Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

noshore4me t1_j0ahy6c wrote

Wait until you hear how they used to refer to the USA and surrounding areas as "the new world."

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0aimhy wrote

When talking about wine we still do.. :) The bigger wine producers of Europe are called "the old world" while usa, South America, South Africa and Australia is referred to as "the new world" :)

tyvanius t1_j0atygt wrote

The same rule applies to tarantula species!

konosyn t1_j0aw394 wrote

And primates, and vultures, and other critters. Probably plants too.

CharlemagneIS t1_j0apx14 wrote

Which made the Judgment of Paris the colossal upset that it was

Nazamroth t1_j0b3i06 wrote

Oh boy, I never get tired of that. I can only imagine their faces when they realized the magnitude of their fuck-up.

RushDynamite t1_j0cy167 wrote

As a Napa native I also never get tired of it. Imagine picking a fight twice being the judge of the contest and losing both times.

salton t1_j0aufy7 wrote

Europe's wine owes its existence to the grafting of vines to American grape root stock that weren't vulnerable to a species of aphid that was destined to wipe the industry out.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_French_Wine_Blight

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0awt3d wrote

And americas wine industry owes its existence to the thousand years old traditions, knowledge and varieties from europe for existing in the first place, so everyone benefits from not putting themselves on high horses. :)

x21in2010x t1_j0b3tqw wrote

What is this, the magic of globalism?! How dare us for getting better quality wine on 5 continents today.

Free trade is essential for human rights, we hope.

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0b65og wrote

Exactly and who could possibly not want higher quality wine becoming more available and affordable!

sjk8990 t1_j0c09z9 wrote

Globalism: the cause of, and answer to, all of life's problems.

Nazamroth t1_j0b3l9x wrote

Help, I have acrophobia and someone put me on this shire horse!

Lurker_IV t1_j0b5g7s wrote

American grapes were a popular and common native food. They might not have had a specific wine industry (as far as we know) but they were as domesticated a food crop as corn. Thousands of years of traditions on both sides.

−4

Girly_Shrieks t1_j0ax5qx wrote

Did you really have to be a dick about it? To your credit you do sound like a European trying to be highborn.

−39

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0axv6i wrote

I were a dick about it? Did you even read the comment I answered? I merely laid out the entire story instead of the selected part that fit their narrative.

salton t1_j0azdn6 wrote

You just seem a little defensive.

−20

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0b0qa9 wrote

Sorry mate, I'm not the one using one half of a story to make my point seem more valid, so no, I don't think so. :) All I did was pointing out that the "new world" still applies in a specific context. Then whoever became all defensive about "Europe owing everything to the us" when it comes to wine. I'm sorry, but you clearly haven't read the discussion from the beginning.

salton t1_j0b0tr0 wrote

Why are you even talking to me? You're point is unrelated to mine.

−12

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0b13kl wrote

I'm explaining why your point is wrong, thats all :)

salton t1_j0b162z wrote

How old are you?

−8

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0b1alx wrote

If you know I'm old enough to be interested in the agricultural part of winemaking thats pretty much all you need to know :)

salton t1_j0b1fu5 wrote

I posted a link to references. I calmly explained what happened. If you want to refute that with your own sources that's on you.

−1

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0b1v4j wrote

I'm sorry, I confused your username with the guy who called me a dick, that's on me.

salton t1_j0b21pr wrote

If true then NP. No harm no foul. I could have been egging you on a bit.

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0b38t0 wrote

Yeah and I could have not reddited while working so maybe qt least one of them would have been "executed successfully" :P Have a nice day!

Krnpnk t1_j0b7cvk wrote

Yes they saved it from a aphid that also came from America...

salton t1_j0b7lc5 wrote

I was waiting for the first person to actually read the wiki.

tim-fawks t1_j0bhxms wrote

Yah brought to Europe by some French guy so check mate

UncommonHouseSpider t1_j0cdvum wrote

Is Canada old world then? We aren't on your list?

onehandedbraunlocker t1_j0dhdgo wrote

I honestly don't know, Canada certainly doesn't belong to "the old world" when it comes to wine and I'm not sure if it belongs to "the new world" either or if it, like my own country, doesn't belong to either. :)

thecolortuesday t1_j0an1u9 wrote

If I ever think about certain plant/animal origins that we use for food I think about it in old world vs new world too. It’s just easier to group the americas vs asia/europe/africa. I also just think it sounds kinda cool

konosyn t1_j0aw4ul wrote

It IS kinda cool. Moreso than eastern/western hemisphere, IMO.

weidenbaumborbis t1_j0b8uue wrote

I am korean and have no idea what youre talking about. Can you tell me the korean term?

fafarex t1_j0c0a1l wrote

It's a worldwide expression he wasn't implying it to be Korean.

standardtrickyness1 t1_j0ap2pa wrote

Society grows great when old people make soy sauce they'll never taste.

tinyanus t1_j0b9y53 wrote

The blacker the sauce, the tastier the juice.

NickyXIII t1_j0ct2zl wrote

I could say it ain't so But darlin', what's the use?

normpoleon t1_j0d4cqy wrote

I say the darker the sauce, then the deeper the roots

ZazzyMatazz t1_j0ekiz8 wrote

This isn't an ambulance, it's a god damn soynbulance!

czymjq t1_j0f6bxq wrote

This ain't a scene, it's a goddamn arms race.

Pyronic_Chaos t1_j0aiym4 wrote

>The 360-year-old soy sauce featured at the Blue House state dinner during U.S. President Donald Trump’s visit to Korea on Nov. 7 garnered international attention, as some noted that would make it older than the United States itself.

>“I hesitated, but decided to give a bit of the sauce because I wanted to take this opportunity to show the president of the United States how authentic Korean food tastes

Too bad he put ketchup on it right after she left.

heisdeadjim_au t1_j0aocju wrote

How can someone so rich be so uneducated in the ways of the world? I mean this is a guy who could literally afford to apply caviar to his toast like us plebs apply peanut butter....

opiate_lifer t1_j0aporj wrote

Caviar isn't THAT expensive, cheapest I've seen was like $5 USD for a small jar of a few ounces. Granted I've never tried the $1-2K a gram Iranian or Russian ones they keep locked up in the grocery.

vrenak t1_j0b517x wrote

Sounds like you've had faux caviar, the good brands of that goes for about that price for that quantity

opiate_lifer t1_j0b6177 wrote

What makes the a cheap shit faux? Unless the FDA is really sleeping it appears to be fish eggs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roland-Black-Caviar-Whole-Grain-Lumpfish-2-oz/44708530

I've had pricer caviar, but I'll pass on the 1K a gram shit lol Its not worth it in my opinion.

vrenak t1_j0b72kd wrote

To be real it's not just any fish, it's a specific one, and that one, is the wrong one.

opiate_lifer t1_j0b7fj3 wrote

Ah so a champagne situation then?

vrenak t1_j0b7lyt wrote

Pretty much yes, you can get something pretty close, not the walmart one linked though, but they exist, they're just not the actual thing.

TerribleIdea27 t1_j0bgo7b wrote

Caviar has to come from sturgeon to be real caviar. If you're selling regular fish eggs as caviar, you're basically selling horsemeat as if it is beef. Illegal in Europe at least, don't know about US rules.

Mmonannerss t1_j0c3gpi wrote

Its apparently illegal to import sturgeon caviar to the US due to environmental conservation. That's what I gathered from a quick Google search. Pricing was between $70-250 though

Gumburcules t1_j0deo37 wrote

> I'll pass on the 1K a gram shit lol Its not worth it in my opinion.

My wife and I splurged on a caviar sampler which included $200/oz Osetra. We both agreed the $30 paddlefish "fake" caviar was by far our favorite.

heisdeadjim_au t1_j0aptmk wrote

Well, that was an expression. I'm not particularly fond of the man, by the way. I just don't comprehend how someone with money can be so dumb.

If I had that money I'd be travelling the world experiencing things.

opiate_lifer t1_j0aqbqq wrote

This is Donald Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgJAxkALyc

Can you even believe this is the same guy?! I suspect Trump as we know him is an act, like Boris Johnson he plays a buffoon thinking it appeals to the common man.

I suspect the real Trump who casually uses the word abeyance in conversation and almost certainly has a refined palate would put off his base lol

−13

InappropriateTA t1_j0atqpt wrote

I don’t think so. He still has a limited vocabulary, ‘dodges’ a very pointed question (avoids details, gives pretty much a canned response), and uses the idiom “holding in abeyance” improperly.

I would guess that he had it on his word of the day calendar, or it’s a term that he’s heard but doesn’t really know how to apply it.

opiate_lifer t1_j0au6c3 wrote

Compared to "bigly" era Trump using a word albeit incorrectly gets points from me.

whiffitgood t1_j0ayo0k wrote

Most people aren't as sharp as they were 10+ years prior

Fortknoxvilla t1_j0axjlh wrote

Money can't buy class. Etiquettes, manners and charism are unavailable for many rich people.

267aa37673a9fa659490 t1_j0b1qri wrote

While Trump loved putting ketchup on steak, there were no reports that he did so during this meal. Although it is also unconfirmed if he actually tried the 360 year old sauce.

Deepfire_DM t1_j0aqrvm wrote

… I have dice that are older than USA (ok, one die)

Dejan05 t1_j0ax4l9 wrote

My family has a couple of chairs that are older than the USA

Alanjaow t1_j0b0lkg wrote

That's actually awesome! What kind is it? What's it made out of?

Deepfire_DM t1_j0b6j6n wrote

A gift from an Ex, some years ago - I'm not totally sure but I presume it's ivory. A 6-sided die, probably from the late middle ages.

It's an often used running gag for elder role players (as in D&D) to pronounce, that they "have dice that are older than you" when playing with younger players - well, this one is by far older than all of my players ages combined.

Carved_In_Chocolate t1_j0ekpk8 wrote

I have a Roman one from about 200 AD. Never would use though as it is made of lead.

Son_of-Spam t1_j0b6h6p wrote

Totally believe it. I live near an amazing KBBQ spot in Northern VA called Honey Pig and their house sauce was unbelievable. I asked the waitress what it was and they said they don’t know. It’s a forever sauce.

A sauce that never stops cooking

DoctorCIS t1_j0c55gj wrote

Honey Pig is delicious, but it is an experience, especially the Annandale location. It's not looking approachable to newbies like Breakers in Fairfax. It's not looking trendy like Iron Age in Chantilly. It knows you are here for the food so just sit down and eat damn it.

leonryan t1_j0atik5 wrote

i was watching Korea#1 yesterday too. Fun show.

Roczkyy t1_j0cxryc wrote

Came here to see if someone else recognized her from the show. I loved the show.

CarryThe2 t1_j0b40ug wrote

Most countries have most things older than the US lol

tomistruth t1_j0b4wj0 wrote

USA isn't really that old, ya know. There are still living tortoise older than the USA. Now if you could open a bank account under your pets name, imagine how much wealth it could accumulate with interests. Somebody wake me when they legalized banking for pets. I'm busy starting a turtle school. Will call it Mutant Ninja Turtle School.

foofoobee t1_j0cy5f2 wrote

The oldest living tortoise is about 190, so no, not older than the US.

tomistruth t1_j0cyefz wrote

That's just the oldest human fed tortoise. Lots of big guys living in the free world.

MuthaPlucka t1_j0c2vj3 wrote

Mutant Ninja Turtle Highschool.

… and now I’ve got that Godamn theme song stuck in my head.

sabersquirl t1_j0b9x4p wrote

Everyone getting mad that this soy sauce being older than the US could somehow be interpreted as if it reflected poorly on the country, when really it’s just a notable point in time to mark how old this sauce is. They are using you as a reference for how impressively old the soy sauce is, Americans, not making fun of your country for being established more recently than some other countries.

Kedosto t1_j0c7qxc wrote

“You call that a country?! Pfft, I’ve got soy sauce older than that.”

MattieBubbles t1_j0b8blg wrote

So honest question, how has it not gone bad in some way?

Mmonannerss t1_j0c3lf0 wrote

It's already fermented and has a high salt content.

Maxtrix07 t1_j0b87e7 wrote

So like, does Soy Sauce never go bad?

ehque t1_j0bh0h5 wrote

It’s a fermented product, so it’s already “gone bad” in some sense.

It’s also incredibly salty, which also inhibits microbial growth.

greentea1985 t1_j0c5xzt wrote

I wish the article had more information about the sauce. Has the sauce been fermenting for 360 years or has the mother (the bit that you add to each batch to ferment it, akin to a bread starter) been around for 360 years? Comparing soy sauce to balsamic vinegar, there are some positively ancient vinegar mothers out there and the best vinegars are aged for 25+ years, so it’s very important to make a distinction if the soy sauce has been aged for 360 years or if the mother is 360 years old.

Geomancer_1880 t1_j0b0u62 wrote

There's outhouses in Europe older then USA

Geminii27 t1_j0b18ah wrote

I too have a fridge like that.

Salmol1na t1_j0b1sek wrote

Think I have some older than the USA too. Tried to refill the bottle I stole but the top was so crusted on it required a vice grips and three different grown-ass men to remove it

that_yeg_guy t1_j0bdxyx wrote

FYI: The USA ain’t that old. They’re basically the international equivalent of the teenager that hit puberty too early and is now a foot taller and 50lbs heavier than the other teenagers, but still a teenager.

Aggressive-Cut5836 t1_j0bk1tk wrote

It’s actually the one of if not the oldest country with the same form of government today as it had for the past ~250 years. “South Korea” wasn’t really a country back then. The UK was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (now it’s Northern Ireland). France was still a monarchy or else was on its 1st republic (now it’s on its 5th republic I think).

Arachnatron t1_j0djwgz wrote

Same sort of government or same label for the type of government?

VoiceOfLunacy t1_j0dp84s wrote

Well, we were a republic, but I dunno what the hell we are now.

frodosbitch t1_j0capao wrote

Isn’t there a big bowl of soup that has been constantly cooking for decades. Stuff goes in. Stuff comes out. But the soup is forever.

Roczkyy t1_j0cyes5 wrote

KOREA No. 1!

VPestilenZ t1_j0czm9s wrote

There's a show called Korea No. 1 on Netflix, which has an episode about this lady and their traditional sauce family business. They even let the hosts try a bit of it

ddwood87 t1_j0eo21a wrote

My shit has microbes older than humanity.

FredVIII-DFH t1_j0ezmo8 wrote

They should throw it out. I'm sure it has expired by now.

EternamD t1_j0bto98 wrote

USA will do anything to not use metric SMH

sirbassist83 t1_j0csoqb wrote

well ive never held a kilo of cocaine, but i do know exactly how much a cheeseburger weighs, so checkmate, globalists.

TangeloBig9845 t1_j0dw9v1 wrote

At least it wasn't wasted on Pedo Joe.

SmashScrapeFlip OP t1_j0e20bl wrote

did you see Trump's new NFT collection? He definitely doesn't look like a complete fucking moron in his cowboy and spaceman outfits.

TangeloBig9845 t1_j0e3z7j wrote

Oh come on. Is it always about Trump? He's a washed up has been. The easiest way to forget Trump is to not talk about him...

SmashScrapeFlip OP t1_j0e4gdx wrote

sorry, I just assume at this point people who hate Biden automatically love Trump.

TangeloBig9845 t1_j0e59wg wrote

All good. But that's exactly what they want. If the left fights the right, or vise versa, then the people can't fight the 1%. And they are the true people in power. The 1% pays politicians to pass laws that benefit themselves and keep them rich.

SmashScrapeFlip OP t1_j0e5nqh wrote

amen brother. Rare to see someone who gets it like you do.

TangeloBig9845 t1_j0e9pua wrote

>Rare to see someone who gets it like you do.

And that's a problem. Stop assuming, find common ground and bring people together so we can make changes that will make a difference.

I'm glad we agree on something.

Danju t1_j0cgulg wrote

It was wasted on Trump.

−1

right-arrow t1_j0b1fop wrote

Egypt has pyramids older than the USA

−2

x21in2010x t1_j0b3k4p wrote

A lot of people impulsively see this as a "dunk" on the U.S.

−4

MJTony t1_j0c2xgp wrote

Which people? Who has said it’s a ‘dunk’?

FrankieMcGigglefits t1_j0av5w7 wrote

I have tires on my car from 2018 older than op. Point?

−6

[deleted] t1_j0agzdz wrote

[deleted]

−7

samuelgato t1_j0ahqkp wrote

"Waiter, bring us some fresh wine, the freshest you've got. This year's! No more of this old stuff!!"

"He doesn't realize he's dealing with sophisticated people here.”

vernochan t1_j0aipab wrote

Like the great Barney Stinson once said: "New is always better!"

Scoobydoomed t1_j0alzht wrote

Ahh yes monsieur! We have a special bottle just for you, it's so fresh it hasnt even fermented yet. We call it Jus de Grapes.

Scoobydoomed t1_j0ahcx8 wrote

Soy is fermented and does not spoil, and is actually a preservative. It gets better as it ages, there is nothing gross about this.

BabyTRexArms t1_j0ayvna wrote

There’s no shortage of things older than ~250 years. The year is 2022. Does that not tell you enough?

−8

Nazamroth t1_j0b3qse wrote

Yeah, there should be things that are 2000 years old. We must find them and hoard them in England.

APRForReddit t1_j0b96mx wrote

It’s kind of funny. It’s not exactly a secret about what happened in 1776.

What is kind of surprising when you sit down and think about it is that the USA went from not-a-country to unquestionably the most dominant cultural, economic, and military super power in less than two centuries.

Also the UK wasn’t established as a country until the 19th century

BabyTRexArms t1_j0b4cnb wrote

It was a point I was trying to make about america being relatively young for a country. In the grand scheme of things, 250 years is nothing. Things in most Asian countries are often much older. By the way, I am not British, and have heritage from a country conquered by them.

zoupishness7 t1_j0b81ao wrote

Rocks are old, sure, but things prepared by humans, centuries ago, for human consumption, and are still consumable, are not nearly as common as rocks.

BabyTRexArms t1_j0b8mz4 wrote

My point was about america being a very relatively young country.

zoupishness7 t1_j0b8xq5 wrote

My point was that edible things tend to not last as long as relatively young countries. So it's notable when they do.

BabyTRexArms t1_j0b9d4h wrote

It was my belief that most Asian cultures and foods are way older than America.

zoupishness7 t1_j0bad0w wrote

We aren't talking about a recipe here, we're talking about a batch of soy sauce prepared 360 years ago, that is not only edible, but prized. How much else can you say that about? Honey can last longer, but humans don't make it. There are a few bottles of wine that old, selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and most of them aren't even drinkable. There's also some vinegar, but I don't know of much beyond that.

BabyTRexArms t1_j0bc3zt wrote

This is a Theseus’ ship moment. Same batch my ass.

−2

zoupishness7 t1_j0c9cu7 wrote

I mean, I'm happy to entertain the idea that you're aware of something about this situation that I am not, because your ass would have to hurt if you just pulled the ship of Theseus out of it. Though, it seems strange to say “It is one of our most prized possessions as we only have two-thirds of it left in the pot,” if they were constantly topping it back up.

cayennepepper t1_j0ap7g9 wrote

No thanks. Nice tradition but not on my dinner plate

−19

OrangeJuiceAlibi t1_j0as79a wrote

Do you just not like soy sauce?

cayennepepper t1_j0at68e wrote

Well i live in Japan so id be fucked if i didnt.

−7

OrangeJuiceAlibi t1_j0avmus wrote

Then what's the issue with this?

Antimologyst t1_j0b1cxb wrote

They probably don’t like the idea of eating something that old. Some people just find it gross.

VentureQuotes t1_j0aufd5 wrote

how old is their constitution

−19

IRHABI313 t1_j0avx8k wrote

Japan has companies and businesses that are over a thousand years old

VentureQuotes t1_j0ax4pq wrote

Awesome but their constitution tho…?

−16

IRHABI313 t1_j0ay3vo wrote

Well they used to have an Emperor so after 1945 when they were occupied by America they wrote a Constitution for Japan guess its up to you to decide if its their Constitution since they didnt write it and were forced to follow it and theyre an American Puppet State and make no decisions on their own and take orders from America

wildadragon t1_j0aedm2 wrote

No shit the USA is only 246 years old so many countries are older and have things older than it. Practically every Asian country is older than the USA.

−27

samuelgato t1_j0ahego wrote

Yes but we're talking about the age of condiments more so than countries

SmashScrapeFlip OP t1_j0afa0w wrote

I didn't realize the age of Korean soy sauce was such common knowledge.

[deleted] t1_j0ag9dh wrote

[deleted]

−18

SmashScrapeFlip OP t1_j0agbwc wrote

the actual soy sauce.

thecolortuesday t1_j0an94o wrote

So is it like a sour dough starter? Take some out, put some in?

−6

Ashiro t1_j0b9fs8 wrote

Did you read the article fully?

She said she has 2/3rds of the actual 300yo soy sauce left.

Scoobydoomed t1_j0alrmn wrote

When was the last time you heard of a food that is over 300 years old and is still edible? I think you are missing the point here...

idahononono t1_j0aml8p wrote

I think the Egyptian honey is still the king of this category though!