere with communication devices. I remember this being a much bigger problem when I was in high school, where even cell phones on silent would interfere with the wireless microphones for our stage productions.

But I do know the reason they ask for all devices to be put on airplane mode or turned off - it is because it's easier to issue a blanket statement than require specific devices to be turned off.

I'm assuming the EU evaluated that the risk is nearly negligible - probably because the odds of anyone using such outdated tech is practically null.

[deleted] t1_iyzsibi wrote

From the pilot side of it, we can tell when someone’s phone isn’t in airplane mode. It’s not every time but it happens frequently that when we get close to the ground we can hear our nav radios get scratchy.

OccamsSchickQuattro t1_iz00vuz wrote

See and if anyone had ever just said that I’d use it every time.

[deleted] t1_iz01hss wrote

As far as I know it’s never been an issue operationally but it’s more annoying than anything haha

OccamsSchickQuattro t1_iz01xwp wrote

Hey man if it annoys the people flying the big metal tubes that’s enough reason for me. I fly a lot and I’ve noticed they’ve even stopped calling it out so I figured it was just an antiquated idea.

IdleRocket t1_iz0iiav wrote

I'm calling bullshit that you have flown a single flight where all 150+ passengers have turned airplane mode on. I'm guessing your scratchy radios are something else.

008Zulu t1_iyz5gvs wrote

Because there too many mobile phones, all built to very different standards, that it would be impossible to test them all against every type and configuration of electronics suite in every model of plane. In all likelihood they are safe, but no one wants to take the risk. So we have airplane mode.

The article specifies that 5G is the band approved in the planes, likely because European electronics standards (in planes) are higher than American, so knowing the frequencies it would be easier to have that one band instead of the 2G/3G/4G range.

2021newusername t1_iyyzxbm wrote

my iphone 12 screen wouldn’t respond to touching at all. couldn’t turn it off or put on airplane mode.
6 hours flight, then a 15 hour flight, neither plane crashed lol.

−14