Submitted by payter_m8r t3_114udsz in massachusetts

Hey y'all,

This summer I will be traveling to MA to scout out potential candidates for a new place to live. I am 31(M) single with no kids and I am a teacher in Texas. Lived in this state my entire life. I'm over it and I'm ready for something better. Always liked Massachusetts and decided I want to try a new start there. My question is where do y'all think is a good place to live? I was thinking about scouting out towns along Interstate 495.

I'm looking for something that is relatively affordable for a single teacher. I figured living in big cities is probably pretty pricey for a teacher salary (I'm used to Texas's low wages for teachers). Are there any towns on 495 that are pretty affordable or really nice to live in? It would be nice to be in a town that has access to trains to I could venture into Boston without having to worry about parking and whatnot. I've living in East Texas (the most backwards, boring part of Texas) for the past three years and would like to avoid living somewhere that is void of things to do. I know you can't have your cake and eat it too but I'm sure there is somewhere that is a fairly good in-between of not outrageously high cost of living and not completely boring.

If not towns along 495, any other recommendations for places to live in MA? Places close to civilization or places that have access to easy travel to the big cities? I am a pretty big concert goer and foodie so I enjoy having access to these things. I am used to having to travel for these things as East Texas has nothing and that Texas, in general, takes forever to travel across to do something fun. I plan on renting at first in order to establish a foothold in your lovely state.

I would appreciate the feedback and don't worry, I'm a pretty progressive-minded person so you don't have to worry about me bringing any backwoods, ignorant, stereotypical Texan mentality to y'all's state.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jg429 t1_j8y1ow3 wrote

Not what you asked, but make sure your teaching license will be valid here, MA has pretty strict educator guidelines and will not accept licenses from all states. Although with the teacher shortage, they may be more lenient with hiring someone and letting them work on getting appropriate licensure in a set amount of time.

I live in Worcester on a teacher's salary. It's not bad, but it's gotten a lot more expensive since I bought my house in 2012. I probably could not afford to buy here now.

payter_m8r OP t1_j8y2p84 wrote

Yeah I figured there would be some extra exams I would have to take in order to teach in a different state.

knowslesthanjonsnow t1_j8zkpvf wrote

Just FYI they aren’t easy and are sort of pricey. And there’s a few of them.

Pale_Satisfaction798 t1_j8zvc66 wrote

I’m currently in school for early childhood in New Hampshire because I can pay in state. Would it not be worth it to complete school in NH if I want to teach in mass? Kind of just looking for whatever’s cheapest and if teachers in NH make more, I would probably settle

knowslesthanjonsnow t1_j8zx1a1 wrote

I believe teachers in MA make more but I’m unfamiliar with NH so I wouldn’t take my word for it. I think there are more tests for MA but do believe most of New England has at least some reciprocal requirements.

Pale_Satisfaction798 t1_j924blf wrote

Thank you!! Grew up in mass, moved to NH so I decided on snhu because it’s cheap and i was allowed in with only my HISET (high school equivalency). Is it possible to get my associates in NH and bachelors in MA?

DecisionOk757 t1_j91s38t wrote

I think it would be beneficial for you to finish in mass If that’s where you plan to teach. You’re gonna have to take your MTELs regardless in order to get licensed in Massachusetts. I’m in elementary education and the school I’m at focuses on prep for it

MasPerrosPorFavor t1_j92huff wrote

Just make sure to pass your MTELs if you want to teach in Mass. Hiring committees don't usually care where your degree is from, as long as you have it.

piggyazlea t1_j8yujye wrote

My suggestion would be to get a job first. There are many teacher candidates and not enough jobs, unless you’re certified in a high demand area like math, science, EL, or sped. You also need your masters in addition to a MA teaching license WITH an SEI endorsement. You will not be offered a job without them.

SharpCookie232 t1_j8ywrpz wrote

I think OP might be in for a bit of an unpleasant surprise in regards to the lack of a teacher shortage here in MA. Also, with the ESSER funds running out, a lot of districts are cutting staff. But, as you've said, if he'she is in STEM, special education, or TESOL, he'she should be ok. That SEI course is intense.

OP, you should check MA DESE's website and start looking into whether your credentials will be accepted here before you start moving.

piggyazlea t1_j8yxqcy wrote

I think so, too. It is not like other places in the US. Teaching is a popular profession in MA, and the requirements are a lot more intense and difficult than just “taking a few exams.” Our exams are a lot worse to pass than the Praxis, which is what TX has.

bryanhealey t1_j8zh33m wrote

we also pay better, second highest average salary in the country. not gonna get rich or anything, but it's not the pittance in some states.

piggyazlea t1_j8zigfd wrote

Gotta factor in cost of living. Some districts don’t pay enough for one (single) person to make it with the cost of living.

MasPerrosPorFavor t1_j92hj4o wrote

Underprivileged schools will definitely hire without a masters or SEI endorsement as long as you promise to get them. Need that Mass license though.

Source - was just on hiring committees for my school. We can't afford people with their masters.

piggyazlea t1_j92mrf0 wrote

Thanks for your insight.

OP wants enough money to have a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice place close to Boston or a straight shot to the city on a single person salary. If a school can’t afford to pay people with a masters, he’s probably not interested in that place to begin with. Sounds like he wants a salary comparable to Boston Public or Newton with his preferences.

payter_m8r OP t1_j93cx8y wrote

I teach 5th grade science so maybe that’ll help.

the-court-house t1_j8y0y8t wrote

Hi! I'm a teacher in MA. Feel free tonreach of you have any education questions.

wickaboaggroove t1_j8yasgl wrote

I think at the very least; things will probably feel a lot closer together here; in NE in general; so probably traffic and limited daylight during fall and winter will be your limiting factors of what you’d like to do. Wherever you end up; make at least a couple of neighbor acquaintances, they may not act friendly at first, but will also probably help dig you out and help you if it decides winter is still a thing here.

the-court-house t1_j8yo6x8 wrote

There's a saying I heard about New Englanders: "we're not nice, but we're kind."

LackingUtility t1_j8ypzor wrote

>Wherever you end up; make at least a couple of neighbor acquaintances, they may not act friendly at first, but will also probably help dig you out and help you if it decides winter is still a thing here.

They won't introduce themselves to you - that would be unthinkably intrusive and rude. But if you start the conversation, they'll continue it.

boilermakerteacher t1_j8ykenu wrote

As a Massachusetts teacher I wouldn’t move anywhere here without a job lined up. Since you can apply over the whole state I would then figure out housing after. It’s HIGHLY competitive up here, so not sure what you are certified in, but I hope it’s physics to give you the most possible districts. And yes, you will need a masters within 10 years if you plan on staying teaching here. Happy to answer any teaching questions you might have.

payter_m8r OP t1_j92sd38 wrote

Oh I don’t plan on moving there until I’ve found something. This it just a trip to look at different towns. Im not that much of a risk taker. I figured a post like this would be good for finding out some information on town AND shaking that teacher tree to see what falls out. If there’s one thing I believe it’s all about who you know, now what you know.

HunterGraccus t1_j8yr4vi wrote

Western MA is a good bet if you like a less crowded area. Springfield, Ludlow, Westfield, Chicopee, anywhere in the Pioneer valley. It is cheaper to live out here, but not much. A teacher's salary will be a bit tight. but doable. You start around 48K and 20 years in you are in the high 80's or 90K with excellent Union protections. It has fewer social outlets for a young person, so you will have to seek out cool things to do. Also we are close to Hartford, Boston, New York, the Cape, and the CT shore. If you are a Math, Science, or SPED teacher you should do OK. Other subject areas will be more difficult to land a job.

People will disparage Western MA because it is not as fabulously wealthy as the other parts of MA, but it has great natural beauty and areas where you will be able to live comfortably on a teacher salary provided you don't need to buy a house.

rolandofgilead41089 t1_j8yzxp1 wrote

I will also strongly advocate for Western MA and the Pioneer Valley. It's a wonderful area with a lot of really great communities and school districts, especially if OP is looking for a small town connection with their students.

nkdeck07 t1_j8zuz71 wrote

Seconding, my brother actually teaches in Springfield and loves it. He and his wife have a way higher standard of living then they did in Revere just cause it's so much cheaper out there. There's honestly also a pretty decent amount to do, the 5 colleges area is fantastic.

XoeDanger t1_j92as62 wrote

Pioneer Valley is great, and it contains a very strong pro-education vibe (see also: 5 College area around Northampton/Amherst)

corinini t1_j8yi7i8 wrote

Lowell might fit the bill. It's somewhat affordable, has things to do, decent food, and has a commuter rail stop that goes to Boston. It also has concerts and festivals in it's own right. It's not the "nicest" place but it's not bad. UMass Lowell is there so it has a decent number of younger people.

nightshade448 t1_j8yj5ef wrote

Agree with Lowell. Lots going on there and some affordable housing still. Also check out Worcester.

Dunwich_Horror_ t1_j923qui wrote

Worcester has been aggressively gentrifying since 2019. You can literally see the luxury condos sprouting up and spreading across Kelly square. Rents are creeping up into the 2k/mo for a studio arenas

catgotcha t1_j9185j6 wrote

I live just south of Lowell. It's pretty dynamite but it has a very sketchy vibe in many areas. That being said, it's a very popular arts and culture hub and has retained much of its history. It almost feels underdiscovered and underexplored.

whereswilkie t1_j8yb2gf wrote

I grew up in the Boston area- 7miles north. It's great, lots of fun culture to join in on. I now live just outside 495. I love it. I did commute to Boston from slightly west of 495 for two years and it was a mental health nightmare (that i only realized after i changed jobs).

There are great areas around 495 that have varying prices of homes - Hudson is kind of the middle side. It has a nice downtown with restaurants, a rail trail, and nearby a large shopping plaza with big chain stores but pretty much one of every kind of store so it's helpful.

The boroughs are nice areas too (west, north, and south).

If you like the outdoors i really recommend central MA. I had no idea how great it was when living in/around Boston. Central MA starts just west of 495. Worcester is "getting nicer" it has good parts and bad parts, but overall improving. And Wachusett Mt and Wachusett reservoir have really nice hiking trails kind of spread out everywhere.

So nothing is big and metropolitan out here. But the commuter rail isn't terrible (it's not great to take it daily, but to go out for a night in town without driving is fantastic).

Edit spelling

NativeMasshole t1_j8zk514 wrote

Oh geez, just wait til you find out about western Mass!

whereswilkie t1_j910zqu wrote

No! Western MA is a gem and will be kept a secret, thank you.

000neg t1_j9002nu wrote

Beware thar be dragons!! Western mass for lyphe!

inky-doo t1_j8yjdv0 wrote

Merrimac Valley is pretty nice. I live in Haverhill, and it is the start of the commuter rail into Boston (when it is working). Also it is near New Hampshire which is tax-free.

bv8ma t1_j8yngcu wrote

Hey neighbor! I'll second Haverhill and the surrounding area, you have the commuter rail and it's further north so a bit shorter ride to beaches and Maine too. Haverhill has some good restaurants downtown too.

sedevilc2 t1_j91l82s wrote

woot woot, another Hillie here! I've always liked how Haverhill is relatively close to the mountains, the shore and the city.

OP, if you are not wedded to teaching, there are loads of other job opportunities. For example, the utility industry is screaming for analysts and struggling to fill positions. I have an engineering degree and my linked in is full of job ops in that field.

new_Australis t1_j8z6xqn wrote

To be honest. I love reading posts like these and immediately started laughing my ass off when you mentioned living close to Boston on a teacher's salary.

Honestly. Your best option would be Western Massachusetts specifically the City of Springfield. This city had a bad reputation something like 20 years ago, hell in 2011 it was bad but today Springfield is an amazing place to live in.

There is so much diversity, history and things to do. Oh and the jobs, lots and lots and lots of jobs. Specially in the public sector.

It is surprisingly affordable not as much as it used to be in 2019 but it is a lot more affordable than Worcester or Boston Metro.

People from other states have this idea that the further away from the city the cheaper it gets... that is not true in Massachusetts, people here value their privacy. The further you go the more expensive it gets. The cities are the usually the cheapest areas to live in with the exception being Boston Metro

Check out Springfield and it's surrounding towns. Don't listen to the people who shit on this city. Most of them don't live there or have never even visited they mostly mouth off what someone else has told them.

This city has changed so much, there is so much money being invested here. You have access with a relatively short drive to Boston, NYC, Hartford, Upstate NY, Connecticut, Vermont and New Hampshire.

If you are adamant on living near Boston, your cheapest option will be to rent a room which are going for about $1000 at the moment.

Western Mass is the place to be in my opinion.

I love living in this state. This winter was extremely mild if we could even have called it a winter. But most winters here are harsh. Even with the harsh winters we chose to live hete because the quality of life is high, the incomes are high, the quality education is high even on public schools. There is good public support that the state provides (with your tax dollars) to get you back on your feet if you fall on hard times. Like Mass health and the FMLA.

Overall this state is awesome and wherever you chose to go you will succeed.

Note that we have a lot of traffic. This is true. We moved out of Chelsea Mass because the traffic was awful it was fucking awful. A ten minute drive without traffic was usually 50 minutes bumper to bumper at peak hour.

Traffic used to be light in Springfield but after covid hit holy shit we had so many people move here. The traffic has definitely picked up.

The houses here are still affordable on a 45k yr wage. Have a good time searching for your next place to live.

Own_Inspector_285 t1_j9116hw wrote

I second this. OP should really look into W Mass as there is so much to do here.

Giving_Cat t1_j91jstd wrote

The only things wrong with Longmeadow, Agawam and West Springfield are that they are Springfield adjacent.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_j8xw55j wrote

Howdy.

Progressive Texans welcome.

We can be much more helpful if you provide more detail about renting vs owning and if you will be buying a home, a guesstimate on the price range?

payter_m8r OP t1_j8xxzyh wrote

Hello! Definitely renting at first. Gotta get a foothold first before committing to purchasing a house.

J0E_Blow t1_j8xyjov wrote

Pretty sure you need a masters to be a teacher in MA

payter_m8r OP t1_j8xzvfe wrote

Really? For all grade levels?

piggyazlea t1_j8ytuxn wrote

Yes. All public schools and grade levels require a masters. You can teach at a private school without one, though.

bwma t1_j8yqba7 wrote

It doesn't apply to private schools, so that option is available

Otherwise-Sky1292 t1_j8yvuzy wrote

Pretty sure those pay much less and lack the benefits of public school districts, though

Fantastic_Mango_2827 t1_j90yj1x wrote

Not exactly true. Waivers are available. Would be best to reach out to schools with job postings and research the options.

PsychologicalAgent64 t1_j8y1f9w wrote

Nothing in Massachusetts is affordable. Any apartment units built in the last 2/3 years are charging 1800+ for a studio. It's insanity.

new_Australis t1_j8z8mhl wrote

I wouldn't say it's insanity. Massachusetts is a very desirable place to live and people want to be here. Homes aren't being built fast enough to accommodate with locals wanting to purchase their own home and people moving here from other states. Competition high, housing is in high demand.

Homes are being built but not fast enough.

A_Man_Who_Writes t1_j8yls5x wrote

I agree it’s bad but that’s a bit of an exaggeration. A luxury apartment complex just built in my neighborhood is asking 1,600 for a 1-bed

PsychologicalAgent64 t1_j8ymk98 wrote

It is not an exaggeration. As I made this comment after recently looking at many of the new units in my area, including two in Plymouth and Kingston. I'm glad your neighborhood is seemingly cheaper, but my comment is still 100% accurate.

A_Man_Who_Writes t1_j8ype9e wrote

How so?

“Nothing in Massachusetts” implies the entire state. You’re only referencing Eastern MA. In the last 2/3 years there have been plenty of apartments built that cost less than 1,800 for a studio. So it’s not 100% accurate.

LackingUtility t1_j8yqfra wrote

>“Nothing in Massachusetts” implies the entire state. You’re only referencing Eastern MA.

According to my map, there's nothing west of Springfield other than the badlands and a note that says "here be dragons".

PsychologicalAgent64 t1_j8yq4w1 wrote

Did you not see the part where she specifically mentioned 495 and being able to make quick trips into Boston. Makes you wonder why I would focus on Eastern Mass huh? But who knows maybe she'll move to North Adams and enjoy the almost 3 hour drive one way. But hey, you are right, I'm wrong, you win the internet for today.

HazyDavey68 t1_j8zuhrj wrote

If the person is coming from TX, a trip from Springfield to Boston is a quick trip. The trip from Boston to Boston is where you get hung up.

snerdaferda t1_j8zdmp2 wrote

One bedrooms in friggen Upton in a new development are $2000 for a one bedroom. I grew up there- it’s insanity.

PsychologicalAgent64 t1_j8zdrot wrote

That can't be true, some other guy told me only Eastern Mass is crazy expensive and western is reasonable. He was very adamant.

jtraf t1_j8yiunm wrote

>Always liked Massachusetts

Where did you visit before? As someone who lived down south and now MA is my new home, you are making a great decision. We got our jobs figured out first and then moved, so I recommend applying for jobs first. Last thing you want is to commute across Boston because work and home are opposite ends.

If you are outside of Boston and looking for weekend trips on public transit, check out the MBTA (public transit) maps here: https://www.mbta.com/maps

Just stay flexible! If you find a job you like but don't like living in the town, move. Rip the band-aid off and come up and figure it out as you enjoy all the Commonwealth has to offer.

payter_m8r OP t1_j93e8ry wrote

I visited Boston and loved it! This trip to just to look at town. I definitely plan on finding a job first. I’m pretty flexible and willing to commute as much as needed to get a foothold. Even working where I can. I get along with all walks of life so even if I could get a job in a area that is desperate for teachers. Any outlet I can to establish a life in MA

jtraf t1_j98mep2 wrote

Awesome! Well you do you, but don't get consumed with this 495 idea. If you want to live and work in the City of Boston, it is possible. Is it tremendously expensive? Yes. But rewarding? Also yes. You may end up in a shit hole 4th floor walk up with no A/C or parking for $3000/mo, but it's an experience. Use that time to learn the MBTA and scout around. Exactly, get established and the rest will come. Bon voyage

A_Man_Who_Writes t1_j8yms8g wrote

I’d say Worcester and Lowell both sufficiently fit your description. Swiftly Developing cities with pretty vibrant downtowns, a commuter rail line straight into Boston, and still relatively affordable (though it’s getting a lot worse especially for a single income). The kicker is that they’re both still a bit gritty. If you haven’t been to former industrial towns in New England, you’ll understand when you get here. But don’t let that out you off. They’re safe.

My personal pick would be Worcester. 2nd largest city by population in New England and it’s growing very fast. Lots of food and bars and shopping and what-not. Also lots of parks and nature.

bonanzapineapple t1_j94rucj wrote

Yeah, if the only place in New England you've been is Boston, you might not understand that Lowell and Worcester are definitely grittier than Boston in my experience

-CalicoKitty- t1_j8yk1ui wrote

>easy travel to the big cities

Boston is really the only "big" city around. Worcester and Providence are much smaller.

Maybe check out Waltham, Framingham, Hudson, Worcester area, Leominster, Lowell, Lawrence, or Quincy.

kitkatklyng t1_j91frs7 wrote

Hello, fellow Texan transplant! My husband and I are both from Texas and moved up to MA in 2019. We also do not have kids and couldn’t have made a better decision for ourselves. Originally, we moved to Everett, which is closer to the city but is really getting pricey (and busy) now because of the casino.

We bought a house in 2021 farther out than we wanted to be from Boston in Swampscott. Honestly, we could not have made a better decision. We live right on the commuter line, literally three houses down from the stop. And can easily be into the city at north station in 25 minutes. Many people will hate on the commuter line and the T (the subway), but speaking as another Texan who never had any other choice but to drive, it’s changed our lives. You can also travel by train/commuter line to a good majority of the Boston area and even down to Providence and up to Maine. Last weekend, we took the trains from our house to Worcester just to fuck around and get lunch. It’s a great way to explore the area.

I would suggest looking at places along the commuter lines. Keep in mind the further out you go on the lines, the more you will pay to take the train into the city due to zoned pricing. So, you have to find that sweet spot.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want any additional tips moving from the hellscape that is now Texas (which isn’t the Texas we grew up in, love and long for). My husband smokes a mean brisket, which is very hard to come by up here.

ElegantSheepherder t1_j917x3k wrote

In ma, maybe look at Franklin. You can get a nice one bedroom condo for rent for about 2200/month, close to both Foxboro for concerts and train to Boston. I might also suggest living in Providence. Better food and nightlife than any Boston suburb.

[deleted] t1_j8zhx67 wrote

[deleted]

pwlocke t1_j926ckm wrote

Agree - these (and other similar towns like Ayer and Harvard) are great towns west of Boston. The towns themselves are pretty quiet. If you would like someplace with more happening, look into Lowell and Lawrence towards the north. (Also Haverhill and Amesbury). Worcester is a little further beyond 495, but there is a LOT going on without heading to Boston. Also the bigger cities provide a wider range of housing options - modern apartment complexes are fine, but the real New England rental experience would be the top floor of a triple decker in a neighborhood with restaurants, cafes and shopping within walking distance.

As someone else noted, distances are nothing here compared to East Texas. But there are great places here where you don't even need a car - you might pay more for housing, but you can lose the car payments, insurance and gasoline.

If you are already planning to rent at first you might want to splurge on being closer to things that interest you... Nightlife, the ocean, museums... so that you aren't isolated in a small bedroom community that rolls up its streets at night.

Live-Breath9799 t1_j8yirh9 wrote

Depending on what you teach could depend on where you end up. STEM teachers seem to be the most in demand. Some districts are what I call starter districts with high turnover or people who move on to another district. The pay may seem like a lot compared to Texas but we do have a high cost of living here. All public schools have their contracts available online.

HazyDavey68 t1_j8ztlpm wrote

Housing is expensive obviously, but if you’re coming from TX, you won’t feel like it takes much time to get places in MA. Depending on where you work, you might find something nearby that’s somewhat affordable. Welcome to MA!

NewtonsFig t1_j906p6w wrote

try fairhaven but steer clear of new bedford or fall river.

Mass is a different kind of animal. Its MUCH different than the south, but we love everyone even if we have a funny way of showing it.

Dseltzer1212 t1_j91vtat wrote

Smart boy! Florida and Texas are in a race to the bottom with their authoritarian governors

Chewyville t1_j925f4t wrote

Many teachers are quitting in MA due to the wages. Many younger teachers are taking them positions at a low wage/salary. MA might not be the best place for you

sarah_messing t1_j8yphkp wrote

Would highly recommend Haverhill! Right on 495, 40 mins to Boston (without traffic) but has a commuter rail and Amtrak station for easy access to Boston or north to Maine. Great downtown with shops and restaurants and cute neighborhoods, and very affordable. I’m biased because I moved here 10 months ago but have loved it so far!

HappeeHousewives82 t1_j8z76zg wrote

Have you ever thought about trying a year at a boarding school? There's a lot in MA and you can live at the school for free and get food etc as well. Good way to try out the state while obtaining whatever paperwork you need for public school And save money/travel while you figure out where you want to be more long term?

bryanhealey t1_j8zgh26 wrote

I grew up northwest of 495 (Leominster, Lunenburg). beautiful area, more affordable (relatively speaking, that is), still a decent amount to do (I mean, it's not the city, but it's not empty, either), and lots of great schools. Littleton and Clinton are also lovely, and closer to 495.

Golfball_whacker_guy t1_j91ek9q wrote

Ayer-Shirley-Leominster has train access. More house/land for your money. It’s quiet and I love it.

TheBlackAllen t1_j91wbfr wrote

Come on down here to the Southcoast for the real seafood! New Bedford, Fairhaven, Mattapoisett, Marion if you want to be on the water. Rochester, Lakeville, Freetown if you prefer the forest.

mullethunter111 t1_j927qqi wrote

Don’t. I come from a large family of MA educators. They are miserable, poorly paid and riding it out till retirement.

J0E_Blow t1_j8xyrwy wrote

Its okay to say y’all here, you can also say you betcha!

Son_of_Blorko t1_j8xz3gn wrote

Agreed. I've lived here roughly 50 years, and I've heard it that whole time - just without a southern drawl. It's all about how you say it.

BusyLight32 t1_j8y0olo wrote

My sister is a teacher and lives in Uxbridge. It is a developing area that is still fairly rural but has good access everything. Inside of 495 will be pretty expensive, even for rent.

What are you looking for in terms of # of bedrooms and budget? This area is quite expensive.

payter_m8r OP t1_j8y1tnv wrote

I was looking for a 2 best room if possible but it al l depends on pay too. If I can afford it on teacher salary then yes, if now, I’ll make due with 1 bedroom

BusyLight32 t1_j8y33d8 wrote

Depending on where you go, you could be looking at $1800 min for a 2 bedroom, $2100 seems to be more the norm.

Seaworthiness222 t1_j8y63da wrote

Areas directly near ocean or commuting time to Boston are pricey. Jump out to just beyond and hour and 15 minutes from Boston and affordability will jump.

There are different requirements for teaching here so you'll want to make sure that's sorted first.

SliceProfessional461 t1_j8y7x07 wrote

Teacher salaries vary widely. New teachers may start at $50k. Gain some seniority, get a masters, pick a good district, and your easily clearing $100k+.

Current-Photo2857 t1_j8yko6o wrote

I’m a teacher in western MA with almost 20 years in, two masters, and I’m barely clearing $80k, can only afford a condo, not a house in my town.

new_Australis t1_j8z8qht wrote

At 80k in western Mass... What's stopping you from succeeding?

knowslesthanjonsnow t1_j8zl93d wrote

Succeeding as in buying a house? 80k pre tax isn’t very high. It’s take home about 60k

new_Australis t1_j8zm5dj wrote

Houses here are 150k and up. Mortgages cost less than an apartment. Wages are relatively high thus making house payments at an 80k salary not out of reach.

Some people like being able to move around and not being tied up to a mortgage.

knowslesthanjonsnow t1_j8zprpg wrote

I have been looking and maybe it’s my parameters but nothing is remotely close to that cheap.

A quick search right now has given me ~300-450k for old homes that either need some moderate renovation or a total gut job. Or downvote Springfield for 350k

knowslesthanjonsnow t1_j8zuupu wrote

Sure, perhaps those fit OP. They wouldn’t come up on my searches though so I was unaware those prices were possible.

SliceProfessional461 t1_j8yl6ob wrote

Salary is dependent on location for sure. I have a relative that just retired from Boston Public Schools with a salary pushing $130k. YRMV.

warriorofinternets t1_j8yakyy wrote

Are you going to be looking for schools to teach underprivileged communities or more high end boarding schools in elite communities? I think that will make a big difference where you should start.

Look up the mbta commuter rails and see if any of the schools you’re interested in fall on or near those. They are reliable and cheap and can save you the pain of car commuting.

Also the red line goes south from Boston to Quincy/Braintree, so f you want access to the city it’s nice also to live along the red line so you can take the T into downtown Boston whenever you want to go out drinking or do something.

1000thusername t1_j8ylrnl wrote

Do you know where you will be teaching yet? That would help us better focus you toward some reasonable places with reasonable commutes.

And (future) welcome to Massachusetts. Congrats on your (future) escape from hell.

Electronic_Company64 t1_j914mh8 wrote

Plymouth is also a good choice, but maybe live in one of the surrounding towns. Real Estate is expensive.

catgotcha t1_j918c6s wrote

Why 495 specifically? That's basically all the way around the outer edge of the metro region so you'd have to be more specific.

If you want to be close to a transit stop, Melrose/Malden is a pretty good spot. My family and I lived in that area for 10 years before moving further out. Lots happening here and the Orange Line is right there for those quick commutes into the big city.

thehybrid69 t1_j91crb3 wrote

I grew up in Newburyport, MA.. around 45 minutes north of Boston. The public schools there are awesome and the town is beautiful and right by the water. PM me if you have any questions!

George_GeorgeGlass t1_j92go0s wrote

Same. Love it. But it’s expensive. Not far enough from Boston to see affordability. NBPT is a Boston commuter suburb now. My husbands commute can be 1.5-2 hours either way depending.

Living-Macaroon-9126 t1_j91d6fd wrote

Consider charters and private schools where you can take the exam for certification and it works for a few years.

NoJacket8798 t1_j91jdtu wrote

Live along both a highway and a Commuter Rail Line, per se Reading, Needham, Concord, Natick, Franklin, Attleboro, Kingston, Littleton, and Leominster.

RumSwizzle508 t1_j91oo7t wrote

I might be crucified for this, but also look at private schools. Some of the best schools (private or public) are in MA. From what I understand, they don’t have the same licensing requirements, but the pay is less.

I would especially look at the ISL boarding schools as students are highly motivated and very smart. Also, those schools have housing for teachers.

Starrion t1_j91r4to wrote

Welcome! You might want to check out some of the towns near Lowell, Lowell has a wide variety of different international foods and easy transport into Boston. One thing you’ll learn about Massachusetts is that were packed pretty tight here. I’ve seen people in Texas go 10 miles to their mailbox. Here 10 miles will put you in towns that are completely different from each other. Traffic is also significantly worse.

leilahamaya t1_j91wn01 wrote

its actually harder to find affordable housing in the parts of mass that are as you describe. if you want to be in south eastern mass, it is the most expensive part, although this is where most of the population centers are, most of the jobs are, most of the kind of cultural stuff you are into would be. there are some bubbles of cheaper prices, and affordable rents, but this is definitely a you get what you pay for situation, in that many of those areas arent desirable to live in for cultural reasons and general way of those bubbles.

my hometown area, around bristol county, used to be more the way you describe, a pretty short hop to a lot of interesting places, between the cape and boston, and closest to providence which is a fun little city, but much cheaper and nice towns.

since the T went in, many decades ago now but after i was growing up here... it definitely changed, especially in price. theres still some reasonable deals to be found, depending on what you think of as reasonable, its definitely far better than boston, the cape, but the nicest parts of that were really rural and more affordable back then, acushnet, freetown, rochester are all neat places, and then marion, mattapoisett and plymouth have nice coastal areas. since the middleborough t came in though, and it was a commute to boston on train, it definitely changed and the population and prices went way up.

Plymouth and Carver and Wareham are some neat places, almost on the cape, but still some better deals and more open land.

but i think the western part of the state is the best, being a rural woodsy type myself, and definitely worlds away in price, land is downright cheap in western mass, upstate new york, southenr vermont and that general region. there are some expensive bubbles, but compared to the rest of mass, doable and what even i would call affordable all the way to rock bottom cheap. although some of it is deeply rural theres a lot of population centers, and culture, in amherst and North Hampton, all the way down to springfield. Westfield is a neat small town i like, off to the side of all that, or up from there in the north is greenfield. this is pretty rural, but saved some cultural and in opportunity by proximity to north hampton and amherst. ah some ideas. this is my favorite part of the state, although i like woodsy area and sleepy town, though i do enjoy a good coffee shop and some peeps to talk with, live music and art.

jaysun13 t1_j9249zr wrote

Read your post, what you described almost sums up Norfolk. For me 495 is 10-18 minutes depending which exit I aim for. But maybe you find somewhere closer than that. The commuter rail that goes into back bay and south station is in the center of town 3 minutes from me.

While Norfolk itself doesn’t have a ton outside of a few pubs, it is central to a handful of towns in every direction that has pretty much everything. And for this reason is why it’s going to be a bit cheaper than some of the other towns.

Also if possible try to find a house with a nice south facing roof. Electricity is .41 kWh now, with my solar in locked in at .14 kWh

Breakers2020 t1_j92b7e8 wrote

Check out opportunities for teaching roles in Springfield. Relative to cost of living, it's one of the best paying districts for teachers in MA. Real estate is relatively inexpensive in Springfield and many surrounding towns, too. It's close enough to Boston for day trips.

crazyglue111 t1_j92c2nt wrote

Look in the Franklin Ma area it’s right off 495 and only about 35-40 mins away from 3 major cities Boston, Providence, and Worcester. Good schools in that area and lots to see and do in the area. I would try looking there.

Katd75 t1_j96ophg wrote

Norton MA has the xfinity center for concerts and 495. Towns around include Attleboro, Mansfield, Foxboro with Gillette Stadium. Going rate for teachers at max salary might be take home $4800 a month but a 2 bedroom apartment will run you $2000. Factor in car, groceries, living expenses and you aren’t saving much. Every single teacher I know works a second job summers, nights, weekends to make the numbers work.

beta_vulgaris t1_j9atzju wrote

If you are a certified Middle School Science teacher, you can easily find employment in RI. The Providence Public Schools have generous hiring bonuses right now for hard to staff positions including the sciences and they will honor whatever teacher step you are on. I got hired at top step with all the bonuses this year and I'm very happy in my position so far. Rhode Island is much more affordable as well, so you can live comfortably and enjoy the benefits of living in Southern New England.

humanzee70 t1_j8z40ac wrote

Not sure what your preference for 495 is all about, but check out towns served by the T or the commuter rail if you want easy access to all Boston has to offer. Quincy is more affordable than Boston, but still city vibe and minutes from Boston.

MrsMurphysChowder t1_j901mis wrote

Rehoboth is still quite rural and affordable, and you're near XFinity center, a concert venue, and near Providence, RI. I agree with others that you should have a job lined up before coming if you want to stay in teaching.

Yusef_D_Blonk t1_j91jtdv wrote

Stay in Texas this state is going to shambles

WinterIsHere0101 t1_j91wgjs wrote

I think you could have probably asked your questions without insulting your previous home and the people there repeatedly. The further you go from Boston the cheaper it will be. You will find good people opertunity to teach almost anywhere in the state.

eekns t1_j90xay3 wrote

Welcome to freedom ☺️

−1

TheHoundsRevenge t1_j8zkidm wrote

Ewwww to anyone suggesting Lowell or Worcester. Try the Southcoast of Mass and or plymouth county.

−5

whatnot444 t1_j8xxu82 wrote

It would be more helpful if you mentioned your budget. Also - and I'm sure some will down vote me for this - if you don't want people to think you've brought a "backwoods, ignorant, stereotypical Texan mentality" with you, you might want to drop the use of "y'all" (especially "y'alls" - that made my eyes bleed, how is that even a word). Other than that, welcome.

−25

payter_m8r OP t1_j8xz68f wrote

Sorry but that is a product of 31 years living here. It AIN'T going anywhere lolol. As far as budget, it's hard to determine. I haven't looked at the pay scale for teacher there so I am not really sure on budget and here in Texas, how much you make as a teacher depends on years of experience and where you live. Poor school districts like mine don't pay anything compared to cities. I do know a 2 bedroom something would be preferable.

inky-doo t1_j8yj0qm wrote

eh don't mind him. I'm from Oklahoma originally, I still say y'all occasionally even after 18 years. No one bats an eye. Pronounce "aunt" like "ant", on the other hand, and oh boy you will not hear the end of it.

lelekfalo t1_j8z5ddl wrote

People around here think I'm actually apologizing when my Midwestern "Ope, Sorry!" slips out.

individual_328 t1_j8ycrmq wrote

Oh fuck off.

OP, ignore this clown. Many of us have traveled and lived outside of the Northeast and don't have tiny little minds like this jerk.

A_Man_Who_Writes t1_j8ym13z wrote

Lmao 10 downvotes. You predicted it!

Anyway, no disrespect to you, but we’re much more open-minded than that. Speak however you want OP.

Linux-Is-Best t1_j9288xc wrote

Opinion:

I have never once lived down south, but I sometimes say, "y`all" and "you'll" -- There is nothing wrong with it, in my opinion.