Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

OnlyMamaKnows t1_j9ibu5d wrote

The charm of Buzz is a toy who thinks he's a space hero; not in a real space hero. Plus, the plot was pretty damn convoluted for a kids movie.

Maskedcrusader94 t1_j9icwj8 wrote

I had to arduously attempt to explain the concept of time dilation to my 6 year old sister with little success since I didnt really understand it myself.

That being said I thought the movie was cool, but it looked like they couldnt figure out what they wanted it to be, so it probably won't stand out in my memory.

I think they could have gone the more expected route and done a lot better.

OnlyMamaKnows t1_j9idsld wrote

My kids (7 & 5) were pretty lost but liked the robot cat. They've never asked to watch it again which is rare.

Clash_onthe_Can t1_j9ioom8 wrote

This is telling. My nieces are the same age and any movie they like they will watch at least 3-4 times.

skarros t1_j9iqhc1 wrote

Well, it is Einstein‘s relativity theory. Who does understand that really? Explaining it to a six year old seems like a fun challenge though.

Relative-Ad-87 t1_j9iqv2b wrote

Easy. Time = distance + speed. Or something

It's all relative...

_Gemini_Dream_ t1_j9ieqk3 wrote

i mostly agree, at least in the current context, but I think the idea of "Buzz as space hero" could totally have worked... 20+ years ago. Kids who watched Toy Story in the 1990s loved Buzz as an actual toy. It was a HUGE success in toy stores and spawned a successful cartoon too. The official Toy Story 2 video game was even specifically marketed as a Buzz Lightyear game, "Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue".

They missed their window.

A Pixar produced Buzz film in the late 90s or early 00s would have been gigantic.

boot2skull t1_j9ipfgd wrote

I think you can have the serious Buzz or source material Buzz, but it had to be first, not the other way around. We love toy Buzz. We want toy Buzz. We want Buzz and Woody together. I don’t think we’re interested in source material Buzz now that we’ve had Toy Buzz. Besides, did Lightyear even match the tone of what we imagine the source material to be like to create a toy like Buzz?

Seems like a Star Wars problem, where you let the IP live in our heads too long, then add to it. You are going to have to be perfect to make most of the fans happy, and even then, not everyone will be happy. You can gauge how old a person is by how offended they are by each trilogy.

Flatworm-Euphoric t1_j9j9wxm wrote

Toy Story 2 was made in ‘99 against Pixar’s wishes (Eisner would’ve exercised option for Disney to animate a straight to VHS sequel).

Just to frame your timeline. ‘90s really wasn’t a possibility.

BadBoyJH t1_j9ioe45 wrote

>The charm of Buzz is a toy who thinks he's a space hero; not in a real space hero.

Is it? I loved the Buzz Lightyear TV show as a kid, and it was presumably the TV show they would have had in the Pixar Universe featuring Buzz Lightyear, and not about the toy. That "charm" worked just fine for me then.

braundiggity t1_j9ijhyo wrote

The plot is pretty damn convoluted for an adult movie.

Ah_Q t1_j9imq0i wrote

I wanted to like the movie, but it was just ... boring.

Auran82 t1_j9iqjr8 wrote

In my opinion, the plot is too complex for a kids movie, but the actual writing is way too toddler level for most adults to enjoy. Most of the time the resolution for any issues they came across (that were almost always caused by someone doing something dumb) were basically Paw Patrol level.

And I mean seriously, if Andy had watched that movie Woody would have been riding around on a Sox the Cat toy.

AyBruhBee t1_j9ijmb1 wrote

Was he actually a space hero in Lightyear? The whole movie is a blur but doesnt he just give up and fight himself? And then gets rewarded for some reason

securitywyrm t1_j9iq6bh wrote

A thought for a better movie

It's a movie about the actors FILMING the movie of Buzz Lightyear, a kinda stock childrens cartoon fare of the 80s. However the Buzz actor is a "method actor" and gets too much of an ego, tensions flare, and people have to pull together and have some heart to heart moments to get the movie finished, "because it's not about us, it's about the kids who will be inspired by it."

And then after-credits scene of adult Andy working at NASA

contaygious t1_j9ipla8 wrote

I still don't understand frozen 2 myself but my daughter seems to get it lol

Syn7axError t1_j9icxwg wrote

I don't think it needed Woody or Rex. It needed to feel like the same character. I don't buy that toy Buzz thought he was this guy, and his blocky suit completely clashes with the strangely gritty tech.

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command did this much better.

s0ciety_a5under t1_j9iet7a wrote

I forgot about that show. I totally remember the robot being my favorite character.

Pitiful_Pain2474 t1_j9iizi1 wrote

Same! Spent the last half hour looking into that show. Feels like a childhood memory was unlocked.

BigBootyBuff t1_j9iq2ct wrote

That and the Hercules show are two Disney shows I never hear people talk about even though they were great fun. They aren't even on Disney+, at least where I live.

BadBoyJH t1_j9ioh8i wrote

And not the princess? She could straight up phase through shit. Top tier.

Flatworm-Euphoric t1_j9jabad wrote

The first scene — when it was an adventure romp with weird alien biology and bumbling cadet — should’ve been the entire movie.

sheepsleepdeep t1_j9i9jcq wrote

It should have been released on Disney+, and Turning Red should have been released in theaters last summer.

That's what went wrong.

It was fine for a streaming movie. Turning Red had hit written all over it.

CommunicationMain467 t1_j9ib237 wrote

Idk why Disney didn’t put turning red in theaters, especially after their first Asian led superhero movie did well, and then seeing how everything everywhere did… you know they’re kicking themselves for that decision

NotABritishGuy t1_j9idewf wrote

>Idk why Disney didn’t put turning red in theaters, especially after their first Asian led superhero movie did well,

Because Bob Chapek

hotprints t1_j9io6oz wrote

Wow didn’t know it didn’t come out in theaters. Not much of a theater goer and usually watch movies well after they were released. Someone recommended turning red and I thought it was awesome. Never would have guessed it didn’t have a theater release.

sjfiuauqadfj t1_j9ih4r3 wrote

thats probably where being connected to toy story did them in. they banked on name recognition and they expected that name recognition to allow it to do well in theaters. turning red was a much better movie and in a world where there was no panini, it def wouldve done well at the box office. but they seemed spooked to put a new animated ip in theaters due to the panini so it is what it is

That-Soup3492 t1_j9iei7r wrote

The thing is that Interstellar is not any 10 year old boy's favorite action movie. The Buzz Lightyear toy could definitely not have come from the movie that they made. That's the core problem. The Buzz Lightyear TV show understood this. They could definitely have made an action adventure movie along those lines and gotten buy in.

FoMoni t1_j9ih3f9 wrote

You're totally right! It's a great sci-fi movie on it's own but linking it to Toy Story felt unnecessary and ultimately ruined it. Buzz should have been an entirely new character made for the film. In that instance the twist at the end would have been great. Instead, it ended up irritating the audience because it doesn't connect to what we saw in Toy Story 2.

jerog1 t1_j9infak wrote

Strange World is actually closer to a Buzz Aldrin adventure now that I think of it

whitepangolin t1_j9iip08 wrote

I still feel like he's struggling to understand the appeal of Buzz Lightyear. Audiences love that he's a slightly dumb but well intentioned and heroic good guy. He's a great contrast to Woody, a character who is wimpy, emotional, insecure and anxious while Buzz is brave, strong-hearted and a bit naive.

The problem was that the Buzz in Lightyear had none of the appeal of the Buzz Lightyear audiences love. This portrayal was one-dimensional and boring. His character journey is - his inability to let go of the past? His need for control and learning to work with others? This is an action movie for children. The original character was inspired by the 50s action serials like Flash Gordon. He needs to be a barrel-chested hero getting into crazy adventures. Why the hell would they go with a drab, boring, gray movie inspired by Interstellar? What kind of pretentious bullshit is that?

That character can lead his own franchise, but get to the core of what made him work. People liked the straight man in a whacky world. Give him a colorful cast of aliens and 90s silliness instead of that boring, forgettable, braindead, nothing, bleh cast in that movie we got instead. That animated series got the appeal of the character way better, plus paired him with a great supporting cast - Mira Nova was pragmatic and sensible when Buzz was naive, Booster was wimpy and unconfident while Buzz was headstrong, and XR was a know-it-all when Buzz himself is kinda dumb.

It's not the audiences' fault for not understanding the movie. It's Pixar's fault for not understanding their own character.

Thrug t1_j9ipyh8 wrote

> It's not the audiences' fault for not understanding the movie. It's Pixar's fault for not understanding their own character.

This reeks of "do you guys not have phones" arrogance. Sad to see Pixar go the way of Blizzard, but with this attitude it's almost guaranteed they won't recover.

SkilletBillet t1_j9ifub3 wrote

“We did a lot of soul-searching” and then proceeds to not take accountability and instead says that the audience is just too dumb to like it.

Maybe, just maybe, it wasn’t all that great of a story?

Emperor_TaterTot t1_j9ipqbn wrote

That’s how I read this too. He’s blaming the audience but the movie just wasn’t great in reality. Looks like he can’t see past the work.

Hi_Im_zack t1_j9iov40 wrote

You're just twisting his words to sound selfish. He said they made the mistake of assuming enough people will understand the film

−6

Barneyk t1_j9ipbau wrote

>He said they made the mistake of assuming enough people will understand the film

Yeah, and the problem isn't that we didn't understand it, the problem is that it wasn't very good.

We understood it fine.

(But I can understand why kids weren't that excited about it.)

Dazzling_Broccoli294 t1_j9i9e2e wrote

Lol, still not admitting it.

HickRarrison t1_j9in8lt wrote

He said the premise was the reason Lightyear flopped, and he's correct. Kids just aren't interested in Toy Story without the toys.

What else could he have said?

Mestewart3 t1_j9intie wrote

The movie was bad. Because it was.

It's a boiler plate premise that has been done to death. "What? The villain of the time travel story is an older, alternate version of the hero? Le Gasp!".

The characters were shallow.

The 'message' was shoehorned in and had basically nothing to do with anything in the main plot.

The pacing dragged.

It was a poorly put-together movie.

HickRarrison t1_j9ionrb wrote

The premise they advertised was "in-universe Toy Story movie." Basically the movie that inspired Andy to buy Buzz Lightyear toys, except there was no Andy and no toys. It's not incorrect to say kids won't connect with that.

Besides, do you really expect the guy in charge of Pixar to say "our movie was bad, sorry everyone"?

Mestewart3 t1_j9iow35 wrote

I'd prefer if he didn't try to blame it on the audience being dumb.

paulteegoldman t1_j9ip1fr wrote

It couldn’t have been that bad. It has 74% critic rating and 84% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Seems more mediocre than outright bad

−1

Mestewart3 t1_j9iquwy wrote

It certainly wasn't good enough to get butts in seats.

The movie bombed, and it didn't do so because it was too challenging. Pixar made their name doing that shit. There is no way that Lightyear was a more challenging film than Up for example.

paulteegoldman t1_j9isxkn wrote

Box office success doesn’t correlate with quality. Plenty of mediocre to good movies have bombed. You’re thinking in capitalistic terms

CommunicationMain467 t1_j9iaosg wrote

I mean seems about right, even Tim Allen said there was a lot of confusion regarding what the movie was about and who it was about when he got asked about it

FuzzyRo t1_j9il2uf wrote

Tim Allen being confused isn't really indicative of the film's quality

eddymarkwards t1_j9ibrq5 wrote

That is a lot of words to say ‘people thought our movie sucked’.

Because if they didn’t, he wouldn’t be saying anything.

That-Soup3492 t1_j9ieorx wrote

Lightyear is actually an interesting science fiction film that just shouldn't have anything to do with Buzz Lightyear.

It's another victim of only spin-offs getting greenlit, so everyone with an original screenplay has to cram it into some other property that people have heard of.

eddymarkwards t1_j9ighh8 wrote

I think this is the correct answer. Well thought out and explained.

PiLamdOd t1_j9iirlt wrote

If it wasn’t a Buzz Lightyear movie, people would have been praising Pixar’s unique hard sci fi adventure movie.

Mestewart3 t1_j9inzoj wrote

Except it really isn't. It's a Frankenstein of tired and worn out sci fi tropes that have all been done better before, with a forced 'Pixar message' that does nothing but detract from the A plot.

The movie was bad.

−1

Turok1134 t1_j9if75j wrote

No, if you look at the user reviews from sites like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, people liked it okay enough.

eddymarkwards t1_j9igvpm wrote

Ok, I get that as a metric. One proof point.

But I am going to go with economics. The fact is they spent $200k to make this movie and brought in $158k. And that does NOT count marketing spend.

Losing THAT much money, on ANYTHING, is a loss. A failure. Something that should end career(s).

Turok1134 t1_j9ihohf wrote

If you use that same logic and apply it to say, Blade Runner 2049, then that movie should have ended Denis Villeneuve's career.

Or Scott Pilgrim for Edgar Wright's.

eddymarkwards t1_j9ijtvv wrote

Bad directors SHOULD fail. Because they are bad.

Good directors can put out shit but redeem themselves with other works. But Rollerball, Jupiter Ascending, Batman and Robin by Joel Schumacher, THOSE movies end a career.

Martin Scorsese gets away with 'Hugo' because he is fucking Martin Scorsese. Guy Ritchie gets King Arthur. Does Don Hall get another shot after the financial abomination that is 'Strange World'?

Weird and difficult place to be sure.

sjfiuauqadfj t1_j9igvd0 wrote

nah the guy is talking about why they think people thought their movie sucked. you dont learn anything if you just listen to the kids who say "this movie sucked," but you do learn something if you listen to the kids who explain why the movie sucked. this is them explaining that

Penguator432 t1_j9ih7x4 wrote

There’s no way this was 9-year-old Andy’s favorite movie, it had more in common with a gritty reboot made by people who didn’t see the original

Kiethblacklion t1_j9iaakc wrote

The movie could have started with Andy as an adult going to the theater with his friends to see the new reboot movie of Buzz Lightyear. Then the lights dim and Lightyear plays as the "movie within a movie" premise.

themisterfixit t1_j9icufj wrote

So then we’d be watching a movie about another movie about an actor portraying a spaceman, based on a popular children’s toy.

So much less confusing.

Mahdahrah t1_j9ictu1 wrote

Or even a midnight screening rerelease of an old classic biopic film that he loved as a kid

Streets-Ahead- t1_j9ikm3o wrote

There's no way that this "Lightyear" was a kids' movie from the 90s that the Buzz toys came from. Nothing about it fits that concept.

Mahdahrah t1_j9isy0v wrote

Right, Pixar dropped the ball. but I thought thats how Chris Evans described it initially like he's the man the toy is based on.

The unused movie within movie idea is still great regardless.

LargeCharge87 t1_j9ik0k0 wrote

They should’ve based it off that cartoon show they had in like 2000 or so.

That was a funny little show

jrodicus100 t1_j9imohk wrote

Remember the opening of Toy Story 2? With Buzz fighting Zurg’s army? That’s the movie I wanted. Didn’t have to be Tim Allen - CE was fine. But give me that fun, little bit campy, kid-friendly sci-fi space flick.

2hats4bats t1_j9ihy1z wrote

I think the biggest problem is they tried to tell us this was a kids movie from 1995 and then showed us a very 2022 movie. They could have leaned into all of the cheesyness of the Buzz video game intro we saw at the beginning of Toy Story 2 but instead tried to get way too real.

colesimon426 t1_j9iezri wrote

My girlfriend and I saw this film and we were surprised because it was very cliche. So many of the lines were catch phrases. It just kinda...moved forward. It wasn't anything more abstract than it was just poor writing.

MoeSzys t1_j9ihlhv wrote

It failed because it wasn't very good

Splimis t1_j9imrnr wrote

'I think probably what we’ve ended on in terms of what went wrong is that we asked too much of the audience.' Gee thanks. No, you didn't ask too much of your audience, you made a movie so shit that your audience didn't like it. Your audience's sensibilities are not to blame for your inability to make a movie that satisfied what they were looking for in a Lightyear movie. A movie that you already had a perfect template for in the form of a previous television program.

DrRexMorman t1_j9icx8d wrote

> we asked too much of the audience

Hey Pete Docter - the audience wasn’t too stupid to “get” your shitty movie.

Requiem45 t1_j9ifnl4 wrote

This reads to me as him saying "the movie was good, you all are dumb for not understanding why it's good"

No sorry, the movie was unnecessary and boring. It's up there with Cars 2 and The Good Dinosaur.

SyluxHunter8877 t1_j9ihno7 wrote

My biggest problem with it was that it didn’t seem like a movie Andy would have enjoyed very much or would have inspired him. I’ve always imagined the buzz lighter story to be more of a star wars space opera which what toy story portrayed it to be or made it seem like that’s what it was. I think Andy would have been bored by what this movie ended up being.

AthKaElGal t1_j9iih96 wrote

I liked it, but ppl who were fans of Toy Story were looking for a different Buzz. How tf they didn't understand that was beyond me.

MonsieurLeDrole t1_j9ignkq wrote

Guess I'm in the minority, cause I liked it. But the people saying the toy can't be based on that movie are spot on.. or like the toy buzz clearly doesn't think the same. There were a bunch of jokes.. the cartridge bit had me loling... and the cat was hilarious. Me and my kid were laughing at that cat all movie. The anti-woke fearmongering surrounding the movie was ridiculous. I went in pretty blind ( I hate trailers), so I didn't know about any of the time plot, and I was surprised by how sophisticated it was. I though it was good sci-fi, because it took a premise and ran with it.

lowfreq33 t1_j9ij26i wrote

I thought it was a legitimately good light sci-fi movie that would have been far more successful if it weren’t piggybacking on an established kids series. I think maybe they figure more adults would go see it since the first Toy Story came out almost 30 years ago. Betting on the nostalgia thing.

eriffodrol t1_j9ib4mw wrote

I liked it

Maltese_Vulcan t1_j9ibrgi wrote

🤷🏽‍♂️ so did I. I think I can hazard a guess why the loudest screamers didn’t

−11

Drew_The_Millennial t1_j9ilg0j wrote

“We asked too much of our audience” is such pretentious thing to say…about a children’s movie.

throwtheclownaway20 t1_j9i8ufl wrote

What a crock of shit. They made it abundantly clear in the trailers what the movie was.

CommunicationMain467 t1_j9iatgd wrote

Maybe u weren’t around during peak lightyear discourse, but a lot of people were confused, if u don’t believe me go back and read all the threads regarding it bombing at the box office

throwtheclownaway20 t1_j9iez8d wrote

Seriously? LOL...that makes no sense to me

WorthRecognition5663 t1_j9ifrf3 wrote

Me neither. What I remember was conservative homophobes freaking out over a gay relationship and just boycotting the movie.

The movie itself was perfectly fine, and a great story. People that were confused are real...special.

−11

rekniht01 t1_j9id2su wrote

I liked it. I thought is was a good story and a valid movie that makes sense being something Andy liked.

Jamside_Down t1_j9ievep wrote

The tone should have been like that videogame scene that starts TS2. That was perfect. Funny, imaginative, and exciting. BL had a shit story and wasn't funny at all. It was terrible.

JannTosh17 OP t1_j9ij4pw wrote

anyone remember the Buzz Lightyear cartoon? Pixar hates that cartoon apparently but I think it was far better than Lightyear.

uniquecannon t1_j9imck9 wrote

Yeah, Lightyear had no reason to exist when Star Command (both movie and show) did a phenomenal job of giving us a Buzz standalone spinoff

thedragoon0 t1_j9ik6r0 wrote

I liked the movie. I don’t think it’s the movie Andy saw. They say it is but the way the toy says to infinity and beyond, how he is already battling the emperor and the fact that not one did the toy ask where his companion was? All of it didn’t match up.

elhawko t1_j9ifpsp wrote

Solid movie. Both my kids liked it 7/10.

It was no “Toy Story” though. Just a good family sci fi.

EldridgeHorror t1_j9ih772 wrote

For me, it was the robot cat. I saw it in the trailer, recognized it as a cynical marketing attempt, and lost all interest I had in the film.

r2d_touche t1_j9iru3b wrote

I thought the same, then that cat surprised me as being the one fun part of the movie.

SlickShottaa t1_j9ii9cq wrote

Why don’t they just say that it was the gay scenes they put in it I remember when it came out there was articles left and right people pissed off about it. I mean I don’t give a shit about the movie either way but let’s call a spade a spade and not say some dumb shit about expecting to much of the audience and it’s because it was science fiction..

Ah_Q t1_j9in5a0 wrote

I don't think it was poorly received because it had a gay couple. Outside of some outspoken right wingers, no one cares much about that. The movie was poorly received because it was not entertaining.

readwrite_blue t1_j9ijaqv wrote

Honestly there were parts I like but aside from its commercial issues, I thought plot-wise it's a hard sell to present us with a new scifi premise every 30 minutes and hope that adds up to a movie.

Not a bad film, but one without a clear story to tell. That for me is as big an issue as the uncertainty of how it fits in with Toy story.

sloppymcgee t1_j9ijrof wrote

Tim Allen is buzz Lightyear

Rhomega2 t1_j9ie6lw wrote

I wouldn't even put it in my Top 10 of 1995.

Ok_String_2510 t1_j9if4zs wrote

I think probably what we’ve ended on in terms of what went wrong is that we asked too much of the audience

Aye pal, you blame the audience.

Tarantiyes t1_j9ihcld wrote

If only there was a movie called Buzz Lightyear of star command that already existed and was better than Lightyear…

Garuda_Romeo t1_j9iknpy wrote

It's a pretty solid Sci Fi movie. I'd give it a 7/10? However, I would've preferred another kind of story for Buzz instead of what we got.

JacksonIVXX t1_j9iniv5 wrote

Is he saying it's the audience's fault?

DM-Your-Goodies t1_j9igra5 wrote

It would have been perfect if it wasn't a time loop movie. They easily could of had an after credit scene with andy watching it as if it were a show.

SolidA34 t1_j9ihupw wrote

I would say time travel can be a very holit or miss thing in a story. Another problem they are in space yet stuck on one planet. No other alien races. The Buzz Lightyear animated show had both these elements which helped. Add in a rotating cast of characters no wonder why it did not work.

holymojo96 t1_j9ii0n5 wrote

I just watched it about 2 hours ago and thought it was a pretty solid sci-fi movie. I think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves honestly. Everyone speaks to its disconnect from Toy Story as a reason that it did poorly but for me at least I couldn’t care less, he’s a cool character on his own. I even loved the Buzz Lightyear cartoon when I was a kid and that had nothing to do with Toy Story either as far as I can remember, and that didn’t seem to be a problem at the time. Admittedly the “this is the movie Andy watched” text at the beginning of the movie definitely felt like a weird add-on after the fact because it makes no sense that this is supposed to be a 90s movie, but I can’t understand how that apparently ruined the movie for a bunch of people. It’s pretty easy to ignore.

My take on why it didn’t do well is just because it wasn’t a great movie, it was just fine. And since it wasn’t really targeted to kids in the same way most of Pixar is, I think it needed to be great in order to have a more significant impact. I was excited to watch it because it looked like a cool sci-fi movie, and frankly it was, but that’s probably not how you get a ton of people to watch your movie.

imonreddithehe77 t1_j9ii6rf wrote

Hold on... someone mentioned time dilation in this movie and that the plot is too convoluted for children.

So is this actually a good sci-fi movie for adults potentially?

[deleted] t1_j9ij5th wrote

[removed]

PseudoScorpian t1_j9jg5h7 wrote

Most straight people are more than comfortable with gay people. It's a very vocal minority that isn't. And you have to wonder what they're struggling with internally.

Source: I'm straight. Have lots of gay friends. Those gay friends have lots of straight friends. Me and my kid didn't like lightyear because it was a bad movie.

h00n23 t1_j9jgd81 wrote

Conservative have more kids and this is not accounting for socially conservative black and Latino. and what about big international market? Like china? https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/republicans-more-kids-democrats-lot-183722934.html

I myself don't mind being friend with a gay dude or lesbian women but it don't mean that I like seeing gay kiss or I am gonna watch lesbian or gay porn. I don't relate with gay romance at all. Gay people are big minority especially if you remove bisexual.

PseudoScorpian t1_j9jhs2h wrote

People who don't live in cities have more kids and liberals tend to live in cities. It is absurd that accepting gay people as legitimate human beings is a left/right divide, but America is broken

And here, no one is asking you to jerk off to gay porn. There's nothing sexual about it. And, in any case, it is odd that you see "relating to gay romance" as an issue because it is the exact same as our romance... and the movie isn't Broke Back Mountain to begin with. It has very fleeting reference to a lesbian relationship.

You managed to relate to 4 films about talking to toys when you yourself are not a talking toy. What is so challenging about seeing two women hold hands and relating that to your own feelings and concepts of love?

h00n23 t1_j9jidfl wrote

It don't mean that you think that left /right divide. Conservative usually don't like seeing gay romance it don't mean that they would harm gay people. and many black/latino vote for Democrat but are socially conservative. And many Asian countries are conservative. They are big market you can try to shame us but you can't force us to watch and have to deal with flop It is not same as straight romance lol at least it don't feel same. I mean I can imagine myself as the women and guy as the guy I would like. I can't do it in lesbian or gay romance.. Because they have human personality they talk like human lmao I can imagine myself in their shoes I can't do it with gay romance. also last of us had gay sex scene

Anyway LGBT are extreme minority. Especially if you remove bisexual. It sometimes feel like that they're over represented in Western media Also straight kiss romance scene look hot gay scene don't

PseudoScorpian t1_j9jkerx wrote

7 percent of Americans self-identify as LGBTQ. That's not an extreme minority. It is nearly one in ten people. So, no, having the first gay couple in a Disney film in 2022 is not "over representation."

No one is forcing you to watch anything. Once again, it's a bad movie on its own. But your inability to grasp the humanity of homosexual relationships is something you might want to consider.

I never watch straight kiss scenes and think they're hot. This is a disney movie. Nothing is sexual.

You're bringing up the last of us, but I'm not sure why. Thats a show for adults. If gay characters had sex on it, that makes sense. Gay adults do have sex. You can watch a short gay sex scene, as an adult. It has nothing to do with being republican. Its an issue of emotional maturity. You're really just making excuses.

h00n23 t1_j9jl8rt wrote

7% is not big number lmao and how many of them are bisexual? I don't like watching gay sex or gay kiss is it hard to understand? There are almost 7% Asian in USA they get less roles than gay Not in Disney movie. But I have watched kiss or sex scene and thought that they were hot. I can't do that with gay sex or kiss scene. and I can see myself in women shoe. I can't do it with gay. Because I am not gay

As I have said before I recognize I don't mind being friend with gay person and I won't attack any gay person for being gay.

How am I making excuse? You are the one who is shaming me For no reason. I am not even sure if you are actually straight if you like to watch gay sex. Maybe you are bisexual?

PseudoScorpian t1_j9jmn8j wrote

See, there it is again. You're unable to imagine having empathy with gay people. For a normal person. It is a non issue.

And off the top of my head Turning Red and Shang Chi came out last year. Are Asians over represented? Two movies were Asian led last year. Buzz Lightyear wasnt even led by a gay couple. It just had one in it. Holding hands. If we go through the movies with asian characters your argument will look even dumber. Your argument doesn't hold water. Non-hispanic whites only make up 60 percent of America. 95 percent of movies have white leads. If anyone is over represented it is the straight white guy.

I would be open about being bisexual if I were. Literally no one I know cares in Canada and I obviously am pretty comfortable with my sexuality in comparison to the guy who refuses to even watch gay people kiss. So that gotcha is somewhat ineffective.

And, for the last time, NO ONE IS ASKING YOU TO THINK IT IS HOT. This isn't pornography we are talking about here. Your obsession with this tidbit js glaring. Why are you so worried about thinking jts hot? There's all sorts of amazing stories you are going to miss out on if the only people you're capable of empathising with are people like you.

But your issues are obviously deeper seeded than something that can be undone with a mere reddit argument. So I'm going to call it a day and get on with my life. Good luck with your internalized homophobia and repressed urges

h00n23 t1_j9jrdvm wrote

They're doing it because they want china money and there are many Asian countries anyway. Asian are majority in global movie. These movies and tv shows try to attract Asian audience. But if you check statistics then gay people get more roles than Asians. How am I not able to empathize if I don't mind being friend with them? I just don't like seeing gay sex scene or kiss. Same reason why I don't watch gay porn. I don't have watched it lmao so I won't comment on it's story

I am comfortable with my sexuality too. Lmao it is not about being comfortable it is just not liking it. I prefer movies/show with hot actors. Am I threatened by average or unattractive people too?

I can empathize with all kind of people. It is not about it lmao I just get weird feeling when I see same gender people kissing each other

Bye and I am no gay lmao this is just your way of shaming me

[deleted] t1_j9inaf9 wrote

[deleted]

−3

PseudoScorpian t1_j9jgapf wrote

He is afraid that if he watches a movie with gay people in it that he will have to confront the thing he's clearly repressing.

minblowaa t1_j9ikjy2 wrote

I liked it and my son watches it on repeat. I guess it depends , my son is a big buzz lightyear / Toy Story fan.

SynsterCitizenErased t1_j9ilkpb wrote

Lightyear was essentially Interstellar for kids. Seeing how most adults still struggle to grasp interstellar to this day I can see how most kids would be confused too. I watched it on a plane though and thoroughly enjoyed the film. It featured good action, nice character development and simple fun too. I’d certainly watch it again but I’m a 32 year old and not a kid.

Memetron69000 t1_j9iloax wrote

I didn't watch it because they tried to piggyback an IP with a premise and genre it had nothing to do with, rather than in invest in a new IP; they didn't have faith in the story standing on its own legs without brand recognition, so why should I.

ROSCOEMAN t1_j9ilwc4 wrote

Pixar Forehead more like

spiderinside t1_j9img7n wrote

It’s funny and a good sci-fi film. I get why Toy Story fans weren’t particularly thrilled by it though. ‘Film’ Buzz and ‘Toy’ Buzz are very different characters. I took my 4 year old to see it, she loves Toy Story, and she has a lot of questions, but still enjoyed it and has watched it at least 5 or 6 times on Disney+ as well. Sox is her fav.

_Killj0y_ t1_j9imw5u wrote

He fails to mention the pretty strong campaign against it because of LGBT themes and lack of Tim Allen playing Buzz (which the campaigners attributed to Tim being conservative.)

Now I havent seen the movie myself so I don't know if anything is true about it, but this was the only buzz I heard about buzz at the time, and I do think it influenced a fair number of people on wether to take their kids to see it.

Complete_Entry t1_j9inmzc wrote

People had a fondness for the television show and the movie said "nah, it ain't like that"

Bebop_Man t1_j9io9rz wrote

He still doesn't get it.

BenjaminHarvey t1_j9iokfo wrote

It would be funny if he just blamed Chris Evans.

anxious_annie416 t1_j9ioq3d wrote

They were just so secretive about it, only saying that it's his origin story, but also not at all nudge nudge, wink wink.

I was set up for disappointment by the intro; don't tell me Buzz Lightyear was a character in a mid 90's alien action flick and then not deliver an homage to the genre.

I still liked it. My nephew is obsessed, so we watch it all the time. But there was a better movie in there somewhere.

Appropriate_Chip669 t1_j9ios3a wrote

Uh yeah. Other reasons come to mind on why it failed but I don't even want to open up that can of worms. All I can say is enough already.

mumbels64 t1_j9iosu7 wrote

It was a bad idea…I guess these guys who think they know everything about telling stories, don’t.

Mowensworld t1_j9ioxs0 wrote

They could have done the sci-fi movie, if it portrayed Buzz as the space hero like in the Toy Story 2 opening.

mooslapper t1_j9ip0wq wrote

I mean I liked it, but I have no attachment to toy story. I saw it as a decent Sci fi movie

contaygious t1_j9ipozg wrote

Honestly none of the plot should matter. Kids don't go to a movie for the plot and no one really knows before they see it. The appeal is or buzz himself and thafs it.

My six year old daughter loves the movie so I dunno what to say lol

longshot24fps t1_j9ipqt4 wrote

Better for them to have done this as a standalone movie with a new character at a lower budget. I Ben if it failed, they would have lost a lot less $$ and not punched a hole in their Toy Story franchise.

“We asked too much of the audience” reeks of condescension: it’s not our fault you didn’t want to buy tickets to our movie. Toy story is the gold standard of Pixar and Disney animated franchises. Lightyear was an ok movie, but they chose to cut ties with Buzz Lightyear, a character they’d spent decades building. For a beloved animated character, altering the look and replacing the voice is guaranteed to throw an audience. Nothing against Chris Evans, but imagine replacing Tom Hanks with him for Woody with similar changes. It’s just not Woody any more. Yes, Pixar says this is the movie Andy watched, but they’re not fooling anyone.

Pixar has made some of the best animated films ever. I hope they get their mojo back.

improvmama101 t1_j9iq6kk wrote

I loved Lightyear and think the general public have no taste.

Syhkane t1_j9iqba0 wrote

Maybe zerg being buzz was a dog shit twist and everything related to the cartoon for the nearly 100% of people this movie would have mattered to was invalidated

goliathfasa t1_j9iqq4i wrote

Watch them make a b&w Woody film in the John Wayne western style and wonder why it also bombs at the box office.

jawise t1_j9irbr1 wrote

I really liked this movie. I can't imagine a kid liking it

IfYouWantTheGravy t1_j9itmnc wrote

It didn't feel like a 90s SF-action film - and definitely not one a kid would've considered his favorite movie.

My headcanon is Andy saw Strange Days instead.

IcelandicChocolate t1_j9jftyt wrote

I didn't hate it like everyone else did, but I understand why people didn't like it even if I don't agree. I thought it was a fun movie, separated from the main canon by being an in universe Buzz Lightyear movie.

The problem boiled down to the fact that most people who grew up with the Toy Story movies all have their own ideas about what a Buzz Lightyear movie should be, and those ideas and expectations prevented a lot of people from just enjoying the ride.

I feel like years down the line it'll get a better shake and be a cult classic.

OnlyMamaKnows t1_j9jg4k5 wrote

This sub has more posts deleted or removed than any place on the internet. It's a real problem.

Lcdent2010 t1_j9jsg07 wrote

Wowsers, pretty crazy that no one has stated the obvious or pointed out the giant elephant in the room. It’s not rocket surgery. Homosexuality is niche, don’t make niche products for general release and get surprised when the general public doesn’t buy the product. Every product that has been released in the last two years that has been released like this from Hollywood has underperformed.

2little2much t1_j9mw59m wrote

It's less like "a film from which the toy Buzz Lightyear is based on" and more like "a gritty reboot/reimagining inspired by the Buzz Lightyear toyline".

cnygreen t1_j9ifaw7 wrote

They should have done an introduction scene of the kid from Toy Story walking into the theaters with his mom to watch the movie. And then a credits scene of him buying the Buzz toy in a store.

olddicklemon72 t1_j9ih93j wrote

Not a bad idea of having the film bookended, but as we all know Buzz was a birthday gift.

Mindofmierda90 t1_j9ihdi4 wrote

They should’ve animated it intentionally bad like a 90s cartoon. Satire, basically.

WowSoFetch t1_j9ij353 wrote

Lots of copium. It failed because the story was garbage, it was political so received negative press and positive word of mouth was nonexistent

Western-Pianist-5337 t1_j9ile2g wrote

It should have been a movie of how buzz got to Andy’s bedroom.

DVDN27 t1_j9inow6 wrote

I loved the movie. As a stand-alone thing, it makes sense. I don’t get how people see two different iterations of the character, notice they are different iterations of the character, and get upset that they’re different.

It’s a film character. Then they make a toy for the character who has their own personality - because Toys in Toy Story are sentient and have their own personalities. People compare TS2 Buzz to Lightyear Buzz and complain they’re not the same, but TS2 Buzz had a completely different story arc in the first, had completely different relationships and wants, and was a different person.

Like…why are you so angry? It’s not like you can’t watch the Toy Story franchise anymore to see the Buzz you know and love, Lightyear was just a different take on the character.

Lisrus t1_j9ip992 wrote

I really liked the movie... I guess that's all I have to add here

[deleted] t1_j9i8uwr wrote

[deleted]

−1

AutoModerator t1_j9i8uxq wrote

gO wOkE Go BrOkE lmao gottem

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

MonsieurLeDrole t1_j9iguz4 wrote

In this case, "going woke" means... what? Having black scientist, and like 2 quick seconds that vaguely acknowledge the character is a lesbian... Like how wonderbread does a movie have to be to appease these haters?

−1

Throw187Away2023 t1_j9ieh5t wrote

Damn, this thread is surprisingly toxic. Did people hate this movie? I thought it was okay.

−1

DTAPPSNZ t1_j9ighmk wrote

Is just justification so they can do a new Toy Story no-one asked for right?

−1

AloneCan9661 t1_j9in09s wrote

Because we wanted Tim Allen and not a serving of wokeism in a kids movie? Honestly, this movie is on Disney+ and I still haven’t bothered with it.

−5

Anora6666 t1_j9inx7u wrote

What the fuck are you going on about?

AloneCan9661 t1_j9iqeua wrote

You know what I mean and your violent reaction shows that you wouldn’t even listen to anything I had to say.

Two women kissing, let alone people kissing shouldn’t be in a movie geared for kids…Disney has gone all out on this and their results have proved to be disastrous.

−1

Anora6666 t1_j9jr2fz wrote

Why does it matter the gender of the people kissing? It’s all love. Fucking homophobe.

holtharris t1_j9ic4qc wrote

You must be right. I loved it. I'm a 52 year old white male heterosexual. What we used to call a man. But it's supposed to be for kids. I think I'm gonna watch it again now. Gn.

−12

ChooseACoolName t1_j9iakqg wrote

"Failed"

A few homophobes throwing a tantrum over a little kiss hardly constitutes failure.

−27

uniquecannon t1_j9iaxwv wrote

The movie lost Disney ~$200m. How is that not considered a failure?

Kevin69138 t1_j9idz3f wrote

Lol 200mm is nothing in Disney money. You know what is Disney is worth right?

−9

uniquecannon t1_j9iebhd wrote

A failure is a failure is a failure. Since Disney isn't registered as a non-profit charity organization, anything that loses them money isn't seen as a success

h00n23 t1_j9ikg1u wrote

Conservative are more likely to have more kid's See this https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/republicans-more-kids-democrats-lot-183722934.html and it is not even accounting for socially conservative black and Latino . You can insult them as much you want but they are huge percentage of audience ignoring them increase chance of flop. Not even talking about conservative international market

R12B12 t1_j9in1sh wrote

How was this movie “ignoring conservatives”?

h00n23 t1_j9iordl wrote

I didn't watched it. I usually check review before doing it. Reviews said that it is woke so i avoided it

R12B12 t1_j9ipw1l wrote

Aah okay. There’s no need to hide behind the favorite code word of right wing bigots, “woke.” Just say you want to go back to the days when lgbtq, Black and brown people were marginalized and movies solely focused on straight white people.

h00n23 t1_j9irrnq wrote

I am Asian not even white why are you assuming my race? Thank you is my english good enough to sound like white American .

Most people here don't want to watch lgb shows or movie. I am just telling you truth. Nothing else what is my mistake if truth is bitter for you? Do you want me to lie? Lgbq is very big minority even in USA. I have family there lol

If you want to do huge business then you need to make something that conservative also enjoy. In many Asian countries conservative are majority. And big percentage of USA

I am seeing American media becoming less popular everyday in my and other Asian countries because of wokism.i myself mostly watch Asian media these days I don't care about race of actor as long they're attractive and good actor. Zendaya is brown and i like her she is cute.