Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

floppydisk1995 t1_jdjvyhz wrote

I don't know why they don't ban cars there during peak cherry blossom season. So stupid.

alizadk t1_jdjwflc wrote

They do on the weekends.

sakizashi t1_jds1ks3 wrote

This is going on right now. Its Sunday. And open to cars. Cars parked on the grass in East Potomac Park. Meanwhile empty spots on the other wide of the Haines Pt. Loop.

sazzer82 t1_jdkaiz0 wrote

That’s how I get to work. Tourists should take the Metro though

messmaker523 t1_jdkjfzp wrote

Cars aren't the problem. The drivers are😂😂

−41

orgasmicstrawberry t1_jdkuu22 wrote

Cars don’t drive themselves. Banning cars means banning drivers driving their cars there. Don’t get semantic

KazahanaPikachu t1_jdm3lgo wrote

>Cars don’t drive themselves

Elon Musk meme with laser eyes “not with that attitude”

tshontikidis t1_jdkyb4t wrote

Cars are a absolutely the problem. You don’t need a 12 foot 5000lb pound vehicle to move people in this use case. This is a scenic area, you should be walking or biking. There are plenty of metro stops to park at outside the city and ride in for the walk or bike, you can bring a bike on metro at any time or use bike share.

Oneightyoner t1_jdk20cz wrote

There are so many places packed with cherry blossoms all around dc. There's a cemetery in NE that has an entire hill of them and it's nice to go sit there and read...maybe a little macabre for some. But yea. The tourist trap of cherry blossoms always bewilders me. Especially when they leave the garbage piles and make it crazy gross down there.

9throwaway2 t1_jdk77ca wrote

Here4thebeer3232 t1_jdkij5b wrote

Riding a bike down that road is a magical experience

mistersmiley318 t1_jdktslw wrote

Riding a bike to actually get to that road however was not fun. The entrance to East Potomac Park was absolutely packed with cars and you had to ride in between the gridlocked cars since there was no space on the road or the sidewalk.

nosuchaddress t1_jdme2n8 wrote

I did that same ride on Thursday morning. It was great. Hardly anyone was there, but I was there early.

Maximum-Share-2835 t1_jdmr5zd wrote

I mean I found getting there on the metro and meeting people who already had a spot for our blankets and stuff was really easy and super lovely

bridges-build-burn t1_jdn9lx6 wrote

The cherry tree allées off Brookside drive in Kenwood, just over the DC boundary into Maryland, are also insanely beautiful. The cops limit sightseer cars at peak times since it is a residential neighborhood, but it’s easy to park in the River Roads Whole Foods and walk over

dataminimizer t1_jdkj2m3 wrote

You are truly an idiot or a masochist if you’re driving to see the Cherry blossoms.

CaptainPeachfuzz t1_jdmp4t0 wrote

March of 2020, pandemic full rage.

I drove down and parked on the mall. Not like a side street. On 14th. Right where the food trucks usually sit.

There were some people around but not a lot. It was amazing. And will never happen again.

HauntingBet2923 t1_jdtfq6x wrote

I drove in from central PA today. Woke up at 4 arrived at 6. Was able to park at the mall. I can’t imagine the thought process of thinking you’ll beat the crowds any later than 6:30am, hard to imagine going in the middle of the day.

Embarrassed_Bid_4970 t1_jdnc2zl wrote

Or, like me, your driving an elderly relative who can't walk anymore to see them. When you assume you make an ass out of you and me.

−1

dataminimizer t1_jdpjemx wrote

Don’t lie. Even if you’re not, don’t pretend like my comment is intended for you. As if all the morons in this traffic jam are “driving an elderly relative”. Either you’re lying or you know my comment isn’t intended for you.

newreddituser666 t1_jdm344m wrote

At least youre comfortable in the car. Walking sucks and makes it more time consuming.

−36

dbag127 t1_jdm6r21 wrote

Yes because the worst part of seeing the cherry blossoms is how long you spend looking at them.

temporarytuna t1_jdm99xl wrote

If ‘time consuming’ is how you think of going to see the cherry blossoms then maybe you’re better off staying home. Think of the gas you’ll save!

newreddituser666 t1_jdmd9vg wrote

It’s easier to drive to Annapolis to see them any way, there are no crowds, congestion and plenty of parking spaces, unlike downtown DC.

−2

dataminimizer t1_jdm9lg8 wrote

I hope you realize how pathetic your comment sounds haha. Also, walking is still faster than sitting in traffic and not moving.

newreddituser666 t1_jdmb2u5 wrote

I’d rather sit in traffic in the comfort of my vehicle than walk around and deal with crowds. To each their own.

−14

asdfasdfasdfas11111 t1_jdmkh6w wrote

"I just want to drive through your city and make traffic and not spend any money by visiting local restaurants or hotels or do literally anything which requires me to walk or use transit."

newreddituser666 t1_jdnshcl wrote

I live in the District. Lol. Not every DC resident is a new urbanist yuppie who wants to live out their Manhattan fantasies by riding the filthy metro trains and embracing the car-free lifestyle.

−5

Maximum-Share-2835 t1_jdmrfey wrote

I'm not comfortable driving in an angry mob of traffic, especially when the other option is walking fifteen minutes after sitting calmly on the train, which then had me beat my friends who drove there by about forty minutes while they had to find parking

newreddituser666 t1_jdnt4y8 wrote

The traffic doesn’t look very angry in this video. These folks are calmly driving through and sitting briefly. They’re not wasting time parking, then having to walk to see the trees, then walk back to the car. They’re enjoying the trees from their cars, then heading for the next destination.

Maximum-Share-2835 t1_jdntotk wrote

Assuming this was Thursday, then to me sitting right adjacent, the traffic was angry, and most of it was looking for parking. just seeing trees from a car window seems both like a waste of time and boring to me, but sure, if it's just for a pretty road to drive to somewhere else, then it's almost as convenient as taking the metro, and maybe almost as good of an event as actually seeing the trees and spending time with the environment.

Whatever you wanna believe I guess dude.

newreddituser666 t1_jdnualg wrote

I drove through the Watkins Park and Annapolis christmas lights during the holidays every year and enjoy it from the car. This is very similar to that. Taking Metro is a hassle, the trains are filthy and just not a good experience. Uber is Ok, but why take an Uber when you can drive to see this shit?

−1

Maximum-Share-2835 t1_jdnui51 wrote

Like I said, believe what you will about the drive through, we can disagree. Idk what metro you're riding but the one in the dmv is nothing near a hassle, not even close to what I would call filthy for a public space, and I find to be a lovely experience every time.

newreddituser666 t1_jdnuu9j wrote

Agreed, to each their own. Metro in general is dirty, has little fake thug teenagers, old newspapers all over place, nasty people coughing all over the place, then you have to wait for the trains which are constantly running late. No thanks. 🤷🏽‍♂️

−3

Maximum-Share-2835 t1_jdnv3ct wrote

Again, a vastly different experience to just about every single train ride I've ever taken. If it's ever late there's another one or it's like a few minutes, which in DC traffic especially around this thing you'll have more than that anyway.

jjl10c t1_jdk5xke wrote

Driving in DC is absolutely crazy to me.

Monkeylint t1_jdmbt22 wrote

I think it's been at least 15 years since I've driven into the city.

Jrpond t1_jdm6o1o wrote

It’s not that bad most of the time, really.

Southern-Score2223 t1_jdnf3xf wrote

Yesterday we went to a museum. On the way home we made a pit stop at McDonald's off NY ave / 50 side of town. Some drugged up idiot hit my car THREE times (not that hard of hits...but still) trying to park, while laying on her horn with every move. Then she hit two more parked cars. She dumped her passenger, or he bailed on his own accord and she took off. The Cadillac SUV she hit tried to follow her pulling some bizzare I turns and wrong way turns.

👀💀

Embarrassed_Bid_4970 t1_jdnd1b4 wrote

I grew up in DC in a part of town with no metro service and crappy bus service. Driving became de rigueur. Once you learn to navigate the backstreets and avoid the choke points DC is not that bad of a driving city.

newreddituser666 t1_jdmbe7g wrote

How so? DC is not Manhattan. I couldn’t imagine not having a car here.

−6

Maximum-Share-2835 t1_jdmrvm2 wrote

How could you not imagine it? I haven't had a car in a year and I'm not even in the densely populated district but nova. It's super easy

sagarnola89 t1_jdtnlw5 wrote

I've never had a car in DC. I have a great life. And never once had to worry about traffic or drinking and driving. And I lost 15 lbs my 1st year here cause I gave up my car and started walking more. It's fantastic.

The_4th_Little_Pig t1_jdkc86j wrote

If you’re trying to go anywhere north east of Virginia you kinda have to.

−10

dataminimizer t1_jdkiolu wrote

“Driving in DC”

The_4th_Little_Pig t1_jdkk2eh wrote

Yeah you drive in DC to go through DC. I drive more in DC not living there than I ever did when I did.

−6

oxtailplanning t1_jdlww96 wrote

This is why I'm on board with DC doing whatever it can to limit driving and encourage all other modes of transportation. The roads are used by outsiders that cause pollution (noise, light, fumes, etc), death, and wasted space for the people that actually live here.

KazahanaPikachu t1_jdm3wv1 wrote

Yea, there’s something called the capital beltway where you can bypass going through DC. I’m a suburbanite in VA and I metro into DC, rarely ever drive. If I want to go northeast of that into Maryland or other states, I drive around it on the beltway. If I/you insist on cutting through DC, well there’s 695/295 so at least you’re on the interstate and elevated above the city, not driving through the dense city streets.

jjl10c t1_jdm779e wrote

Thank you. There's ZERO reason to drive into the city with all the transit options we have in the area. Furthermore, why would you WANT that hassle? I literally don't even like ubering on some days because it's that insane. Quicker to walk/scooter/or Metro

KazahanaPikachu t1_jdm9snq wrote

Right lol, I’ll admit I’ve driven through DC before, but I wouldn’t want to do that at all. Especially in the context of this thread where people are sitting in a traffic jam to see some cherry blossoms.

GenericReditAccount t1_jdjwfgo wrote

Is “carbrains” a common term used on that sub?

meadowscaping t1_jdk79wv wrote

It literally makes zero sense in reality to pilot a 2000 pound, 30sqft machine, powered exclusively by geopolitically strategic resources, to a bottle neck park that is not at all equipped to handle your machine, on a beautiful day, in an area with plentiful public transit and walking and cycling trails.

And then multiple hundreds of people do it and then they get mad about it.

That is peak carbrain.

sagarnola89 t1_jdtncg9 wrote

And then we wonder why 70% of Americans are overweight...

Embarrassed_Bid_4970 t1_jdncldv wrote

Or its being used to chauffer someone who can't walk or ride a bike, and would have a hard time utilizing public transit. Because it's peak smug jackass to assume everyone who uses a car is too lazy to walk.

−6

SeattCat t1_jdo051l wrote

Do you think every single person driving around the tidal basin to see the cherry blossoms is incapable of walking or using public transit?

Embarrassed_Bid_4970 t1_jdo9x5k wrote

No, but assuming everyone in those cars is capable of walking is equally implausible. I have a mother who's wheelchair bound and wanted to see the cherry blossoms so I drove her around. Does that make me a carbrain?

−3

oxtailplanning t1_jdlwrec wrote

Yeah, it's their short hand for the way for describing the phenomenon of how car culture impacts what we view as "normal".

For a while advocates use the term "windshield perspective" to describe how from behind the windshield you have little understanding or empathy for the way those outside a car may need to use the street.

Some researchers are using the term "motornormativity" to describe the phenomenon of that leads many americans (or in this sudy I believe brits) to think it's not ok to leave your private property on the street, but it is ok to leave your private vehicle on the street, or it's not ok to have kids breathe your second hand smoke, but it's ok to have them breathe your car exhaust.

Once you have a culture that is so use to automobiles, it becomes hard to convince people to walk even 500 meters to the store, whereas in the past you would walk maybe 3-4km and it would not be noteworthy.

Motornormativity also causes us to pave over (pun intended) the sheer financial burden of vehicles (second largest household expense outside of housing), the deaths associated with them (a leading cause of death for those aged 1-49, 40k/year in the US), and the environmental impact -- both pollution and inefficient land use.

So yeah, carbrain is a silly term to describe a very real phenomenon. Another way to think about it, if you described the way we use cars, the death they inflict, the environmental damages they cause, the lack of physical exercise they encourage, extreme dedication of space, etc to your great-great-grand parent, they would think you are crazy, but you think it's normal.

GenericReditAccount t1_jdjwiwo wrote

TBF, the traffic just means you get to see the blossoms for an extra long time! 👍

JonesBoyFan2018 t1_jdjwsad wrote

I’ve been here for 33 years and I’ve never gone down to see those trees. I don’t get the obsession.

new_account_5009 t1_jdjya2d wrote

I go down every year that I can. They're absolutely beautiful, and to me, it's a ritual marking the start of spring much like Memorial Day marks the start of summer and Labor Day marks the start of fall. The experience is great on bike once you get past the cars. I did a bunch of laps around Hains Point last night. I chuckled passing the same cars with every lap I did around the park though (that had moved maybe 30 feet for every 3 mile lap I completed on bike).

endlessly_apollo t1_jdjyop2 wrote

I also ignore this every year but saw them this year… it’s pretty cool in person not gonna lie

NorseTikiBar t1_jdk0rzz wrote

Yeah, there's just something about annual rituals that I appreciate more as I've grown older. I get why people don't want to go there during all of this, period, but I see it as an opportunity for a beautiful 9 mile run where I'm giving myself permission to stop, enjoy, and take pictures instead of focusing on pushing through and trying to hit a PR.

listenyall t1_jdm8wk9 wrote

Yeah--i will definitely go to other locations than the tidal basin buti love the cherry blossoms overall. they're so beautiful I love making a point of celebrating spring.

dcduck t1_jdkct7e wrote

Oh man, you missed it in 2020. The entire tidal basin was deserted during the peak. You had the entire place to yourself, it was magical.

buckenmuck t1_jdkt7zo wrote

Wasn't NPS kicking people out of the parks during cherry blossoms in 2020?

dcduck t1_jdku82x wrote

Nah, they just closed the streets and prevented parking.

asdfasdfasdfas11111 t1_jdmkv42 wrote

Nope you just had to walk over from one of the many nearby Metro stops. It was great

rightupyourali t1_jdk5wf2 wrote

You are missing a beautiful, special experience TBH. Give it a try some time when there aren’t a ton of people there, it’s great.

Tulrin t1_jdklkmn wrote

Try the National Arboretum instead. Proper hanami is feasting with friends under the cherry blossoms. Though unlike Japan public drinking is banned here, so it's not quite the same.

jednorog t1_jdk0l7v wrote

They're pretty nice. I like biking down that way before work when they're blooming. The trick is to go by bike, and to focus on East Potomac Park (Hains Point) where fewer people are.

hispanicausinpanic t1_jdkmrwt wrote

I just get my cherry blossom fix by driving thru my neighborhood. No lines either.

Taco_Fries t1_jdl24b6 wrote

I walked there after work on Thursday, worth it once if it’s convenient

Treliske t1_jdk9e95 wrote

I see them from a distance. That's enought for me. Yes, they are beautiful, but I don't need to fight the traffic to get close.

Chef_G0ldblum t1_jdmcg8z wrote

Yeah if only there was another way to see these besides driving to the tidal basin...

sagarnola89 t1_jdtnxzq wrote

Or you could take the Metro. Get some exercise and help the environment.

newreddituser666 t1_jdmbky2 wrote

I live in DC and it’s easier for me to just drive to Annapolis to see the Cherry Blossoms with way smaller crowds and way more parking spaces.

suffertunity t1_jdlfkkj wrote

I took a stroll by there yesterday, this only shows a tiny part of it. Traffic was backed up all the way to the Lincoln with basically zero movement. Lots of VA plates. Do these people know the Metro exists? And where do they even plan to park?

gogo_years t1_jdk3lb7 wrote

It's been many years since I drove down but the small parking lot right next to the Tidal Basin was one way and if some car in front of you decided they were gonna wait until a spot opened up then you were just SOL. I spent an hour in that damn parking lot

daveed4445 t1_jdk9de7 wrote

And when it’s not related to politics!

otter111a t1_jdk1p4w wrote

I flew in last night at sunset. There was a lot of emergency vehicles right at the parking lot where the boats are. Traffic was backed up and not moving across the bridge

bridges-build-burn t1_jdn9uo8 wrote

It might have been the car-vs-bike accident posted about elsewhere in this subreddit

Bebop0420 t1_jdks7a4 wrote

I had a 5 pm tee time at east Potomac last night. The drive in was not optimal.

Deep-Ruin2786 t1_jdkp1m0 wrote

Glad I have tons in my neighborhood. No need for this mess

Smoothvirus t1_jdkzm1l wrote

I used to live in SW within walking distance of there and oh god how I hated cherry blossom season. Sometimes it would take almost 30 minutes to get out of my own neighborhood. Tourists would literally park their cars on the 14th Street Bridge sometimes. Once I got stuck behind this lady driving slow down the middle of G St SW while her husband walked 10 feet in front of her talking to her on the phone while he looked for a parking spot.

guy_incognito784 t1_jdmkwzk wrote

If you’re that hell bent on driving to the mall to see the cherry blossoms hit up Ohio Ave nearby, Maine Ave/Independence Ave are nightmares.

CharizardLeo t1_jdndffb wrote

Enjoy. City, metropolitan, and suburban folks can have it and keep it all. I like my 10 acres up here in the Sierra Nevada mountain range just fine.

Not_Cleaver t1_jdo4bsx wrote

Never, ever go to see the Cherry Blossoms on the weekend.

And if you do, never, ever drive. If you are in the burbs like I am now without a metro - go to a station or park in Virginia and walk across the bridge.

But it’s not worth it. The Mall will be packed and you won’t even get close to the trees.

edgun8819 t1_jdkuk2o wrote

Lol I parked at a parking garage on D street and walked over to the tidal basin yesterday. It was easy

NinjaBilly55 t1_jdlrud0 wrote

I'll drive through Kenwood if I'm over that way because it's worth seeing but avoid other areas like the plague..

alagrancosa t1_jdm60sm wrote

Kenwood has not really kept their cherry trees the way the park service has. They peaked some time in the 90’s or early otts.

Chery blossoms down town are a metro, walk or ride in activity. Tomorrow will be ideal.

x01660 t1_jdozecs wrote

Yet ANOTHER reason to ride a motorcycle in this town.... I rode down there today. And traffic was at a standstill from the Ohio St. Bridge, ALL THE WAY around (they reversed the flow of traffic on Ohio Drive, so you go straight past the gate, then loop in the opposite direction of normal traffic flow) to Maine Ave SW.... Like, stopped. I split lanes the whole way and it STILL took me 30 minutes to make that ride....

No WAY I would go there in a car. Period. Total shitshow....

It WAS gorgeous, though... not gonna lie....

geneticlyperfct t1_jdk31cv wrote

I’m just trying to get to the golf course man…

−4

Southern-Score2223 t1_jdlp1gz wrote

Lifelong DMV resident here. I will NEVER understand this attraction. What the actual fuck is wrong with the million people every year. Stupidest tourist event ever designed.

−4

alagrancosa t1_jdlq2u5 wrote

Cherry blossoms are amazing, I work in the area and can understand why people book up our hotels from all over the world for it. People who drive down their to try and park are doing it wrong and that ruins it completely for them and a little for everyone else.

Midnight_Morning t1_jdoqdgq wrote

Well it's either going here, or going to the source, Japan. Visiting DC is much cheaper for people. Seeing the blossoms in Ueno Park is nice but the cost and time to get there is a bear.

Southern-Score2223 t1_jdtovr3 wrote

They. Are. Flowers.

They exist elsewhere.

They aren't special.

The whole goddamn city shuts down for this stupid thing every year. The trash and traffic, the inability to get to work on time....

It's Sturgis, but with...FLOWERS.

−1

TrashApocalypse t1_jdm0u7w wrote

DC is absolutely one of the places I refuse to go to because driving around there is a nightmare.

−8